closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car question again: Someone who knows what he is doing with electronics

Car question again: Someone who knows what he is doing with electronics

Hello again.

I was frustrated of having to stick my phone with Maps or Waze on the screen of my car satnav (out of date maps, and lower quality software anyway) and decided to get one of those retrofit system that give you Apple CarPlay.
    While I was at it, I took their offer of a bundled reversing camera in the boot handle.
    Great. Genuinely pleased.
    Then I looked on YouTube for a video on how to do it... and realised this could end very badly
    Therefore, here I am again asking if anyone in roughly my area could (or knew someone who could) fit for/with me.

Car is a BMW F11 from 2013, if it makes a difference. TIA
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Cant help with the fitting, but I insisted my recent new car was upgraded to Apple CarPlay, but had never actually used it. It's really disappointing and looks a little child like. I prefer to use my iphone 12 ProMax (ie large screen) on a cradle.

Also, CarPlay mutes all incoming messages so you dont see / cant read them until you stop. Not sure if this can be over-ridden, and seems safe, but I do like to see the notifications pop up on my phone screen, so I know if I need to pull over and read them (urgent stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Hello again.

I was frustrated of having to stick my phone with Maps or Waze on the screen of my car satnav (out of date maps, and lower quality software anyway) and decided to get one of those retrofit system that give you Apple CarPlay.
    While I was at it, I took their offer of a bundled reversing camera in the boot handle.
    Great. Genuinely pleased.
    Then I looked on YouTube for a video on how to do it... and realised this could end very badly
    Therefore, here I am again asking if anyone in roughly my area could (or knew someone who could) fit for/with me.

Car is a BMW F11 from 2013, if it makes a difference. TIA
    Is it one of the android units? Apart from the reversing camera, the actual head unit is meant to be pretty easy to do, all plug and play. The difficult bit is getting a power source to the reversing camera if you are not good with electrics, running the cables should be fairly easy.

I have a M240i and have been tempted to do the same upgrade with the reversing camera. Where did you get it from?

I got it from Bavarian Automotive.
    It does both iOS and Android I believe.

I found this installation and I agree it's probably not the end of the world, but I'd rather help than sit on my own doing it. Not that there is much to go wrong if you break a connection, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I got it from Bavarian Automotive.
    It does both iOS and Android I believe.

I found this installation and I agree it's probably not the end of the world, but I'd rather help than sit on my own doing it. Not that there is much to go wrong if you break a connection, of course
    I am a bit far otherwise I would offer to help. The video seems pretty detailed and it only took him 20 mins, so give yourself a few hours and take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Cant help with the fitting, but I insisted my recent new car was upgraded to Apple CarPlay, but had never actually used it. It's really disappointing and looks a little child like. I prefer to use my iphone 12 ProMax (ie large screen) on a cradle.

Also, CarPlay mutes all incoming messages so you dont see / cant read them until you stop.
    It doesn’t on mine, not on iMessage or WhatsApp anyway, it reads them out and let’s me dictate replies, I’ve found it invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I am a bit far otherwise I would offer to help. The video seems pretty detailed and it only took him 20 mins, so give yourself a few hours and take your time.
    Thank you. I may give it a try this WE

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

Also, CarPlay mutes all incoming messages so you dont see / cant read them until you stop. Not sure if this can be over-ridden, and seems safe, but I do like to see the notifications pop up on my phone screen, so I know if I need to pull over and read them (urgent stuff).
    You can turn it off in “do not disturb “ menu