closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 188 of 357 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238288 ... LastLast
Results 9,351 to 9,400 of 17815

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The TL1000S was the widow maker due to the rotary rear damper; the TL1000R was much improved.

Most TL1000s’ around today have had it replaced with a standard shock absorber.
    Funnily enough I was going to replace the rear shock when I bought it. I then came to my senses and thought I’d keep it all original as it’ll still run rings around my riding abilities in stock form. Changing the cans was essential though:) It’s only done 9500 miles in its life .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Lamb cooking so out for a short ride out

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I agree with LTF on that one, speaking as a Street Triple owner. The essence of a naked is a sensible riding position and a good spread of torque, instead of a speeding ticket and a trip to the chiropractor. Good handling and good throttle response are certainly also desirable qualities in a naked, and lower weight helps with that. Looks are optional.

PS - @Stanford, I agree that looks were a major selling point for the Monster, and the new one is at best an acquired taste. But on reflection, the frame from a Pinegale V2 and the engine from the supersports 950 is a good recipe and if it’s not as pretty as the old one, I can just about live with that, I like to ride. If I wanted it just to look good, Ducati make prettier bikes than Monsters.
    I'm sure it will be a fine bike...but even with the twin cans, it's just not a Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Enjoy it Tony, be interested to hear your experience.
    ”I’m giving you a strong B... you can think of it as a B+”

What a great day, helped by perfect weather. I’d recommend it to anyone.

Master
    That one is gorgeous Adrien!
    Cheers Matt. She was a real looker, especially with the full Termi system and lots of the Ducati Performance carbon tarting her up. Spent ages tracking the system down and ended up importing it from sunny Cal. But truth be told, the S4RS wasn’t all that to ride. The 999 Testastretta was too highly strung for the chassis, and it never really gelled together.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ”I’m giving you a strong B... you can think of it as a B+”

What a great day, helped by perfect weather. I’d recommend it to anyone.
    Well done mate.

Agreed on the recommendation - I did Bikesafe shortly after passing my test and found it a really valuable and enjoyable day. Well worth it.

Talking of nakeds..............
    I had a quick blast on my mates new Hyper Naked today - Kwaker supercharged H2..

The roads where we met up wern`t condusive to giving it a proper test (and very busy...) but from the time i had on it i can say that it seems to have sufficient power.
    Throttle response is instantaneous followed by immediate and brutally savage acceleration enough to melt your face and bend time.
    The quick shifter gives a glorious exhaust note `brapp` on upchanges whereupon you have to endure another surge of warp-factor increase in speed.
    I was expecting the total lack of wind deflection coupled with a seating position where you are sat `on` rather than `in` it to be rather bothersome but it didn`t seem too bad. It might be different at 180mph, though.
    Not really my kinda` bike, a bit too one-dimentional and of limited practicality - where can you use all that performance safely these days?
    He likes it though, and it shares garage space with a ZZR1400 - he likes big fours with a bit of power..

Bury Hill was busy, anyone from here there today?

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Well done mate.

Agreed on the recommendation - I did Bikesafe shortly after passing my test and found it a really valuable and enjoyable day. Well worth it.
    Thank you, I loved it. Interesting to hear the comments too - far removed from the Mod 2 approach.

Master
    I don’t entirely disagree, but the old Monsters (and certainly the beauty in the previous post) were some of the only really good looking nakeds.

In terms of the new Monster, it’s clear that the engine from the 950 Supersports looks better hidden behind a fairing. But by all accounts it’s a cracker.
    Interesting comparison, I didnt realise how much weight junking the trellis frame freed up.

https://youtu.be/dFpP725_hFw

Master
    Got out on the new bike this weekend.

Ended up at Matlock Bath. Never been before, proper petrol heads meet up.

Had a couple of problems with the new bike. Dodgy battery meant my first stop was halfords to get a new one and fit it. Then it looked like it was leaking oil but after getting home on closer inspection might be coolant.

Going to run it into Yamaha today. Its still in warranty so hopefully get it sorted easily.

Tail tidy and a few other bits arrived over the weekend so going to get them all installed when the bike is back.

Last edited by bigweb; 5th April 2021 at 09:25.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I see you stopped by my weekend home, you should have dropped in for a brew!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Interesting comparison, I didnt realise how much weight junking the trellis frame freed up.

https://youtu.be/dFpP725_hFw
    That’s the thing, they couldn’t compete with Triumph, KTM, Yamaha and the rest with a bike that was so heavy. Not with Euro 5 coming in. Maybe they should have retired the classic Monster to being a cool retro cafe racer alongside (or instead of) the Scrambler, and called the new one something else.

That’s the thing, they couldn’t compete with Triumph, KTM, Yamaha and the rest with a bike that was so heavy. Not with Euro 5 coming in. Maybe they should have retired the classic Monster to being a cool retro cafe racer alongside (or instead of) the Scrambler, and called the new one something else.
    Overall, the new one is 18kg lighter than the old 821 model, 4.5kg of which saving is attributable to the new frame.
    Definitely agree it should have been a new model and not a Monster.

Maybe they should have retired the classic Monster to being a cool retro cafe racer alongside (or instead of) the Scrambler, and called the new one something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Definitely agree it should have been a new model and not a Monster.
    Also agree. The first Monster had the trellis frame and they kept it for 25+ years in one form or another. The new one may or may not be a wonderful bike but it's not a Monster.

Grumpy old man out.

I’m sure the combined talent within the Ducati strategy, marketing and sales teams gave the matter a fair amount of thought and made their decision from an informed position.

Probably more likely to get it right than a few old blokes on a watch forum, too (with whom I disagree, btw).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th April 2021 at 13:37.

I’m sure the combined talent within the Ducati strategy, marketing and sales teams gave the matter a fair amount of thought and made their decision from an informed position.

Probably more likely to get it right than a few old blokes on a watch forum, too (with whom I disagree, btw).
    You mean, like marketing and sales team from a couple of well known watchmakers who pretended their new movement was in-house? From car manufacturers who try to sell cars in Spain under the names of "Nova" or "Pajero", or in France "Etron", to name but those 3? That sort of people?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I don’t get Ducati. First they dump the trellis frame, then they dump the v twin motor, both quintessentially Ducati and neither of which they seemed too bothered about, but for some inexplicable reason the one thing they really should dump (because it is an antiquated and expensive pain in the ass to service) and they don’t is Desmo valve gear. They should bin cam belts too while they’re at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You mean, like marketing and sales team from a couple of well known watchmakers who pretended their new movement was in-house? From car manufacturers who try to sell cars in Spain under the names of "Nova" or "Pajero", or in France "Etron", to name but those 3? That sort of people?
    No.

Master
    All being well I’ll be 60 next Feb. I’m going to get a new ducati V twin with trellis frame and cam belts👍🤪

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I don’t get Ducati. First they dump the trellis frame, then they dump the v twin motor, both quintessentially Ducati and neither of which they seemed too bothered about, but for some inexplicable reason the one thing they really should dump (because it is an antiquated and expensive pain in the ass to service) and they don’t is Desmo valve gear. They should bin cam belts too while they’re at it.
    The entire company is subject to some very dubious strategic decisions. The fact it was bought over by VW/Audi some time ago and is hinted that it might be for sale again to KTM - highlights that it has never sat well in VW's portfolio. There was no business/strategic reason at all for VW to buy Ducati... other than personal ego of Winterkorn. During these years, it sadly appears that Ducati has lost its way - in particular with the latest Monster - as it eschews all the history that made Ducati famous and attracted owners. When Ducati decided to open its factory up for visitors, it showed that they understood owners wanted to be part of the history of the company. That was the era when Ducati really grew and rejuvenated itself around 2000-2012. The latest Monster - developed during these recent wilderness (but rich) VW/Audi-owned years - shows what happens when people who really have no idea just decide to make something high performing, but without value of the many other aspects of history, brand, and product competencies. I expect Ducati to be sold soonish to the likes of KTM who have shown that they are ardent biking enthusiasts first and 'get' what motorbiking is all about.

Master
    One thing’s for sure, you’d have a hard time getting the new one to look as good as the one below. Nonetheless, Ducati stands for performance with style, and they’re not about to sacrifice the performance part. The 916 wasn’t just a good looking bike, it was a good looking bike that won championships, and it wouldn’t have been the icon it is otherwise. The current generation are doing 225mph in MotoGP, and they want to win. The new Monster may be the 999 of Monsters, better but less fanciable, but I’m glad they’re not settling for making expensive ornaments. They have a better frame available and they’re going to use it.

Master

Breaking news

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Breaking News Paul Thorpe ( watch sensei) Multistrada V4s has been recalled , probably never even ridden. What has he replaced it with................An incredibly different bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    All being well I’ll be 60 next Feb. I’m going to get a new ducati V twin with trellis frame and cam belts👍🤪

60 and still riding! Love to hear it! Also, great taste
    Last edited by Adge; 5th April 2021 at 22:25.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    We’ve just had a new neighbour move in over the road. He spotted my garage door open today so came across to introduce himself and have a nose.

Nice chap. 77 years old, and was pleased to inform me that he’ll be having his Blackbird delivered from his old place in the next few weeks..

And there was me thinking he was coming to complain about the noise😈😈

We’ve just had a new neighbour move in over the road. He spotted my garage door open today so came across to introduce himself and have a nose.

Nice chap. 77 years old, and was pleased to inform me that he’ll be having his Blackbird delivered from his old place in the next few weeks..

And there was me thinking he was coming to complain about the noise😈😈
    Haha amazing neighbour!

Master
    All being well I’ll be 60 next Feb. I’m going to get a new ducati V twin with trellis frame and cam belts浪

I thought your current ( under modification) Diaval is blacker than the above, plus it has the exotic carbon bits?

Just had a call from the Training centre,, there has been a cancellation today so if I can be there in an hour my CBT is on..... Again.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

I’d say get on your bike but that’s a bit premature!

Have a good day and enjoy yourself.

All being well I’ll be 60 next Feb. I’m going to get a new ducati V twin with trellis frame and cam belts浪

nice bike (the one you have is already fine ) - though you need a 1 and 4 cylinder to complete the set :P

60 is the new 40. Have you checked the demographic of bikers in the UK recently (I'm pretty sure that 50+ is the top of the age bands)?

60 is the new 40. Have you checked the demographic of bikers in the UK recently (I'm pretty sure that 50+ is the top of the age bands)?
    That's great, I'm certainly looking forward to it. More time for the bike

That's great, I'm certainly looking forward to it. More time for the bike
    The knowledge that we no longer bounce serves to curb any over-exuberance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I thought your current ( under modification) Diaval is blacker than the above, plus it has the exotic carbon bits?
    The current one is battleship grey with grey wheels. All of the carbon and Ducati performance parts will be removed and will be going on the new one.

I fancy a new bike anyway, but I’ve used a bit of man maths to justify my purchase. The existing bike will over 3 years old and be due a big service and belts, new tyres and pads. And being completely honest, I’m not that keen on owning a Ducati that’s out of warranty.😈

CBT done!!! Chuffed to bits.

MOD 1 booked for 14th May.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post

Chris.
    Exciting times!

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Exciting times!
    Indeed good news, just worked out how long ago since I did mine...and how much scenery I visited since...enjoy but go steady

I also did the CBT yesterday, at the tender age of 43.

Not quite sure how to feel about it yet!

Nice to see new bikers joining the fold!

Nice to see new bikers joining the fold!
    Indeed - awesome news!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Indeed - awesome news!
    I enjoy winding my mate up with the term Biker. I’ve told him numerous times he’s not allowed to call himself a biker until he can adjust his own chain..😈

I enjoy winding my mate up with the term Biker. I’ve told him numerous times he’s not allowed to call himself a biker until he can adjust his own chain..
    and you do his chain for him?
    so you can continue the wind up?

I enjoy winding my mate up with the term Biker. I’ve told him numerous times he’s not allowed to call himself a biker until he can adjust his own chain..
    Please tell us he has an BMW boxer!

I enjoy winding my mate up with the term Biker. I’ve told him numerous times he’s not allowed to call himself a biker until he can adjust his own chain..😈
    I don’t know anyone who rides who can’t. Do they go to a dealer every few hundred miles for a check?

Just realised that at the moment I have chain, shaft and belt drive bikes.

And they are all twins; parallel twins, V-twins and horizontally opposed twins.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Just realised that at the moment I have chain, shaft and belt drive bikes.

And they are all twins; parallel twins, V-twins and horizontally opposed twins.
    Just greedy 😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    and you do his chain for him?
    so you can continue the wind up?
    Damn right.. he’s got 4 chain drive bikes, I’ve given him a list of tools he needs, the appropriate torque wrench, and I’ve shown him how to do it on a number of occasions.

Complete waste of time. So now when he brings one of his bike around, and mentions that the chain is a little loose, I reply that it’s his shout for breakfast, on the next ride out...

I still won’t let him call himself a biker though.. not in my presence.🏍🏍

Is it that he can't adjust the chain....or he doesn't want to adjust the chain...
    I've a mate who appears to be very similar to yours...

I better get myself a torque wrench and learn how to do the chain now

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Is it that he can't adjust the chain....or he doesn't want to adjust the chain...
    I've a mate who appears to be very similar to yours...
    A bit from column A and a bit from Column B.. Honestly, I’ve never seen anybody that’s so cack handed when it comes to holding simple tools. It’s like his brain is detached from any form of dexterity. I watched him trying to start a chain saw once, and if I’d videoed it, it would have gone viral.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Just greedy 
    Down to chain and shaft now.

And just parallel and horizontally opposed twins.