closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 25 Years of the Omega X-33 in Space

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

I still love my MKI, but I would love to add to my collection!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Okay, a bit of a disappointment here.
    Last week I tried to lit up the watch, it did it briefly then stopped working and the seconds hand started to move in 5s increments, still keeping time, of course.
    As the last battery change was 2 years ago, my conclusion was that the battery was dying on me.
    I dutifully ordered a new one. It arrived this morning.

I changed it successfully (which means I managed to avoid scratching the back to death and lose half of the screws).

The seconds hand still moves in 5 seconds increments, and the backlight doesn't work

I can think of 2 possibilities:
    1) the battery is too old. It was in a sealed pack, delivered this morning and I can see no indication of date on it
    2) the light module is gone, and that tricks the watch into thinking the battery is on its way out.

Thoughts?
    Did you leave it a good 40 mins with out the battery in before putting the new one in? I took mine to an Omega dealer for a battery change and it came back the same as your's. They said it needed a new movement. Did a bit of research and took it back. Told them to leave the battery out for a while and was fine. Sadly a couple of battery changes later and the analogue side of the movement has given up the ghost. About £500 for a new movement I gather☹

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE... View Post
    Did you leave it a good 40 mins with out the battery in before putting the new one in? I took mine to an Omega dealer for a battery change and it came back the same as your's. They said it needed a new movement. Did a bit of research and took it back. Told them to leave the battery out for a while and was fine. Sadly a couple of battery changes later and the analogue side of the movement has given up the ghost. About £500 for a new movement I gather☹
    Never heard of that before.

Changed my battery this year, old battery out and new one straight in. Perfect.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

It is indeed possible that I swapped the batteries too quickly, so I kept the "new but faulty" battery for a later exchange. But I bought another, took a little longer (not by design) for the change and it worked.
    What makes me suspect it was too short the first time is that I didn't need to re-set the date.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Interesting I don't know, that's what I read up and it worked. Mine's a mk1 so might be different if yours is a mk2.
    Think it's the same on some quartz movements, a couple of contacts need to be shorted when you change batteries so you don't have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It is indeed possible that I swapped the batteries too quickly, so I kept the "new but faulty" battery for a later exchange. But I bought another, took a little longer (not by design) for the change and it worked.
    What makes me suspect it was too short the first time is that I didn't need to re-set the date.
    That's good to hear.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE... View Post
    Interesting I don't know, that's what I read up and it worked. Mine's a mk1 so might be different if yours is a mk2.
    Think it's the same on some quartz movements, a couple of contacts need to be shorted when you change batteries so you don't have to wait.
    Mine is indeed a MKii, but have no idea if it makes a difference though.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    On 22 February 1996, Swiss ESA Astronaut Claude Nicollier was launched skyward onboard Space Shuttle Columbia STS-75 with a prototype Omega X-33 strapped to his wrist. Over the next couple of years these evolved into the space fight qualified X-33 Speedmaster and became an essential tool watch for space explorers. A quarter of a century and two iterations later it still is, there will be several on orbit right now.

These four are a bit closer to home.

Love this picture and thread.

After about 15 years of maybe/yes/no and repeatedly refusing to jump the buying fence when these were fairly plentiful, I finally snagged one. It hasn't arrived yet, but I already know it will be too light, worse than my G Shocks, a pain to change the battery, a liability near water, fiddly and make me an object of considerable and justified ridicule should I ever even attempt to explain why I have started my very important mission timer.

Can't wait

25 Years of the Omega X-33 in Space

^ Great timing on your purchase! Do post some photos when it arrives. Out of interest, what do you mean by “”worse than my G Shocks””?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    ^ Great timing on your purchase! Do post some photos when it arrives. Out of interest, what do you mean by “”worse than my G Shocks””?
    More expensive, less WR, fewer functions and not as tough. I should have bought a G Shock. Or a Breitling. What a fool.

Great post Mr C
    Love my Solar Impulse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    More expensive, less WR, fewer functions and not as tough. I should have bought a G Shock. Or a Breitling. What a fool.
    The alarm is bloody loud though.

Like these a lot.
    I've seen a few Gen 1s that had the polsihed bezel settle down nicely into a more matte sheen wihhc is nice.

Not wild about the coloured version, but the blakc bezel model is lovely.

One day...

Just in case anybody is interested, it is possible to fit a Gen 1/2 bracelet to a Skywalker or Solar Impulse. It hugs the case well, and although there is a height difference at the lugs the central bulge on the end link and crenelated bezel design makes it look almost deliberate. If I hadn't managed to rotate the bezel slightly before taking the image it would look better! I reckon you could get away with it.

Talking

Thanks Mr C

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I took this screen shot of the recent launch - showing the X-33 MK2 is still in use for modern space programs.

Was there a ninja aboard?

New commemorative LE

Omega FNIS

TT

A fabulous post. Enjoyed going through it.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    ^ Great timing on your purchase! Do post some photos when it arrives
    Quick shot after sizing the bracelet and setting the time and date:

It came with the full length titanium bracelet (pins and collars, always a joy…), correct hang tag, stamped cards and the instruction manual, but not the special box. Everything works, and the pushers are pleasingly clicky.

I watched a YouTube video on how to set it, and it wasn’t too tricky.

(I think this omits the “quick” time zone change by pressing and holding the crown, but otherwise it was helpful)

Trying the backlight, and UT. It's day 56 of 2022, which I also needed to know:

I guess many of these are approaching vintage now, so it is nice to see them still in use professionally. Quite a unique design and function set.

TT
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 25th February 2022 at 06:31.

Still finding advanced design considerations…

(Popular Science, May 1998)

Great stuff, that looks like an excellent example and I wan't aware that the Kevlar was anti alien weapons tech.

The orange Kevlar looks so good! Surprised we don’t see many more X-33 on Kevlar.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The orange Kevlar looks so good! Surprised we don’t see many more X-33 on Kevlar.
    Here you go: