closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knife skills by some 'chefs'

Journeyman

knife skills by some 'chefs'

as i have said in previous cooking topics i consider myself be be quite a good amateur cook - i would say chef but by definition a chef is a person who earns a living by cooking food

i am totally self taught but when lockdown ends i'm going to a Rick Stein week long course

anyway, i digress

i learnt my knife skills the hard way with cuts but now i'm pretty good - practice makes not exactly perfect but i can dice and slice to a professional level

whats shocks me are the appalling knife skills of the likes of Mary Berry and the lovely Nigella - sorry, its just lazy and sets a bad example

What shocks me is your grammar. Sorry, but it's just lazy and sets a bad example.
    F.T.F.A.

My knife skills are minimal, resulting in me nearly slicing the top of my finger off over the weekend. I'm hoping it is going to reattach itself.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    What shocks me is your grammar. Sorry, but it's just lazy and sets a bad example.
    what so offends you?

- - - Updated - - -

what so offends you?

btw - public school education - that i guess will offend?

i just highlight points - otherwise its your problem
    Last edited by nick h; 15th March 2021 at 10:25.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    My knife skills are minimal, resulting in me nearly slicing the top of my finger off over the weekend. I'm hoping it is going to reattach itself.

bet that hurt

get well soon

How many more threads are you going to start on similar subjects? And are you using Tapatalk (serious question)?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by nick h View Post
    bet that hurt

get well soon
    Thanks! Typing is a bit difficult at work this morning

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    How many more threads are you going to start on similar subjects? And are you using Tapatalk (serious question)?

sorry, but what is Taptalk?

i will now delete my posts and go to a less hostile place

ffs sake i cannot delete posts so could a mod delete all my posts and delete my membership of this cesspit
    Last edited by nick h; 15th March 2021 at 10:45.

sorry, but what is Taptalk?

i will now delete my posts and go to a less hostile place

ffs sake i cannot delete posts so could a mod delete all my posts and delete my membership of this cesspit
    In no particular order:
    - There are no mods on TZ-UK.
    - Tapatalk is an app that allows you to use the forum from your phone, in a mobile friendly format. However, and the reason I asked, it "eats" punctuation (more specifically apostrophes) and thus would explain some of the mistakes Magirus alluded to.
    - This place is a watch forum; start 2 threads in short succession about cooking knives related matters and do not be surprised if we ask.
    - Good bye. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Imagine not having enough wits about you to do a bit of research and find out that Mary Berry has a damaged left hand from contracting Polio as a child and is still managing to do a better job than OP.

I love cooking and I love good knife / prep skills..

this guy is brilliant to watch light hearted and makes everything look easy ..

Anyone who maintains that "you don't cut yourself on a sharp knife" - never saw my late mother's fingers after I had sharpened all her knives.

You quickly develop reasonable knife skills after a handful of cuts but it’s the speed the pro’s use that mesmerises me. I’m happy to potter and keep my digits intact and I keep my knives hair-popping sharp. My partner isn’t so keen though and regularly sports a plaster where she has sliced into a finger.

As for the op, stick around. Consider the banter in a similar vein to learning your craft through ‘cuts’. I’m not watching your posted mandolin video though!

whats shocks me are the appalling knife skills of the likes of Mary Berry and the lovely Nigella - sorry, its just lazy and sets a bad example
    You’re confusing chefs and TV presenters. Mary Berry, Nigella et al do not make their living cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    You quickly develop reasonable knife skills after a handful of cuts but it’s the speed the pro’s use that mesmerises me. I’m happy to potter and keep my digits intact and I keep my knives hair-popping sharp. My partner isn’t so keen though and regularly sports a plaster where she has sliced into a finger.

As for the op, stick around. Consider the banter in a similar vein to learning your craft through ‘cuts’. I’m not watching your posted mandolin video though!

Reckon they practice with 'practice knives' to get the speed up.

No reason for a domestic cook to go that fast - they don't have Gordon Ramsay shouting at them (Unless you are Mrs Ramsay)

Blog Entries

Oh wow, hope it heals back ok. Did something similar as a kid with a new penknife and it healed ok in the end.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Hopefully!

I chopped the tip of a finger with a sharp hatchet, and (apart from cleanliness being an issue) - didn't have the tip.

Local surgery had to close off the capillaries with 3 stitches (I almost fainted when the needle hit bone) - which scabbed over.

Got the stitches removed at my own local surgery and when the nurse started pulling on the first stitch - I couldn't help but go with her, to the extent I was up out the seat. That was painful!!!!

Nobody is watching Nigella for her knife skills. And Mary Berry, she needs to use a knife to slice a cake, that's all.

Craftsman
    OP (if you’re still here) I bet Gordon, Rick, James et al must be bricking it with such competition. I do however think your post should have been made on a cooking forum. Glad to read that you are moving on

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Some of these comments are very cutting...

Craftsman
    I always thought "knife skills" were part of being a good chef until I did a Cordon Bleu course where very little attention was given to the showmanship of chopping something up. We learned how to use the knife safely and where the First Aid kit was. Was the first time I saw blue plasters.

The most important thing I learned was how often to sharpen a knife (every time you use it). The high speed stuff is not important in home cooking and makes no difference to the taste. If you need to prep veg for 120 covers today, then maybe speed is important, but not in my kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Anyone who maintains that "you don't cut yourself on a sharp knife" - never saw my late mother's fingers after I had sharpened all her knives.
    I think it was more to do with it is *better to cut yourself with a sharper knife. The thought being that it will heal quicker and cleaner.

*Obviously better not to cut yourself at all.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Some of these comments are very cutting...
    Oooo you are sharp! :)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 15th March 2021 at 16:34.

Master

I removed about a 3mm round piece of flesh from my finger tip, slicing onion & glanced at the hob. Usually ok with not looking as I chop as my tips are tucked back, usually.

Hurt like a right old bugger that did, so know the pain. I occasionally get the ‘that was close’ moment where I remove a thin part of nail (and have to throw the onion away), but not this time.

Sharp knife less likely to slip, and heals better, but am convinced it also cuts deeper when it does go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Sharp knife less likely to slip, and heals better, but am convinced it also cuts deeper when it does go wrong.

I agree - every time one of my old, not-very-sharp knives makes contact with my skin I am thankful that I didn't buy a fancy set of Japanese blades. I haven't had a nasty cut in decades, and that was with a bread knife.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I recently watched a documentary about Doumbéa - the last remaining butcher preparing traditional ham inside Paris. They use a secret recipe for the 'Saumur' the juice they inject into the meat. The butchers are using razor-sharp knives to lift the meat off the bone, with incredible speed and surgical accuracy, but they also wear chainmail aprons and gloves.

Does anyone know if the OP called into Lost Property when he flounced out? I heard there was a sense of humour handed in.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I agree - every time one of my old, not-very-sharp knives makes contact with my skin I am thankful that I didn't buy a fancy set of Japanese blades. I haven't had a nasty cut in decades, and that was with a bread knife.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    I also remember those days!

I have a scar on my finger from my first Global ****-up, am convinced it hit bone.

My wife reverts to the old knives after I have sharpened the Globals, she just doesn't like a sharp blade.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know if the OP called into Lost Property when he flounced out? I heard there was a sense of humour handed in.
    Chuckle. People do take themselves so very seriously sometimes.

I was taught that a sharp knife needs less force to cut, so is less likely to slip and stab/slash the user. I keep my knives good and sharp, but I also take my time; an airfix incident when I was a kid (craft knife blade through the flesh of my forefinger. Ouch) has made me circumspect.

Thinking about it, the only knife-related task that gives me The Fear is shucking oysters. I won’t touch that without chainmail!

Blog Entries
    No joke: the rising consumption of avocados in the Netherlands also causes an influx of visits to the Dutch hospitals' emergency departments. People try stabbing a pointy knife in the stone while holding the avocado in their hand... You can guess what happens next.
    Last edited by thieuster; 16th March 2021 at 09:14.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    No joke: the rising consumption of avocados in the Netherlands also causes an influx of visits to the Dutch hospitals' emergency departments. People try to remove the pit by stabbing a pointy knife in the stone while holding the avocado in their hand... You can guess what happens next.
    Same in the UK.

I like practicing my knife skills and I am quite proficient, the scars on my fingers prove that, they are all old...
    Every now and again I catch myself though, a nice sharp thin bladed knife means lots of blood is a certainty.
    My girlfriend won’t use a large knife, she is frightened of them, everything is cut with a tiny blade.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Chuckle. People do take themselves so very seriously sometimes.

I was taught that a sharp knife needs less force to cut, so is less likely to slip and stab/slash the user. I keep my knives good and sharp, but I also take my time; an airfix incident when I was a kid (craft knife blade through the flesh of my forefinger. Ouch) has made me circumspect.

Thinking about it, the only knife-related task that gives me The Fear is shucking oysters. I won’t touch that without chainmail!
    You’re lucky!

Could have made you circumsised!

(And change your moniker to RabbiCain)

The OP was also not observant enough to notice that Mary Berry has a weakened hand (and arm, which is less visible) from polio as a child.
    So insulting her "knife skills" is insensitive, at best.
    D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Same in the UK.

I like practicing my knife skills and I am quite proficient, the scars on my fingers prove that, they are all old...
    Every now and again I catch myself though, a nice sharp thin bladed knife means lots of blood is a certainty.
    My girlfriend won’t use a large knife, she is frightened of them, everything is cut with a tiny blade.
    I keep New Skin in the kitchen for the odd nick, or when deeper I move to superglue to stop the blood!

My wife is the same, won’t touch my chef knife stops at the vegetable one that’s half the size.

That's not how you chop. This is how you chop:

I was a chef, chopping ridiculously fast was never important. Not throwing up when you came in with a stonking hangover at 8am and were given the fish to gut was a much more important skill.
    "A man of little significance"

Call me strange but I really enjoy plucking, gutting and butchering things. If there’s a rabbit to be killed and prepared or crabs or lobsters to be cooked it guarantees that I will have the kitchen to myself for the duration.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The OP was also not observant enough to notice that Mary Berry has a weakened hand (and arm, which is less visible) from polio as a child.
    So insulting her "knife skills" is insensitive, at best.
    D
    just popped back to see comments

you are a total knob

chef Michael Caines has only one arm and can cook to Michelin levels - watch him on You Tube of UK tv cooking programmes

Journeyman

never post online anything you would not say face to face with person - learn the lesson

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    OP (if you’re still here) I bet Gordon, Rick, James et al must be bricking it with such competition. I do however think your post should have been made on a cooking forum. Glad to read that you are moving on

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    yes, i am indeed moving on and will not miss this forum

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    Imagine not having enough wits about you to do a bit of research and find out that Mary Berry has a damaged left hand from contracting Polio as a child and is still managing to do a better job than OP.

see Michael Caines with only one arm?

Blog Entries
    yes, i am indeed moving on and will not miss this forum
    I am experiencing some cognitive dissonance: returning specifically to reply to people who offend you is an “interesting” way of leaving. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    In no particular order:
    - There are no mods on TZ-UK.
    - Tapatalk is an app that allows you to use the forum from your phone, in a mobile friendly format. However, and the reason I asked, it "eats" punctuation (more specifically apostrophes) and thus would explain some of the mistakes Magirus alluded to.
    - This place is a watch forum; start 2 threads in short succession about cooking knives related matters and do not be surprised if we ask.
    - Good bye. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
    don't let the door etc is a primary school level comment

school report - must do better

knife skills by some 'chefs'

So you’re back? You throw your toys out of the pram, have a tantrum and then you accuse me of school age comments? Hilarious!
    Continue to think that cooking is all about knife skills, be the idiot who mocks a disabled woman because she can’t dice an onion as fast as you but do that on a cooking forum where members will be able to wax lyrical about your expertise... or not.

(Posted from Tapatalk, hence lack of apostrophe)

What a very odd thread.

Mary Berry and Nigella are both TV cooks, not trained chefs. They both even admit that they have terrible knife skills.

Michael Caines is a formally trained professional chef with years of experience working in Michelin starred restaurants.

don't let the door etc is a primary school level comment

school report - must do better
    OP this forum requires you to take a grilling every now and again it happens to us all.
    The forum is mainly about discussing thyme pieces so and number of cooking threads started by the same person will raise the odd eyebrow. There is no kneed to take it personally.
    There are a few that like to stir things up but its all said in jest. Some of the humour can be cutting but there is no point boiling over with rage or crying over spilt milk. You may learn to enjoy it here, some of the threads can be quite saucy.
    Anyhoo I think we butter back off the OP as he appears to have very thin skin.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 17th March 2021 at 12:51.

what so offends you?

- - - Updated - - -

what so offends you?

btw - public school education - that i guess will offend?

i just highlight points - otherwise its your problem
    Money wasted.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Reckon they practice with 'practice knives' to get the speed up.

No reason for a domestic cook to go that fast - they don't have Gordon Ramsay shouting at them (Unless you are Mrs Ramsay)
    No , they do not use practise knives . In a good kitchen there can be a lot of pressure in Prep as there are in other areas and Chefs become quick naturally with the amount they do . Most can chop without looking as its a hand / feel coordination thing by feeling the angles of the fingers holding the item being chopped !

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    OP this forum requires you to take a grilling every now and again it happens to us all.
    The forum is mainly about discussing thyme pieces so and number of cooking threads started by the same person will raise the odd eyebrow. There is no kneed to take it personally.
    There are a few that like to stir things up but its all said in jest. Some of the humour can be cutting but there is no point boiling over with rage or crying over spilt milk. You may learn to enjoy it here, some of the threads can be quite saucy.
    Anyhoo I think we butter back off the OP as he appears to have very thin skin.
    Totally wasted effort; you think he'll spot the spelling mistakes, much less recognise them as puns?

Master
    What a very odd fellow !