closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed on Watch Purchase Please

Journeyman

Advice Needed on Watch Purchase Please

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on a new watch please.

A few years ago, I finally bought one of my dream watches which was an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional. Ref 311.33.42.30.01.002. It came with the special edition box and the eye piece, watch tool, etc etc. I absolutely love it every-time I put it on. At the time, my wife and I decided that this would also be an 18th or 21st birthday present for my son, who at the time was only 18 months old. Something to pass on.

We have since had another boy, and it's my 40th Birthday next January. My wife knows how much I love watches and has said, she would get me another one for my birthday present.

I would quite like to also replicate this and keep this one as a present for our second son.

The conundrum is what to get of a similar value. It doesn't have to be exact, and I know that values in 18 years may diverge hugely, but at the point of purchase I would like them to be of separate value and stature so there is little difference between them.

It doesn't have to be new, but I would like it to have box and papers etc given the long-term aim for this. It would also need to be something that I wear occasionally (I don't wear the moonwatch everyday).

I've always quite wanted a Tag Heuer Monaco on a steel strap, and an Omega Speedmaster 125 is another option. At one point, I would have considered a sub, but sadly prices are too high now. Though if there is one in decent nick for circa £4k this would be a consideration. Though I do like a Turn-o-graph which is also a consideration.

However, any other suggestions and thoughts would be very welcome. It is not until Jan next year so plenty of time to make a decision and hunt for the right watch, and also perhaps buy duty free if we are travelling again before then.

Thanks for your help.

I think a £4K sub is a little optimistic however I would suggest a Tudor 58 black bay as a good substitute or alternatively the Tudor Pepsi gmt. Not only are they (imho) great watches I believe they will prove good long term investments as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    I think a £4K sub is a little optimistic however I would suggest a Tudor 58 black bay as a good substitute or alternatively the Tudor Pepsi gmt. Not only are they (imho) great watches I believe they will prove good long term investments as well.

Thanks - Pepsi GMT not a bad shout...

Master
    I agree pepsi Tudor is a good shout, or the black bay/58 maybe?

Omega Seamaster's are very nice, lots of dial colours.

There're still many nice 'neo-vintage' datejusts, oyster perpetuals and air kings out there for £4k or under, all brilliant watches.

Otherwise, I think any Grand Seiko would be a great purchase:P JLC Reservos as well

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    There're still many nice 'neo-vintage' datejusts, oyster perpetuals and air kings out there for £4k or under, all brilliant watches.

Otherwise, I think any Grand Seiko would be a great purchase:P JLC Reservos as well
    Thanks - really like the idea of a datejust or oyster perpetual. What do you class as 'neo-vintage'?

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

This is a good call.
    Both sons get a classic Omega

Journeyman

Very true re Seamasters, thank you!

I had thought about the Aqua-Terra skyfall special edition because at least it has the eye piece and strap tool in the box, so would be similar to the moonwatch...

But might take a look at what else is available ref Seamasters

Craftsman
    £4k (ish) is the best price point there's loads of great options. You mentioned the Monaco on steel, you could get one of the new Heuer 02 models for that, even new. You could probably get some form of El Primero for that money too. Both timeless models like the speedy which is what you want if it's an heirloom.

Loads of Grand Seikos in scope as well, and some of them are a bit more dressy which would make for a nice contrast if you already have the speedy.

Quote Originally Posted by aaf1982 View Post
    Thanks - really like the idea of a datejust or oyster perpetual. What do you class as 'neo-vintage'?
    I would say anything from the 1990s onwards? But there're plenty from the 2000s as well if you're looking for something newer!

Have you had a good look around at brands other than those carried by the High St chains? Would be worth running a search on Chrono24 and seeing what it brings up from less obvious but still highly respected brands. The choice is huge. Really worth doing, if nothing more than to have it as a benchmark against your current preferences and budget.

Blog Entries
    What about the new 2021 Omega Speedmaster Professional - 310.30.42.50.01.001 new movement, chronometer rated, but same heritage as the Speedmaster Professional you have already.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 9th February 2021 at 14:54.

Master
    Sounds like you should go for the Monaco. You have to wear the watch for the next 18 years and if you get something that you don’t like, it will be sat in the draw - you won’t be able to sell it because of why you bought it, and then your son may not even appreciate it.

I wouldn’t buy anything vintage, as in that time a 20 odd year old watch will be 40 odd years. Some people may like that, others not. Also think service costs - again a reason to buy something you like otherwise you will waste money on a service for it to go back in the box

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Sounds like you should go for the Monaco. You have to wear the watch for the next 18 years and if you get something that you don’t like, it will be sat in the draw - you won’t be able to sell it because of why you bought it, and then your son may not even appreciate it.

I wouldn’t buy anything vintage, as in that time a 20 odd year old watch will be 40 odd years. Some people may like that, others not. Also think service costs - again a reason to buy something you like otherwise you will waste money on a service for it to go back in the box
    I agree with the above, Monaco seems a great choice seeing as you've been wanting one and and would make a lovely hand down in the future. Being another iconic chrono makes it a nice match to the Speedmaster which your other son is getting so I think would take some beating as a choice here.

As an aside we watched a movie on Prime last time(Hostile I think was the name), boring movie but it kept showing one of the actors wearing a Monaco, God that thing always looks so cool.

Master
    This would be my call as well.

I'd vote on the Monaco as well.

It just works out perfectly if you think about it: sometime in the far future, two iconic watches for both of your boys.
    Rolex - understand your dilemma, especially that the Moonwatch and the Submariner are the two most iconic watches ever made.
    Or are they? :)
    Would there be a fight over them between the boys, as people tend to go crazy about Rolex?

I'd vouch for the Monaco.

I turned 40 myself last year, and the Moonwatch & the Monaco are in the top two places on my vision board (&bucket list?)
    I had a submariner on my list as well, but vintage Rolexes are a minefield & in general, Rolex prices have gone through the roof. For a watch enthusiast it doesn't make much sense to fork out £10k, which could buy you a variety of very nice watches instead.

Anyway, i'll get to the point: the Monaco.
    Specifically the CAW211P
    Why? To date, there are only two proper modern iterations of the original McQueen Monaco 1133b. By proper i mean the crown is on the left hand side, just like on the original.
    It's not just an iconic watch because of the McQueen connection, or the striking design (i believe this was the first waterproof square watch ever made as well), but being the first automatic chronograph. A well known war between the industry giants Heuer, Buren, Breitling, Zenith & Seiko.
    So, these two modern remakes of the original 1133b are:
    1. the CAW211A, which was the 40st anniversary edition made in 2009, limited to just - as far as i remember - 1000pcs & original price tag was $10,000 & has always been very sought after, so it's very expensive - if you can find one at all.
    2. the CAW211P, which was not limited, and also has the crown on the left & very much looks like the original 1133b.
    This latter has been discontinued at the end of 2019, but miraculously it's still available at a few UK retailers - moreover, you can still find them at a discounted price!
    This has all the properties to be a future classic, just like the first modern Panerai's.

The new Monaco (while it has a lovely new movement), unfortunately has nothing to do with the iconic 1133b. And with this new movement, i can't see any "left-hand drive" (lefty crown) versions coming out any time soon - as it's technically not possible. The CAW211P had a modular piggyback chronograph movement, so Heuer could rotate the base movement to place the crown on the left. But the new one is an integrated movement, it would be extremely difficult to place the crown on the left. Making the CAW211P a future classic.

I've done months of research, but unfortunately can't afford a CAW211P myself, but I'm confident it would be a sound investment & heritage piece.

To keep things equal between your boys when the time comes how about a birth year 1982 Speedmaster 145.022, you should be able find one around £4k - https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1...32125124509771

Or a 1982 Datejust if you fancy getting into the Rolex name - https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/in...er=0&year=1982

Master
    I saw the boxer Amir khan bought his one year old son a Daytona for his birthday.

I thought your planning was exceptionally good but Amir seems to be planning for his sons retirement already.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    My call would be a Seamaster too.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I saw the boxer Amir khan bought his one year old son a Daytona for his birthday.

I thought your planning was exceptionally good but Amir seems to be planning for his sons retirement already.
    Tasteful watch for Khan, most of his collection is absolutely horrendous, beaten only by Mayweather in terms of proving money doesn't buy taste.

Agree. Seamaster and Speedmaster would be a good pairing and probably the fairest split later on in life.

Standard Seamaster on a bracelet. Don’t commit to who’s having what just yet. You might find that they both have different personalities and one may be drawn to a Chrono, the other a diver. Same brand and value will won’t cause any arguments.

Something you like and will wear - the value thing is nice, but something they remember seeing you wearing and enjoying will mean much more than something that has never seen the light of day as in that case you might as well have bought him Premium Bonds or a gold bar.

You could get a nice Zenith El Primero for 4K. Something like a Rainbow Flyback perhaps (the original one). Would give both your sons an iconic chronograph.

Advice Needed on Watch Purchase Please

Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post

It just works out perfectly if you think about it: sometime in the far future, two iconic watches for both of your boys.
    Rolex - understand your dilemma, especially that the Moonwatch and the Submariner are the two most iconic watches ever made.
    Would there be a fight over them between the boys, as people tend to go crazy about Rolex?

I turned 40 myself last year, and the Moonwatch & the Monaco are in the top two places on my vision board (&bucket list?)
    I had a submariner on my list as well, but vintage Rolexes are a minefield & in general, Rolex prices have gone through the roof. For a watch enthusiast it doesn't make much sense to fork out £10k, which could buy you a variety of very nice watches instead.

Specifically the CAW211P
    Why? To date, there are only two proper modern iterations of the original McQueen Monaco 1133b. By proper i mean the crown is on the left hand side, just like on the original.
    It's not just an iconic watch because of the McQueen connection, or the striking design (i believe this was the first waterproof square watch ever made as well), but being the first automatic chronograph. A well known war between the industry giants Heuer, Buren, Breitling, Zenith & Seiko.
    1. the CAW211A, which was the 40st anniversary edition made in 2009, limited to just - as far as i remember - 1000pcs & original price tag was $10,000 & has always been very sought after, so it's very expensive - if you can find one at all.
    2. the CAW211P, which was not limited, and also has the crown on the left & very much looks like the original 1133b.
    This latter has been discontinued at the end of 2019, but miraculously it's still available at a few UK retailers - moreover, you can still find them at a discounted price!
    This has all the properties to be a future classic, just like the first modern Panerai's.

The new Monaco (while it has a lovely new movement), unfortunately has nothing to do with the iconic 1133b. And with this new movement, i can't see any "left-hand drive" (lefty crown) versions coming out any time soon - as it's technically not possible. The CAW211P had a modular piggyback chronograph movement, so Heuer could rotate the base movement to place the crown on the left. But the new one is an integrated movement, it would be extremely difficult to place the crown on the left. Making the CAW211P a future classic.

I've done months of research, but unfortunately can't afford a CAW211P myself, but I'm confident it would be a sound investment & heritage piece.
    Pretty certain the CAW211P hasn’t been discontinued. The anniversary edition has been and believe came with a solid case back and not sapphire like the McQueen Monaco.

Also the Monaco would be my shout, you like it will enjoy wearing out. Has an ‘iconic’ status and not a Rolex which is usually the obvious choice.

Seamaster a nice pairing with the Moonwatch. But as soon as a new one is released the older model ages badly IMHO.

Least with the Speedy & Monaco they’ve remained timeless.

Last edited by McBeardy; 9th February 2021 at 20:33.

I think that if the Monaco is what you like, that’s what you should get.

Seamasters are a great shout but they always seem very contemporary so I’m not sure they’ll age as well as a speedie. Could turn out to be a classic, or a naff old watch, impossible to tell right now.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Pretty certain the CAW211P hasn’t been discontinued. The anniversary edition has been and believe came with a solid case back and not sapphire like the McQueen Monaco.
    Apologies, just did a quick research, it appears you're absolutely right! Don't know what made me think it was discontinued - perhaps the rolling out of the new model.

I did win a CAW211A on eBay, it was meant to be a 40th birthday present from my wife - perfect gift, being 40th anniversary watch. It was at a good price as well. I was over the moon! And then, a day later, the seller cancelled because PayPal temporarily held my payment (as she was a novice seller). Needless to say how devastated I was.. a year later still brings a tear in my eye :)
    Last edited by levkov; 10th February 2021 at 15:58.

Monaco for me, too.

Simple white on black model, though.

It's an interesting watch in a similar way to the Speedmaster (albeit very different).

The Tudor options seem very boring to me.

The Rolex you can afford may look a good choice now, but will they in 20 years? Also, would a 21 year old want to wear a Datejust? Pretty sure it'd look like an old man's watch to most.

The Seamaster might be a decent choice and does seem a little more even handed, with both getting an Omega, but I'd still plump for the Monaco.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 10th February 2021 at 11:22.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Why assume that in two decades time, your son will want a mechanical watch? There’s a fair chance he won’t be interested, because time, and tastes, all change. What seems great to us now, may seem very different in years to come. I used to adore an Olivetti 32 mechanical typewriter.....thought it was just wonderful.
    So why not just get what you want, because you’re the one who loves watches. The future is too far away and too unpredictable. If we didn’t know that before, we know it now.
    Last edited by paskinner; 10th February 2021 at 13:16.

I think that you have the chronograph itch scratched, so get something else.
    At that budget, I would definitley be looking at the Omega Master Coaxial 300 - and at £4k I would go for the titanium one witht he blue dial.
    It has the 8500 movement in it, so it timezone hacks and is anti-magnetic, it looks sensational, vintage and modern at the same time.

D

ps - I'd love one, but out of my budget.

Apologies, just did a quick research, it appears you're absolutely right! Don't know what made me think it was discontinued - perhaps the rolling out of the new model.

I did won a CAW211A on eBay, it was meant to be a 40th birthday present from my wife - perfect gift being 40th anniversary watch. It was at a good price as well. I was over the moon! And then, a day later, the seller cancelled because PayPal temporarily held my payment (as she was a novice seller). Needless to say how devastated I was.. a year later still brings a tear in my eye :)
    Ouch, that's painful, especially as the anniversary model I think had an ETA rather than Selitta piggy back movement. Plus holds value longer.

Think the Cal12 model discontinued with the introduction of the 02 calibre.

Master
    I don’t usually contribute to threads like this, I believe you should buy what you like and should not need to follow advice from others.
    Watches are such a personal thing.
    However I’m 2x San Migs in and am going to give the Monaco a shout.
    Would make a great pairing with the Speedy, icons both.
    I would recommend trying one first however.
    P.S. CAW211P.
    Chin chin.

Master
    IMG_6181.JPG

Since the conversation seems to be leaning towards iconic designs, I am surprised that nobody has so far suggested a Breitling Navitimer as a potential option.

Plenty of choice around £4k.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Since the conversation seems to be leaning towards iconic designs, I am surprised that nobody has so far suggested a Breitling Navitimer as a potential option.

Plenty of choice around £4k.

Simon
    I was about to say the same. That's where I would be looking

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    £4k (ish) is the best price point there's loads of great options. You mentioned the Monaco on steel, you could get one of the new Heuer 02 models for that, even new. You could probably get some form of El Primero for that money too. Both timeless models like the speedy which is what you want if it's an heirloom.

Loads of Grand Seikos in scope as well, and some of them are a bit more dressy which would make for a nice contrast if you already have the speedy.
    Thanks for this. Not a really fan of El Primero but GS is a good shout.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    I would say anything from the 1990s onwards? But there're plenty from the 2000s as well if you're looking for something newer!

haha, thanks - its weird to think of anything younger than me as a vintage but thats a fair point...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Have you had a good look around at brands other than those carried by the High St chains? Would be worth running a search on Chrono24 and seeing what it brings up from less obvious but still highly respected brands. The choice is huge. Really worth doing, if nothing more than to have it as a benchmark against your current preferences and budget.
    Great tip - thank you!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    What about the new 2021 Omega Speedmaster Professional - 310.30.42.50.01.001 new movement, chronometer rated, but same heritage as the Speedmaster Professional you have already.
    I did think of another speedy, and do really like the new movement. Also works well as I like them so much and would be identical to the other one, but I do think two speedy's is a wasted opp at this stage - chance to enjoy 'something else'...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post

Seamasters are a great shout but they always seem very contemporary so I’m not sure they’ll age as well as a speedie. Could turn out to be a classic, or a naff old watch, impossible to tell right now.
    Thanks - yeah, probably leaning towards a Monaco...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks - yeah, probably leaning towards a Monaco...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post

That is a good point about the vintage - it appeals to me, now, and has done for about 10-15 years, but it would be quite an old watch by then...thanks for the tip

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I agree with the above, Monaco seems a great choice seeing as you've been wanting one and and would make a lovely hand down in the future. Being another iconic chrono makes it a nice match to the Speedmaster which your other son is getting so I think would take some beating as a choice here.

As an aside we watched a movie on Prime last time(Hostile I think was the name), boring movie but it kept showing one of the actors wearing a Monaco, God that thing always looks so cool.
    Thanks, yeah, seem to be leaning this way...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Thanks!

Journeyman

Specifically the CAW211P

This is incredibly detailed, very interesting and very helpful - may just have made up my mind based on this and a few other posts. Thanks for sharing and hopefully one day you can own one...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    To keep things equal between your boys when the time comes how about a birth year 1982 Speedmaster 145.022, you should be able find one around £4k - https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1...32125124509771

Or a 1982 Datejust if you fancy getting into the Rolex name - https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/in...er=0&year=1982
    Yeah, I had thought about another speedy but woudl either do a 125 or a modern one - but on the other hand, think its a wasted opportunity to grow the collection. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

Haha, that certainly trumps my plans...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Thanks!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Tasteful watch for Khan, most of his collection is absolutely horrendous, beaten only by Mayweather in terms of proving money doesn't buy taste.
    Haha, cant say I have paid much attention but will take a look -doesn't surprise me!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Agree. Seamaster and Speedmaster would be a good pairing and probably the fairest split later on in life.
    Thats a fair point, one to ponder, thank you!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Standard Seamaster on a bracelet. Don’t commit to who’s having what just yet. You might find that they both have different personalities and one may be drawn to a Chrono, the other a diver. Same brand and value will won’t cause any arguments.
    Yeah, to be honest - they may not want them. But it's just a bit of future planning in case. The Speedy would have been bought 18 months after the first one was born and this one roughly the same time after the second one is born (2 years) so in my mind it works that way but if one really likes anohter one then thats fine. I am not telling any of them they are getting them, and hopefully they won't find this forum or this thread before they are 18/21, and it may not come to pass, but if it did, I want to have at least planned for it and be fair in doing so rather than think about what might have been...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Something you like and will wear - the value thing is nice, but something they remember seeing you wearing and enjoying will mean much more than something that has never seen the light of day as in that case you might as well have bought him Premium Bonds or a gold bar.
    Yeah, this was the advice someone who is big collector gave me when I was considering buying me speedy - buy a watch that you will enjoy and he was right, I get so much enjoyment out of my speedy every time I put it on...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    You could get a nice Zenith El Primero for 4K. Something like a Rainbow Flyback perhaps (the original one). Would give both your sons an iconic chronograph.
    Yeah, zenith has nevery really done anything for me, and it has to be something I enjoy - thanks for the tip though.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the Monaco would be my shout, you like it will enjoy wearing out. Has an ‘iconic’ status and not a Rolex which is usually the obvious choice.

Seamaster a nice pairing with the Moonwatch. But as soon as a new one is released the older model ages badly IMHO.

Thanks - yeah, the more I think about the monaco / speedy collection I like it...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks - yeah, the more I think about the monaco / speedy collection I like it...

Journeyman

Yeah see - I keep wavering between getting one and then thinking about this...a good point to consider, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

I did win a CAW211A on eBay, it was meant to be a 40th birthday present from my wife - perfect gift, being 40th anniversary watch. It was at a good price as well. I was over the moon! And then, a day later, the seller cancelled because PayPal temporarily held my payment (as she was a novice seller). Needless to say how devastated I was.. a year later still brings a tear in my eye :)
    Sorry to hear that!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Monaco for me, too.

Simple white on black model, though.

It's an interesting watch in a similar way to the Speedmaster (albeit very different).

The Tudor options seem very boring to me.

The Rolex you can afford may look a good choice now, but will they in 20 years? Also, would a 21 year old want to wear a Datejust? Pretty sure it'd look like an old man's watch to most.

The Seamaster might be a decent choice and does seem a little more even handed, with both getting an Omega, but I'd still plump for the Monaco.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    All very good points...thank you - though the Monaco for me has to be a blue dial...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Why assume that in two decades time, your son will want a mechanical watch? There’s a fair chance he won’t be interested, because time, and tastes, all change. What seems great to us now, may seem very different in years to come. I used to adore an Olivetti 32 mechanical typewriter.....thought it was just wonderful.
    So why not just get what you want, because you’re the one who loves watches. The future is too far away and too unpredictable. If we didn’t know that before, we know it now.
    They may not even like watches, but they might like something their dad loved and wore as a present to be handed down...I might end up selling them both before then, who knows. I just thought given the opportunity I wanted to at least plan it right if it did work out...