closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    If you’ve sold a watch does that mean you are currently at -1 so if you buy one you haven’t really bought one because you’re now at 0?

Asking for a friend obviously
    I like the cut of your jib. I sold my Daytona earlier in the week so also went to 1 under par for the year, but bought another watch last night from SC so back on par at 0 for the year. I'm sure with a bit of creative accounting, stats, stats and damn lies we can blag our way through this year

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I like the cut of your jib. I sold my Daytona earlier in the week so also went to 1 under par for the year, but bought another watch last night from SC so back on par at 0 for the year. I'm sure with a bit of creative accounting, stats, stats and damn lies we can blag our way through this year
    You’ve got it sussed Ken - under these rules you’ve bought a new watch but effectively bought nothing at all! You’re even. Let’s be honest, if you finish 3 over par at the end of the round, we’ll say you had a strong front 9 and on the back 9, tired legs, a strong wind and lure of the 19th hole all got to you. It will be pats on the back all round

Master
    So that WTB from yourself is going to need you to do some more creative accounting...

Journeyman
    If you’ve sold a watch does that mean you are currently at -1 so if you buy one you haven’t really bought one because you’re now at 0?

This

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

You’ve got it sussed Ken - under these rules you’ve bought a new watch but effectively bought nothing at all! You’re even. Let’s be honest, if you finish 3 over par at the end of the round, we’ll say you had a strong front 9 and on the back 9, tired legs, a strong wind and lure of the 19th hole all got to you. It will be pats on the back all round
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    So that WTB from yourself is going to need you to do some more creative accounting...
    The WTB could be paying dividends, so I have come up with a cunning plan. Serial Flippers should be handicapped. For every 10 watches flipped last year gives you a handicap of 1, so my handicap is somewhere around 10. Therefore if I buy a watch from the WTB my net in this year will be 2 in and 1 out, but my score at present will be -9.

35 years in an accounts department did have its benefits

Blog Entries
    The WTB could be paying dividends, so I have come up with a cunning plan. Serial Flippers should be handicapped. For every 10 watches flipped last year gives you a handicap of 1, so my handicap is somewhere around 10. Therefore if I buy a watch from the WTB my net in this year will be 2 in and 1 out, but my score at present will be -9.

35 years in a an accounts department betting shop did have its benefits
    Fixed that for you.. Can you explain 'handicap score' for the un-initiated?

But is a Daytona sale or purchase considered the same scoring as say a £700 Seiko. Obviously there has to be some “handicap” applied in that area.

I started off well, in not buying a single watch in 2020, but I think it’s definitely a bit like over compensating sometimes, as I’ve bought 5 watches in the last three weeks, and strangely I’m feeling a level of guilt over it!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Fixed that for you.. Can you explain 'handicap score' for the un-initiated?
    A Civil Servant I'll have you know, turf accountant indeed

Handicap the same as golf, the worse you are (serial flipper) the higher your handicap. Just like crap golfers have a big handicap.

I'm in. Going to give watch buying a miss this year.

You must get bonus points for flipping the same watch numerous times?

I lasted three weeks
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I lasted three weeks
    No...

Wobbled today - 3 weeks in - and over a Dan Henry of all things: 1964 is a significant year, and the bicompax "bad panda" is aesthetically close to perfect to my eyes...

Resisted. Just...

Damn this addiction.

I'm liking this idea of par, and golf, a great deal!

I had a terrible watch year last year - I was something like +5, +6. I'm hoping to balance that out this year.

I'm also, as some of you know, returning to the UK in the summer for good (Or, at least, leaving Doha for good) and have a new house, a new mortgage, so I'm thinking in terms of mortgage payments at the moment. I'm going to be self-unemployed, at least for six months, when I come back, so every time I sell a watch it goes into my little book of pluses and minuses, and I work out how many mortgage payments I've covered. And I'll be honest, that's making me feel pretty good!

So that GS I sold this month, and the Spring Drive LX, that covers me until the summer at least!

And so far? Not bought any this year!

Nothing has tempted me thus far, and I cannot see anything on the horizon either (well there's one, but unlikely to happen this yr...). However I have a few watches that need servicing and I fear a few will not be cheap.

One benefit of being a flipper - avoiding service costs!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Not necessarily. I paid for 7 watches to be serviced last year and each one was sold within a few weeks of its return. Obviously helped with the sales pitch, but something I definitely will not be repeating this year.

Master
    I may well break the habit of a lifetime when Covid restrictions ease and sell the Zenith Daytona. I will have it serviced by Rolex beforehand in the knowledge it will have no apologies on it as well as verification of authenticity. I will be unlikely to buy another watch ever.

Not necessarily. I paid for 7 watches to be serviced last year and each one was sold within a few weeks of its return. Obviously helped with the sales pitch, but something I definitely will not be repeating this year.
    Ouch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Nothing has tempted me thus far, and I cannot see anything on the horizon either (well there's one, but unlikely to happen this yr...). However I have a few watches that need servicing and I fear a few will not be cheap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I may well break the habit of a lifetime when Covid restrictions ease and sell the Zenith Daytona. I will have it serviced by Rolex beforehand in the knowledge it will have no apologies on it as well as verification of authenticity. I will be unlikely to buy another watch ever.
    NEVER EVER EVER EVER SELL A ROLEX MICK P!!!!

If Mick P finds out you’ll be in big trouble

Grand Master

Anyone buying a second- hand watch should factor in the likely cost if having it serviced, sadly a lot of watches that get traded are in need of attention, I often get watches sent to me in need of attention that the owner has recently bought.

If a watch us over 5 years old don’t be surprised if it needs servicing soon.

Master
    NEVER EVER EVER EVER SELL A ROLEX MICK P!!!!

If Mick P finds out you’ll be in big trouble
    I got to be honest and admit I am in two minds about it. The thing is that it gets less than 5 days wear in a year. On the other hand it is a reasonable investment.

Master
    I got to be honest and admit I am in two minds about it. The thing is that it gets less than 5 days wear in a year. On the other hand it is a reasonable investment.
    Do you need the money? Do you want the money? More important could you put that money to better use?

I personally don’t see Rolex as investments, though I acknowledge for ‘now’ they have become investments in the eyes of many and I’m grateful that mine are worth more than I paid. Whether that continues or is even sustainable is to be seen. I also have a rule that if I’m not wearing it, I sell it. 5 times a year isn’t a lot of wear in my view.

Maybe this question, would you be more upset if you sold it and then it went up £5,000 or whether you kept it any it went down £5,000? Nothing wrong with locking in gain on something that’s sitting in a safe.

Master
    I am doing terrible just purchased another 2 watches yesterday. Won’t worry about averages just enjoy what I have.

Master
    Do you need the money? Do you want the money? More important could you put that money to better use?

I personally don’t see Rolex as investments, though I acknowledge for ‘now’ they have become investments in the eyes of many and I’m grateful that mine are worth more than I paid. Whether that continues or is even sustainable is to be seen. I also have a rule that if I’m not wearing it, I sell it. 5 times a year isn’t a lot of wear in my view.

Maybe this question, would you be more upset if you sold it and then it went up £5,000 or whether you kept it any it went down £5,000? Nothing wrong with locking in gain on something that’s sitting in a safe.
    Fortunately I do not need the money and if I sold the Daytona the money would simply top up an existing tracker fund.

The tracker could rise or fall as could the Daytona, so really it's hardly a major problem.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Fuelled by boredom with the tedium of 2020, I have gone a bit silly with purchases this year. It started with good intent, I was on a mission to reduce to ten watches, but as I type this, I have 23 with another one to pick up tomorrow. Ridiculous.

As a result of the ridiculousness, I've decided to have a clean 2021. Will I sell some? Yes. Will I buy straps? Maybe.
    Will I buy watches? I'm going to try not to.

Who is with me?
    I want to buy either a Rolex Submariner 124060 or a Sea-Dweller 116600..... so I suspect I’ll be an involuntary member!

Bought another watch today, so 2 in and 1 out in less than 4 weeks.

Who's stupid idea was this thread

The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

Saw this without much bidding action on eBay, put in a last minute bid and got it for £330 which I was really chuffed with given the prices they’re generally going for now (when you can actually find one), so I have also broken my abstinence vow after a pitiful 3 weeks! But it was a good opportunity so I’m not annoyed with myself, will see how far into the rest of the year I can get...

I only lasted two weeks before the offer of an OceanX Sharkmaster got the better of me.

I now have the offer of a Seiko SLA017 but I don't have anything like the funds available so have posted a Ginault on Sales Corner, with others to come. Otherwise my wife will be moving me out.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Fortunately I do not need the money and if I sold the Daytona the money would simply top up an existing tracker fund.

The tracker could rise or fall as could the Daytona, so really it's hardly a major problem.
    I seriously doubt the price of a Zenith movement Daytona is going to go down any time soon. A current model, maybe. Especially if the majority of those sold with the UK (or even EU) stay in the UK (or EU).

If you find yourself with a nice full set 4 line 14060M do consider sending it for a full RSC spa before sending me a PM. Would be much appreciated and by the time you get one and it comes back from a service I might even be able to afford it ;)

Still hanging in but I had a look at the usual online places yesterday, needed some retail therapy but stayed strong.

On the one-in-one-out thing, it doesn't wash with me, to my mind if you buy a watch, you're not abstained from purchasing watches, regardless of whether it's a net reduction to the collection or not. Now, a trade... that might be a grey area.

I’ll play along, i think i flipped about 3 or 4 watches a month last year on average on here...

Last purchase on the 26th Nov, I’ve enquired about a few on here and missed one by a hare’s whisker yesterday and i do have a wanted for one of Eddie’s pieces but still no purchases...

I’m starting to think that I could finally be done with fancy expensive watches now, although i do miss my Tudor BB58 and that Bremont Supermarine does look very nice...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If you find yourself with a nice full set 4 line 14060M do consider sending it for a full RSC spa before sending me a PM. Would be much appreciated and by the time you get one and it comes back from a service I might even be able to afford it ;)
    I know you’ve got the more modern reference divers... how do you feel about the five digit divers versus the six?

Well that's me done. Sold everything and just the one watch left. No more buying, no more selling.

This is the end, my only friend, the end...
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 8th February 2021 at 20:54.

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    I know you’ve got the more modern reference divers... how do you feel about the five digit divers versus the six?
    Would probably hardly ever wear but I do want to own one at some point even if I end up flipping. The modern ones are no doubt better watches but the ceramic is a bit loud and I'm finally understanding the 'charm' of the five digits and I've never given one a real go.
    Bought one of those the other year from Haywood, full set in mint condition, sold it on here.

Wait for it.... £5.2k
    You are the Marie Curie of flippers!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Saw this without much bidding action on eBay, put in a last minute bid and got it for £330 which I was really chuffed with given the prices they’re generally going for now (when you can actually find one), so I have also broken my abstinence vow after a pitiful 3 weeks! But it was a good opportunity so I’m not annoyed with myself, will see how far into the rest of the year I can get...

Congrats, great price for a SARB.

Looks excellent on that strap too!

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post

That's a steal! The dial looks gorgeous

Not bought a watch in 5 months, reckon I can get to 2022 without a watch purchase.
    Had a couple of wobbles with the sales but bailed out at the last minute.

Master
    Forgive me Father for I have sinned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Forgive me Father for I have sinned.
    It's time for confession then my son...just whisper in my ear what is your sin...no one but you and me will know.

Craftsman
    Picked up an Apple Watch last week. However, I will be applying to the committee for a “Mulligan”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by emb_164 View Post
    Congrats, great price for a SARB.

Looks excellent on that strap too!
    Are congratulations in order, when the poster has announced a purchase on the abstinence thread?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    Are congratulations in order, when the poster has announced a purchase on the abstinence thread?

Perhaps. Commiserations doesn’t have quite the same ring to it though

Master
    I was absolutely committed to no further acquisitions this year until last week, when I saw the release material for the Zenith Chronomaster Sport. I'm pretty sure that if a decent discount is to be had on it I will crack - 'decent' to be defined in due course via some man-maths, no doubt. So that resolution lasted all of three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post
    Picked up an Apple Watch last week. However, I will be applying to the committee for a “Mulligan”
    FWLIW I'd vote to allow that through scorecard unmarked - wrist-worn IT has no place here.

Master
    In a bid to reduce an already modest collection, last year saw me sell 2 and trade 1.

Replaced by 5 additions, how does that happen

2021 shall be an entirely different experience.

Err....

Oh, hang on a minute...... That’s it, I remember now. It’s my 50th this year which of course justifies the significant incoming I’m now waiting for.

Pathetic

Grand Master
    I’ve gone the other way, bought 5 in a month, hence the slightly desperate sales posts in sc...
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    I’ve massively resisted two watches, either of which I’d love to own and at 1 under par that is discipline indeed ( maybe worth a medal ). Nearly sold another watch as well so I’m doing well :-)

I'm having impure thoughts.....