closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer advice - REL, SVS, BK??

Master

Subwoofer advice - REL, SVS, BK??

Hi

Have done a few searches and has thrown up a number of threads on subs in use across our forum for the home AV enthusiast.

What I'm looking for is a 80% movie / 20% music sub to integrate with my Gallo 7 speaker setup (A Diva SE plus Micro SE).

I've trawled a number of forums and it's clearly a hot topic for everyone. I had looked at subs from REL (T5i/T7i), SVS and also BE Electric - a new brand to me

The REL's still appeal on paper as they look great and price wise are decent, but not sure if they have a better model suited for my requirements.

I'd appreciate any guidance and real expereiences from the forum before diving back into the world of AVForums!

Apprecaite any guidance as ever

Cheers

I spent ages looking into this and in the end went with a BK P12-300SB-PR. It fits very well with my monitor audio 270 speaker set up and yamaha Av amp. I very very happy with it

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Went for a BK as well, excellent spec and sound for the money.

My brother just bought a double Gem from BK and it's great little Sub, if your preference is mainly movies though I'd probably go with something ported, the question is how much space do you have and how much do you want to spend?

Arendal or SVS for ported Subs

Craftsman
    BK XLS-200DF for me too and it's been great for the money. Loads of reviews on avforums.com.

Keep an eye on eBay as BK sell refurbished items which as far as I can tell are mint with full warranty but always 20% cheaper than RRP.

The B&W PV1D is really good. :)

https://www.sunfire.com/

They seem to be very popular among the audiophile forum.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    The B&W PV1D is really good. :)
    Yes, just bought this as a av speaker package. Really impressed

I have a BK Gemini II and I'm very happy with. It's compact and in gloss black it's not a hideous addition to the room.

Subwoofer advice - REL, SVS, BK??

I’ve had a REL T5i for about three years and I’m happy with it. Not overpowering and adds to the experience for both film and music.

Now I must say that I’m not running anything like the equipment list that you are so the experience may not be like for like.

Mines connected to a Canton DM75 sound base and as a set up I’ve always been happy. This is something I’ve stated on here before.

I see that you are in Derbyshire. I’m just outside of Ashbourne. If you not in rush once restrictions are lifted you are welcome to come and have a listen.

Equally if you want me to unplug it and bring it to you I’m sure we can sort something out if you close enough to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andyp1973; 20th January 2021 at 21:48.

Master
    That is very kind thank you. REL definitely look comprehensive

It’s a minefield and I’m sure all the options would suit perfectly I’m just want to make right choice, reading forums is a nightmare to read through people’s natural bias and usually gossip about brand XYZ, it’s also skewed between US and EU brands I think.

I spoke with BK earlier and they don’t expect stock until March for their 300 model

+1 for BK here. I’ve had a XLS200 MK2 for quite a while and it packs quite a punch.

REL are very good. The T series are great. I knew Richard Lord the man that set up the company. He used to come up to my hifi business and was so full of enthusiasm, one of the likes of Quad's Peter Walker.

Craftsman
    BK if on a budget. REL or SVS if price less of a consideration.

Craftsman
    REL has been excellent for me in a dedicated cinema room. We used 2 of them and it’s a really balanced output.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    BK if on a budget. REL or SVS if price less of a consideration.
    This is a good point. After months on forums etc I think this is basically what I thought. Hi-fi / AV stuff hits the law of diminishing returns pretty quickly for me once you get into the region of £1000 and in all honesty I couldn't justify a SVS / REL for my system. To me BK hits the sweet spot with my current subwoofer. Of course all budgets, set ups, rooms, partners tolerance are different.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Can't comment on the other brands but I was stuck what to pair with my Kef Eggs when the sub in the package failed. The local hifi shop let me try a couple out and I went for a REL Tzero. It's at the budget end but fitted in nicely with the system (Sony STR-DN1080 amp) and wasn't massive. Meant it could easily be hidden in a room corner but allowed for the spacing from the wall to be as per the recommendations. It's been fit and forget and sounds great. I don't have a huge room though. The build quality is great but then it should be given their track record.

Quote Originally Posted by tomp View Post
    Can't comment on the other brands but I was stuck what to pair with my Kef Eggs when the sub in the package failed. The local hifi shop let me try a couple out and I went for a REL Tzero. It's at the budget end but fitted in nicely with the system (Sony STR-DN1080 amp) and wasn't massive. Meant it could easily be hidden in a room corner but allowed for the spacing from the wall to be as per the recommendations. It's been fit and forget and sounds great. I don't have a huge room though. The build quality is great but then it should be given their track record.
    Superb compact sub using class D amplification. No less than 7 coats of laquer used. Unbelievable for the size 👍🏻

Another brand to consider... I had a REL Quake for a while a good few years back, when put a home cinema in out last house we replaced with a Velodyne sub which was really nice. It really vanished into the room so you were never really aware of it but when it called for it the low frequencies really kicked... Worth looking at as I think they have units at a comparable level to the REL.

We've since moved so the Velodyne will be going in the family room and we're building a dedicated cinema room with build-in speakers and subs which is a bit of a lottery as you never really know how they're going to perform until they're in situ.

Master
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. It’s not a dedicated home cinema room so need to temper enthusiasm somewhat!

I’ll look at velodyne as well thanks

Journeyman
    Another BK fan here. Had about 5 years now xls200, not problems

Master
    My old monitor audio SW-12 gave up the ghost just before Xmas, so replaced it after 13yrs with the newer model.

I looked at other options, but either size or looks got them removed from choice by the wife! I have to say though I’m really impressed with the quality of the sound vs the old one & it really rumbles well in movies when needed.

Peter Tyson had a great price on them at £799 which seemed a bargain.

Master
    Just to update all on this thread and extend thanks again for all responses

I ended up choosing SVS SB 1000 via American Audio, great service from them and just getting rest of the setup installed and tuned.

Will share report later once all settled

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lippy View Post

I ended up choosing SVS SB 1000 via American Audio, great service from them and just getting rest of the setup installed and tuned.

Nice choice. That's what I have in my set up.

Master
    I’ve always sworn by MK (Miller Kreisel) http://mksound.com/, a niche but highly respected brand in home cinema. Ken Kreisel built some of the first subs in the 60s, and then designed the first self powered sub. They built director’s screening rooms in Hollywood in the 70s, really the first home cinema systems, and their equipment was used to mix some of the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings films.

The company disappeared for a while before being revived. You can often buy used on eBay for very good prices considering the quality, due to them not being all that well known as a hight street brand.

Clearly my post is too late for the OP! But someone else may be after one...

Master
    Velodyne used to be very good, this was about a decade and a half ago though.

Craftsman
    I've been looking at subs to extend the bass response on my Arcoustic speakers as well. Tempted by this one at the budget end - had good reviews from What Hi. Anyone got one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedal...MAAOSwKnddgktT

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I’ve always sworn by MK (Miller Kreisel) http://mksound.com/, a niche but highly respected brand in home cinema. Ken Kreisel built some of the first subs in the 60s, and then designed the first self powered sub. They built director’s screening rooms in Hollywood in the 70s, really the first home cinema systems, and their equipment was used to mix some of the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings films.

The company disappeared for a while before being revived. You can often buy used on eBay for very good prices considering the quality, due to them not being all that well known as a hight street brand.

Clearly my post is too late for the OP! But someone else may be after one...

Another vote for M&K here.

“Discover Deep Bass” on the bass driver tells you everything!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Another vote for M&K here.

“Discover Deep Bass” on the bass driver tells you everything!!
    M&K Subs are very nice, as are their speakers, THX certified as well

I've just ordered a pair of these which should be interesting, downward firing passive driver makes 4 per unit.

^^^^^ you know your subwoofers!!
    Fantastic, enjoy. 😁

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

I've just ordered a pair of these which should be interesting, downward firing passive driver makes 4 per unit.
    Dear lord, you know them well!

Please share the rest of your system, am assuming you have purchased an Odeon during lockdown.

Wow, I love my films and only 5.1 as the wife will not allow any Atmos speakers, but even my modest set up at the 70-75db 'listening volume' is intense, yours must be astounding, love it.

Master
    They look awesome! You must have some setup to accommodate them?

Journeyman

subs

They look awesome! You must have some setup to accommodate them?
    i have a movie based system and run two subs - a BK and a Loewe

the Loewe is shite and basically does not a lot - the BK Monolith (df) rules the roost

i'm about to upgrade my whole system and am looking at Rel/Kef

I'm in the process of getting a home cinema fitted, finally got a dedicated room for it and I've gone with a pair of Artison RCC320 in wall subs. It's not the biggest room but apparently the in-wall ones never kick out quite as much and standalone versions so went with a pair of them and a separate amp.

No way to try them so going on the recommendations of the av company fitting them.

if anything like my SVS streaming amp( just purchased week ago) , you will not be disapointed, they are well known for the speakers/ subs , lets know what you think

My sub has given up the ghost, but it is over 15 years old and probably not well suited to the job in hand - my living room is 5.25m x 5.25m with a high ceiling topped with a large lantern (don't talk to me about light pollution!) and it is also open to the kitchen/breakfast room. The floors are wood with a central rug and any sub needs to be at the front of the viewing space, within a metre of the corner. I have a Marantz SR6013 powering the 7.1 set-up, using KEF eggs, 2 front height, 4 rear/surround, and single centre. TV is 55" Panasonic and there is a 10ft drop down screen, JVC projector.
    I am quite confused about the best sub option for this room. I suspect that downward firing might be easier to set up, although I quite like that higher end RELs are front and down firing, but I seem to read that it may not make a difference which way the speaker points. I'm going to need some power for a room of this size, but also want some agility, as volume isn't everything.
    What are the best options? REL T7x or T9x? SVS? Others?
    Thanks in advance

Craftsman
    REL is always the best bet.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a pair of these Rel 212/SX, I have no complaints about bass quality.

Blimey! Like the PMCs. I assume that is a hi-fi system, not HT

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Blimey! Like the PMCs. I assume that is a hi-fi system, not HT
    Its actually both 2 channel and home theatre, 2 channel is just both Subs and L&R main speakers, HT is then all speakers in the room, the PMC were the PB1i but I recently upgraded those as to the Audiovector R3 Arrete and matching centre speaker, the detail in these is just another level as well as the output for such a compact speaker. All driven by a Lyngdorf MP-40 processor and NAD M28 Amp

Last edited by Vanguard; 3rd September 2021 at 10:57.

My sub has given up the ghost, but it is over 15 years old and probably not well suited to the job in hand - my living room is 5.25m x 5.25m with a high ceiling topped with a large lantern (don't talk to me about light pollution!) and it is also open to the kitchen/breakfast room. The floors are wood with a central rug and any sub needs to be at the front of the viewing space, within a metre of the corner. I have a Marantz SR6013 powering the 7.1 set-up, using KEF eggs, 2 front height, 4 rear/surround, and single centre. TV is 55" Panasonic and there is a 10ft drop down screen, JVC projector.
    I am quite confused about the best sub option for this room. I suspect that downward firing might be easier to set up, although I quite like that higher end RELs are front and down firing, but I seem to read that it may not make a difference which way the speaker points. I'm going to need some power for a room of this size, but also want some agility, as volume isn't everything.
    What are the best options? REL T7x or T9x? SVS? Others?
    Thanks in advance

Always better to have twin subs even if they are smaller than one huge one for a more even response in the room, do you have a budget in mind and is it just for movies or music as well?

It's just for TV and HT. The hi-fi system is in another room.
    The cinema room has wiring for 2 subs, but unfortunately Mrs W won't have it as it's too prominent. I have had a difficult time just keeping the projector and screen, so I am limited to a single sub, although it doesn't need to be small. Perhaps not the size of yours though!
    Budget up to £1500, although AVF have given very favourable reviews of BK at half the price

Master
    https://petertyson.co.uk/monitor-aud...gh-gloss-black

I bought this after its predecessor have you the ghost just before Christmas.

Have been really impressed with what it can deliver & it’s auto calibration for the room was a huge step forward vs the older model.

I’m amazed what parts of my house in other rooms it can make rattle when it gets cranked up.

I’d love a second sub too, but my wife is also not willing to have a second one in the lounge. Mine isn’t placed perfectly, it’s too near a corner & on the rear speaker axis vs the front, but until I have a cinema room, it’s about compromise.

It's just for TV and HT. The hi-fi system is in another room.
    The cinema room has wiring for 2 subs, but unfortunately Mrs W won't have it as it's too prominent. I have had a difficult time just keeping the projector and screen, so I am limited to a single sub, although it doesn't need to be small. Perhaps not the size of yours though!
    Budget up to £1500, although AVF have given very favourable reviews of BK at half the price

This would be my pick for £1500 if it was just for movies/TV and you have no issue with size on a single unit, I'd go ported over sealed for ultimate depth on the .1 effects

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/svs-pb3000-subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    https://petertyson.co.uk/monitor-aud...gh-gloss-black

I bought this after its predecessor have you the ghost just before Christmas.

Have been really impressed with what it can deliver & it’s auto calibration for the room was a huge step forward vs the older model.

I’m amazed what parts of my house in other rooms it can make rattle when it gets cranked up.

I’d love a second sub too, but my wife is also not willing to have a second one in the lounge. Mine isn’t placed perfectly, it’s too near a corner & on the rear speaker axis vs the front, but until I have a cinema room, it’s about compromise.
    Well worth considering, thanks

There's always a compromise, but on the positive side, the other half has agreed to upgrading the 55in plasma to a 77in OLED. Hope to get that sorted before the autumn internationals start...

This would be my pick for £1500 if it was just for movies/TV and you have no issue with size on a single unit, I'd go ported over sealed for ultimate depth on the .1 effects

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/svs-pb3000-subwoofer
    Looked at and seriously considering its 2000 series brother which has good reviews. I wasn't sure if the 3000 series was a bit of a stretch budget wise, but you've got me salivating now!

I have one of these in gloss black and am very impressed with it. I couldn't justify spending more for probably very small gains.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofe...20P12-300SB_PR

Looked at and seriously considering its 2000 series brother which has good reviews. I wasn't sure if the 3000 series was a bit of a stretch budget wise, but you've got me salivating now!

You could dry your washing in front of the 3000

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I have one of these in gloss black and am very impressed with it. I couldn't justify spending more for probably very small gains.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofe...20P12-300SB_PR
    How is the finish on these? Gloss black is likely preferred option if I were to go this route

Master
    Have you seen the chap selling a pair of new rel subs on SC?
    I think they might also be on avforums at a slightly lower price so perhaps so room to negotiate?

Found the ad
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...highlight=Pair
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 3rd September 2021 at 22:01.