closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: High End One Handed Watches

Craftsman

High End One Handed Watches

I haven't read much on here re. one handed watches and the search facility doesn't throw up much, which probably answers my question. Do many of you on here own one and if so, would you recommend? What would be considered a high end brand in this segment? Fancy something different but good quality.

You want high end? This Ludovic Ballouard certainly fits that bill.....https://quillandpad.com/2018/10/07/w...-down-archive/

EDIT - BOOOOOO, totally didn't realise it had a second hand! But I guess it kinda fits the philosophy of what you're looking for.
    Last edited by crazyp; 3rd January 2021 at 10:24.

I think a lot of people perhaps try a Luch as a cheap way into this style, moving to Meistersinger if they like it. Meistersinger do some comparatively affordable models, but this seems to top of their tree. It's certainly a style you'd want to buy used, I imagine full RRP will plummet if sold on.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    You want high end? This Ludovic Ballouard certainly fits that bill.....https://quillandpad.com/2018/10/07/w...-down-archive/

Lovely movement and case, but a very marmite dial. I'd have to practise my cartwheels to be able to read the time! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Lovely movement and case, but a very marmite dial. I'd have to practise my cartwheels to be able to read the time! ;-)
    hehe, I agree it's a bit difficult to actually read - but the dot under the number does allow your eyes to find the correct hour.

Oh OP - another type/style of watch to look for is jumping hours , like this Reservoir (with retrograde) - https://monochrome-watches.com/reser...-review-price/

I'm on a roll......technically Urwerk are one-handers (actually wandering hours is another complication worth looking for!)

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-o...h-in-gunmetal/

EDIT - BOOOOOO, totally didn't realise it had a second hand! But I guess it kinda fits the philosophy of what you're looking for.
    Isn’t that actually a regulator rather than a one hander?

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Isn’t that actually a regulator rather than a one hander?
    Well the second hand an issue from making it a one hander! I think technically you’re right, it is a regulator though unconventional but it’s not done to help or improve chronometry here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the second hand an issue from making it a one hander! I think technically you’re right, it is a regulator though unconventional but it’s not done to help or improve chronometry here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is certainly very cool. If it weren’t for the italic numbers I’d be quite tempted ... oh, and the price!

Maybe obvious to everyone else but why are numbers upside down? (Apart from 11 for some reason...)

Edit - I see now!

Because the numbers rotate to show the hour? Like here, it’s 11:20 (and 15s)?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Yes, just realised, it’s quite cool!

Indeed. And the dot is masked when the dial disappears under the rehaut (or whatever the correct name is)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I think a lot of people perhaps try a Luch as a cheap way into this style, moving to Meistersinger if they like it. Meistersinger do some comparatively affordable models, but this seems to top of their tree. It's certainly a style you'd want to buy used, I imagine full RRP will plummet if sold on.
    No way would that retain anyway near it’s asking price.

It is amusing to note that it uses a modified Christopher Ward SH21 movement.

Blog Entries
    The only one handed watches I've seen up close up close and personal so to speak are Meistersinger. I saw them at an Omega AD's event to introduce the (then) new Seamaster model. Some of them looked nice and had a certain charm to them, but I felt they were a little bit 'affected' which put me off.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    No way would that retain anyway near it’s asking price.

It is amusing to note that it uses a modified Christopher Ward SH21 movement.
    Yes I recall at the CW GTG they pointed out they supply MS with their movements, an interesting point considering CW sell a one handed watch that is a lot less than MS. I have owned 2 CW one handed watches (Jumping hour) They both came in the sales I think about £500 or thereabouts. Both of them were very accurate by the way and very well made.

I am not sure by high end the OP simply means expensive or well made? Jörg Schauer has a one handed watch his own watches are hand made and usually limited in numbers. Not owned one but have 2 Stowa watches and generally it is thought that Jorg's watches are a step above Stowa in quality. They used to hold their value quite well but perhaps not so these days as it seems if you are not paying 50% over retail its not worth buying.

Don’t know about high end, but my Meistersinger Perigraph sees plenty of use and gets a fair few comments. It’s this one:

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...3-watch-ms-028

Craftsman
    Interesting reading folks - thanks. Perhaps high end wasn’t the best terminology - I was referring to something that would be considered by those in the know as well made and I guess, a model that wouldn’t plummet in value.

That Ballourd is pretty cool but price aside, not something I’m keen on with the upside down numbers. I do like that jumping hours Reservoir watch - thanks for the heads up on that crazyp.

Are there any dive-inspired single handlers with the associated strap and overall style worth mentioning?

Craftsman
    I’ve got this Meistersinger Metris

I like it as something a bit different and its remarkably easy to read after a little practice. It’s got a more sporty style that a lot of their other models which I found a little sterile for my taste. Nice cushion case, 200m water resistance, Selitta movement and even a bit of lume.

Some of the higher end models, lunarscope? use the Christopher Ward JJxx movements and are pretty expensive for what they are.

I bought my Metris when it briefly appeared on the CW website at a considerable discount and am very pleased with it. I can imagine the depreciation is pretty steep but I intend to keep this so that is not an issue for me.

I do remember seeing one of these appear on SC a few weeks ago, I’ve not looked to see if it is still there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    Interesting reading folks - thanks. Perhaps high end wasn’t the best terminology - I was referring to something that would be considered by those in the know as well made and I guess, a model that wouldn’t plummet in value.

That Ballourd is pretty cool but price aside, not something I’m keen on with the upside down numbers. I do like that jumping hours Reservoir watch - thanks for the heads up on that crazyp.

Are there any dive-inspired single handlers with the associated strap and overall style worth mentioning?
    Meistersinger has a diver.

https://monochrome-watches.com/meist...-review-price/

If you don't mind a mention of The Dark Side, here is my RLT one-hander, which I wear when I go back to Cornwall.
    IIRC it is a Seagull manual wind movement.
    I paid around £100 on the, er, second hand market.

Craftsman
    Some nice examples to check out in more detail. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Some interesting makers there - especially like the Nienaber (and more especially their regulator) anyone any experience with them?

Craftsman
    I have a Defakto Eins, not sure if it qualifies as high end but it's (ETA) automatic and well made.

The dial is clear enough to read to about the nearest 5-10 mins which for me makes it an ideal holiday watch as it makes me take a more relaxed approach to time.

They do a number of one-hand watches in different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That is extremely cool, I hadn't clocked that and thought it was just an hour hand pointing at upside down numbers to be 'different'!

That's really, really lovely.

You want high end? This Ludovic Ballouard certainly fits that bill.....
    This is absolutely magnificent. Wow. I WANT one so much!
    *Starts saving for 20 years.*

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    This is absolutely magnificent. Wow. I WANT one so much!
    *Starts saving for 20 years.*
    It really is, plus a rather nice backside too....but yea, crazy expensive unfortuantely.

It really is, plus a rather nice backside too....but yea, crazy expensive unfortuantely.

I have met him and played with that toy couple years ago....cool piece..the base is a Peseux movement...

Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    I have met him and played with that toy couple years ago....cool piece..the base is a Peseux movement...
    It shows how versatile these 'basic' base movements are - the 7750 is another movement which is so versatile to build on. Sven Andersen is famous in saying there is no point in developing an in-house base when you have such good options to build on - it also keeps the price relatively down (worth reading this article https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/05/sve...ime-watch.html)

How was the finishing on the movement?

It shows how versatile these 'basic' base movements are - the 7750 is another movement which is so versatile to build on. Sven Andersen is famous in saying there is no point in developing an in-house base when you have such good options to build on - it also keeps the price relatively down (worth reading this article https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/05/sve...ime-watch.html)

How was the finishing on the movement?
    Basic movements work well...is all about modules applied on them..Sven Andersen is a genius....he used FP and AS ebauches for his watches...

I also played with the Half-Time model....also very cool...the finishing is good but not outstanding...reasonable..

Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    Basic movements work well...is all about modules applied on them..Sven Andersen is a genius....he used FP and AS ebauches for his watches...

I also played with the Half-Time model....also very cool...the finishing is good but not outstanding...reasonable..
    Yep the half time is also very cool! For the price of £60-80k, finishing should be a bit better.

Would love a Svend Andersen, great watches.

More jumping-hour than strict one-hander, but I do like the look of some of Reservoir's offer:

Omega Jumping Hours

^^^ How cool is that! Thanks for posting, never seen one before.

Master
    Wow thanks for sharing, never knew something like this existed. Gorgeous watch!

Master
    I've sometimes thought about getting a decent quality (not "high end") one hander, then I wear my cheap one-hander for a day or two and I think - no, I don't need one.

My own one-hander has a very pointy hour hand and delimiters running round the dial, so that it's possible to gauge the time to within a couple of minutes. That would be quite a lot harder on the Ludovic Ballouard pictured, but perhaps that's more in keeping with the philosophy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Oh, I see. Not hard then, but it's not a one-hander either. Very nice though.

Master
    I have a Luch which was well under £75 from memory. I keep looking at MS watches then remember how infrequently the Luch gets wrist time so don't feel the need to drop £1000+
    Last edited by J J Carter; 5th January 2021 at 21:38.

If you can afford them

Breguet - made a variety of models

Vacheron - may be a one off custom order

DON

A wee bump, just came across this mini review of the Ludovic Ballouard that folk subscriibed here maybe interested in!

https://deployant.com/ludovic-ballou...e-look-review/