closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Will generic movements improve?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Yes, they will improve.
    There is a massive new market for the "boutique" brands, all of whom need movements.
    There used to be a near monopoly on movements, ran by ETA, who supplied a large proportion of the movmeents used by smaller brands who wanted to offer quality.
    They have given up that monopoly, and now there are quite a few companies competing for that market.
    This will drive improvements. It is bound to.
    D
    ETA didn't actually give up the monopoly. They carefully announced that they were not going to keep supplying everybody for ever.
    It was an odd strategy and perhaps it has blown up in their faces. Maybe they didn't anticipate the reaction or maybe they did. Whatever it is a breath of fresh air for the industry. Coming back to the OP's question, maybe it should be "Will there be generic mechanical movements in 10 years time?"

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    ETA didn't actually give up the monopoly. They carefully announced that they were not going to keep supplying everybody for ever.
    It was an odd strategy and perhaps it has blown up in their faces. Maybe they didn't anticipate the reaction or maybe they did. Whatever it is a breath of fresh air for the industry. Coming back to the OP's question, maybe it should be "Will there be generic mechanical movements in 10 years time?"
    Sorry, but if you supply most of the movements to third parties, then tell everyone that you in the future you won't, and then you don't, you are giving up your monopoly (in effect). It's done.

I am not going into the whys and wherefores, that is what they did.
    Personally, I think it is a disaster for them.
    And it has manifestly benefitted Miyota, Sellita, Seiko and many others who now have filled the gaps ETA left.
    It has also spurred many others to produce movements, for themselves, and possibly for others.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Sorry, but if you supply most of the movements to third parties, then tell everyone that you in the future you won't, and then you don't, you are giving up your monopoly (in effect). It's done.

I am not going into the whys and wherefores, that is what they did.
    Personally, I think it is a disaster for them.
    And it has manifestly benefitted Miyota, Sellita, Seiko and many others who now have filled the gaps ETA left.
    It has also spurred many others to produce movements, for themselves, and possibly for others.
    D
    I took you to mean that ETA had lost their monopoly by not trying hard enough or failing to inovate. As a part of the Swatch group I imagine they have access to plenty of good ideas.