closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wood tool advice

Wood tool advice

Falling back on the knowledge within the forum.

I have got to fit some skirting board around a room and then replace some worn decking. Looking at saws online and need something that will mitre my skirting boards and then make cutting 40 decking boards to length not too much of a chore. Would either of the saws below be suitable or is one a bot better/adaptable? Not looking to spend mega money as it wont be used much if at all after these 2 jobs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Perf...ondition=4%7C3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sliding-M...ondition=4%7C3

Thanks,
    Tom

Master
    The first link the blade has too few teeth for fine work like skirtings and trim, be fine for decking

Borrow a jigsaw from a mate. Should eat that work.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Borrow a jigsaw from a mate. Should eat that work.
    Don't think you'll get an accurate mitre with a jigsaw.

A jigsaw will not do neat mitres, they are a bitch to work with at anything other than 90 degrees.
    Personally, I would not buy a sliding compound mitre saw for this job, although it will do it fine. Purely because one will be of less use later. I would buy a plunge saw (or rail saw - same thing).
    Toolstation do a Draper one for £120, B&Q a Macallister one for £100
    Dave

If it's just a one off job ,rent a compound mitre saw from your local tool hire centre ,they are usually pretty good with advice about your particular job requirements.

Watch the size of the mitre saw - I have a small one and it cuts some decking not all however.

This one cuts standard deck boards but some are too wide.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N96OD...p_mob_ap_share

Master
    I had a load of larch cladding to install recently and managed to pick up a Makita LS1040 chop saw from eBay for £50. It was cheaper than hiring one for the weekend and it’s come in handy for a few other jobs but I could have sold back on eBay for the same cost probably.
    Last edited by benny.c; 14th November 2020 at 19:22.

I think a mite saw is the best tool.

Note that for skirting boards, you mitre external corners, and scribe internal corners. Google "scribing skirting boards" for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don't think you'll get an accurate mitre with a jigsaw.
    very true. A chop saw is the correct answer.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Skirting boards need to be 'scribed' so you'll need a coping saw.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

I have 2
    A top end Festool kapex mitre saw that eats any job
    But also bought a screwfix cheapy mitre daw by evolution that is fantastic, light and accurate for detail work,easy to transport and use.
    It only cost about £60
    I fitted a 60 tooth blade that cost about a tenner extra and came with a set of reducing bushes that ensured a good fit
    Excellent for the money

Journeyman
    Out of those two I'd go with the evolution. If you need to do skirting mitres then you'll need a compound mitre saw as you'll need to lay the skirting flat to cut it (you could fit skirting upright under a larger saw). Screwfix have the evolution compound mitre for £15 less than your eBay link. It's not sliding though, so make sure the depth of cut is enough for your skirting and decking width.

Don't use a jigsaw - terrible idea.

As mentioned above you should scribe the internal skirting corners. If you mitre them they could come apart over time. It's easy to do- just cut a mitre on the end then use coping saw to cut around the profile of the skirting left by the mitre.

Thanks all for the great advice above. I am going to go for a rail saw as I have another job boxing in some pipes that it will be ideal for. I will buy a cheaper mitre block for the skirting and do it that way.
    Thanks again,
    Tom

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    Thanks all for the great advice above. I am going to go for a rail saw as I have another job boxing in some pipes that it will be ideal for. I will buy a cheaper mitre block for the skirting and do it that way.
    You might want to have a look at a few of the reviews these guys have done:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0MWlxPtBHY

Master
    Get a second hand elu mitre saw.
    Skirting are scribed on internal angles and mitred on external

Go to screwfix. By an evolution mitre saw. You won’t need a double compound version. 2 year warranty. Can’t go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignore all the posts recommending a jigsaw or plunge saw!

If you are cutting skirtings and architraves you will definitely not want to be using a jigsaw and you will struggle with a plunge saw. Buy a mitre saw aka chop saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Ignore all the posts recommending a jigsaw or plunge saw!

If you are cutting skirtings and architraves you will definitely not want to be using a jigsaw and you will struggle with a plunge saw. Buy a mitre saw aka chop saw.

And a coping saw for internal mitres.