closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Turning a photo into a poster - advice pls

Turning a photo into a poster - advice pls

As per title, I have a nice photo that I want converting into a poster or canvas.

I’ve tried through google and I’m just left a bit underwhelmed with the various sites.
    I cannot really tell how good the image will come out when blown up, what definition may have been lost, how a canvas may look compared to a poster print, etc.

Photo was taken with my iPhone, in colour. I want it in black and white but with a tweak to the definition - which I did myself on the phone (through Instagram filter I think) and looks great in small, but not sure if this will translate when blown up.
    Original image is 2.2mb but B&W version drops to 1.2mb and wondered if definition had been lost.

Who can I go to and talk with! It’s all so cold doing online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're going to really struggle if you want to blow up an iPhone pic at 1.2Mb to poster size and still have it looking good at acceptable viewing distances.

What sort of size were you thinking of? Can you post the image here so we can take a look?

Each iPhone has a different quality camera, obviously newer = better and more pixels.

Instagram reduces the quality and size of the image to 1080px x 1080px - that's not an ideal size for a poster. So don't use the instagram filtered image, edit the original image on the iphone in Photo and if you email the image, send it at Actual Size (Apple Mail asks if you'd like to compress the image - don't).

Master
    Can't add any practical advice but I found this:

http://www.urban75.org/photos/print.html

There are various places that appear to serve the professional rather than retail markets. This came up on Google, no knowledge of them beyond that. You could ring them and discuss what they can do to get the best from the small file size.

https://metroimaging.co.uk/professional-photo-printing/
    Last edited by David_D; 9th November 2020 at 18:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I think you're going to really struggle if you want to blow up an iPhone pic at 1.2Mb to poster size and still have it looking good at acceptable viewing distances.

What sort of size were you thinking of? Can you post the image here so we can take a look?
    This was my thought.
    At least the original is 2.2mb so might be ok to blow up somewhat.
    I will edit in iPhone rather than insta, as I know that reduces quality.

Size - at least A3, bigger if I can get away with it.

Basic image is this, of my Son’s hands and some snails he was very proud of having collected.

And the B&W version was:

You might be able to get away with this at A3 size in B&W and printed at a lower resolution, especially if it were saved as a TIFF file (not sure if you shot this in RAW). Possibly canvas would be better as well for this image.

I've recently done something very similar to this.

I had a photo I took on my Samsung S10 phone turned into an A1 poster.

The original was 3.34mb (4032 x 3024), and it has been turned into a very nice poster around A1 size.

After reading a few web articles, I initially used Jessops. However, they managed to mess it up not once, but twice! Each one had feathering marks.

I then did some more research. After reading posts on some British amateur photography websites, DS Colour Labs stuck out as one frequently recommended.

I contacted them, and they were very good in advising me about how best to set-up the image on their website. A guy there called Antony even helped me set-up the file.

Not only were there no faults in the print, the quality of the print was significantly better than Jessops.

Re image size, I'd say mine (3.34mb) was at the limit for A1. If yours is 2.2mb, I'd suggest something smaller than A1.

Speak to DS Colour Labs and ask their advice. Their prices are also no more than Jessops.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Excellent - thanks!

Craftsman

I have photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    As per title, I have a nice photo that I want converting into a poster or canvas.

I’ve tried through google and I’m just left a bit underwhelmed with the various sites.
    I cannot really tell how good the image will come out when blown up, what definition may have been lost, how a canvas may look compared to a poster print, etc.

Photo was taken with my iPhone, in colour. I want it in black and white but with a tweak to the definition - which I did myself on the phone (through Instagram filter I think) and looks great in small, but not sure if this will translate when blown up.
    Original image is 2.2mb but B&W version drops to 1.2mb and wondered if definition had been lost.

Who can I go to and talk with! It’s all so cold doing online.

and can quite easily make this bigger for you with little or no degradation. I will PM you my email address, if you want me to have me a crack pls send the highest resolution photo you have and give me an idea of what size canvas you were thinking of.

I have a sequence of 500x700mm posters in frames up the stairs. Don’t laugh, I got them printed in the nearby Tesco. No issues in reproduction at all.

That’s a cracking photo incidentally.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on quality. I have a similar size poster, about 500x700, in black and white which looks fantastic even though it’s grainy as hell, taken on film. You might have seen it. It’s the MLK “I have a dream” speech. Fabulous photo, dreadful technical quality. It’s the content that counts!

https://themarburylady.co.uk/categor...rints/hazydays ... the lady produces 32" x 24" prints from iPhone images

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Great pic indeed. Apart from resolution the pic looks better in portrait than square with the cut off fingers.

Someone with a decent photo editing software can fix this for you - I’m happy to help but see others have already offered. If the phone isn’t too old it will print fine up to billboard size.

Master
    I have had two dslr photos blown up to 1000mm X 400 mm ish. Both are grainy , but you have to ask yourself “ why am I doing it” You love the contents and the message your sons hands convey at that particular time and day. Making it larger means it can be viewed by everyone at an appropriate distance, thats all. The quality at 12 inches away is irrelevant.

In closing I have to say I would agree with the above post, the shot is better in portrait mode and dont crop of his fingers.

Great shot though and a good offer by hops to post process it for you.

Steve

If it’s any help I’ve had several iPhone pictures that I’ve had “canvased”, if I may say so myself, to a very satisfactory result.
    No editing or jiggery pokery, just reproduced on to canvas.
    They are 770x500mm size.
    Were done via a wowcher offer at my canvas or my picture dot co etc don’t remember which.
    About £25 inc p+p each.

Last edited by John Wall; 10th November 2020 at 19:53.