closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses

Sunglasses

Years since I had a decent pair, fancy something like Ray Ban Clubmaster or similar - where is a reliable and competitive place to buy online?

Edit: just noticed I have speed posted to almost 1,000
    Last edited by Crispin; 15th September 2020 at 08:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Years since I had a decent pair, fancy something like Ray Ban Clubmaster or similar - where is a reliable and competitive place to buy online?
    Just pop the model number into Google, plenty of reputable online sellers
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Tried many over the years but for the past 10years wear only Persol (649 and 714 models) and Randolph Engineering aviators.

As for the eBay sellers, search for Ottica Mallet in Italy, ordered 2 times from them and everything was perfect (if you don't mind shipping from Italy)
    Last edited by Incursore; 15th September 2020 at 09:22. Reason: Ebay seller

I have always used RayBan Aviators. I have a polarized pair for driving, and a pair of the original B&L lens.
    Choose sunglasses to suite your face shape 😎

I can't seem to stop buying sunglasses. Funnily enough, I've recently been looking at Clubmasters so my TZ is full of adverts for sunglasses.

If you are after a cheaper version but still very good quality, I recommend Polaroid...I've got a pair of these PLD1012 and don't feel the need to purchase Ray Bans after using these for a couple of years (you can find these even cheaper elsewhere)...

https://www.misterspex.co.uk/p/sg/6529571

I've used both Mister Spex and Sunglasses Shop - both very good online shops, much cheaper than elsewhere. Worth googling promo codes (although the cheapest price often comes from the google search itself on these sites). I think the cheapest I have recently seen the Clubmaster (Metal) is on Mister Spex...https://www.misterspex.co.uk/p/sg/6713499

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I bought my Persol Steve McQueen and Tom Ford Snowdens from Pretavoir.

They have regular special offers / free gifts, and are completely genuine and reliable.

https://www.pretavoir.co.uk/

Master
    Keep an eye on SC, as with summer coming to an end, there’s bound to be a glut of unworn sunglasses about to be listed 😉

Master
    Maui Jim have the best lenses in any sunglasses I have had to date.

Master
    Another supporter of Mister Spex, been using them for years.

Costco were selling clubmaster at a ridiculously cheap price a year or so ago, as my wife purchased a pair there

Master
    Roka getting a lote of love esp the sports glasses and Ti aviators https://uk.roka.com/

I'm on the Mister Spex train.

BTW the majority of 'designer' brands are made by Luxottica in Italy http://www.luxottica.com/en/eyewear-brands

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Maui Jim have the best lenses in any sunglasses I have had to date.
    There seems to be some good deals on Maui Jim on Amazon - what are the risks that they could be fakes? (I’m still uncertain of Amazon’s approach to selling)

Master
    [QUOTE=Rod;5532516]I have always used RayBan Aviators. I have a polarized pair for driving, and a pair of the original B&L lens.

I also have a pair of Aviators with the glass B&L lens which must be 25+ years old. I recently bought a couple of pairs of Aviators for my lad and his partner from Ray Ban/Luxottica which came from Italy (I had a work related discount code and saved a few bob). I'm not sure the modern ones will last as long. Ray Ban does have some discounted products on line. My BIL swears by Maui Jim's, so that's an option but I haven't seen anything of theirs that I fancy.
    I'm currently wearing a pair of Oakley Square Wires bought in Florida about 12 years ago and while they are standing up well, I really fancy a pair of Randolph's or American Optic's but am having a problem finding someone who will offer a prescription lens.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=Beanie;5532663]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I have always used RayBan Aviators. I have a polarized pair for driving, and a pair of the original B&L lens.

I also have a pair of Aviators with the glass B&L lens which must be 25+ years old. I recently bought a couple of pairs of Aviators for my lad and his partner from Ray Ban/Luxottica which came from Italy (I had a work related discount code and saved a few bob). I'm not sure the modern ones will last as long. Ray Ban does have some discounted products on line. My BIL swears by Maui Jim's, so that's an option but I haven't seen anything of theirs that I fancy.
    I'm currently wearing a pair of Oakley Square Wires bought in Florida about 12 years ago and while they are standing up well, I really fancy a pair of Randolph's or American Optic's but am having a problem finding someone who will offer a prescription lens.
    i've also got a pair of Acetate aviators, with B&L lenses which date from the mid 90s - lens quality is amazing and i'm not sure the modern version are the same
    Older ones seem to pop up on ebay though....

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Beanie;5532663]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

i've also got a pair of Acetate aviators, with B&L lenses which date from the mid 90s - lens quality is amazing and i'm not sure the modern version are the same
    Older ones seem to pop up on ebay though....

I must have went through 3 or 4 sets of Ray Ban's before I switched to Randolph Engineering Aviators', which have been a big step up in quality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I must have went through 3 or 4 sets of Ray Ban's before I switched to Randolph Engineering Aviators', which have been a big step up in quality.
    I’m on my second pair of Randolfs in about 25 years only because my last pair got pinched along with my car, great lenses!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm all vintage Ray Ban's, Aviators and Wayfarers that I have picked up over the years.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I’m on my second pair of Randolfs in about 25 years only because my last pair got pinched along with my car, great lenses!

They are great glasses. I bought a pair three years ago and they still look brand new.

Master
    Randolph's are where it's at.

Master
    Raybans, Oakleys and a pair of Tag Heuers

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    There seems to be some good deals on Maui Jim on Amazon - what are the risks that they could be fakes? (I’m still uncertain of Amazon’s approach to selling)
    Anyone? I don’t want to buy ‘homage’ Maui Jims!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Randolph's are where it's at.
    For anyone wanting Randolph's on a tighter budget, American Optical Original Pilot sunglasses were made to the same spec as it was a military contract. I notice in american 'BX' shops (military base exchange), they no longer stock them in their uniform shops and now sell Eagle Eyes "Freedom" Sunglasses. Bought myself a pair last time I was there and they are good, not quite as good as the AO ones though. For those into military aviators, both brands are worth checking out.

Master
    I had (still have) a pair of AO before I bought the Randolph's. Very good value for money. They look great but they don't seem to hold up as well. Still great glasses for the price.

I got some Persols from Edel Optics, all fine and would happily deal with them again. I too have the sunglasses bug. Different styles, different qualities for different jobs. Slightly cheaper than the watch habit too!

serengeti - probably the best lenses ive had in any sunglasses (though my experience is pretty limited )

I personally would not. Might be worth calling your local stockists if they can price match.

I got my MJ prescription from Scrivens a few years ago and managed to get a discount.

Master
    Has anyone tried SunGod? I feel like something a bit different.

Currently have 2 x Rayban Aviators (1 polarised) and polarised Cartier tortoiseshell.

Question to the group - currently owner of the classic Rayban Clubmaster Classics but I’m seeking opinions on Persol as a brand?

Good quality seeing the price tag?! Worth it? Any comments would be awesome!

S

Tried loads but always come back to Cutler & Gross.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Has anyone tried SunGod? I feel like something a bit different.

Currently have 2 x Rayban Aviators (1 polarised) and polarised Cartier tortoiseshell.
    I’ve got a pair which replaced a pair of polarized Oakley’s. They seem fairly robust, nicely made and allow for a bit of customization and all for a reasonable price.

Journeyman
    I would be wary of amazon. I bought mine from the Optic shop. they have some good deals on. brilliant lenses. Mind you, the corner will crack if dropped. worth knowing. I now use Oakleys for sport. In my opinion the lenses beat my oakleys and my Raybans

https://www.theopticshop.co.uk/brands/maui-jim/

I'm something of a sunglasses fanboy too..(eyes very sensitive to light)...I've got a few pairs of Serengeti's that I love...great quality and fantastic glass lenses (always go for the drivers gradient which are brilliant)...I've also had a few pairs of sungods for more general rough and tumble stuff inc sports...I'm a big fan, the renegades are nice but I found the Sierras fit my small to medium face a bit better..my day to day pair of sungods refuse to die and still no scratches..stuff em in a bag or pocket no problem..and they have a lifetime warranty inc breakages....highly recommended

Master
    Oh well just bought more Rayban.

Ever tried on getting the real rayban's (USA Bausch&Lomb lenses)? Plenty of choice on ebay. I got mine last year and I am super satisfied, these are build to last amd the price can be quite competitive

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koriste?i Tapatalk

Master
    Suck up the tariff and get some Maui Jim.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by martyloveswatches View Post
    Ever tried on getting the real rayban's (USA Bausch&Lomb lenses)? Plenty of choice on ebay. I got mine last year and I am super satisfied, these are build to last amd the price can be quite competitive

Poslano sa mog SM-G see960F koriste?i Tapatalk
    I've had my Ray Ban B&L Aviators since 1985 and they've been dropped, chucked in the glove box and not treated well, but they continue like new,
    without any marks or scratches.
    Fabulous glasses.

Master
    I've always been an 'Oakley guy' but have become steadily more disappointed with them since their takeover by Luxottica. I realize that the same company owns Ray-Ban but was wondering if Ray-Bans had gone through a similar cost cutting exercise where older model Aviators are better made than newer ones.

While Maui Jim seems to be the answer, unfortunately getting the CFO to agree to that sort of spend (prescription lenses too) on something that will live in the car and be used at most 25% of journeys is nigh on impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    While Maui Jim seems to be the answer, unfortunately getting the CFO to agree to that sort of spend (prescription lenses too) on something that will live in the car and be used at most 25% of journeys is nigh on impossible.
    Can you put a price on safe driving?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    My wife has prescription Maui Jim sunglasses. Even the optometrist said the price was BS, compared to Zeiss.

Luckily we have insurance to pay for a good whack of it, and she gets a decent sum of money every two years at work. And the shop gave 20% off when we bought two pairs (sunglasses and normal), and they even gave me 20% off on my non-prescription Maui Jim sunglasses.

I have Zeiss from years ago, and genuine B&L Ray Bans from 30 years ago - the Maui are better.

Rob.

I've had several brands but I have now settled on Randolph Engineering. Have my current pair for about 4 years.

I find the glass quality is exceptonal and the joints/hinges are very robust.

I have MJ prescription and whilst expensive, I think they are worth it. I have a plastic frame pair and can comfortably wear them all day.

I have noticed people wearing sunglasses on cloudy days and did not understand the logic. But wearing them do make a difference.

With man maths, that's at least 50% of journeys. And then with holidays, nearly 90%!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I bought my Persol Steve McQueen and Tom Ford Snowdens from Pretavoir.

They have regular special offers / free gifts, and are completely genuine and reliable.

https://www.pretavoir.co.uk/
    I got my TF Anders form them a full £50 cheaper than Selfridges so recommended by me too.

Master
    Serengeti have been my favourite for a few years now with randolphs on my list to try if I ever lose or break these

Got a couple of pairs of Clubmasters, vintage pair in blond tortoiseshell in foreground and new pair matte tortoise. Thanks to all, have a few ideas now for other brands

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crispin; 2nd October 2020 at 10:38.

Master
    Just bought a pair of Pukclar for driving from Amazon.
    Polarised stylish and unbeatable value !!
    maseman

Master
    I've got some marked 'Oakley Minute'. I never wear them and they've got the little drawstring bag. Just wondered if they're worth anything as I may as well sell them. I've had them for over 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Got a couple of pairs of Clubmasters, vintage pair in blond tortoiseshell in foreground and new pair matte tortoise. Thanks to all, have a few ideas now for other brands

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Literally got the same - absolutely love them

S

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I got my TF Anders form them a full £50 cheaper than Selfridges so recommended by me too.
    Nice, good tip

Got to admit I seem to go through sunglasses at a rate of a pair every decade or so - don’t tend to lose them and living in the UK don’t tend to wear them often. I have a pair of quite new folding Rayban Wayfarers and my wife has a pair of 20 year old Aviators and I can’t see much of any difference in quality tbh. I chose the folding Wayfarers as they fit my face far better than the standard ones, being less angled to the face to allow them to fold. Seem nicely engineered too