closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Record Stores Day

Journeyman

Record Stores Day

Morning all..
    any body queue up and get what they wanted..

Cheers
    Ernie in Plymouth

I never really give it a thought as a massive music collector, the whole ethos of it is shit. A flippers heaven and I reckon eBay make more from it than the record shops. However, I could be tempted by the Changesnowbowie release, just a shame it had to be tled into RSD.

Master
    The ludicrous truth is that records pressed in the 1970s nearly always sound better than the modern 180g pressings. I have around 700 LPs, 99% of which are in pristine condition and the few modern ones that I have bought sound dull in comparison.

Records from the 1980 are the worse quality wise, very often warped the day they were made.

The days of buying new records are over until the quality improves.

As a generalisim I half agree with you Mick but like anything, you need to do a bit of research to hunt out the best masterings. It's not as simple as old = good, new = bad. Nothing in life ever is.

Treated myself to The Doors LP today, afraid I don't really have a local independent store local to buy from so purchased from online...

I didn't queue up, got fed up up with that a few years ago.
    RSD has become a bit of a commercial opportunity rather than the opportunity to support your local record store (which were dying on their feet when the initiative started)

My local independent put everything they had left online at 6.00 in the evening.

I got 2 out of the 3 I wanted, and there is no guarantee that I would have got the other one even if I had queued.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    RSD is just an excuse to churn out loads of ‘special editions’ at ridiculous prices. If there is something you particularly want then it’s surprising how often you can find it a couple of months or so later & at a better price.
    There is no way you will find me queuing for ages to join the scrum in a record shop on RSD.

This year, in a break with tradition,places like Banquet & Resident made this first drop of titles available online from 6pm yesterday. Out of interest I took a squizz ...or I would’ve if the websites were working! Obviously loads of people trying to log on and get their EBay resales.

Mick - I agree regards 1980s era vinyl....it’s generally pretty poor, however it is not fair to say all modern vinyl is rubbish. I’ve plenty that sound just fine to me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    As a generalisim I half agree with you Mick but like anything, you need to do a bit of research to hunt out the best masterings. It's not as simple as old = good, new = bad. Nothing in life ever is.
    Yes I did rush in a bit and what I should have said is that 180g tends to produce more surface noise to the point I would rather buy 1970s than any other era. My taste is Trad Jazz and sixties stuff, so I am lucky, everything I want can be bought pre used.

Journeyman
    Morning all..
    thanks for the input, I got want I wanted. I would try and get the original if its 70's or 80's, usually I will get the Japanese version as they are renown for the quality in sound and packaging. The comment re 180g and 70's wax..to be honest i love music, and either my set up is not good or my heaering is as not as good, after saying that i rarely listen with headphones.

On the other side, it is business and no doubt all of us rely on someone purchasing or paying for our services. In current times how many of us will have our current job in 12 months time. Once furlough system is wrapped up, there will be redundancies on an epic scale { please I hope I am wrong}

thanks again
    Ernie in Plymouth
    Last edited by ernie; 31st August 2020 at 10:45.