closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Perlon straps and scratched caseback.

Master

Perlon straps and scratched caseback.

I'm thinking of getting a perlon (Eulit) again. I think my Omega Dynamic would wear well on a perlon

I wore a perlon before, with a G10 and liked the look and found it comfortable. I only used the strap for a week, before I sold the G10. My question is can a perlon scratch the caseback over time. I didn't even know this was a concern until I read this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/perl...chintzy.79197/ (scroll down about 3/4 of the way).

Is this a real concern or is the example above just a one of occurrence, maybe due the that specific strap.

That looks similar to 'NATO Rash'. It's the first time that I've heard of it happening with Perlon. I leave a sticker or piece of clear tape on the back of any watch with a pull-through strap.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

My 2ps worth

Any material that can retain matter such as dirt/grit/fine particles etc and that is in constant contact with the case back is likely to act as an abrasive and mark the surface over a period of time.

I find that weekly strap washing reduces this significantly especially in the summer.

I used to put self adhesive case back stickers on to prevent all damage but don't really bother any more as its not that big a problem.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks both. That makes sense to me.

I currently have tape at the back of my Expedition... just in case the bracelet scratches it. And I always tape the backs of watches when I use Natos.
    Every watch a story.

I wear most of my watches on Nato straps, nylon and canvas. As a precaution I've put a strip of helicopter tape across their casebacks to prevent "strap burn". It's virtually invisible and can be removed to be reapplied for whatever reason as it's non adhesive. I first used it on my good road bike to protect the tubes, forks and cranks from cable rub, stones flung up on to the down tube etc etc etc. It's still in place 6 years later. I buy it from Paragon Tapes. I think I've got enough offcuts still for a few watches, PM me your details and I'll send you some.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I wear most of my watches on Nato straps, nylon and canvas. As a precaution I've put a strip of helicopter tape across their casebacks to prevent "strap burn". It's virtually invisible and can be removed to be reapplied for whatever reason as it's non adhesive. I first used it on my good road bike to protect the tubes, forks and cranks from cable rub, stones flung up on to the down tube etc etc etc. It's still in place 6 years later. I buy it from Paragon Tapes. I think I've got enough offcuts still for a few watches, PM me your details and I'll send you some.
    I covered my Yeti 575 with helicopter tape. During a house move , a 2m step ladder fell on the top tube of the Yeti. The helicopter tape protected it such that there is a 5mm cut in the tape from the edge of the ladder, the frame was. unmarked

I also use helicopter tape on my watch clasps , it prevents “ desk diving” marks and is virtually invisible. Great product 99% of folk have never heard of.

Master
    PM me your details and I'll send you some.
    Hi Magirus, that is very kind of you. PM sent.

Helicopter tape. Something I've never heard of, in fact I wouldn't even know the question to ask so I could find out about it. I do love this forum at times.
    Last edited by gerrudd; 26th August 2020 at 21:17.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great tip,I’ve just ordered some.

I suspect that I may be being a bit dim here but when I google Helicopter Tape I only get products that are self adhesive

Bob - can I just check, are you saying that the tape you have isnt adhesive but stays in place a bit like those clingy car window badges that fit inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I suspect that I may be being a bit dim here but when I google Helicopter Tape I only get products that are self adhesive

Bob - can I just check, are you saying that the tape you have isnt adhesive but stays in place a bit like those clingy car window badges that fit inside?
    Sort of Ian, when you peel the back off it feels slightly tacky but doesn't adhere permanently. It can be removed and refitted if not aligned correctly, which I had to do when I did the underside of the downtube of my roadbike. When I started using a Garmin GPS unit on my bikes I took the fork sensors off from the old computer and the helitape I'd fitted to protect the paintwork came off leaving no residue or marking after 4 years on the bike. I also made a protector for the back of my iPhone 7+ that is under it's Spigen case to stop the micro scratches that dust can cause, this stuff is very useful.
    Last edited by magirus; 27th August 2020 at 07:15.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    I like the look of Perlon straps and have a fair few of them but I don't tend to wear them on a watch for too long. Going by the link OP sent it looks as though one of the users there wore a perlon on a watch for a long period of time without washing. 100% wouldn't fit one to a gold watch though as there is a real risk there.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum;[URL="[URL
    tel:5515445[/URL]"]5515445[/URL]]Sorry Bob - misunderstood. So do you use the glossy or matt as a matter of interest?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    I bought the glossy Ian, as in the link below. Obviously I bought that length and width as I was doing a bike, but smaller packs are available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-x-100m...cAAOSwUCZavAWb
    F.T.F.A.