closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steeldive Watches - UK based outlet launched

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I bought the Halios Puck version as a tester before I commit to looking for the real & I have to say it's actually pretty well made.
    Quite solid & running just fine at around +7 seconds a day. What I don't like is they say it has a Sapphire crystal but I can tell you for certain it's not.
    If I decide to keep it I will probably buy a Domed Sapphire crystal for it.

Either way it's cheap and cheerful so I'm happy with it.
    How did you test the crystal?

I did the water drop test on Steeldive crystal and it showed up as sapphire.

Mitch

Master
    Blog Entries

Handy Glass Tester>>

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post

How does that work Bry?

Just tests the relative hardness between sapphire and mineral I guess?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Maybe it's sapphire coated but that's about it in my opinion.
    For starts it's just a dull looking crystal & I have to wipe it 4 or 5 times a day to keep it clear (no I don't do anything messy or mucky to get it this way)
    Like most of you I have quite a collection & have owned probably over 50 watches over a long time & other than acrylic crystals (sometimes) I have never cleaned a crystal so much.
    So in my opinion they are not Sapphire. Who know's maybe I got one that wasn't fitted with one if they ran short on a batch but like I said I'm happy with it for the money & if I decide to keep it I will fit a Domed Sapphire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    How did you test the crystal?

I did the water drop test on Steeldive crystal and it showed up as sapphire.

Mitch
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by sickie; 4th August 2020 at 14:57.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Measures the crystal-gemstones heat conduction rate.

For starts it's just a dull looking crystal & I have to wipe it 4 or 5 times a day to keep it clear (no I don't do anything messy or mucky to get it this way)
    Like most of you I have quite a collection & have owned probably over 50 watches over a long time & other than acrylic crystals (sometimes) I have never cleaned a crystal so much.
    So in my opinion they are not Sapphire. Who know's maybe I got one that wasn't fitted with one if they ran short on a batch but like I said I'm happy with it for the money & if I decide to keep it I will fit a Domed Sapphire.

I have a Tissot with a flat sapphire and I regularly have to wipe it so I’m not sure if this is a great way of differentiating. Of course I could be wrong.

Maybe someone could test the hardness to confirm either way?

Their are so many fake Tissot watches out there I would of either taken it back & exchanged it if you bought it from an official dealer. But if it was eBay or some such place it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't real.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I have a Tissot with a flat sapphire and I regularly have to wipe it so I’m not sure if this is a great way of differentiating. Of course I could be wrong.

Maybe someone could test the hardness to confirm either way?

Steeldive Watches - UK based outlet launched

Their are so many fake Tissot watches out there I would of either taken it back & exchanged it if you bought it from an official dealer. But if it was eBay or some such place it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't real.

It’s 100% genuine. Bought from a local AD who ordered it directly. Sapphire crystals are not immune to finger prints/smudges. Black dials and flat sapphires will just show them up more than domed and light coloured dials.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 4th August 2020 at 20:47.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fyi a hardened steel screw or razor blade will scratch mineral glass but not sapphire-corundum with no ar exterior coating.

Tested. And I hold my hands up I couldn't scratch it with a razor blade so maybe it is sapphire after all.
    I pressed as hard as I could & scraped all over & nothing. Not even a hair line mark.

Gonna try with a hard screw tomorrow

Still going to replace it tho. But yes assuming it beats the screw I will 100% eat humble pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    Fyi a hardened steel screw or razor blade will scratch mineral glass but not sapphire-corundum with no ar exterior coating.

I recall buying a Phoibos watch and that had a sapphire crystal but exactly as you said it was very dull and the same had to keep wiping it, I returned the watch but often wondered why it was so dull and murky when looking at the watch dial. Maybe you have answered my question, thanks

I did the fingernail 'ping' test and compared it to a mineral crystal and a known sapphire crystal, it still came out as sapphire. Mind you, younger ears might have been better!

Mitch

I suspect the difference you've seen is more down to AR coatings on different brands than Sapphire or not.

My Breitling looks as though it has no crystal at all, but other watches (Sinns, for example) are more prone to marking. I didn't buy those from eBay, before you ask...

I'm not sure, either, how you're going to guarantee your Domed Sapphire will be any more authentic...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?