closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrong Sinn watch returned from a service.....

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    It seems like the OP has lost interest in his own thread. Last posted about this on 2nd July.
    Ah yes, thank you for pointing that out, I didn't notice. Maybe the place the OP used sorted him out? Hopefully.

Craftsman
    Not lost interest, just very busy.... And due to a wife throwing all my spare cash at the bloody house, I’m trying to spend less time here getting tempted by the new shiny!

Anyway..... I played the waiting game with the AD, there was a reticence to get me Sinn paperwork.... As someone else said, the contract is between me and them. They said it would be back in 4 weeks....

I decided to let it play out for a few weeks, and make a fuss if it went over week 4.

Well, I’m pleased to say that I had a call today and a photo of my watch which has arrived all safe and repaired at the AD!

No extra costs have been passed onto me, and the AD is shipping the watch foc to me today.

I’m hoping this is where the saga ends for me! But the AD said another repaired watch arrived with mine, which was not theirs... So maybe Sinn are having an administration mare....

I will update when the watch finally lands home.

Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    Not lost interest, just very busy.... And due to a wife throwing all my spare cash at the bloody house, I’m trying to spend less time here getting tempted by the new shiny!

Anyway..... I played the waiting game with the AD, there was a reticence to get me Sinn paperwork.... As someone else said, the contract is between me and them. They said it would be back in 4 weeks....

I decided to let it play out for a few weeks, and make a fuss if it went over week 4.

Well, I’m pleased to say that I had a call today and a photo of my watch which has arrived all safe and repaired at the AD!

No extra costs have been passed onto me, and the AD is shipping the watch foc to me today.

I’m hoping this is where the saga ends for me! But the AD said another repaired watch arrived with mine, which was not theirs... So maybe Sinn are having an administration mare....

I will update when the watch finally lands home.
    Genuinely happy this worked out for you mate. I was sure when reading through the thread you’d lose your watch forever...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I was sure when reading through the thread you’d lose your watch forever...
    I did have that thought a few times myself. At least lockdown kept me busy enough to not think about it!

Craftsman
    So, it seems the saga hasn’t ended.....

The watch has had the crystal and button replaced, but it doesn’t look like it’s been serviced, the old glass was returned, but there are no bits in the bag you would expect from the service.

There is also no paperwork at all.....

In which case does anyone apart from me think that £500 is a little steep for a crystal and button....

But I am very happy to have the actual watch back!

...does anyone apart from me think that £500 is a little steep for a crystal and button....
    Just bruised my chin! £500?!

If nothing else you've convinced me to use a good independent!

Ironic really - a friend in the watch repair business warned me off Damasko for shenanigans like this - "you'll be fine with Sinn"...

No paperwork and £500? I would be complaining and, like you are, doubting what has or hasn't been done.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner1972 View Post
    If I understand rightly? You used an Authorised retailer to send it to Sinn? Then They are your agent and have ostensible authority from yourself to deal with the watch on your behalf with Sinn. You would not have privity of contract with Sinn, if then you made an agreement with the agent to send the watch to Sinn, i.e. and you paid the authorised dealer not Sinn. So assuming your contractual relationship is with the Authorised Agent, ie your privity is with them and you do not have privity of contract with Sinn? In that case you do not have any recourse with Sinn in contract, that would be with your agent. In terms of recourse against Sinn, then you could take action in Negligence as there needs be no Privity, but that would be ill advised, as your damages will be to recover economic loss, which is a contractual remedy really, rather than one awarded in Tort which would favour some physical pain to yourself or suffering. So assuming that your only recourse is via breach of contract, then there does indeed need to be a contract. Which there is with the Authorised Retailer. You would be best advised to ask them what as gone wrong and to sort it out on your behalf. They should be able to show they took care to ensure your watch was recorded and sent with its make, model, serial number recorded. So they could ensure they received the same watch back. That is their responsibility. If they have not done this, then they are in fact negligent, and they can not exclude liability in negligence under their contract with you. Any attempt to do so would be automatically void. Ask them nicely to show you the steps they took to record the watch they were, sending to Sinn. And good luck.

"so I found an authorised dealer to send through to Sinn"
    I suspect that your comments regarding privity of contract may well be incorrect, given the relationship between the OP and the AD (i.e. principle and agent).

The watch has had the crystal and button replaced, but it doesn’t look like it’s been serviced, the old glass was returned, but there are no bits in the bag you would expect from the service.

There is also no paperwork at all.....
    The bits in the bag is a bit of a daft rolex thing to do, I don't think this is indicative that no service has taken place. What you need is access to a timegrapher to have an idea of the performance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I suspect that your comments regarding privity of contract may well be incorrect, given the relationship between the OP and the AD (i.e. principle and agent).
    Agreed. If the AD was your agent then they would have brought a contract into existence between principal (you) and the third party (Sinn), on your behalf.

Otherwise, if the AD was not an agent, then they are the contracting party and have subcontracted to Sinn. I don’t think so here.

What the scope of authority of the AD was is another, more detailed, matter.

Master
    I contemplated a service by Sinn and their email responses were both quick and clear. I eventually chose Simon Freese due to his reputation and my concern with the thread involving Sinn replacing old parts with similar modern equivalents rather than a sympathetic restoration.

I've heard of some bad experiences with Damasko but have only seen very good service from them.

Never had a issue with a sinn service, did you get a sinn service receipt and travel pouch? Sure they sent it to Sinn?

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I got a Sinn travel pouch. But no receipts or anything.

I suggested earlier in the thread that you just contact Sin yourself. Have you not done so?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I suggested earlier in the thread that you just contact Sin yourself. Have you not done so?
    I was keeping high trust levels... trying not to rile a situation ... till now.... Will contact them tomorrow if I don’t get a decent answer from the AD.

I was keeping high trust levels... trying not to rile a situation ... till now.... Will contact them tomorrow if I don’t get a decent answer from the AD.
    Would contact them either way

You did mention in one of your earlier posts that you received an invoice with the first shipment (with the wrong watch)?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You did mention in one of your earlier posts that you received an invoice with the first shipment (with the wrong watch)?
    It was the AD invoice, not a Sinn one.

It was the AD invoice, not a Sinn one.
    Ah, suppose it should be taken up with Sinn then.

Craftsman
    Maaaannn, More saga!

So, it turns out the watch didn’t even go to Sinn, it went to TWR, (who are an authorised Sinn repairer) in the UK. I could’ve bloody well organised that myself!

Finally getting some paperwork and finding out what work they did, It turns out the service was not done... As suspected. The button and glass work was only £200 of the work I actually paid for.

A few backwards and forwards between AD and TWR, and it’s been agreed for the watch to go back for the service, at first they wanted more money.... Can you imagine what my response to that was!

However, they are quoting 4-5 weeks again... Which makes me pretty cross based on this not being my fault, and no one seems to be trying to do anything but the bare minimum, when I feel like I’ve been properly f#@ked around!

My sense is to request a refund of whatever Sinn themselves want to service the watch and I send it to them myself.... but I am in that situation where someone else already has my money, and making a fuss could land me in a worse situation...

Master
    Maaaannn, More saga!

So, it turns out the watch didn’t even go to Sinn, it went to TWR, (who are an authorised Sinn repairer) in the UK. I could’ve bloody well organised that myself!

Finally getting some paperwork and finding out what work they did, It turns out the service was not done... As suspected. The button and glass work was only £200 of the work I actually paid for.

A few backwards and forwards between AD and TWR, and it’s been agreed for the watch to go back for the service, at first they wanted more money.... Can you imagine what my response to that was!

However, they are quoting 4-5 weeks again... Which makes me pretty cross based on this not being my fault, and no one seems to be trying to do anything but the bare minimum, when I feel like I’ve been properly f#@ked around!

My sense is to request a refund of whatever Sinn themselves want to service the watch and I send it to them myself.... but I am in that situation where someone else already has my money, and making a fuss could land me in a worse situation...
    Absolutely scandalous. Get your money back and send it direct to Sinn. Cut out the useless AD.

My dealings with TWR have been absolutely first class, so I’d be tempted to lay the blame at the dealer. TWR are very approachable, so might be worth speaking to them directly.

Breathtaking incompetence from the AD! I've lost track now - have they been named & shamed? Please do OP, as I'd like to redlist 'em so I don't get caught similarly!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Breathtaking incompetence from the AD! I've lost track now - have they been named & shamed? Please do OP, as I'd like to redlist 'em so I don't get caught similarly!
    I haven’t named them yet, I will sort out my money before I do

I would be requesting a refund and sending the watch to Sinn directly. Not on at all.

I haven’t named them yet, I will sort out my money before I do
    Fair enough

OP I really feel your pain! Hope you get this sorted, what a saga.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Being a Sinn owner myself I’ve followed this from the start.What an absolute car crash,I feel for you ,poor service is an under statement.

Sinn has always been efficient and decent value whenever I have dealt directly with them - also friendly and helpful. I last bought a bracelet and rubber strap for my UX which even with Sinns high postage cost was still much less than sellers on Ebay with used items. My advice is go direct - with the UX I have no choice in any case.
    Keith

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Honestly at this point id be asking for a refund and speaking to sinn directly.

Craftsman
    I always prefer a face to face dealing. Very disappointed to have them go worse than a web only conversation with a different country!

Master
    My money was always on AD error (and that's not being wise after the event, I said so over a month ago in #32), but that's still shocking. Money back (with reference to this thread and / or small claims court if not), and deal with Sinn direct, as others have said.

Blog Entries
    Good lord - what a complete shower of incompetence. OP, if I were you I'd take the advice above and get a refund, then send the watch to Sinn directly.

And name/shame the AD, obviously, because they deserve it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Good lord - what a complete shower of incompetence. OP, if I were you I'd take the advice above and get a refund, then send the watch to Sinn directly.

And name/shame the AD, obviously, because they deserve it.
    I have to agree, it's P&C levels of incompetence (at best if they were alleging this went to Sinn in Frankfurt before coughing to TWR).

I've used both Sinn direct and TWR and both have been superb every time, great communication and service.

Craftsman
    I’ve decided to be a bit British about this, I hear many good things about TWR. I’m going to let it go there for the service, mainly as I’ve already paid for it!

But I am going to contact them directly too, and make sure they know the whole situation. I will contact Sinn too, I do think they should know what goes on in their name.

Master
    It's too bad about the bad experience but I can assure you if I had a bad experience with a watchmaker it would never go back not even for a second attempt to make it right. i would get as much money back from the AD and send it off to Sinn.

I have heard of good dealings by others of Sinn factory service so that's where I would send it. Over here we have to send to RGM watches for Sinn service. I sent my 103 to RGM for a repair and I swear it came back better than when I originally got it new.

Brave man going back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Honestly at this point id be asking for a refund and speaking to sinn directly.
    Me too and either send the watch to Sinn direct or to a proper and well-respected UK watchmaker like Olli (O.N.Atelier), Rich Askham, Duncan (Thewatchbloke or Genesis!) or the like.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Me too and either send the watch to Sinn direct or to a proper and well-respected UK watchmaker like Olli (O.N.Atelier), Rich Askham, Duncan (Thewatchbloke or Genesis!) or the like.
    You forgot one, but then he is probably too busy anyway....
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    I really do hear you all, and I don’t really want to go back again, but I’ve used the customer service page on the Sinn site to ask what price a service is, and I have left a message on the phone number, and again heard nothing back for days!

So currently I can’t even ask for a refund to cover a service as I don’t know what the actual price of it is.

I’m frankly fed up of the whole situation, want my watch serviced and back in my care, and really don’t feel like being out of pocket to boot.

Craftsman
    Scratch that! Sinn got back to me this morning, and the costs are a little surprising, as the service, which costs more than TWR, includes having the pushers and crown replaced.... which is the work I paid for separately!

It’s definitely fighting time for a refund to cover the full cost of the Sinn service.......

What an arse-ache! Good luck getting this sorted.