closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: using Apple Airpod Pro for Teams meetings

using Apple Airpod Pro for Teams meetings

Hi all,

Thinking of picking up a set of Apple Airpods Pro as a gift for someone who spends several hours a day in work meetings.

However, there appears to be reported issues with using them for audio/video calls on Teams, on a Windows 10 machine...

...implying you can only use them to either listen to audio, or speak. But not both together!?!

This makes the prospect of having a meeting quite difficult .

Can any of our resident TZers confirm such behaviour? Or, hopefully, instead confirm connectivity is not of concern.

(FYI - it is expected she will connect the Airpods Pro directly to the laptop Bluetooth module, and not to a separate USB dongle or adapter).

EDIT: adding some reference points:
    1) https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com...rt-for-airpods
    2) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...compatability/
    3) https://www.reddit.com/r/airpods/com...icrophones_on/
    Last edited by cman; 16th July 2020 at 20:04.

Master
    Not specifically AirPods but with my nose I have to have them selected as hands free vs headset from memory.

You can choose your speech input device and output individually. I have me web cam mic as I put and my speaker bar as output as I’m home alone so don’t need to be quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an aside, aren’t the pro AirPods noise cancelling? Personally I hate any headphones that fit ‘in’ my ear - and the noise cancelling is kind of null and void if used for a teams meeting - I have ‘normal’ air pods and they are very good, not used them for work teams meetings though - we aren’t permitted to use Bluetooth with work devices

Thanks both.
    Back to the question in hand:

Is anyone successfully using Airpods Pro, on Windows 10, with Teams, to successfully participate in a 2 way meeting? (i.e. listen and speak)

I have used Sony WF1000XM3 earphones with Windows 10 and Teams and have had no issues. I can listen and speak.

Within Teams app settings, you can check the microphone and speakers settings are set to the Air Pods.

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Hi all,

Thinking of picking up a set of Apple Airpods Pro as a gift for someone who spends a lot of time on meetings, daily.

However, there appears to be widely reported issues with using them for audio/video calls on Teams... implying you can only use them to either listen to audio, or speak.

But not both together!?! This makes the prospect of having a meeting quite difficult .

Can any of our resident TZers confirm such behaviour? Or, hopefully, instead confirm connectivity is not of concern?

(FYI - it is expected she will connect the Airpods Pro directly to the laptop Bluetooth module, and not to a separate USB dongle or adapter).
    Given these requirements and if the person is truly always in meetings, I don't see the purpose of the Air Pods.

They're wireless and need to charge and to do so you cannot be using them.

The needs of the person you're buying from sound better suited to a proper microphoned on/over ear headset, either with larger batteries than the APPros and/or with a cable that can be used to charge whilst the headphones are in use, or a purely wired device thus not ever needing charging.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    the noise cancelling is kind of null and void if used for a teams meeting -
    Not sure why that would be the case - it comes in really handy when you are working in an environment with noisy background and trying to concentrate on the conversation.

/edit: I have just made a Teams test call using the Airpods Pro - no issues. One needs to select the hands free (rather than stereo) option, but that seems to be the same for any bluetooth headset (at least it was fro my Bose QC).
    Last edited by Ares; 16th July 2020 at 16:03.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I have used Sony WF1000XM3 earphones with Windows 10 and Teams and have had no issues. I can listen and speak.

Within Teams app settings, you can check the microphone and speakers settings are set to the Air Pods.
    Thanks, though am really only interested in hearing feedback for Apple Air Pods/Pro (not Sony, not Plantronics, not Jabra, etc.), due to hundreds/thousands (?) of people claiming they do not work with Teams on Windows:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com...rt-for-airpods

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...65de713?page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    /edit: I have just made a Teams test call using the Airpods Pro - no issues. One needs to select the hands free (rather than stereo) option, but that seems to be the same for any bluetooth headset (at least it was fro my Bose QC).
    Thank you for addressing the actual question - appreciated!

Can you kindly confirm you are:

- using a Windows 10 machine?
    - connecting the Airpods Pro to the laptop Bluetooth module (i.e. via Windows Bluetooth device manager, and not a 3rd party dongle or USB adapter)
    - can speak and listen during a meeting, not just one or the other
    - where are you selecting 'hands free'? in Windows or in Teams or...?
    - what have you set in 'speaker' and 'microphone' settings in the below (borrowed from Google search) image?

Whilst they appear to be fundamental questions, the following link (as well as the 2 posted above) suggests it is not possible! Which seems bizarre.

https://www.reddit.com/r/airpods/com...icrophones_on/

EDIT:

@Ares you mention "One needs to select the hands free (rather than stereo)" apparently that reduces sound quality from CD quality stereo sound (44-48KHz) to mono audio at 8Khz (HFP 1.5) or 16Khz (HFP 1.6/1.7). Is that not an issue?
    Last edited by cman; 16th July 2020 at 16:39.

If they spending several hours a day in meetings - I'd actually buy some proper headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    If they spending several hours a day in meetings - I'd actually buy some proper headphones.
    Thanks, sage advice.

AirPods were on the wanted list, primarily for music on the move, and ability to take phone calls wirelessly too.
    With the advent of WFH, I was hoping the gift would double up as serving well for work needs, too.

Putting aside that preferences of when to use them or what to use instead....

I'm really just interested to learn in they work for those who have the same use case : Windows 10 native connection + Teams for voice & audio.

Master
    The wife uses some for her meetings on teams with a windows laptop and I’ve not heard her complaining ( I would have definitely heard about it) but I don’t know what version of windows her company laptop is, I can check tomorrow if you’re still stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    The wife uses some for her meetings on teams with a windows laptop and I’ve not heard her complaining ( I would have definitely heard about it) but I don’t know what version of windows her company laptop is, I can check tomorrow if you’re still stuck.
    That'll be fantastic, thank you for the offer! I'll no doubt still be stuck because I'm currently 'stuck' hovering over the purchase button....

To help keep your effort minimal, I think the 'check' with your wife's kit is this:

• she is using a Windows 10 laptop
    • she is using Teams on the Win10 laptop for audio and video calls (not Teams on iPhone or iPad)
    • she is connecting the AirPods directly to the laptop (i.e. via Windows Bluetooth device settings) and NOT to a Jabra dongle/USB adapter/equivalent
    • she can speak and listen without issues (ground breaking stuff!)
    • she can control volume (some who do have it working, report its only with 100% volume, i.e. useless )

Many thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    If In your own study and not interfering with others use a Jabra handsfree speaker/ mic puck…. Either that or a proper handsfree headphone - plantronics/ jabra are the expert in these fields…

I can spend 4 or 5 hours a day on these types of calls currently and I am very grateful to have the right equipment

In ear headphones would be ridiculously uncomfortable after a while…

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    If In your own study and not interfering with others use a Jabra handsfree speaker/ mic puck…. Either that or a proper handsfree headphone - plantronics/ jabra are the expert in these fields…

I can spend 4 or 5 hours a day on these types of calls currently and I am very grateful to have the right equipment

In ear headphones would be ridiculously uncomfortable after a while…
    Also physical mute buttons with lights that tell you that you are muted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Also physical mute buttons with lights that tell you that you are muted.
    Oh yes - glows bright and red…! How could you miss it???

My wife came in screaming last week as she just got her first job after competing her teacher training and becoming a NQT at a lovely primary school…. Was ok as I had smashed the mute button - OFF!!! Had to explain to a load of bemused American colleagues what all the commotion was about!

Works a charm when you’re not completely distracted!

Blog Entries
    Sorry OP - probably gone off on a tangent…. I’m sure the Airpods will do fine…

But, if you were interested in what I was talking about here is the link…. I genuinely would be lost without it…. After my PC it’s my most important bit of IT equipment…

Jabra Speak 510 MS mobile conferencing solution for up to 4 people with USB and Bluetooth, plug and play with PC softphones / VoIP / tablets / smartphones, for Skype for Business https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X15ND..._FWmeFbNZ3WSVK

Sorry OP - probably gone off on a tangent…. I’m sure the Airpods will do fine…

But, if you were interested in what I was talking about here is the link…. I genuinely would be lost without it…. After my PC it’s my most important bit of IT equipment…

Jabra Speak 510 MS mobile conferencing solution for up to 4 people with USB and Bluetooth, plug and play with PC softphones / VoIP / tablets / smartphones, for Skype for Business https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X15ND..._FWmeFbNZ3WSVK
    Yes, a very big tangent, but that started from the first reply, so a little expected!

Believe it or not she already has a Jabra 510, supplied by her firm, and she uses it daily. However, she will not always be working from home and have an otherwise silent room. Yes, her firm have also supplied over the ear cans to use in the office but....

The point of the thread, and question within, was to check if the use case specified (Airpods Pro on Windows 10 with Teams) will also work, given there are very mixed reports.
    Last edited by cman; 17th July 2020 at 09:40.

Craftsman
    If you buy from Amazon or John Lewis the return policy should allow her to test them herself and return easily enough if you find there are issues.

I don't use airpods but have several Bluetooth ear and headphones (Bang and Olufsen E8, Jabra sport elite and Jabra 65t) all act differently and I wouldn't recommend one as a perfect solution for teams.

Craftsman

The point of the thread, and question within, was to check if the use case specified (Airpods Pro on Windows 10 with Teams) will also work, given there are very mixed reports.

Just to confirm after this morning's meetings: they do work, however they are not the best thing for the job - can't mute or adjust the volume easily, and battery life will get in the way. As others have suggested - for the intended purpose there are better options.

Blog Entries
    Yes, a very big tangent, but that started from the first reply, so a little expected!
    Ha! This never happens normally…!!!!

Please recommend me a knife - topic moves on - well, you should actually get a gun…. Here’s the gun I have blah blah blah

The curse of people desperate to share their own opinions at the expense of reading and answering the actual question!

Ha! This never happens normally…!!!!

Please recommend me a knife - topic moves on - well, you should actually get a gun…. Here’s the gun I have blah blah blah

The curse of people desperate to share their own opinions at the expense of reading and answering the actual question!
    No worries. It's part and parcel of forums / freedom of speech / etc. and sometimes of course sparks a a more relevant and/or focused discussion.
    On this occasion, however, I tried (but evidently failed?) to ensure the ask was specific to begin with...

Just to confirm after this morning's meetings: they do work, however they are not the best thing for the job - can't mute or adjust the volume easily, and battery life will get in the way. As others have suggested - for the intended purpose there are better options.
    Thank you for confirming it works, Ares (for avoidance of doubt I will assume you tried with Teams on Windows 10, connected via BT to the laptop directly).

Can’t comment on the Teams/Win10 compatibility questions, but I have been using AirPods Pro with my phone for most meetings whilst working from home, in case useful I’d say:

1) battery life shouldn’t be a problem if she’s able to go with only one earbud in every now and then (sometimes I prefer this anyway), they charge rapidly so popping them in the case for a few mins is plenty to get you through a call

2) i don’t use the full noise cancelling for calls as find it weird to not be able to hear myself properly and worry I’m shouting! The alternative mode is very good though

3) I find them comfy enough to wear a lot, the range of tip sizes they come with helps that too

4) not having any volume or mute functions on them is a bit annoying, but Teams is at least easy enough to mute/unmute quickly with the mouse (the platform I have to use most of the time is nowhere near as friendly!)

Master
    That'll be fantastic, thank you for the offer! I'll no doubt still be stuck because I'm currently 'stuck' hovering over the purchase button....

To help keep your effort minimal, I think the 'check' with your wife's kit is this:

• she is using a Windows 10 laptop
    • she is using Teams on the Win10 laptop for audio and video calls (not Teams on iPhone or iPad)
    • she is connecting the AirPods directly to the laptop (i.e. via Windows Bluetooth device settings) and NOT to a Jabra dongle/USB adapter/equivalent
    • she can speak and listen without issues (ground breaking stuff!)
    • she can control volume (some who do have it working, report its only with 100% volume, i.e. useless )

Many thanks in advance!
    Yes windows 10
    Yes teams on laptop most of the time but occasionally iPad etc depending on the call
    Yes direct to laptop
    Yes speak and listen ( I can vouch for the speak bit she never shuts up, listening ? I have doubts Lol )
    Volume apparently works fine also although she’s not sure she’s ever changed it

She started using them because whatever work supplied was really crackling during a call, she also doesn’t like over ear ones for whatever reason and likes being able to use just one pod so she can listen out for the kids etc at the same time.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Yes windows 10
    Yes teams on laptop most of the time but occasionally iPad etc depending on the call
    Yes direct to laptop
    Yes speak and listen ( I can vouch for the speak bit she never shuts up, listening ? I have doubts Lol )
    Volume apparently works fine also although she’s not sure she’s ever changed it

She started using them because whatever work supplied was really crackling during a call, she also doesn’t like over ear ones for whatever reason and likes being able to use just one pod so she can listen out for the kids etc at the same time.

Hope that helps
    Super. That's perfect, bootneck.

Thank's very much for your help! I can buy with confidence. Much appreciated (given my very particular list of questions!).

EDIT:

Just been searching around on Google, and saw this thread on PistonHeads (https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=95&t=1870569) which contains a comment from yesterday "They definitely don’t work for teams yet. People are going mad on the Microsoft support forum. Microsoft doing the usual and ignoring what the masses want." - how bizarre!

Hopefully that explains why my questions were so 'particular'.

Nevertheless, your feedback is good enough proof that it does indeed work.

Master
    Super. That's perfect, bootneck.

Thank's very much for your help! I can buy with confidence. Much appreciated (given my very particular list of questions!).

EDIT:

Just been searching around on Google, and saw this thread on PistonHeads (https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=95&t=1870569) which contains a comment from yesterday "They definitely don’t work for teams yet. People are going mad on the Microsoft support forum. Microsoft doing the usual and ignoring what the masses want." - how bizarre!

Hopefully that explains why my questions were so 'particular'.

Nevertheless, your feedback is good enough proof that it does indeed work.
    Weird, is there something stupid stopping them working I wonder. I can only go off her experience with them and the fact I’ve not heard any moaning lol

Master
    Ive just had a quick google and can’t believe the amount of people having issues, I’d be cautious, is my Mrs just lucky (obviously being married to me she is lol ) but until this thread and you asking I wouldn’t have given it a second thought but with so many issues around is it worth taking a chance? As someone else said use someone with a good returns policy just in case.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My wife uses my AirPods (original) with Teams on her Win 10 laptop. She can hear and be heard. She needs to disable Bluetooth on her iPad and iPhones to prevent them trying to connect to them. The BT is built into the laptop, not a dongle.

Craftsman
    I’m using them for teams calls on my windows machine. They do work, but not without their problems. The volume is definitely high (even with volume turned down on all settings), I also find that sometimes they completely mess up my sound generally for no reason and have to restart.

I have the answer you're looking for, having tried this myself.

The short answer is avoid. They won't work.

This is not just with Apple bluetooth earphones. This is for practically ANY bluetooth earphones that are totally wireless, designed for mobile (Anker, Sony, etc). Its to do with the profile that Windows uses over what the earphones are optimised for. There is only enough bandwidth from the windows side for great audio, or great mic quality. Not both simultaneously. So using them as headphones when your laptop or desktop has a different mic source? Provided you know how to set that up, great. Using them around the home office while walking around on the other side of the room? No chance.

Just to be clear this is a Windows 10 issue. This works fine on a Mac because it supports the correct bluetooth profiles needed.

Some literature here: https://www.howtogeek.com/354321/why...n-windows-pcs/

I have tried my mine and had problems, work fine for a period and then suddenly connect to one of the phones. Or lose connection completely, this was not limited to them also had the same with RHAs but Jabra headset perfect and conference 810 work all day long no issues. Tried to work why but gave up as really random, but text or phone call on Phone seamed to invoke the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post

Thanks - the explanation in your link is consistent with the detailed wording per the link in first post (here it is again)

However - regarding your statement in blue - the confusing thing is we have 2 people in the thread who confirmed, first hand, they do work.

So I've been doing some further research since I last looked at this about a year ago, and things can evolve very quickly. I won't edit my old post, happy to admit I might be wrong but I think I'd revise it and say its very unlikely to work without some additional kit (unless you have a machine manufactured extremely recently, post Jan 2020).

I've done some digging, and apparently you can now get USB Bluetooth dongles that explicitly support the aptX codec over Bluetooth 4.2 and Bluetooth 5.0 that will support full duplex, low latency audio on Airpods. I haven't found many, in fact just the one - the Jabra 370. I'm debating whether to bite the bullet or not, if I do I'll be sure to update and let you know.

Edit: Hah! Just read the post you linked and we've come to pretty much exactly the same conclusion. I guess that's comforting, must be some truth in it then.

Craftsman
    I think a lot of the confusion about whether they specifically or Bluetooth headsets generally work is what people select when they connect to a PC. If you select the stereo option than it won’t work, if you pick hands-free than it does.
    I don’t have a dongle - just in-build Bluetooth in a 4 year old laptop - and never had an issue with my Bose QCs).
    Last edited by Ares; 19th July 2020 at 12:56.

Edit: Hah! Just read the post you linked and we've come to pretty much exactly the same conclusion. I guess that's comforting, must be some truth in it then.

I think a lot of the confusion about whether they specifically or Bluetooth headsets generally work is what people select when they connect to a PC. If you select the stereo option than it won’t work, if you pick hands-free than it does.
    I don’t have a dongle - just in-build Bluetooth in a 4 year old laptop - and never had an issue with my Bose QCs).
    Yes, and if I understand well, it seems selecting 'hands-free' forces the audio to drop from quality stereo sound (44-48KHz) to lower quality sound (16KHz) to free up enough bandwidth for the mic to work in parallel. I have no idea how 'good' 16KHz is but if you and others in this thread say you've been using this method, it can't be *that* bad.

I've done some digging, and apparently you can now get USB Bluetooth dongles that explicitly support the aptX codec over Bluetooth 4.2 and Bluetooth 5.0 that will support full duplex, low latency audio on Airpods. I haven't found many, in fact just the one - the Jabra 370. I'm debating whether to bite the bullet or not, if I do I'll be sure to update and let you know.
    Neat little device. My wife's work laptop is v locked down and won't allow anything to pair via Bluetooth. A Logitech mouse works as it comes with a Bluetooth dongle - do you think this would allow her Bluetooth Jabra 75t headphones to connect?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Neat little device. My wife's work laptop is v locked down and won't allow anything to pair via Bluetooth. A Logitech mouse works as it comes with a Bluetooth dongle - do you think this would allow her Bluetooth Jabra 75t headphones to connect?
    Is it definitely explicitly a "bluetooth" mouse, or does it use Logitech's "Universal receiver" tech? One is bluetooth and the other is a proprietary logitech-exclusive radio technology.

If its bluetooth it should work. The Jabra 370 doesn't exclusively say its for audio, seems like its just targeted marketing to complement their headsets.

This is not just with Apple bluetooth earphones. This is for practically ANY bluetooth earphones that are totally wireless, designed for mobile (Anker, Sony, etc). Its to do with the profile that Windows uses over what the earphones are optimised for. There is only enough bandwidth from the windows side for great audio, or great mic quality. Not both simultaneously. So using them as headphones when your laptop or desktop has a different mic source? Provided you know how to set that up, great. Using them around the home office while walking around on the other side of the room? No chance.

Just to be clear this is a Windows 10 issue. This works fine on a Mac because it supports the correct bluetooth profiles needed.

Some literature here: https://www.howtogeek.com/354321/why...n-windows-pcs/
    This is correct IME. My RHA Trueconnects don’t work with Zoom on Windows 10. I can get audio through them no problem, but mic does not work over Bluetooth. They work fine with Macbook, iPad, iPhone with no issues. Bill Gates sucks the big one as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    This is correct IME. My RHA Trueconnects don’t work with Zoom on Windows 10. I can get audio through them no problem, but mic does not work over Bluetooth. They work fine with Macbook, iPad, iPhone with no issues. Bill Gates sucks the big one as usual...
    Have you tried the guidance discussed in the last 6 or so posts, i.e. the 3rd link in the first post? You should be able to get audio and mic to work.
    Be interested to hear how it works out for you.

If she has a Jabra 510 already, could she pair the airpods with that?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla View Post
    If she has a Jabra 510 already, could she pair the airpods with that?
    Good thinking! However I believe the 510 I believe comes in 2 variants, USB and BT. She has the former...

Good thinking! However I believe the 510 I believe comes in 2 variants, USB and BT. She has the former...
    I didn't realise. Mine is both usb and bt. I pair my work mobile with it and often plug a headset in. I've never thought about pairing bt headphones with it but I believe it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla View Post
    I didn't realise. Mine is both usb and bt. I pair my work mobile with it and often plug a headset in. I've never thought about pairing bt headphones with it but I believe it's possible.
    ..thank you - I could very well be wrong - so will check the model/type (and maybe it does indeed have BT). I know she's definitely uses it via USB as I had to buy a USB hub for it (and other peripherals) in the past.

EDIT: disappointingly, she has the 410!! No BT.

Last edited by cman; 19th July 2020 at 22:46.

Are you trying to get in with her?

Sounds like it, but save yourself the hassle and go for flowers and a bottle of Chardonnay.

Airpods? Honestly...

Craftsman
    Some odd experiences...

I use my Airpods Pro on Skype, Teams, Zoom Webex and a few other platforms we run.

Only issue for me is remembering to charge them. For longer calls 2h+ I switch to wired via
    My Shure 846.

I am running Windows 10 on Surface laptop 3.

Is it definitely explicitly a "bluetooth" mouse, or does it use Logitech's "Universal receiver" tech? One is bluetooth and the other is a proprietary logitech-exclusive radio technology.

If its bluetooth it should work. The Jabra 370 doesn't exclusively say its for audio, seems like its just targeted marketing to complement their headsets.
    Good points, not sure so will have a look. The reviews for the Jabra dongle look a bit mixed. Will check in the week but thanks for the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Some odd experiences...

I use my Airpods Pro on Skype, Teams, Zoom Webex and a few other platforms we run.

Only issue for me is remembering to charge them. For longer calls 2h+ I switch to wired via
    My Shure 846.

I am running Windows 10 on Surface laptop 3.

Looks like your Surface Laptop 3 has Bluetooth 5.0 ( that will support full duplex, low latency audio on Airpods), according to 'dice' earlier in the thread. That could explain it.

For anyone interested in AirPods Pro there is a good deal here which also includes a wireless charging mat:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/appl...connect-uk-ret

...but may go for the higher priced ones at JL due to their returns policy.