closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consolidating 10 years into one watch..Rolex day date meteorite diamond dial

Consolidating 10 years into one watch..Rolex day date meteorite diamond dial

I feel like I’ve been on a great big journey over the last ten years having had the pleasure of having owned at some point pretty much all of the modern Rolex including some special pieces (y serial LV, white gold Daytona, steel Daytona etc).
    I find myself in the very lucky position of having 4 watches that all have great merits on there own and I enjoy all of them. I’m currently debating to consolidate them all and buy a grail watch and call it a day. I’ve enjoyed the buying experience over the years and even fed the process by buying a new watch and selling an older one in the collection to sustain the new watch feeling. With the current situation around watches being extremely hard to get hold of and the fact that watches are eye wateringly expensive, I’m seriously thinking about selling my last 4 watches and buying the one super piece.
    So, to go would be a 2008 black dial steel Daytona, a 2012 hulk, a 2012 steel and gold white dial Daytona and a sd4000.
    The grail piece? The white gold Rolex 40mm day date with meteorite diamond dial. Sounds very garish on paper but have a look at the pictures...I’m mesmerised. I would go so far to say I think it’s one of the nicest modern day dates you can buy. Is it ostentatious? Sure. Is it blingy? Well yes but imo in a discrete way. Does it have some exotic materials? Not going to beat an out of this world dial! Anyhow, what’s the general opinion on the following watch..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Yeti; 10th June 2020 at 16:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I feel like I’ve been on a great big journey over the last ten years having had the pleasure of having owned at some point pretty much all of the modern Rolex including some special pieces (y serial LV, white gold Daytona, steel Daytona etc).
    I find myself in the very lucky position of having 4 watches that all have great merits on there own and I enjoy all of them. I’m currently debating to consolidate them all and buy a grail watch and call it a day. I’ve enjoyed the buying experience over the years and even fed the process by buying a new watch and selling an older one in the collection to sustain the new watch feeling. With the current situation around watches being extremely hard to get hold of and the fact that watches are eye wateringly expensive, I’m seriously thinking about selling my last 4 watches and buying the one super piece.
    So, to go would be a 2008 black dial steel Daytona, a 2012 hulk, a 2012 steel and gold white dial Daytona and a sd4000.
    The grail piece? The white gold Rolex 40mm day date with meteorite diamond dial. Sounds very garish on paper but have a look at the pictures...I’m mesmerised. I would go so far to say I think it’s one of the nicest modern day dates you can buy. Is it ostentatious? Sure. Is it blingy? Well yes but imo in a discrete way. Does it have some exotic materials? Not going to beat an out of this world dial! Anyhow, what’s the general opinion on the following watch..

I really like that. I didn't know there was such a watch and I think it works really nicely. I think the dial really complements the simple design DD design (whereas I personally don't think it works well on the new BLRO).

What's the price? On the Rolex website it says price on request. I would be nervous at putting it all into a gold watch of any colour due to softness when compared to steel or platinum.

Lovely watch and certainly special but wouldn’t you miss a bit of variety?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What's the price? On the Rolex website it says price on request. I would be nervous at putting it all into a gold watch of any colour due to softness when compared to steel or platinum.
    About £35k on the secondary market, maybe a bit less..they do a platinum version but I don’t like the smooth bezel..or the cost!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Lovely watch and certainly special but wouldn’t you miss a bit of variety?

Yes and no. I do like the choice but putting the day date on would be a huge pleasure..

Nice watch but I wouldn’t sell off that collection to get it - just my opinion of course

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Its a beautiful day-date and I think baguette dials really work on these.
    Personally, id ditch the Daytonas and the SD and save a bit, keep the LV for some variety if needed.

It's a great looking watch. One of kind and if it's something you feel you need to tick off the list, then do it.

One of my grail watches is a DD40 (ideally the Platinum but settle for the RG green dial). Would I swap my current lot (AP 14790SA, 116710BLNR; Tudor sub 79090, Tudor BB 79220N, Omega Seamaster Pro 300, Omega DeVille Co-Ax Chron) for the DD40 Platinum? Probably not, right at this moment anyway, but not because I'd miss the variety or I'd be bored of wearing the same watch (I mostly wear an Apple watch daily anyway) but because each of my purchases has some sentimental value.

It is a stunning watch, but I wonder about the clarity of the silver (or WG) hands over that dial. There would be nothing worse that doing this then finding out that the Watch drives you mad in certain light because it isn't clear. I think a watch that you would need to see in the flesh.

I'm all for consolidation and currently planning to settle on three watches, but I do think a single watch might be a little extreme, especially if it needs servicing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you can go to one watch and wear it everywhere then I am jealous.
    I was wishing yesterday I had the courage to do it with my Zenith Tipo.
    Before I had an interest in watches,it was one watch for everything and just wear it all the time.

I say go for it.

Master
    Not my cup of tea, I’m afraid.

At 40mm it’s too big as a non sports watch for my taste and I’ve never been a fan of diamonds on a mans watch.

It just looks garish imo.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 10th June 2020 at 17:03.

“It’s a bold strategy Cotton”

Master
    I like the watch and very brave move.

Regardless of which watches you sell to fund it, does the DJ41 fluted in silver or rhodium dual, and with diamond or no diamond achieve much of the same monochromatic look for a fraction of the cost.

No right wrong move, just follow your instinct I say, definitely not something to do in a rush.

I Personally like the variety, especially the variety of what you have, but only you know if that is the real grail watch or like most the grail watch until you get it and another takes the mantle :-)

Last edited by TonyAFC8; 10th June 2020 at 17:58.

Not a move I would make (I would definitely get bored of one watch, and for me definitely that one watch) - but only you know you.

Master
    I have just one mechanical watch, well, I will have when it finally arrives (usual Rolex story). Oddly enough, my “one watch” was for a year, a DayDate. Don’t see anything wrong with that, and you can always change it at some point, and still end up with a single watch.
    After all , it’s how most people behave, so there has to be some merit in the idea. And I very much like a meteorite dial!

Master
    God damn that is beautiful. Do it. 100%!!!

Journeyman
    While I like the idea of only having one watch I think the variety is more appealing.

I recently tried to only have one watch after months of searching/debating/researching/rationalising. It lasted about 3 weeks before I bought another.

Thanks for all the comments guys..I do understand about having variety but watches have been an illness for me for ten years. I’ve hunted watches down over the years even taking road trips abroad.. In a sense, I enjoyed the thrill of the purchase. I’m at a stage now where the money that I used to play with is now reduced having bought into some serious investments so I’m left with what I’ve got as a “watch fund” as such. In the past I’ve been able to keep my above watches and buy others and if I didn’t like the new addition, move it on. I also used to be able to snag a deal or two, a lot of doors have now been closed as the ADs tightened up and the market exploded. We are no longer talking £5/6/7k a watch, more like £10/11/12k+ and I simply can’t get involved anymore. We are now made to feel lucky if we get a watch at list price! Gone are the days of 30% off of Rolex which believe it or not wasn’t too long ago..(certain metals of course). Anyhow, I feel that it may be time for pastures new, I’ve enjoyed my watches but for peace of mind, consolidate down to one and bloody enjoy that one watch..if I’m honest, I rarely get to wear my watches so although it’s nice to have a choice, having one would still be special and I’d probably be able to appreciate it.
    Anyhow..I’m on the phone to the AD on the 15th June to see what list price is on the watch. It may be cheaper than the £35k what they are in the secondary market..that would be a nice surprise. Knowing my luck they’ll probably be a £40k list price watch. I would like to have a final blow out at the AD and get the pleasure of taking stickers off etc and having the paperwork in my name..
    Thanks for reading!

Master
    ***Chanting, playground style...***

Do it! Do it! Do it!

But... list will definitely be over £35k. Normal dial with baguettes is £35k
    Last edited by cmcm3; 10th June 2020 at 19:28.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Awful decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Awful decision.
    Not the consolidation, but the target piece.

Master
    I am firmly a vintage Rolex type and have a few extremely nice examples but picked up a white gold DD 11 for weddings and funerals and it is a beauty, very impressed with the white gold and feels terrific on the wrist, if that particular dial is your taste then go for it.

Awful decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Not the consolidation, but the target piece.
    This particular model is generally met with positive comments...I take it not to your taste 😂😂

Go for it, always fancied a meteorite dial of some sort myself.

Master
    For such a terminal decision I’d probably look into leasing one of them for a month or so to see if it lives up to your expectations.

Craftsman
    Go for it.

Obviously when you say down to one watch that doesnt include a G-Shock, or Precista or smart watch or...

Blog Entries
    Do it , looks fantastic .
    I did something similar and would advise keeping hold of at least one other piece as Verv suggested .
    I would (did) keep the SD

Yeti this is such a completely personal decision that I’m hesitant to comment. You’re clearly reasonably set on doing it, and if it works for you that’s great.

If I was in your shoes then I personally wouldn’t do it - I’m not enamoured of that particular watch (or indeed of that style of watch), so it would never be a grail for me.

I also can’t imagine wanting or choosing to wear the same watch every day.

But that’s all meaningless - I’m not you. If it makes you happy then you should do it.

As Peter said in an earlier post, if you go off it you can always sell it and buy something else...

Simon

Awful decision.
    Thoughtful, well reasoned argument, as usual

Simon

This is a decision only you can answer. One does need to consolidate to enable ‘moving up’, but I’d be loathe to put all my watches into one. Can’t you keep one of your current, to enable variety? Because honestly, if you can’t then I’d be tempted to say you’re possibly over stretching in terms of price.

Do it. It's probably a good time to try and obtain something like that at the moment, I reckon you could get this and still keep one of your current collection. If you're a fan of day dates this is pretty much the ultimate!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    You’re right when you say that it sounds garish on paper, and also absolutely spot on about it being stunning in reality - it looks great! Not sure I’d want to compromise as far as selling all of my watches though, some variety might be nice to retain.

Opened the post expecting a dogs dinner Rolex... but it doesn’t get much classier than that. Understated precious metal and diamond, but I love it and a super special piece.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Thoughtful, well reasoned argument, as usual

Simon
    Simon, you know it as well as I do. This is a car crash decision. But it if makes the OP happy.
    Best wishes,
    S

Excellent choice but at the expense of a collection, that would hurt!

Craftsman
    Not sure if I missed variety if I had this piece. Beautiful!

Craftsman
    I would go for it, but would also consider holding on to at least one from the current collection.

As others have said, try to keep one. If you don't your first service is going to be very expensive when you miss your posh watch and buy one to wear while it's away.

Master
    Of course, there’s always the platinum DayDate. That has to be the ultimate. I tried one on once, quite frightened me because I liked it. Or, in ‘one watch’ mode, if you want a Rolex, there’s the platinum Daytona. Now that is quite a watch. And only 60k.
    This is a game you can never win........there’s always,always, something more. But ‘one watch’ still makes sense to me.
    Sometimes I think that a basic Speedy is the truly sensible choice......somehow it always seems classy. Like a Jaguar E-Type.
    Last edited by paskinner; 11th June 2020 at 12:30.

Grand Master
    Can never understand the 'one watch' philosophy. Would you choose to wear one set of clothes 24/7?

Letting go of watches you like, in order to buy one you might like a little more for a while, is folly. By all means trim a collection down a little, even I do that, but getting rid of them all to buy a 'grail' rarely ends well.

Each to his own..........I definitely wouldn't. White gold or platinum watches have never appealed, they look too much like steel to me.

Craftsman
    Either way, its a great dilemma to have, at this price point I would try to push for a new watch at a discount to rrp.

That's a lovely thing, I keep looking at Day Dates, timeless and elegant, I would be happy to have one as my only watch, just remember to take it off when working on the car, DIY etc

I really lust after a day-date now too

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Of course, there’s always the platinum DayDate. That has to be the ultimate. I tried one on once, quite frightened me because I liked it. Or, in ‘one watch’ mode, if you want a Rolex, there’s the platinum Daytona. Now that is quite a watch. And only 60k.
    This is a game you can never win........there’s always,always, something more. But ‘one watch’ still makes sense to me.
    Sometimes I think that a basic Speedy is the truly sensible choice......somehow it always seems classy. Like a Jaguar E-Type.
    I would certainly prefer the platinum version if only Rolex would make a fluted bezel for the platinum version. I just can’t warm to the smooth bezel on platinum day dates.
    I’ve actually had the pleasure of wearing a platinum daytona, I simply didn’t see what the fuss was about. You can get a Daytona in all metals, but a day date only comes in precious metals...
    Last edited by Yeti; 11th June 2020 at 17:34.

Craftsman
    I read the OP like I was on a roller coaster. Up, down, twisting, trepidation and anticipation.

I completely get the watch fund is not what it was and will never be again take, as well as having a final hurrah. Irrespective of our views, it's Yeti's choice and I'm another one that couldn't do just one watch.

Now that said, when it comes down to it, Yeti sells his collection and buys the one. If for whatever reason he doesn't bond, misses the variety or the thrill of the hunt. He can always sell it and start again with a new watch fund.

Yeti, you've obviously worked hard and earned your hobby. Do what's good for you and if you change your mind at some point, well that's your prerogative too.

Good luck in your decision and thanks for sharing.

Cheers

J

Master
    Sell all the watches and get the below for £7,750. Can upgrade to meteorite day date or buy other watches, gives lots of options

Craftsman
    I'm not a fan of meteorite dials at this end of the market.

With all the microbrands doing them for a few hundred quid, I think it cheapens rather than elevates.

That is a lovely piece.

I am currently in the consolidation cycle!

In my current mindset i'd happily trade away a few SS Rolex in order to obtain a stunning WG piece. I have looked at a couple of beautiful Platinum Presidents with the ice blue dial but at the moment just can't justify it.

I'm very interested to see what you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Sell all the watches and get the below for £7,750. Can upgrade to meteorite day date or buy other watches, gives lots of options

I appreciate the advice and I can’t say that isn’t a nice piece..there’s just something about the model I’m after, it’s just reeling me in under a spell..maybe il try and buy it and see if I can bond with it before selling my other pieces. Then make a decision after a month or so..

Master
    I have a new Datejust which is very nice and a white gold DD and there is no comparison, the DD just oozes class. The Datejust is more of a daily wearer.