closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G-Shock G-SQUAD GBD-H1000 with Heart Rate Monitor and GPS

Master

G-Shock G-SQUAD GBD-H1000 with Heart Rate Monitor and GPS

Anyone looking forward to this.

Yes it's big like the Casio Rangeman GPS and dosen't have all of it's functions but at £379 it could be an interesting watch.

https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-g-...nitor-and-gps/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Anyone looking forward to this.

Yes it's big like the Casio Rangeman GPS and dosen't have all of it's functions but at £379 it could be an interesting watch.

https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-g-...nitor-and-gps/

It looks to be a good price compared to when I bought my Rangeman.... similar features albeit not all, but still a lot of watch for the money.

I Don't think I can justify anymore similar 'G's at the moment - what about you, are you going to bite the bullet?

Mike

Yes those do look interesting, especially for the large display. I'm not sure how much use of the monitoring functions I'd use but as a "poor man's Rangeman" they appeal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    It looks to be a good price compared to when I bought my Rangeman.... similar features albeit not all, but still a lot of watch for the money.

I Don't think I can justify anymore similar 'G's at the moment - what about you, are you going to bite the bullet?

Mike
    Yes i am the list for when they are released this month.

I had a Rangeman GPS and sold it and bought another in the Beaverbrooks sale but the order was cancelled.

Going to try one and at this price should be alot of watch for the money.

G-Shock looks to be heading towards competing with Garmin Fenix and similar.

Just seen this wrist shot on IG - they are not small.

Master
    Yes i am the list for when they are released this month.

I had a Rangeman GPS and sold it and bought another in the Beaverbrooks sale but the order was cancelled.

Going to try one and at this price should be alot of watch for the money.

That's interesting I saw the rangeman in the beaverbrooks sale - wasn't it about £374? Great price.

I too tried to order a watch from H Samuels only to be told they had to cancel my order.... frustrating.

Mike

Doesn't seem to offer running cadence, which is a shame. Otherwise I'd replace my Garmin with one

Master
    I'd be highly interested in this as a cycling + general purpose watch, except that there's no way to export GPX (recorded track) data from the Casio app, and no way to connect it to Strava or other track / route sharing services. So for me, despite the absence of solar charging, a Garmin Instinct is a much better bet. Can't help thinking that Casio have missed a trick, there.

Master
    I like this, especially the one with the white strap. Display seems to be a decent size with plenty of info available.

Master
    With no link to Strava though I'll be keeping my Fenix 5.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I'd be highly interested in this as a cycling + general purpose watch, except that there's no way to export GPX (recorded track) data from the Casio app, and no way to connect it to Strava or other track / route sharing services. So for me, despite the absence of solar charging, a Garmin Instinct is a much better bet. Can't help thinking that Casio have missed a trick, there.
    I agree they definitely missed a trick there.

I am a big fell walking fan and use these features a lot when planning walks. My go to for that very reason is my Suunto Ambit or Suunto Traverse. Mapping is so much faster and easier to read due to bigger map font etc.

The one advantage with my Rangeman is the battery charge which when used over several days constant use if wild camping is huge bonus without the worry of a power source.

I thought they may have addressed the mapping issue with this model but clearly not... still a nice piece though even when used with their google mapping on the app.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Just seen this wrist shot on IG - they are not small.
    There are people out on tag with smaller devices around their ankles

Master
    What's not to like

This is the only watch I'm interested in at the moment.

I Have a Garmin Fenix 5 which I do love for running and cycling (HR function links to my Garmin Edge 810), but notifications are a bit rubbish.

Keen to see if this will work as a decent smart watch or not...I've tried a Samsung watch, yet to find something that ticks all the boxes. Even considering moving back to iOS from android as the latest apple watch looks pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Video here says it syncs with strava...so I'll be a happy bunny!

https://www.g-central.com/gbd-h1000-...by-g-shock-eu/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmul View Post

Me too😁

Master

There seems to be a bit of doubt / contradiction over this .. this piece says that's not possible:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews...hock-gbd-h1000

The ‘History’ tab allows you to scroll through your workout history. There are swathes of statistics to pore over, which only makes it more of a shame that you can’t export activity data to third-party fitness apps: you’re limited to sharing a stylised image of your running route, overlaid with a few key stats. This is particularly restrictive if you’re invested in a social workout platform such as Strava.

Looks fantastic!

I like the look of this. If it does link to Strava I may give one a go

Really like the look of this one - Reasonable price for the features available, great size & spec.

Seems a bit of confusion over cross-compatibility with other apps. It’s an issue but not that big of an inconvenience, personally I’ll probably wear this AND my Apple Watch and compare stats from the two.

Release date 22nd May, can’t wait

If it does sync with Strava I'd be up for one. Let's see what people say after its launched.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    Really like the look of this one - Reasonable price for the features available, great size & spec.

Seems a bit of confusion over cross-compatibility with other apps. It’s an issue but not that big of an inconvenience, personally I’ll probably wear this AND my Apple Watch and compare stats from the two.

Release date 22nd May, can’t wait
    Where did you see the release date...was going to be April but probably with Covid 19 been delayed.

Where did you see the release date...was going to be April but probably with Covid 19 been delayed.
    I got an email from Casio UK last week.. I signed up for notifications about this model and the new G-lide squares

Master
    I got an email from Casio UK last week.. I signed up for notifications about this model and the new G-lide squares
    Thanks for that.

Master
    Now in stock...just ordered one.

released 9.00, website crashed at 9.05!

managed to get the white one into my basket, took ages to checkout but my order has been confirmed.

now showing as Sold Out :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If it does sync with Strava I'd be up for one. Let's see what people say after its launched.
    Just downloaded the G Shock MOVE app and there’s a section in there for linking to external apps.

IMG_9577.JPG

Looks very similar to many other fitness tracking apps, where you log in and grant access rights

Last edited by goregasm; 22nd May 2020 at 12:06.

Just downloaded the G Shock MOVE app and there’s a section in there for linking to external apps.
    Looks very similar to many other fitness tracking apps, where you log in and grant access rights
    Oh wow, thanks. Think I'm going to try get one from Jura or H Samuel with a discount then. Shame it isn't saphhire but for the price it wasn't going to be. Hopefully this will keep me going until the Rangeman is updated as that seems to be the "full fat" version.

Just signed up to g-shock.co.uk to get 10% off but code not working...anyone else had the same?

Just signed up to g-shock.co.uk to get 10% off but code not working...anyone else had the same?
    I got the code too but it’s not valid on new releases

Thanks - I also checked with customer service before I saw this and they said the same.

I've held off on buying yet - I very nearly did but I'm drawing comparisons to my Fenix 5!

I can confirm that the watch data does indeed connect with the Strava app.

Just created a test activity in the MOVE app (30min 5k) and it transfers automatically over to Strava

Looking good so far

I can confirm that the watch data does indeed connect with the Strava app.

Just created a test activity in the MOVE app (30min 5k) and it transfers automatically over to Strava

Looking good so far
    Seems promising although a bit concerning Tech Radar only gave it a 3.5/5.

Now in stock...just ordered one.
    Exciting- please keep us updated when you get it!

Journeyman
    It looks great but technology evolves quickly and functionally this seems like a Fenix from five years ago. Hopefully software updates will bring it a little more up to date.

I’m a G-Shock fan but looks aside the Garmin Instinct looks a better bet and is £160 cheaper.
    Last edited by SlipperySam; 23rd May 2020 at 09:33.

Seems promising although a bit concerning Tech Radar only gave it a 3.5/5.

3.5/5 is still 70%.. not too bad

On the negative points;

Huge and heavy - isn’t that what G’s are all about? Add in ugly, bold and highly noticeable

Frustratingly unintuitive interface - can’t comment because I’ve not tried it yet the app seems straightforward though

Most faces can’t be customized - not a concern personally

No option to export data from app - the app has been updated twice in the past few days, probably to introduce these features. see my post above RE app linking

All in all, that’s not a bad review!

I notice that the new G-lide squares use the same app. Also have step tracking and training features. The only thing missing is the gps, but the manual suggests that you could track with the watch while it’s linked to a phone for mapping & logging. These are scheduled for a June release and are a reasonable £139

They look good. The tech radar review isn’t from the point of view of a g shock fan or even a watch fan so they’re probably looking at it from a different perspective to us.

The specs at 60mm + and 20mm deep sound ridiculous until you see it next to a rangeman which makes it look normal

I ordered the GBD-100 with the white strap purely because I want to try a g shock with the MIP display - I’ve just started ‘couch to 5k’ and it seems like if you have your phone with you on a run (which I always take for music and the running app for couch to 5k) it will provide GPS data of your run anyway. Plus email and phone alerts, a vibration alarm, and I haven’t got a g shock that updates via the app/Bluetooth in my collection of (mostly screw back) G shocks yet - so keen to try out the new technology. I have a 4th generation Apple Watch I never wear - it always feels flimsy, and the charging and constant alerts just irritated me, and the heart rate sensor was never something I actually used. So with a 2 year battery life from a CR2032 which I’m confident I can replace myself (I have silicone O ring grease, screwdrivers and a steady hand!) and for just £139 this seems like a no brainer! (and if I really get the running bug I can just upgrade!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    That all seems a little over complicated when you could have your tracking, tunes and 5k app on your Apple Watch. Charging stands are cheap as chips so you don’t even really need to think about charging it. Just drop it on the stand when you’re done and disable all the alerts if they bug you.

But his way means he gets a new watch ;)

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    That all seems a little over complicated when you could have your tracking, tunes and 5k app on your Apple Watch. Charging stands are cheap as chips so you don’t even really need to think about charging it. Just drop it on the stand when you’re done and disable all the alerts if they bug you.

Yes, but you said this on another thread;

I’d love a G-Shock with the functionality of an Apple Watch. It would be my perfect digital beater and sports watch.
    Which do you want?

3.5/5 is still 70%.. not too bad

Frustratingly unintuitive interface - can’t comment because I’ve not tried it yet the app seems straightforward though
    That was the only bit that concerned me, the rest I don't care about or is to be expected and half the point (size etc). You can't cycle through the menus backwards so if you miss the option you were going for you can't just go back, you have to loop around again. Seems silly and like something which could be fixed with a software update but I'm not sure Casio would do this.

It will work with Strava on my bike rides now while I use my phone to track but next month I'm getting a road bike and will probably buy a Wahoo cycle computer. I don't know if the G-Shock will connect to that. I have a 15% off code for Goldsmiths so when they start stocking there I will probably get one anyway.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    But his way means he gets a new watch ;)
    Ha, true. And that always trumps all else

Yes, but you said this on another thread. Which do you want?
    A G-Shock with Apple Watch like functionality. The Apple Watch is dull as anything to look at but they’ve packaged so much in a small case. Take the Apple Watch internals and put it in a G-Shock case and I’d be a happy camper. When out cycling, walking, running etc I want to take one device that is light, functional and relatively tough. I’ve never seen the point of smart watches that need to be paired to a phone in close proximity for their useful functions to work. A robust case on my Apple Watch is the best I’ve got for now.

That was the only bit that concerned me, the rest I don't care about or is to be expected and half the point (size etc). You can't cycle through the menus backwards so if you miss the option you were going for you can't just go back, you have to loop around again. Seems silly and like something which could be fixed with a software update but I'm not sure Casio would do this.

It will work with Strava on my bike rides now while I use my phone to track but next month I'm getting a road bike and will probably buy a Wahoo cycle computer. I don't know if the G-Shock will connect to that. I have a 15% off code for Goldsmiths so when they start stocking there I will probably get one anyway.
    All G shocks do that though don’t they? Nothing worse than skipping through screens an missing the one you want. But according to the manual, a ‘long press’ on the D button (bottom left) returns you to the timekeeping screen. You can also flip between the timekeeping and training screens

https://support.casio.com/storage/en...009/qw3475.pdf

Not sure about connecting to bike computers, it seems the MOVE app only syncs with Apple Health/GoogleFit and Strava.. maybe more integration is on the way?

Ha, true. And that always trumps all else

A G-Shock with Apple Watch like functionality. The Apple Watch is dull as anything to look at but they’ve packaged so much in a small case. Take the Apple Watch internals and put it in a G-Shock case and I’d be a happy camper. When out cycling, walking, running etc I want to take one device that is light, functional and relatively tough. I’ve never seen the point of smart watches that need to be paired to a phone in close proximity for their useful functions to work. A robust case on my Apple Watch is the best I’ve got for now.
    I have an Apple Watch too.. I’m inclined to agree

I use it for running and MTB, but as you say it’s quite ‘delicate’. Hopefully this new G will take over and I can retire the AW to sleep tracking

Journeyman
    Yeah, I use mine for MTB too but also use a Garmin bike computer if riding new routes I’m not familiar with. Still take the Apple Watch for music and the phone though so I can leave my actual phone at home - I hate carrying loads of gear on my bike!

All a fair point, I just find the Apple Watch a bit nondescript and boring, and it does feel like one small knock and it’s ruined!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Definitely. I only ever wear it for a specific purpose, never just for enjoyment. I wish it looked like a square G-Shock - Any of them would do!

Or at least let us have interesting third party faces like this....

https://medium.muz.li/designing-an-a...e-321f646f9a75
    Last edited by SlipperySam; 23rd May 2020 at 19:29.

Master
    Unexpected knock on the door from Parcelforce this morning.
    Only ordered Fri so wasn’t expecting this so quickly.
    First impressions are that it certainly wears smaller than my Rangeman.... but quality is definitely not the same. It feels much lighter and you can definitely see where they have kept the cost down on things like the strap and case.

Will put it through its paces today

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk