closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Farer

Master

Farer

Any love? I've found a few previous threads but nothing in a while. I have the Lander II. Super comfortable to wear, great bracelet, like the colours. Probably not a keeper as it wears a bit big on me. Overall I'm impressed with the build quality. Customer service was great too. Any other owners or fans?

Master
    This is mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    As you know, I'm a fan!

I have a Hecla (which I think have just sold out in their current guise). I am keen on their handwound chronos too, the Berina is a lovely watch.

That looks great, I will have a mooch on their website to get some idea on pricing, defo love the legibitlty.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I'm really tempted by this Oxley silver LE. Never really got the bronze crown, so a more conventional look is a plus for me.

Does anyone have any real world pictures or experience?

Master
    My Hecla wearing one of its many straps

There's a nice example on SC at the moment, which I keep going back to.

Had my Lander II GMT for a year or so now and absolutely adore it. Quality is great and I had the same CX as you, excellent.
    What I love most about it is it somehow manages to be both traditional and contemporary at the same time. It's a nod to classic and also a thumbed nose at boring. And the dial is a magical thing, changing hues of green just like the sea does with changing light on it.
    It's taken me a year to find the right strap for it though (came with quick release, which is an absolute no for me).
    Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 16.07.54 by Oscar India, on Flickr

Master
    I have had two and sold both. not to say that i would not get again though. the blue lE looks interesting.

I bought an endurance without paperwork/box for £250 last year from chronmaster which was great value, wore for a bit.

I had the diver one for a bit, which i wore quite often, but i had the black dial and had really wanted the blue one.

I think they make good second hand picks.

In my opinion perhaps better than the standard CW stuff, but a bit below Pinion.

This is mine. A Frobisher II and I love it! I particularly like the bright orange hands against the blue sunburst dial. It really is a thing of beauty. I like the fact that Farer are doing their own thing.

I really like these mostly because of the colour variations but I cannot get over the bronze crown, both shape and colour. I've got a few watches that I keep returning to only to be put off by the smallest detail that just doesn't work such as a font style or mismatch, tiny piece of case finishing or the profile of an edge that I know will nag me.

In the case of Farer it's very annoying because I'd like a white/silver dialled three hander and the one in SC is just the sort of thing I am looking for, other than the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    This is mine.

I am staring to dislike the date on watches more and more. With a 3 instead of the date this watch would look much better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    I'm really tempted by this Oxley silver LE. Never really got the bronze crown, so a more conventional look is a plus for me.

Does anyone have any real world pictures or experience?

I had one briefly but sold it. Although it was nice there were a few little things that meant I decided not to keep it. Because of the colour the numbers on the 24 hour track were quite difficult to see. The dark outer track also made the dial appear smaller than it is and therefore the watch felt smaller than the 39.5mm diameter. The colour combination of the various blues also felt a little child like to me in person.

Quote Originally Posted by matt74 View Post
    I really like these mostly because of the colour variations but I cannot get over the bronze crown, both shape and colour. I've got a few watches that I keep returning to only to be put off by the smallest detail that just doesn't work such as a font style or mismatch, tiny piece of case finishing or the profile of an edge that I know will nag me.

In the case of Farer it's very annoying because I'd like a white/silver dialled three hander and the one in SC is just the sort of thing I am looking for, other than the crown.
    I felt the same about the bronze crown but it does grow on you (almost literally, given it oxidises and leaves a blue stain on your wrist!). But when I got it on the right strap, eventually, it kind of works with it. But bronze crown grumbles are a bit of a constant refrain about most Farer watches, I think your view is very much the majority one.

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    I had one briefly but sold it. Although it was nice there were a few little things that meant I decided not to keep it. Because of the colour the numbers on the 24 hour track were quite difficult to see. The dark outer track also made the dial appear smaller than it is and therefore the watch felt smaller than the 39.5mm diameter. The colour combination of the various blues also felt a little child like to me in person.
    Many thanks for your thoughts here, and also the picture. It's amazing how different the colours look to the press photos.

Edit.. although the bracelet looks good.

Master
    Another offering from Farer, looks quite interesting to me.

https://farer.com/products/charlton#

I was very tempted by Farer a little while back. But a deal on an Elliot Brown got me to pull a different trigger. They look very smart, and love the colour mixture.

They do make very good looking watches to be fair...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    They do make very good looking watches to be fair...

Can't say farer than that...

Journeyman
    I think they're well built, though the playful nature verges on the edge of childish on some models imho.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zoiksy View Post

There’s the door

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    There’s the door

After you!

Master
    I do like them, they seem to be reasonably priced as well.

Interestingly unlike Christopher Ward they have never discounted any of their watches either. Few make it on eBay so I assume people keep hold of them.

Farer

When my partner proposed to me earlier this year, she presented me with this. I have to say I’m hugely impressed by it. They could teach other brands a thing or two about colour-matching date wheels.

Last edited by colin t; 27th August 2020 at 17:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I do like them, they seem to be reasonably priced as well.

Interestingly unlike Christopher Ward they have never discounted any of their watches either. Few make it on eBay so I assume people keep hold of them.
    I bought and sold mine on eBay. I contacted Farer to try and source some missing links and their customer service was really good. I thought it was a lovely watch, I liked the colours, the bracelet was super comfortable, the finish was excellent and the timekeeping was good. I sold it because it wore a little too big for me and I decided I didn't want a GMT.

Craftsman
    I have to say I’m a big fan of their styling and am encouraged to hear that customer service is good. I’ve never seen one in the flesh but I think I may have to get involved. I particularly like the new GMT Bezel. Cool vintage vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I have to say I’m a big fan of their styling and am encouraged to hear that customer service is good. I’ve never seen one in the flesh but I think I may have to get involved. I particularly like the new GMT Bezel. Cool vintage vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I also like the new GMT bezel. A friend of mine has a Farer and loves it, wearing it in rotation with his DSSD and JLC Master Moonphase.

Quote Originally Posted by zoiksy View Post
    Don't give up the day job
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I love my Lander II GMT. Had it years (from before they changed the movements after the ETA tap was turned off). On the deployment strap from Eddie's PRS45 it looks fine.
    Only thing i would change is the infuriating brass crown. It not only marks one's wrist but the shape of it means it's really hard to grip so it takes endless turning, to the point of blisters, which is particularly an issue with a GMT. As it's a keeper (it's engraved on the back) I'm minded to send it to Olivier and ask him to fit a stainless, gripable, crown.
    [IMG]IMG_0281 by Oscar India, on Flickr[/IMG]