closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex SS Ceramic Daytona

Craftsman

Rolex SS Ceramic Daytona

I’m expecting to be shot down here, but I have a ceramic SS Daytona (black dial) and it’s among the most disappointing watches I own. I’ve had it three years and I’ve worn it less than 10 times. Something about the ceramic bezel and the sub-dial rings has the feeling of a Seiko about it. I’m desperate to fall in love with it but no connection so far. It took me a lot of effort to get one at retail and I therefore I feel a strange compulsion not to sell it. Thoughts? I’m currently thinking about swapping it for one with a white dial....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Funny isn’t it. I thought i’d be underwhelmed but when I tried one on I loved it. It’s a watch i’m seriously thinking about stepping up to. My local grey dealer had 2 at £18k but that’s still too rich for me and I suspect i’ll Benefit from waiting a while.

ETA - I do think the white looks better, but they seem a good £2k plus more.
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 20th May 2020 at 23:48.

I hear you - had the previous model tried the new one and didn’t like the feel and look as much as the old.

However over the past year I’m slowly getting drawn back to it!

Thanks
    S

Master
    Blog Entries
    I prefer the black but it's horses for courses. I think the ceramic isn't as nice as the older models, is it just a dial colour or are you really better off looking for a pe ceramic model?

I was obsessed with a vintage aquatimer when launched about 10 years ago, loved it in the pictures but when I tried it on it fell very flat. It's impossible to know if there is a bond before you buy but at least you were able to gamble knowing you won't be out of pocket.

I’ve got the white but much prefer the black. I think I bought it because I could and not because I wanted it.

Master
    Good problems to have chaps! Visually I prefer the newer ceramic dial Daytona’s but I do not think I would be able to but one

I know this thread is (I assume) about the subtle differences between ceramic/pre-ceramic and between black and white dials, but I just don’t like Daytonas at all. I’ve never owned one but have tried on my brother-in-laws pre-ceramic white dial and was distinctly underwhelmed. For me, too small and dainty, too crowded, too difficult to read.

I’ll get my coat.

Simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would look out for a white dial Zenith Daytona. IMO these are the best looking of the modern models. And roughly in the same ball park without papers.

M

I've had a few including the white dial ceramic and just like the OPs black dial it just didn't cut the mustard.

I was never a fan of the 116520 white because I didn't like the colour of the sub dials, but had a Zenith 16520 White with the black Sub dial rings and that was superb.

With the benefit of hindsight, the Zenith is the one to go for

Master
    I had a pre ceramic black faced Daytona and could not have been more underwhelmed. Just couldn’t find any love for it. There is a thread on here somewhere detailing how I swapped it for a new DSSD, how times have changed!

I do however love my Ceramic one and still look forward to wearing it as often as I can. So strange how these things work....

Master

Rolex SS Ceramic Daytona

My preference is black dial over white generally. My favourite is zenith 16520 patrizzi, least prefer is white dial pre ceramic.

Mine is in-house pre ceramic.

Master
    I agree that the 16520 Zenith is the real gem in the Daytona line up, it does have the classiest look and it is dead easy to read the sub dials. However I have to say that it is the least favourite Rolex in my collection but there is no way on Gods earth that I would ever sell it. It probably gets a fortnights wear a year.

The Daytona (IMO) works most successfully if the colours are kept as monotonous as possible. So black on silver and with the white 116520, just silver. The ceramic white for instance is just too fussy, the black rings on the white dials just don't work for me, though I recognise I'm in the minority here. And I honestly think the ceramic bezel cheapens the look of the watch, especially the black dial which looks like a Tag (no offence to Tag....).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've had the black ceramic Daytona and I think I sold it on after a couple of weeks.
    I found it difficult to read at a glance as it's quite busy with thin hands that dont have much contrast. Probably says more about my decreasing eyesight than the watch though. I expect the white would be easier to read from photographs but I prefer subs and gmts so dont count it as a huge loss. I prefer speedmasters.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The Daytona (IMO) works most successfully if the colours are kept as monotonous as possible. So black on silver and with the white 116520, just silver. The ceramic white for instance is just too fussy, the black rings on the white dials just don't work for me, though I recognise I'm in the minority here. And I honestly think the ceramic bezel cheapens the look of the watch, especially the black dial which looks like a Tag (no offence to Tag....).

I agree, here is my monotonous edition

Master
    The colour doesn’t change anything.
    The ceramic Daytona has been biggest disappointment to me watchwise.
    Loved it in photos but when I finally got it, it was really underwhelming. It looked and felt like a toy. And the 12.000€ list price felt like it was 4.000€ overpriced.

Master
    I'm not in any position to offer any meaningful thoughts on the Daytona, but I noted the OPs slight derogatory comparison to a Seiko. I am not a Seiko fan boy but do own a sumo, along with a Tudor, an Omega and a Tissot and I've had a ceramic sub before and a steinhart. I tend to think generally you need to look very hard to visually see more quality in a £7k+ watch then a £500 watch, particularly when new. We are paying a great deal for the brand and how it makes us feel and I had thought they this was a particularly large draw of the Daytona as a Rolex sport/pro flagship. So interesting to see the OP isn't bonding just because it's a Daytona but is actually looking past that. Not sure I would!

I had a pre ceramic black dial after wanting to own one for years. Financially my moving it on was a bad move but I couldn't live with it. For me there has to be a 'hit' to your eyes when you glance to tell the time, some watches are better than others of course. I found the Daytona just scrambled my eyes when I looked at it. It's got all the quality, it's an icon of a watch but I decided going into the future all it was going to do was give me eyeball ache.

People say this about the deepsea too, but I think unless you’ve handled one and worn it for a period of time you won’t really know if it’s for you or not.

You certainly get used to whatever watch you wear, and no doubt if you come from a seadweller or deepsea as a regular wearer and put the Daytona on, it wears very small and you may not like it. But, wear it regularly and it becomes very normal, it is the best part of 40mm. I also think the ceramics wear bigger too than the Steel bezels, just a visual trick.

I never was a Daytona fan, and had never been on a list, and indeed turned down one at an rrp of £7950 when it was in the window (yes a white dialled Daytona at rrp in an AD window). BUT, the new white dial ceramic Daytona to me is a beautiful watch, quite simply one of the best looking watches out there I believe. Clearly it’s a personal thing, but see it in person, handle that case, see the clarity of it all, it’s a watch to fall in love with. (but not for everyone obviously)
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 21st May 2020 at 14:13.

I used to own both the White and Black dial Daytona but decided I preferred the Black and let the White go, I think it’s a beautiful watch and I would never sell mine. I used to own the Zenith Daytona 16520 and the outgoing 116520 and liked those too, which I had kept them now....
    Last edited by shalako; 21st May 2020 at 18:27.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I've had the black ceramic Daytona and I think I sold it on after a couple of weeks.
    I found it difficult to read at a glance as it's quite busy with thin hands that dont have much contrast. Probably says more about my decreasing eyesight than the watch though. I expect the white would be easier to read from photographs but I prefer subs and gmts so dont count it as a huge loss. I prefer speedmasters.
    I agree with all of this. I love the aesthetic of the Speedy pro much more than the Daytona.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    The colour doesn’t change anything.
    The ceramic Daytona has been biggest disappointment to me watchwise.
    Loved it in photos but when I finally got it, it was really underwhelming. It looked and felt like a toy. And the 12.000€ list price felt like it was 4.000€ overpriced.
    Yup....agree.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I'm not in any position to offer any meaningful thoughts on the Daytona, but I noted the OPs slight derogatory comparison to a Seiko. I am not a Seiko fan boy but do own a sumo, along with a Tudor, an Omega and a Tissot and I've had a ceramic sub before and a steinhart. I tend to think generally you need to look very hard to visually see more quality in a £7k+ watch then a £500 watch, particularly when new. We are paying a great deal for the brand and how it makes us feel and I had thought they this was a particularly large draw of the Daytona as a Rolex sport/pro flagship. So interesting to see the OP isn't bonding just because it's a Daytona but is actually looking past that. Not sure I would!
    These are very good musings. You are exactly right...I feel like I SHOULD like it but in reality I don’t.

I have little interest in Daytona's and have turned down many dealer offers over the years and have almost always been met with astonishment. But from reading quite a few threads over the years, I think Daytona's and Nautilus models seem to have the most disappointment for various reasons.

Master
    Most overrated watch on all time for me.

Master
    Relative to the vintage Daytona they are hugely underrated

Master
    I just think the ceramic bezel looks disproportionate. With the metal one, the watch looked, as suggested by others, quite subtle and, dare I say, “delicate”. I really like the look of the 116520 and predecessors although, in the flesh, my eyesight struggles to see the time - and forget the sub-dials!

It looks as if someone has stuck on a re-engraved bezel from a Deep Sea SD. It just clashes with the style of the watch (to me, anyway). If they had gone for something more Speedmaster proportioned, I think that would have worked.

As with various “grail” watches, the question is how many people would buy if they were freely available in AD windows?

Craftsman
    I’d buy a SS one, white dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It's a personal thing, I like the look of the stainless steel ones, but there is no way I'd pay the prices they are asking for them.

I quite like the black ceramic version, but would only buy one at list price. I'll be honest, I think I perfer the Speedmaster for a chrono anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Relative to the vintage Daytona they are hugely underrated

Barmy prices notwithstanding - starting from such a strong, well-proportioned look, how did Rolex so successfully manage to ugly-up every succeeding generation? And why?

The modern Daytona is the only Rolex that I really struggle to get excited about - although, as other posters have pointed out, the vintage ones are stunningly pretty. IMO everything post 1988 has been a total disappointment - bezel too chunky, dials far too busy. The current ceramic bezel variant just looks...cheap. I'm sure it's a terrific watch, but I don't lust after one.

In terms of modern chronographs which make me go weak at the knees, look no further than this...there's a delicateness and balance to the dial and bezel which just looks incredible to my eye:

Master

Rolex SS Ceramic Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Barmy prices notwithstanding - starting from such a strong, well-proportioned look, how did Rolex so successfully manage to ugly-up every succeeding generation? And why?
    Really, having handled the Newman in person, I think the modern are infinitely better and the vintage are true overrated. I don’t understand your comment re proportions either. Wouldn’t you say the pushers on the vintage look disproportionately large and in fact the moderns ones are better proportion? strange comment

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MeachamLake View Post
    The modern Daytona is the only Rolex that I really struggle to get excited about - although, as other posters have pointed out, the vintage ones are stunningly pretty. IMO everything post 1988 has been a total disappointment - bezel too chunky, dials far too busy. The current ceramic bezel variant just looks...cheap. I'm sure it's a terrific watch, but I don't lust after one.

In terms of modern chronographs which make me go weak at the knees, look no further than this...there's a delicateness and balance to the dial and bezel which just looks incredible to my eye:

Please tell me which speed master refinance this is
    Its stunning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always the full spectrum of views with watches which is what makes it so interesting. IMO this genuinely is one of the best looking watches ever made and one of the most iconic too.

Here is a white dialled one on my 7.25-7.5 wrist. To me it looked neither small nor underwhelming?

Last edited by tz-uk73; 22nd May 2020 at 19:49.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    White ceramic...no. Too Tagalike. Black ceramic, lovely. But too pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    White ceramic...no. Too Tagalike. Black ceramic, lovely. But too pricey.
    I’ve heard the black one compared to a tag-a-like but I just don’t see it. I think the quality and styling looks pure Rolex. The black looked amazing when I saw it but white still had the edge for me. This is a debate for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Please tell me which speed master refinance this is
    Its stunning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    CK-2998

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I’ve heard the black one compared to a tag-a-like but I just don’t see it. I think the quality and styling looks pure Rolex. The black looked amazing when I saw it but white still had the edge for me. This is a debate for eternity.
    Agreed. Sadly mine sits in the safe as still can’t wear a watch due to issues with my painful wrists but I still get enjoyment of ownership. It’s a cracker in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Really, having handled the Newman in person, I think the modern are infinitely better and the vintage are true overrated. I don’t understand your comment re proportions either. Wouldn’t you say the pushers on the vintage look disproportionately large and in fact the moderns ones are better proportion? strange comment
    It seems we disagree on a matter of subjective opinion. No point me wasting time explaining the many and varied ways that you are wrong...

Master

Rolex SS Ceramic Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    It seems we disagree on a matter of subjective opinion. No point me wasting time explaining the many and varied ways that you are wrong...
    Please explain the wide and varied ways you think the 37mm Daytona with the small dial given the bezel and very wide spacing sub dials (like a speedy reduced) is proportionally better? Or you cannot be bothered now

I'm seduced by the Daytona in photos, but in real life underwhelmed by its size and difficulty to easily read the time at a glance

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I’m expecting to be shot down here, but I have a ceramic SS Daytona (black dial) and it’s among the most disappointing watches I own. I’ve had it three years and I’ve worn it less than 10 times. Something about the ceramic bezel and the sub-dial rings has the feeling of a Seiko about it. I’m desperate to fall in love with it but no connection so far. It took me a lot of effort to get one at retail and I therefore I feel a strange compulsion not to sell it. Thoughts? I’m currently thinking about swapping it for one with a white dial....

Obviously as it's 2nd hand and worn it'd have to be at a discount but I'll buy it from you. How about £5k?

Craftsman
    Bought my white dial Daytona back in 2003 followed two years later by a black dial .

I wear the white dial version from time to time , but I’ve never worn the black dialled one at all , just can’t get away with it , so it remains locked away.

I’ve never seen a ceramic one in the flesh to compare so Cant really comment , but saying that it’s interesting reading others comments including the opinion that it looks like a TH , also hard to read , both hard to disagree with.

I’ve got one on order , I’ll make my mind up when it eventually comes into stock.

Craftsman
    Always thought my Speedmaster had a resemblance to Daytona

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegeorgy View Post
    To my eye, the bezel on the Speedmaster looks far better proportioned.

Loved this range - really nice. I like the silver dial version in particular. Is this 42mm or 44mm?

Quote Originally Posted by MeachamLake View Post

Oh yes!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

I'm not really a speedy guy, but that is gorgeous. The contrast on the dial is really appealing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    I would look out for a white dial Zenith Daytona. IMO these are the best looking of the modern models. And roughly in the same ball park without papers.

M
    I have a white dial zenith and love it. Worth trying one on and comparing. Agree with this , without papers will be similar money.

Love a Daytona