closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone had THE call

Master
    Yeah I have already spoke to wos head office and they have said to call them when I receive the email to confirm. I did get a call just before lock down but they couldn’t secure it then.

What would have to go to make room would be

Air king unused or both my gmt Tudor and super ocean heritage 42 green bezel

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    Yeah I have already spoke to wos head office and they have said to call them when I receive the email to confirm. I did get a call just before lock down but they couldn’t secure it then.

What would have to go to make room would be

Air king unused or both my gmt Tudor and super ocean heritage 42 green bezel

Just buy it whichever you can
    sit on it and decide what you want to do with it..
    Despite what the mongers of doom say these are Not going anywhere near RRP anytime soon..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    good afternoon all...

anyone seen this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN6Ih2ECBJA Paul Thorpe and David Khalil

Thanks

Ernie

Just my two-penneth but I can't say I'd be comfortable paying upfront for something that I have no idea when (if) it's coming. A small deposit maybe.

In addition, who really knows how financially sound any organisation is (shares in Northern Rock anybody?). There's every chance that the company could fold, taking your money with it and be sure you'd be well down the creditors list.

I know you could pay with your credit card but I don't know how long any protection on a purchase lasts.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I had the opportunity of a new 114060 from an AD the other year but when I saw it the dial markers, bezel and rehaut were all misaligned.
    For this reason I simply wouldn’t part with my money without actually seeing the product in the metal.

If I could get watch in hand, I would now still pay RRP on the steel models that I wanted.

Paynow, pick up... whenever????? No thank you.

Master
    I shall wait to see what the actual email says in it in regards to payment etc. My worry is that it is a scam, not whether WoS is going to going to file for bankruptcy soon.

Master
    WOS most recently filed accounts don’t make for comforting reading. The last ‘going concern’ statement expires in a couple of weeks.

Apr 16, 2020

HK Rolex ADs Selling Direct to Secondhand Dealers!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnpdMSaFW5A

The overheads on their prime location stores must be crippling. Perhaps they are getting a rent and rates holiday, but perhaps they aren't. Even if I had the money it would not be a risk I would be willing to take, but we all manage risk differently. I will happily be proven wrong. Best of luck to those that risk your money. It still seems shoddy the way Rolex customers are treated though, but I suppose it is a take it or leave it choice. No-one has to play the game.

Blog Entries
    This whole pay upfront shenanigans has alarm bells ringing to me and can only see it ending in disaster. At best I imagine WoS will continue to play theor silly games, when they open they miraculousy won't have the watch available citing Rolex being closed as the reason and we all know what the worst will be. If I get the call I won't be parting with a penny upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Just my two-penneth but I can't say I'd be comfortable paying upfront for something that I have no idea when (if) it's coming. A small deposit maybe.

In addition, who really knows how financially sound any organisation is (shares in Northern Rock anybody?). There's every chance that the company could fold, taking your money with it and be sure you'd be well down the creditors list.

I know you could pay with your credit card but I don't know how long any protection on a purchase lasts.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Six years.

Pay 50% now and when we come out of this and open you can pay the other 50% and collect your watch.
    Who says they will still be in business in 21,28,48 days time.
    What claim will you have? Unsecured creditor, i.e. little or none. You might have a claim against your credit card company if you pay that way.
    Extreme caution is the order of the day, I say.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I don’t see this being a problem, you are paying upfront for a watch which is allocated to you from stock and you will get a receipt with the stock no and model along with the store ID you will be collecting from.

You are only offered a watch by the AD which they have secured to sell.

I’m pretty sure that if you pay 50% on a credit card, you would be refunded if the company ceased trading. Happy to be corrected if wrong. There is no real risk in this situation

D

Master

GMT ROOT BEER

Ive had 2 phone calls since Saturday about the GMT Root Beer if i want it and the same as others 50% deposit and rest on collection., to be honest I think they’re stunning watches but I’m just not sure whether to get it as it’s at the back of my mind wearing something like this and the attention it brings .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    Ive had 2 phone calls since Saturday about the GMT Root Beer if i want it and the same as others 50% deposit and rest on collection., to be honest I think they’re stunning watches but I’m just not sure whether to get it as it’s at the back of my mind wearing something like this and the attention it brings .
    I also had the call about this one. A friend did too.

This certainly must be one they have been holding back in the safe.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I’m pretty sure that if you pay 50% on a credit card, you would be refunded if the company ceased trading. Happy to be corrected if wrong. There is no real risk in this situation
    That's what I've been wondering. Can anyone confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

Same here, wonder if it's the same one doing the rounds until someone bites

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    That's what I've been wondering. Can anyone confirm that?
    Money saving expert confirms that this is true. But would you want the headache of having to go through s75 reclaim?

More I read about Aurum more I feel they must be in real trouble and trying to grab cash from wherever they can.

Major retail locations with major rents. Cannot be easy to get through this situation.

I also hear they have furloughed most showroom staff except for 1 or 2 per branch who are probably the unfortunate ones making these calls.
    Last edited by Boss13; 17th April 2020 at 23:39.

So were you and your friend both on the list for this and both turned it down?

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    How does that work, screams scam to me?
    We don’t know when or if shops are opening, how are these folk paying for watches to stay protected?
    CC would provide some but unsure about no delivery date tbc?
    Exactly. If the jeweller goes bust you will find it significantly more difficult to get your money back out

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    So were you and your friend both on the list for this and both turned it down?
    Not on list for it. Just a previous customer. Yes...turned it down. Same case for my friend who is in a different part of the country.

Also mentioned they have a Deep Sea in stock when they called me.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I gave Goldsmiths a declaration of interest for a BLRO GMT 6 months ago. I’m not expecting THE call, but if I did, a big part of me would hesitate, as in many ways it is a “homage” to the 16710 BLRO. I think what I really want is a realignment if 16710 prices. Modern Rolex are very good watches, but “phat” and a bit blingy

D

I think phat is a good all encompassing term for 6 digit Rolex. A bit chunky, and a bit bling. I do enjoy my 114060 for that reason though and I think everyone needs a phat watch of some kind.

If prices do realign I think the modern iteration would fall faster than the now often vintage 16710. Assuming equal condition, in the flesh most people would opt for the 16710 over a 126710. It fits better, it’s lighter, you can swap the bezels out with a cheese knife, it works with 3rd party straps...

On topic - If I got Calls now I would not take the risk, we don’t know how long all this is going to last and even safe jobs can and will disappear. It puts things into perspective I suppose. My view is protect the things that really matter, and there will be watches aplenty when the economy recovers anyway.

Craftsman
    My friend had a call for sub date from another smaller chain of ADs yesterday. He had to pay in full and he's waiting till they reopen to collect although surprisingly they did offer to send. He's over the moon. Knowing him I think this was a brave decision.
    Last edited by Gerald Genta; 18th April 2020 at 07:59.

Master
    I would imagine there is a chance they may have stopped paying the rents. The government announced a few weeks ago that commercial tenants shouldn’t be evicted if they couldn’t pay the rents. I know someone that rents commercial properties to some huge companies (major coffee chain and major clothes shop) and both wrote to him saying they weren’t paying the rent for the foreseeable future. One of them went on to detail that they employ over 10,000, that there fixed costs were over 10 mill a month and that even furloughing all their staff and not paying rents, they would still be losing x million a month and could go bankrupt. This letter was sent to hundreds of landlords apparently.

As for the credit card scenario, yes you are covered which is why it’s best to pay that way. However, who knows how enforceable this will be in the current climate. Imagine the claims credit card companies could be dealing with from the travel industry alone right now and whether they would survive if things don’t start improving soon. We have 6 tickets booked for Sting in Vegas on 6th June - Caesar’s Palace emailed us to ‘postpone’ the show to a future date. By not cancelling and postponing they don’t have to offer a refund apparently, though there is zero chance all 6 of us would be able to go together in the future. My mate tried our credit card company and they didn’t want to know. Took over an hour to get through and then fobbed off. They must be dealing with tens of thousands of these cases.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    My friend had a call for sub date from another smaller chain of ADs yesterday. He had to pay in full and he's waiting till they reopen to collect although surprisingly they did offer to send. He's over the moon. Knowing him I think this was a brave decision.
    I’d have wanted it sent ASAP. A lot can happen in the next 3 weeks, or 4 weeks, maybe 5.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’d have wanted it sent ASAP. A lot can happen in the next 3 weeks, or 4 weeks, maybe 5.
    Agreed. I tried to give him some sensible advice without completely dampening his mood.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Wow I had the CALL this morning - I’m ecstatic!!

Wife called me to say she’s managed to pick up some bread flour!

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    I don’t see this being a problem, you are paying upfront for a watch which is allocated to you from stock and you will get a receipt with the stock no and model along with the store ID you will be collecting from.

You are only offered a watch by the AD which they have secured to sell.

Good luck trying to get the watch from the creditors hands if the company goes under.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Good luck trying to get the watch from the creditors hands if the company goes under.
    That’s my understanding, usually you pay deposit, they deliver in the following days or you call in to collect any problems you are covered.
    Now, you pay no idea when watch will arrive, shops not open, no confirmed postage & is a third party involved.
    IF company goes tits up you are in a long queue to get any recompense.
    Every week that goes by the company’s position becomes weaker.

Companies one should be very wary of giving money to atm are those that are so desperate that they're reduced to selling promises by phone. They wouldn't be doing this if they didn't have to, and the fact that they have to is a big ?

If I get a call, which I very much doubt as I’m literally not even on the ladder I won’t be parting with my money unless they post it out to me.

Personally, I’m very wary of what they are doing. If they really wanted to sell the watch and given the extraordinary times I can’t see why they can’t change their policies to post.

Cynical view maybe but to me it looks very much like a revenue raising exercise to inject some much needed cash, if they come through the other end I wouldn’t be surprised if the watch is no longer available and monies refunded. If they don’t come through then they’ll have kept going for a few days more using the customers money.

Lastly, where have all these watches miraculously turned up from, again I can’t believe they had these in their safes, there are plenty of high profile, high spending people out there so having stocks of popular models just doesn’t ring with me.

Not on list for it. Just a previous customer. Yes...turned it down. Same case for my friend who is in a different part of the country.

Also mentioned they have a Deep Sea in stock when they called me.
    Interesting, sounds like they have gone through the list of people that specifically registered for that watch and are now calling previous customers?

Master
    The chap said it was a revenue raising plan. I am not willing to pay thr full amount without delivery

Cynical view maybe but to me it looks very much like a revenue raising exercise to inject some much needed cash, if they come through the other end I wouldn’t be surprised if the watch is no longer available and monies refunded. If they don’t come through then they’ll have kept going for a few days more using the customers money.
    I could buy into that thinking.

If I get a call, which I very much doubt as I’m literally not even on the ladder I won’t be parting with my money unless they post it out to me.

Personally, I’m very wary of what they are doing. If they really wanted to sell the watch and given the extraordinary times I can’t see why they can’t change their policies to post.

Lastly, where have all these watches miraculously turned up from, again I can’t believe they had these in their safes, there are plenty of high profile, high spending people out there so having stocks of popular models just doesn’t ring with me.
    If it’s Rolex you are on one of those imaginary lists for then I believe they will not post out any items and all purchases have to be collected in store..

Craftsman
    Personally would love to get the call for a Pepsi, even given the risk, but I'm nowhere near the history of most clients.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Rolex ADs in the UK won’t post Rolex watches. It’s against their agreement.
    Really? Such arrogance!!! Well, it may shock Rolex AD’s to know that currently their customers don’t really give a single flying *uck about their precious ‘agreement’! I suggest in the current climate, Rolex AD’s (given their generally shabby past treatment of customers) will find their historical arrogance coming back to bite them royally and deservedly in the arse!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Really? Such arrogance!!! Well, it may shock Rolex AD’s to know that currently their customers don’t really give a single flying *uck about their precious ‘agreement’! I suggest in the current climate, Rolex AD’s (given their generally shabby past treatment of customers) will find their historical arrogance coming back to bite them royally and deservedly in the arse!
    If they have a contractual agreement with Rolex which forbids distance selling, then it isn’t arrogance to stock to the agreement. They’ll probably sell all the ‘hot’ stock with people happy to pay and wait so why would they take on all the risks involved with shipping?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Been telephoned a couple of times over the last couple of weeks by Laings, informing me of their Pre owned watch sale and that they had some Rolex professional models in the lineup. Overpriced dealer inventory and looking at the stock levels with the sale now finished, appears they sold Fk all of anything.
    Same story always. Discounts virtually non existent on new stock, and second hand stock priced higher than Watchfinder

Cynical view maybe but to me it looks very much like a revenue raising exercise to inject some much needed cash, if they come through the other end I wouldn't be surprised if the watch is no longer available and monies refunded. If they don't come through then they'll have kept going for a few days more using the customers money.
    Not too unlike the occasional SC payday loans we have here sometimes.

Apprentice

I had the call the other day update

I had the call on Wednesday and I said I will think about it so on Friday about six o’clock I got a call back about the sea dweller and I declined the offer I just couldn’t justify paying 50% upfront and waiting for the shop to open not knowing when that would be so I said sorry.

Craftsman
    I haven’t looked into it but would have thought that it may be better to pay for the item in full - this might then be treated as your property which is being held on trust and not form part of the bankruptcy estate. FAOD this does not constitute nor is it it intended to be advice

A buyer would come along well before a big chain jeweller goes bust. Lots of wishful thinking in here that big ADs are totally done / on the ropes / the tables have turned

It might just be business as usual when doors open again...

Master
    I got my email confirmation and I have five days to pay for the watch. It asking for the full amount

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    A buyer would come along well before a big chain jeweller goes bust. Lots of wishful thinking in here that big ADs are totally done / on the ropes / the tables have turned

It might just be business as usual when doors open again...

I’m glad someone is displaying some sense. WOS could quite easily close down stores and cut back before they would need to go into administration. It’s not the same business model as a big high street store.

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I got my email confirmation and I have five days to pay for the watch. It asking for the full amount

Put it on a credit card and relax.

Craftsman

Express waiting list

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Companies one should be very wary of giving money to atm are those that are so desperate that they're reduced to selling promises by phone. They wouldn't be doing this if they didn't have to, and the fact that they have to is a big ?

I have a feeling that there is going to be a lot of disappointment when this WOS money grab unravels. Do the watches the salesperson on the other end of the phone who has probably been told to get some sales or lose their job exist or as the Paul Thorpe Video highlights the now “Express waiting list” is what you will find you have bought into with your 50% deposit.

Are WOS going to roll out the excuses when you go to pick up your watch, just to find that someone before you was willing to buy some two tone datejusts as well as the James Cameron and your allocation no longer exists but let us keep your deposit and we can get you one in a year. Or the salesperson has sold the same watch over the phone to 200 different buyers etc. Is this deposit refundable if they do not supply the supposedly available watch immediately or does it become a credit note.

Maybe all the watches are in the safe but I have not had Tods phoning me this week asking if I wanted to secure some loafers, just appears to be a pretty out of the blue desperate action by WOS.

Journeyman
    maybe ask for a photo in hand and a newspaper with the days date like a hostage proof of life photo?