closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Getting a (French bull)dog

Craftsman

Getting a (French bull)dog

Evening all!

For the last 3 years my better half has banged on about getting a French bulldog. I’ve successfully fended it off so far, but it seems being locked in a house with me has crystallised her desire for a happy yappy 3rd wheel, and I’m relenting.

Does anyone have any advice on where to get a Frenchie from and what to avoid? Neither of us have had a dog before, so thought not a puppy would be a good start. We can both work from home a couple of days a week (or full time it seems!) and her mums also round the corner and apparently on board so hopefully it shouldn’t spend much time alone.

While I’d rather a dire wolf, she is extremely set on a French bulldog, so I’d really appreciate any recommendations of potential clubs/charities/sites that are worth speaking to or useful kit/advice for looking after the beast.

Thanks,
    Jon

Master
    Get yourself a shelter dog. Don’t even start off thinking of a specific breed. Mind you, one good starting point would be to borrow a friend’s dog, if possible for a day or a weekend even and see how you get along with the responsibility.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Get yourself a shelter dog. Don’t even start off thinking of a specific breed. Mind you, one good starting point would be to borrow a friend’s dog, if possible for a day or a weekend even and see how you get along with the responsibility.
    This.
    There are so many respectable rehoming charities and so many dogs who need someone to take care of them. Dogs Trust, Spaniel Aid, Wood Green etc. Although some aren't rehoming at the moment because of current restrictions it could well be worth waiting a bit.

If you really must buy a puppy ensure the breeder is Kennel club approved or recommended. There are many puppy farms and puppies smuggled from mainland Europe (mostly Eastern Europe) and the poor pups can have many health issues and problems. Also you are lining the pockets of unscrupulous and cruel breeders. Never buy from anywhere except a home where you can see the mother (and father preferably) and you're satisfied it's a 'real' family home not a front.

Sorry to sound like I'm lecturing but if you aren't careful it can lead to a lot of heartache.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Also, bear in mind that you will not be in lockdown for ever: what will happen to the dog when life is back to normal?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Got ours from ‘for the love of our frenchies’ dot net. They are a charity specifically for the rescue of Frenchies. Great little dog, wouldn’t be without her now.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    This.
    There are so many respectable rehoming charities and so many dogs who need someone to take care of them. Dogs Trust, Spaniel Aid, Wood Green etc. Although some aren't rehoming at the moment because of current restrictions it could well be worth waiting a bit.

If you really must buy a puppy ensure the breeder is Kennel club approved or recommended. There are many puppy farms and puppies smuggled from mainland Europe (mostly Eastern Europe) and the poor pups can have many health issues and problems. Also you are lining the pockets of unscrupulous and cruel breeders. Never buy from anywhere except a home where you can see the mother (and father preferably) and you're satisfied it's a 'real' family home not a front.

Sorry to sound like I'm lecturing but if you aren't careful it can lead to a lot of heartache.
    Not much to add as Oaky's pretty much nailed it, unscrupulous breeders have been known to 'rent a house' in order to appear like a trustworthy family, so extreme caution.
    Having lost our much loved terrier last year we'll be ready to share our home again once this bloody virus has run it's course, and a rescue mutt will again be our choice.
    Last edited by number2; 25th March 2020 at 17:43.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Terlingfair Kennels, Marks Tey, Essex. The owner used to live near me and we used the kennels for our dog, they used to breed British and French bull dogs, not sure if they still do but they’ve been there for years so a reliable place to start. They are bang smack on the A12 about a mile south bound after Marks Tey.

We have 2. Delightful dogs. There's good advice in the previous posts.

Grand Master
    I have two French bulldogs and also a daughter who works in the veterinary practice as a nurse. The best advice I can possibly give regarding this breed that has become increasingly popular over the years is to make sure that you do your homework. Do not buy one that is anything outside of the standard colours Black and Tan, fawn, and pied. The other colours that are becoming increasingly popular were bred out as they were found to be very problematic in terms of allergies and other skin related problems. The general health of the standard colours is probably the best it will be.

The next thing to consider is the physical shape of the dog and there seems to be a trend whereby people are trying to get them to be slightly more Hench in the shoulders and have flatter faces this is clearly not good for the breed who already have a lot of bad press regarding their brachial problems. Yes they can be slightly problematic however a good selection as a puppy will insure that you have no or very minimal problems during the life of that dog.

The dogs are wonderfully entertaining they were originally bred as lapdogs and used by the lace workers in Nottingham who then sort work in France in the lace Mills because of their experience and took the dogs with them.

One of your biggest considerations has to be the financial cost of these dogs currently despite being linked to the veterinary world and knowing all of the associated risks I pay £180 a month just to insure mine on a gold standard insurance policy. Now when you going to the price comparison sites there will be lots of offers on there and you’ll think oh it’s not really that much however trust me the cost will rise and you will will 100% have to take that dog to the vets for some reason at some point in its life and make a claim.

you may also want to consider the purpose of the dog. If the dog is to provide you with exercise and to get you outdoors then you may be slightly disappointed. French bulldogs are incredibly active but they don’t do well in any temperature over about 16°. Which kind of limits all of yours long summer walking activities.

on a final note the only thing I can say is without doubt they are the most beautiful dogs to own previously I had Weimaraner‘s which again were incredible animals but chalk and cheese in terms of ownership. I am sure that if you are an educated person with a reasonable knowledge of dogs you will be absolutely fine. I would suggest reading the dog listener by John fennel however French bulldogs do not comply to any form of training they are completely retarded but that’s the true beauty of them they have love they have warmth and they are the most comedic dogs out there.
    RIAC

Master
    We have 3 french bulldogs !

Can only echo what people have said below get them from a legit breeder and insurance them up.

One of ours needed a hysterectomy out of the blue ( 2 years old no births ) and one of the boys ran full pelt into the chair and fractured his neck.

Note they really struggle on hot days and you wont be able to take them out, their breathing sometimes genuinely makes me sad listening to them try to catch their breath.

If i had my time again id get a dog from the shelter and a mix breed.

They are the current trendy dogs but unless you simply want a comical looking lapdog I would avoid.

Lots of health problems with BAOS dogs so insurance/vet bills will be large.

Show your wife this...

https://www.ufaw.org.uk/dogs/french-...syndrome-baos-
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

We have a female. Amazing dogs, I'd classify the personality as 'really funny but also a bit of a tw@t'. I mean that in a nice way. Fellow Frenchie owners will know what I mean. It's like having a belligerent clown at home. A farting clown at that.

Echo the comments around proper breeder and factor in at least £75 a month for insurance as in the wild these would be extinct.

Here is our 'Dolly' defeating the Coronavirus

Haha - dogs that cost £1500 to buy, then nearly £1000 a year to insure plus another few hundred on food etc. Just like their Moncler jacket wearing owners, I also find they are a bit chavtastic

I am sure totally normal pre-Coronavirus, but just like spending £600 per month for PCP on a premium 4x4, demand will drop like a stone.

Buy a cheeky scruffy dog from the rescue centre.

Grand Master
    What a beautifully judgemental thread this has begun to spiral into, will we put it down to isolation blues
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    French bulldogs do not comply to any form of training they are completely retarded but that’s the true beauty of them they have love they have warmth and they are the most comedic dogs out there.
    Kerry, I think you’ve summed up what my partner sees in frenchies, and (more worryingly) possibly what I see in her

Thanks for all the comments, which is really helpful, and especially the long comments from owners.

We’re not looking for a puppy - as first time owners we thought it would be better starting with an older dog from a rescue centre. Not sure if that’s a daft attitude but seems to make sense to us. Also the little we’ve read about disreputable breeders sounds really grim.

We’ve babysat my brothers lab for a number of long weekends so feel we’ve got an idea of what full time ownership entails - though first looked after her at 10 weeks old and that was a nightmare!

No real purpose other than having a dog to love - other half just melts every time we see someone else’s and just wants one herself. We like popping out for a walk locally, but also have a garden if it’s too hot (16 really isn’t that hot though!).

She’s pretty set on a frenchie. If it’s anything like watches she can try getting any old rescue dog first, but then we’ll just end up with two dogs!

And she loved your photo Ryan

Grand Master
    Drop me a PM I know an exceptionally well
    Established breeder in Brighton who runs a Frenchie Meet also and occasionally will have dogs that need rehoming. Basically she stands by any she sells for life if they need it

Best isolation gang ever.
    RIAC

A few photos of mine to convince your other half.

Master
    I would imagine that a breed club, such as http://www.frenchbulldogclubofengland.org.uk/ would have a re-home and rescue section who would be able to advise you how to re-home an older dog. Just be aware that most rehomes will probably come with health/behavioural issues (Mrs Beanie does the rehome for the ISCGB). Expect to complete a questionnaire and be home visited to asses your suitability and that of your home. They may ask if you have visited a dog in their home/what experience you have of the breed. It may sound like you having to jump through hoops, but the dog has to go to the right home, or it won't fit and everybody will be unhappy. If you can give a dog a new home, it's a really rewarding experience, just go in with your eyes open.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice (and photos!). We’re happy jumping through hoops, have very little experience so it’s all to the good.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A lot of great advice above with most bases covered, so I can’t really add to it. They are truly wonderful little dogs(even though ours is prob the largest in the U.K.)

If you like a laugh(and a wee bit of a tear) Read the blog my mrs started on ours. He ran into a greenhouse and died on the spot, we got him to resus and he lived. He was in most of the papers.

Facebook: lil_lord_louis