closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it Art , or is it Arse ??

this is why art degrees are essentially worthless , you can pretty much S*** on a piece of paper and hand it in ( gilbert and george ) .
    there are some very talented artists out there but imo things like this should not be put under the same umbrella -yes they may be interesting in some other way (banksy ) which people will give a value to but i would not say theres any /much skill involved.

At this rate, this part of the forum will need to be re-named 'Pseud's Corner'.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    I would not say theres any /much skill involved.
    Like most desk jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Tee Heee....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Also most art works are usually part of a wider body of work,
    The rest of this one is still in the till.

Heck yes, proud to be British at moments like this. It's sole "merit" seems to be it makes fuddy-duddies like me "froth", apparently, whatever that is.

We went into a gallery/museum in Santorini. There was a beautifully crafted ibex made in gold, gorgeous little piece it was, made my visit.

Visitors from Greece come into Tate Modern and see.... a til receipt. Go figure, as they might say over the pond. It's just an embarrassment.

What if it were a gold till receipt in the shape of an ibex, would that be art?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    What if it were a gold till receipt in the shape of an ibex, would that be art?
    It would definitely be a start

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    this is why art degrees are essentially worthless , you can pretty much S*** on a piece of paper and hand it in ( gilbert and george ) .
    there are some very talented artists out there but imo things like this should not be put under the same umbrella -yes they may be interesting in some other way (banksy ) which people will give a value to but i would not say theres any /much skill involved.

Modern art's job is to provoke reaction, to get the viewer to think, to comment on society, or just to do something that hasn't been done before. Skill, or ability with a paintbrush doesn't really matter. Every A level or degree show has some artists with immense skill who can paint and draw something in front of them with incredible precision, but is that art anymore worthwhile? Skills can be taught and learned. Original, intellectual and creative thinking less so.

Is it Art , or is it Arse ??

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Modern art's job is to provoke reaction, to get the viewer to think, to comment on society, or just to do something that hasn't been done before. Skill, or ability with a paintbrush doesn't really matter. Every A level or degree show has some artists with immense skill who can paint and draw something in front of them with incredible precision, but is that art anymore worthwhile? Skills can be taught and learned. Original, intellectual and creative thinking less so.
    I can see the worth of original creative thinking and that the piece in question has some merit and does fulfil your criteria but what people struggle with is the word art. If it were just called something else!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I can see the worth of original creative thinking and that the piece in question has some merit and does fulfil your criteria but what people struggle with is the word art. If it were just called something else!
    Perfect suggestion in the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Perfect suggestion in the thread title.
    Knew someone would suggest similar but not what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    It would definitely be a start
    Sounds like for some of us, the creativity needs to be in the execution. For others, it can be in the concept.

I haven't studied this so I may be talking out of my art.

I agree Chris.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    There's no controversy. Just two distinct camps of people, those who can recognise garbage when they see it and those gullible enough to believe this is art.
    Interesting.

Also of course impossible to do with art.

For example, I think Banksy's are a load of old rubbish. A chap makes some stencils then turns up at a wall and sprays over them. They are then worth millions?

People even buy prints of his work.

Of course many people enjoy his work and pay a huge amount for it and others think it is simplistic drivel.

So is it garbage or not?

As and as I originally wrote, (which you chose to ignore and just quote me out of context) what of Warhol, Kandinsky, Mondrian, Pollock et al?

Garbage only for those gullible enough to believe it is art?

Art can be anything that somebody wants to use to get across an abstract idea or concept. If it works or not is entirely up to the viewer.

A still life, landscape or portrait is far easier for most people to understand as they just portray reality.

Abstract art of any kind is usually a bit more challenging.

If you don't like it just move along, as I do.

-
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Can anything be art?

Master
    I achieved a grade 1 pass in art GCE many moons ago. Does that now mean that I can get a job on the tills at the Coop? Don't forget my "divi" luv!

Title: Work2

Smile

^IMHO, that has more creativity than the till receipt, sean. The concept does actually work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Have you got it in blue?

Title: Work3

Awaiting your bank details.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Ha ha ha ha! Oh yes!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    My till receipts are on display in my bin,then go on tour in the bin wagon every other Wednesday.

Master
    https://www.mostyn.org/exhibitions

I went along to the above exhibitions yesterday I saw Tsuchiya, Camoni and Smith.

Camoni was similar to Emmin, Tsuchiya seemed detached from reality and Smith was very dark and depressing but I did like one piece...ish.

I guess this makes me unappreciative...................there you go.

B

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post

Awaiting your bank details.
    Genuinely impressed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    A veritable masterpiece now on display at Tate Modern...
    Given that the work was apparently created in 1999 and purchased by the gallery in 2009, but the items were purchased from the Co-Op on 23rd July 2019 (according to the till receipt) I'd say there's some multi-level meta japery going on here that both transcends and blurs the traditional boundaries of "is it art?" and "is 'e 'avin' a laff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Given that the work was apparently created in 1999 and purchased by the gallery in 2009, but the items were purchased from the Co-Op on 23rd July 2019 (according to the till receipt) I'd say there's some multi-level meta japery going on here that both transcends and blurs the traditional boundaries of "is it art?" and "is 'e 'avin' a laff?"

Well spotted that man, I think I need to contact them about this deception. will report back.

I fart in your general direction. Why have a Picasso when you can have a Michelangelo

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Clearly the original is far too valuable to put on display (bit like those bricks I referred to earlier)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I fart in your general direction. Why have a Picasso when you can have a Michelangelo

Spies exhibition at Science Museum ? I liked the LEGO GCHQ model....

Spies exhibition at Science Museum ? I liked the LEGO GCHQ model....
    Yes. Apparently they got into trouble with Lego over it because they 3D printed some of their own bricks.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Remember those controversial bricks all those years ago that cost a small fortune? Well, I went to look at them out of curiosity and had a chat with an attendant who disclosed the bricks on show were not the originals! They were all stored away in individually velvet lined boxes in a vault because they were so valuable! Unbelievable, but true.
    I picked up some bricks from a local house build and placed them on display in the apartment... They didn't last long

Apparently my interpritation of art differs to the missus.

Well spotted that man, I think I need to contact them about this deception. will report back.
    Tate e-mailed, awaiting a response...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    A case of the Emperors new clothes, viewed and fawned over by halfwits. In fact that's an injustice to halfwits....
    Completely agree. It all seems too easy. Art should be a labour of love, not a concept dreamed up one afternoon at the self scan till.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post

I like that.

What have you called it?

May I suggest... 'Deposit for a House' ?

Come on, it has to have an esoteric name to attract decent money. How about:

Phyllosilicate Triptych (2019)
    A satirical condemnation of the patriarchy. Composed towards the end of the artist's life, it represents a trinity of nihilistic capitalist structures using organic material garnered from Iceni burial mounds.

Tate e-mailed, awaiting a response...
    Their response, more arse, I think..http://https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/floyer-monochrome-till-receipt-white-t12894

Craftsman
    Anybody got a recent UK AD till receipt for a Daytona? Must be worth a small fortune and the Tate would probably be daft enough to pay for it if you tell them how rare it is ;)

Work4

From that link:

Floyer has compared the ongoing versions of Monochrome Till Receipt and its art historical associations to her works such as Nail Biting Performance 2001, where the artist bit her fingernails for five minutes on stage in front of a live audience at Birmingham’s Symphony Hall,

I bet the audience were thrilled with that.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Its arse, art is a funny game and I publish artwork

Work5

This was the best one of all time. Whoever bought this may be incredibly rich but I have seen smarter goldfish...

An abstract painting by New York artist Barnett Newman that features a field of blue paint crossed by a ragged white line sold last night for $43.8 million

Master
    Modern art's job is to provoke reaction, to get the viewer to think, to comment on society, or just to do something that hasn't been done before....
    Maybe, but I think the main purpose of modern art is to create something that a subset of society, an elite if you will, can agree is worth appreciating while excluding everyone else. It's aim is to make you think react etc. only if you have already the correct cultural background to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    This was the best one of all time. Whoever bought this may be incredibly rich but I have seen smarter goldfish...

An abstract painting by New York artist Barnett Newman that features a field of blue paint crossed by a ragged white line sold last night for $43.8 million
    May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Yes. Apparently they got into trouble with Lego over it because they 3D printed some of their own bricks.
    Poor tradecraft to not create credible reference numbers and insert the details into the LEGO® master catalogue.

Ironic really that the “artist” paid good money for that receipt so we can see it for free. Whoopee. Who’s the mug now eh?