closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 111 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,550 of 8057

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    The marriage storey on Netflix is good.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Excellent acting, and shows how quickly things can escalate - good communication is key

I've seen it before but just heads up that superlative thriller 'Blue Ruin' is now available on Netflix.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I've seen it before but just heads up that superlative thriller 'Blue Ruin' is now available on Netflix.
    +1 for this, amazing film.

I also got round to watching Rocketman at the weekend. Not overly familiar with Elton John as I was born after the point which he had achieved international stardom, so growing up he was already something of an elevated caricature. I thought the film was excellent, blending his music with a very tough but ultimately uplifting story, it made me feel much warmer towards him. And Taron Egerton is a gem - a really gifted actor and destined for big things! Perhaps even an Oscar on this performance...

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Watched Chips yesterday afternoon, wasn't expecting much as I thought it would be a crappy remake of 80s stuff

I found it very funny in parts and easy to watch

Master
    Silver Linings Playbook.

DVD Rip - no DVD player in our house so I have to rip everything on my PC before hand.

2012 film by David Russell, the guy that did American Hustle; which we watched for the third or forth time last week.

Has some of the cast from American Hustle in it including Jennifer Lawrence who I find quite pleasing to the eye ;-)

Very similar type of humour as American Hustle.

I'm going to suggest an interesting one - "The Wandering Earth" (2019). It's on Netflix.

What makes it interesting is that it is a wholly Chinese made sci-fi blockbuster that has the same kind of production values and scale as a Hollywood movie - the visuals really are spectacular. The budget was huge by Chinese standards (and over 7000 people worked on the movie), but just look at the box office take!

I wouldn't claim it to be a good movie - but it is worth a watch our of curiosity and perhaps a portent of things to come.

When the sun dies out, the people of Earth build giant thrusters to move the planet out of orbit and sail to a new star system. After 2,500 years, young people continue the fight for everyone's survival.

Initial release: 5 February 2019 (USA)

Director: Frant Gwo

Chinese: 流浪地球

Box office: 699.8 million USD

Budget: 50 million USD

I'd be interested to hear what other TZ'ers make of it.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Time Bandits is on right now. The Robin Hood scene is classic comedy gold.
    And another version is coming to your TV screen...sometime...IMDb link.

Blog Entries
    Watched the John Wick trilogy over the last 3 nights - I've seen 1&2 before but since 3 was out on Netflix, thought I'd start from the beginning.

Still think #1 is the best - all this High Table and Rules malarkey spoilt, what IMHO was originally a pure and simple story.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Jojo Rabbit is brilliant. Far more of a drama than a comedy, but the comedy works to act as a perfect "coping mechanism" of sorts. Superbly done.
    Absolutely this. A fantastic film that was completely different to what I expected. But truly brilliant.

Journeyman
    Watched Le Man 66 (Ford Vs Ferrari) recently, which I enjoyed and would definitely recommend if that's your kind of thing.

Also went to see Guy Ritchie's new film "The Gentlemen". Not a masterpiece of cinematography (nor one for the Politically correct amongst you), but it certainly isn't as bad as some of the reviews seem to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Absolutely this. A fantastic film that was completely different to what I expected. But truly brilliant.
    The critics that I refer to gave it, at the best, a 3 star rating. I think that it deserves at least 4. There is much more going on in this film than I appreciated after my first viewing. Like you, I didn't know what to expect having only seen the trailer. It seems to have garnered better reviews in the the US than it has over here.

I found that the BBC's Lost Home Movies of Nazi Germany (link) provided some historical background (the first episode in particular).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Watched the John Wick trilogy over the last 3 nights - I've seen 1&2 before but since 3 was out on Netflix, thought I'd start from the beginning.

Still think #1 is the best - all this High Table and Rules malarkey spoilt, what IMHO was originally a pure and simple story.
    Don't you find it a bit monotonous after a while? More scenes with him getting shot/beaten up/stabbed but strangely still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by cfish2020 View Post
    Also went to see Guy Ritchie's new film "The Gentlemen". Not a masterpiece of cinematography (nor one for the Politically correct amongst you), but it certainly isn't as bad as some of the reviews seem to suggest.
    We LOVED it. Fortunately, I hadn’t seen the reviews in advance and found the film to be really good- very funny. You perhaps need a certain type of British humour to enjoy it the most. Snatch and lock stock fans should definitely watch it.

Hugh Grant was excellent and I never thought I’d say that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    We LOVED it. Fortunately, I hadn’t seen the reviews in advance and found the film to be really good- very funny. You perhaps need a certain type of British humour to enjoy it the most. Snatch and lock stock fans should definitely watch it.

I know what you mean about Hugh Grant as they were my very thoughts too!

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    The critics that I refer to gave it, at the best, a 3 star rating. I think that it deserves at least 4. There is much more going on in this film than I appreciated after my first viewing. Like you, I didn't know what to expect having only seen the trailer. It seems to have garnered better reviews in the the US than it has over here.

I found that the BBC's Lost Home Movies of Nazi Germany (link) provided some historical background (the first episode in particular).
    Thanks for those links, I'll have a view of those.

I'm a big fan of Taika Waititi and having seen the trailers, I loved his portrayal - but as you say, so much more going on and without giving spoilers, I just thought it was cleverly done too in how it portrayed the lead character

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Just brilliant, sassy, sharp-witted, action-packed fun. With some fit aliens

I'm not really into martial arts films but I've watch 2 decent examples of the genre recently. The first was Avengement which stars a British martial artist called Scott Adkins. It's on Netflix I think (it might be Prime though) & whilst it's definitely a B movie Adkins is absolutely terrific in it. The language is appalling (every other word is C U Next Tuesday) but the story's not bad & the fights are terrific.

I also watched The Raid recently. Quite an old film now (2011) but the choreography/fight scenes are incredible, I've seen it many times before but don't seem to get sick of it - it's superb & one of the first starring roles for Iko Uwais who is a stunning martial artist.

My wife & I went to see the new Star Wars film on New Years Eve - cinema was very quiet (no idea why!) so it was almost like our own private showing - & we both enjoyed it. A very good film we thought & we both enjoyed it very much. I'm into big dumb space opera's though so it suited me to the ground. The script's a bit suspect in places but the film moves pretty quickly (2hrs 20mins I think), there's plenty of action & some of the visuals/settings (even if they are all special effects) were stunning - the wild sea planet being a stand out moment for me.

I'm hoping to see 1917 tomorrow (no guarantees though) so will let you know what that's like if I go :)

Master
    Big fan of the Raid here too, the sequal isn't bad too. If you liked those then the Onk Bak series is worth a look. Story isnt great but the fight scenes and stunts are amazing.

I'll have to check out the Scott Adkins one you mention

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

PARASITE

What a film.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    PARASITE

What a film.
    Still listed as Coming Soon at my Picturehouse. It's on my list...and has been since I saw the trailer about 3 weeks ago.

Edit The UK seems to be a the bottom of the list of release dates...link.
    Last edited by PickleB; 10th January 2020 at 16:58.

Master
    I watched 'You Were Never Really Here' with Joachim Phoenix last night. What an utter pointless pos film. Total turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I watched 'You Were Never Really Here' with Joachim Phoenix last night. What an utter pointless pos film. Total turkey.
    This may be the wrong thread...see link.

Craftsman
    +1 for The Raid

Pre-kids I had an Unlimited membership for a few years and saw 3 or 4 films a week - sometimes I'd see 3 in a day! When I started doing that my tastes really developed and broadened. As I wasn't 'paying' for the ticket, I went and saw films I wouldn't previously have seen.

The Raid had subtitles and a low budget, which probably would've been a barrier for me previously - but I saw it on pre-release at a special screening and remember being utterly absorbed by every second of the film. It's brilliant.

The Raid 2 is a worthy successor and also features one of the coolest car chase scenes I think I've ever watched in a film - I've even watched a breakdown of how they filmed it on YouTube, really creative bit of film-making.

I highly recommend both, as they are now back on Netflix. If you like action and a decent story, this will quench your thirst.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post

I really liked The Man from U.N.C.L.E which also got very mixed reviews. Hugh Grant had only a few scenes in that film, but stole everyone he was in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post

Yep. I'd go a 7 or an 8/10. Very entertaining. I thought the tone was well balanced between the tragic and comedy.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Le Mans 66. Superb true story that I was not aware of. Amazing performances by all involved and especially interesting for anyone with an interest in motorsports or cars. One of my favs for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

another vote for guy richies new film 'the gentlemen ' , more of the usual but thats what hes good at and theres a few nods to other films in there (i had a flashback to the long good friday at one point :) )

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Just came back from watching 1917..... all I can say is go and see it. A superb film which keeps you engaged from start to finish.

Master
    Series: Der Pass.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6905756/
    Very atmospheric, excellent acting and unexpected plot twists. Plus, the setting is beautiful.

Mid90s on Netflix, directed by Jonah Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Just came back from watching 1917..... all I can say is go and see it. A superb film which keeps you engaged from start to finish.

Can't wait to see this!

Blog Entries
    I watched this tonight...

..worth a viewing IMHO

z

Journeyman
    2 films similar theme. The Irish man and kill the Irish man. Mafiosa films. Superb.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Seconded.

Blog Entries
    Nope.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Yesterday was a decent watch last night. Funny in a few places and obviously a decent sound track.
    Nice film for a Saturday night in.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I watched this tonight...

..worth a viewing IMHO

z
    The Bone Tomahawk mentioned at the top of the poster is a good film, even if I am a shameless Kurt Russell fan!

Watched Freaks the other night.

Really enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Netflix. Just watched Don't F**ck with cats. All 3 episodes. Better than fiction. Kept me glued to the settee.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Enjoyed this. Very Lords of Dogtown vs The Wackness.

Saw 1917 last night. Absolutely superb. Managed to keep a level of tension for all 118 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Watched Freaks the other night.

Really enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Bruce Dern...

...seen him hundreds of times, usually looking like this:

Master
    For those of you with young children:

I sat and watched Angry Birds 2 with my son this weekend. Pretty good, better than the first one and with a couple of genuinely funny moments.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Saw 1917 last night. Absolutely superb. Managed to keep a level of tension for all 118 minutes.

Really really good .
    The single shot thing was perfect IMO and very well executed.
    Although it was dizzying at times , it’s definitely one you’d need to see at the cinema .

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    I sat and watched Angry Birds 2
    I will never cease to be amazed at how much they are still milking that game for all it's worth and that it's still going. IIRC they nearly bankrupted themselves with the first round of merchandising.

Craftsman
    The Great Hack on Netflix - focuses on the Trump election campaign, Brexit, Cambridge Analytics, Facebook, and our data.

It fails to cover some key points and probably doesn't push as hard as it could with certain individuals, but nevertheless it's a really clear explanation of what is being done with our data. Made me think of The Big Short in terms of its ability to simply translate complex detail.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Jojo Rabbit is brilliant. Far more of a drama than a comedy, but the comedy works to act as a perfect "coping mechanism" of sorts. Superbly done.
    I think the the public and US critics 'got it' better than the critics on this side of the Atlantic. It is up there in the list of Oscar nominations (link) and in very good company...including 1917.

Watched 12th Man on Netflix

True story about Norwegian militia etc

It was awesome imo - really good

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

For me, Tarantino's best film since Jackie Brown - I watched it and enjoyed, rather than watched it and admired, if you know what I mean?

It has a lot of Oscar nominations, but I think that Brandy should have got a best supporting actress nomination. I don't think I've ever seen anything so scary, magnificent and beautiful. Hmm, am I conflating 'actress' with 'bitch'?