closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would You Wear a 'Replica' Rolex - Like This Guy ?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Interesting how it’s mainly Rolex that are faked. And people wearing fake Rolexes, even if they have a real one. Just shows they’re more concerned about how they look rather than being into watches. Another reason why if I see someone wearing a Rolex the last thing I think is that they’re ‘into watches’. Forumites excluded, obviously.
    What a strange attitude to have towards people who own a certain brand of watch. Perhaps you could tell us your views on owners of other watch brands, no doubt you have categories for them too.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What a strange attitude to have towards people who own a certain brand of watch. Perhaps you could tell us your views on owners of other watch brands, no doubt you have categories for them too.
    It’s not that strange. There’s no doubting that Rolex has a certain cachet among idiots and WIS alike; there’s be no fake industry otherwise. Fakes ruin the brand image for all of us who actually like watches.

Banned
    Don’t worry about it.
    Last edited by Sahara; 2nd January 2020 at 16:45.

Master
    It’s not that strange. There’s no doubting that Rolex has a certain cachet among idiots and WIS alike; there’s be no fake industry otherwise. Fakes ruin the brand image for all of us who actually like watches.
    I agree on the image to some extent. You’ve only got to search YouTube for “Rolex buying” to see how people want the name and don’t have a clue.

“Buying my first Rolex” goes to store with zero idea and just wants a Rolex and chooses from the only watches in the cabinet.

If there’s a brand people want when they don’t know a thing about watches it’s Rolex. Then when they’re really into watches they talk up AP, gotta get that AP baby! (and by ‘into’ I mean they’ve seen one on a rapper on Instagram)

It’s pretty funny to think people are willing to spend many thousands on something they have zero idea about but it doesn’t sway my opinion of wanting a 1680 with nice warm patina and a ghosting bezel though!

Blog Entries
    The fact that Rolex are popular would mean people across a broad spectrum would like them.

No doubt some are idiots as you say. Probably the same percentage of idiots among those who like AP and Bremont for example. I don't think you can claim idiots only like one brand. Unless of course you are simply trying to associate that brand with idiots in an effort to denigrate it. I own Rolex and the brand certainly isn't ruined for me because fakes exist.

Perhaps saying. "There’s no doubting that expensive watches have a certain cachet among idiots and WIS alike; there’s be no fake industry otherwise." would be nearer the truth.

The fact that Rolex are popular would mean people across a broad spectrum would like them.

No doubt some are idiots as you say. Probably the same percentage of idiots among those who like AP and Bremont for example. I don't think you can claim idiots only like one brand. Unless of course you are simply trying to associate that brand with idiots in an effort to denigrate it. I own Rolex and the brand certainly isn't ruined for me because fakes exist.

Perhaps saying. "There’s no doubting that expensive watches have a certain cachet among idiots and WIS alike; there’s be no fake industry otherwise." would be nearer the truth.
    Nearer the truth maybe but unfortunately the vast majority of the public have an understanding of the ‘fake Rolex’ stereotype and have never heard of AP. Remember I’m not ridiculing anyone with an interest in watches, but the seemingly desperate clamour to own something with ‘Rolex’ on it is the opposite of why I like watches. Thus when I see one I don’t think ‘ah, watch guy’ because it’s far more likely that the watch is owned by someone who wants a Rolex, not a watch. Like I said before I’m obviously not taking about members here who are by virtue of membership here probably not in this camp. But the general public? Not sure. Just the way I see it with my ‘low self esteem’ however the other guy worked that out.

Blog Entries
    Nearer the truth maybe but unfortunately the vast majority of the public have an understanding of the ‘fake Rolex’ stereotype and have never heard of AP. Remember I’m not ridiculing anyone with an interest in watches, but the seemingly desperate clamour to own something with ‘Rolex’ on it is the opposite of why I like watches. Thus when I see one I don’t think ‘ah, watch guy’ because it’s far more likely that the watch is owned by someone who wants a Rolex, not a watch. Like I said before I’m obviously not taking about members here who are by virtue of membership here probably not in this camp. But the general public? Not sure. Just the way I see it with my ‘low self esteem’ however the other guy worked that out.
    I think the vast majority of the public couldn't give a tinkers cuss about Rolex, fake or otherwise. Watch fanatics, and those who covet such things are in a minority I think.

However saying "Remember I’m not ridiculing anyone with an interest in watches, but the seemingly desperate clamour to own something with ‘Rolex’ on it.." points to Rolex ownership being somewhat flawed and less 'honourable' than ownership of other brands. Because owners are obviously 'desperately clamouring' to own one for all the wrong reasons!

Obviously this would only upset Rolex 'fanboys' like me! (although I am a Seiko and Omega fanboy as well at certain times of day! )

Question

I think the vast majority of the public couldn't give a tinkers cuss about Rolex, fake or otherwise. Watch fanatics, and those who covet such things are in a minority I think.

However saying "Remember I’m not ridiculing anyone with an interest in watches, but the seemingly desperate clamour to own something with ‘Rolex’ on it.." points to Rolex ownership being somewhat flawed and less 'honourable' than ownership of other brands. Because owners are obviously 'desperately clamouring' to own one for all the wrong reasons!

Obviously this would only upset Rolex 'fanboys' like me! (although I am a Seiko and Omega fanboy as well at certain times of day! )
    That’s not what I’m saying - the general public don’t know anything about watches but many will know that Rolex are valuable watches (before people here got into watches we probably thought they were the most expensive watches you can get) which is why other people who want to show off buy them (or fake ones) because they want to look like they can afford a ‘nice watch’ that people will recognise.

Again before you guys come at me with pitchforks we of course know that they are indeed nice watches and understand them on a much deeper level than your average used car salesman. But it puts me off, at least - maybe some others, too - but I bet it means they sell more watches to non WIS than actual watch enthusiasts who end up paying over the odds because of the situation we now find ourselves in because of the unique brand position enjoyed by the brand.

And that’s why fakes exist.

That’s not what I’m saying - the general public don’t know anything about watches but many will know that Rolex are valuable watches (before people here got into watches we probably thought they were the most expensive watches you can get) which is why other people who want to show off buy them (or fake ones) because they want to look like they can afford a ‘nice watch’ that people will recognise.

Again before you guys come at me with pitchforks we of course know that they are indeed nice watches and understand them on a much deeper level than your average used car salesman. But it puts me off, at least - maybe some others, too - but I bet it means they sell more watches to non WIS than actual watch enthusiasts who end up paying over the odds because of the situation we now find ourselves in because of the unique brand position enjoyed by the brand.

And that’s why fakes exist.
    Fake watches have been around long before the current Rolex trends.
    35 years ago you could buy a Tag Heuer fake in Turkey for £5 and back then there wasn’t a Rolex snide in sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How will we know which is the most faked brand.

Are statistics available?

In my experience, virtually every bloke lve ever spoken to - builders, joiners and engineers, food production workers, auto mechanics, sales staff, bar staff, blokes on trains and aircraft, in bars... you get the picture...has some opinion to express when asked about rolex - more than any other brand.
    Most often "flash gits wear them, or old men, or footballers, or Arfur Daley"... lm not sure if this stems from culture or jealousy, Or that they're "the best watch you can buy" or "A sign youre doing well" etc.

If lm honest and, sure, l only draw off 25 years or so of actually noticing, a lot of opinion is negative.
    I get why.
    I have come to just get on with it, enjoy mine, laugh at the blinkered fanboys and equally the blinkered haters.

Both are exactly as bad as the other! I've been both!

In life most people and things have more than one reputation... and most reputations are deserved in some way.

Edit... Always strange that many a hater will happily wear a fake though... lm.sure a lottery win would lead to multiple purchases of the real thing!
    Last edited by Umbongo; 31st December 2019 at 18:58.

Master

Remember I’m not ridiculing anyone with an interest in watches, but the seemingly desperate clamour to own something with ‘Rolex’ on it is the opposite of why I like watches. Thus when I see one I don’t think ‘ah, watch guy’ because it’s far more likely that the watch is owned by someone who wants a Rolex, not a watch. Like I said before I’m obviously not taking about members here who are by virtue of membership here probably not in this camp. But the general public? Not sure. Just the way I see it with my ‘low self esteem’ however the other guy worked that out.
    Over here I will agree most of the people you meet wearing a Rolex are not watch people. Most buy a Rolex with an "I made it" association that Rolex marketing has ingrained into people. I no longer ask anyone about the watch they're wearing if it's a Rolex, I usually get the blank stare and
    that uncomfortable why do want to know look. If they are WIS I let them ask first.
    Last edited by jk103; 1st January 2020 at 18:10.

I have to admit - I have a Parnis (no idea if it is copied from a famous make) and a Corgeut (£60 lookalikee of a Blancpain FF). Some would call them ‘homages’, of course.

Fakes - no
    Lookalikees - sometimes.

Liked the first of Ser 4 The Grand Tour (Seamen) - where the three are perusing the ranges of ‘genuine’ Rolex/Breitling/Hublot/Omegas in the Cambodian market......