closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steel Daytona demand

Grand Master

Steel Daytona demand

Just read the post about ordering one of these and waiting 6yrs etc. and it set me thinking. Rolex ensure that supply does not meet demand, hence the waiting list situation and the inflated prices. If the watch was readily available at list price, would so many people want one? Somehow, I suspect the demand is created by the very fact that the watch is so hard to obtain, thus creating a self-perpetuating situation. The exclusivity stimulates/creates the demand, rather than the intrinsic desirability of the watch. I`ve no strong urge to own one regardless of the price or availability; to me it's just another nice chronograph in a classic ageless style, a feature that Rolex are very good at. Perhaps I`m just a cynical philistine, but that's how it looks to me and I`d be interested to know the views of others.

Master

Re: Steel Daytona demand

It doesn't have a date, hence I'm not interested and would rather get a nice Tudor chrono! But prices on those are starting to skyrocket aswell (the 90's versions) :(

The daytona does nothing for me personally, just a "look at me" watch imho.

Master

Not that interested in the Daytona, nor do I have the money for one, but even if I'm not interested now I might be later on, it has been so with a couple of other watches I own/owned.

Thomas

Grand Master

I'd prefer to get a PAM122 or PAM74

I love the look of the Daytona but have no use for a Chronograph, so I wouldn't pay over list price to get one, nor have the patience to wait 6 years. So I know I'll never own one, and that's OK with me.

I really can't imagine waiting 6 years for a watch, just seems mad to me! Daytona doesn't do anything for me, either.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Longest I've waited for a watch is 1 year... and counting... LM-7 :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    I really can't imagine waiting 6 years for a watch, just seems mad to me! Daytona doesn't do anything for me, either.
    I like some of the design features - the way the sub-dials are presented in particular. However, that's one heck of a lot of cash for a watch...especially when you consider what an early 2000s Zenith El Primero would set you back in comparison.

Also, 6 years for a watch - I struggle waiting more than 48 hours!! :lol:

Cheers,

Guy :)

I'd rather have a Speedy Pro, irrespective of price or artificially manufactured exclusivity. A much more interesting piece, and the definitive chrono, IMO.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    I'd rather have a Speedy Pro, irrespective of price or artificially manufactured exclusivity. A much more interesting piece, and the definitive chrono, IMO.
    If only it had screw down pushers... :?

Master

A quote from the Paneristi forum with regard to some obscure micro variation of their range,
    "I didn't want one until they told me I couldn't get one'

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    Nope, don't see that at all. There are Seamasters if you want a diver's chrono. And screw down pushers would spoil the looks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    A quote from the Paneristi forum with regard to some obscure micro variation of their range, "I didn't want one until they told me I couldn't get one"
    Ha ha . . . but, you know, that's exactly how I feel about the X-33. :lol:

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK

It's me who's waiting for the watch and I must admit the shortage is part of the allure. The main reason is though that I got the Seadweller for my 40th and want the Daytona for my 50th so waiting is not a problem. If they were freely available I would wait 8 years anyway! On a more pragmatic front the shortage means if I don't like it in 6 years I can always flip it without fear of a loss (probably).

Must say I do like the Speedmaster too and have been sorely tempted........

One of the main reasons that Rolex don't make many of the SS Daytonas is that they don't make as much profit as they do from the "precious metal" versions.

The exclusivity thing is a happy side effect for them.

Cheers,

Master

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Just read the post about ordering one of these and waiting 6yrs etc. and it set me thinking. Rolex ensure that supply does not meet demand, hence the waiting list situation and the inflated prices. If the watch was readily available at list price, would so many people want one? Somehow, I suspect the demand is created by the very fact that the watch is so hard to obtain, thus creating a self-perpetuating situation. The exclusivity stimulates/creates the demand, rather than the intrinsic desirability of the watch.
    Something I've often felt myself. A little like when the BMW Z3 first came out and was popular. People were paying over list for them to get one straight away. A lot of people then ordered one thinking they could run it for a month or two, keep the mileage low and sell it for a small premium. The amount of people doing this kept the demand/waiting list up so the whole thing self perpetuated for a while.

As to the watch itself, I love them, especially the black faced one, but the lack of date puts me off. Partly from a practical perspective (can never remember the flippin date) but partly because it's an expensive watch so to my mind it should have one as part of the spec. Lack of the date is (to me) a little like buying an S Class Mercedes and finding it only comes with cloth seats.

On a side note, if Rolex ever brought out a "MKII" version to replace it and it had a date, would that make the current one more desirable (can't get them any more) or less (that was the model with the missing date)?

Always fancied a Tudor Daytona, but if they are skyrocketing in cost then that's me out of that market too sadly... :(

Blog Entries

Does the world still turn in 6 years?, am I still alive?, do we still need time in 6 years?
    What's with the waiting, there are new ones all over the place :roll: .
    If you really want one...........just buy :D .

http://www.clockwise.nl/nl/product.php?product=1495

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

That's £2,000 over list though, no way I'd pay a mark up like that personally, and expecially if, as the person buying the watch says, I didn't want it for 8 years anyway.

Blog Entries

It's in Euro's though.
    What's the list-price anyway???
    I actually don't know.
    And.............if you really want one......... :D .

Cheers,

Daddel.

Master

Part of the attraction to the watch is the fact that it is one of only a few attainable (possibly) watches that warrants a premium for re-sale, that said, I do genuinely love the white dial version and am patiently waiting for one at list......

List is £4840

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    It's in Euro's though.
    I converted it to £ and it was at that figure it was £2K over.

Plenty around for a premium.

Blog Entries

That's 6127,50 Euro's.
    Wow, they ARE asking a lot more for those :shock: .
    Well I'll keep it in my own price-range then............. :) .

Cheers,

Daddel.

The SS Daytona used to be an incredible deal at Retail from an AD. Not anymore. Additionally, I do believe the second hand market, for whatever reason, has gone a bit soft with it: well, meaning prices have not gone up like they have for other brands or even other Rolexes (namely the Seadweller). I've seen them on the second hand market for about $10K and New in the grey market for about $12K. They are just about $10K with taxes if you're lucky from an AD. It's a nice deal from an AD, that's about it IMO.

Let me get this straight: You pony up £500 deposit on which you get no interest for 6 years and then you pay the current (unknown) price when your watch is ready?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    Screw down pushers on a watch with a depth rating of 30m? Er... no thanks.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Let me get this straight: You pony up £500 deposit on which you get no interest for 6 years and then you pay the current (unknown) price when your watch is ready?

Eddie
    That's correct Eddie.

Although I do get the benefit of about 15% off list as I don't live in the EU and hence don't have to suffer the VAT burden on any watches I buy in the UK/EU

Anyway - What's interest on sterling running at today? Couple or 3%? I think I can stand the 20 quid a year.

Hey, it's refundable so if anyone can get me one for list today then I'm your man.

Chris

[quote="chrisjones3"
    Hey, it's refundable so if anyone can get me one for list today then I'm your man.

Chris[/quote]

:?

Why would anybody put you onto one at list - the grey dealers will pay you £500 - £750 above list in a breath if you have a BNIB - should you choose to move it on in a private sale you can realise circa £1500 over list.

Good luck with the wait - hope it's worth it for you when in ends up on the wrist. I lusted for 10 years and lasted 2 months with one before I realised it was not really me.......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries

It's just a tri-compax chrono without a date, but unfortunately it says Rolex on the dial :) .
    When it says Marcello C. and has a date, few people want it :roll: .
    Yeah, yeah, I know, bash me, in-house caliber and all that sort of rot :D .

Cheers,

Daddel.

It's just a tri-compax chrono without a date, but unfortunately it says Rolex on the dial :) .
    When it says Marcello C. and has a date, few people want it :roll: .
    Yeah, yeah, I know, bash me, in-house caliber and all that sort of rot :D .

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Lots of truth to your statment, but to be fair, it's a lot nicer than most any chrono for around $2K--even much nicer (but not necessarily more collectable) than a Speedy Pro. Personally, for just over $10K, I'd prefer this: (and it looks like it has a date)

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Just read the post about ordering one of these and waiting 6yrs etc. and it set me thinking. Rolex ensure that supply does not meet demand, hence the waiting list situation and the inflated prices. If the watch was readily available at list price, would so many people want one?
    Probably not. At least, only as many as would want, say, a ND Sub or Sea-Dweller or other sports Rolex.

Don't see the point of Rolex-bashing (beyond the usual pathology) when it comes to the Daytona. Rolex doesn't see a single damn penny of the surplus, so if you're going to bash anyone, bash the secondary market which creates that surplus. More difficult, admittedly, then bashing the "sitting duck" that is Rolex, which one can easily do from one's armchair with no effort.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master

Yeah - I have that problem with the Speedmaster, only it says "Omega". Hey ho :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Blog Entries

I have had mine about 8 years now and I guess one of the things I liked was the fact that I did have to wait for it and that I couldnt just buy it a list price
    I like the fact that although it is still expensive its not out of the reach of a lot of people and its really nice when you see someone else with one on and you share a smile and a chat.

Yes its hyped up and its not the best chrono you can buy, but you can wear it every day, it looks good with a suit or jeans, it doesnt depreciate, and do you know the nicest thing about it? ..... it still makes me :) when I put it on

Craftsman

I fear to buy it...

I would have to wear it everyday to justify its cost (and its nice as well)... I wont be able to flip it knowing that its probably going to be hard to find another one... Finally, all my other watches will get significantly less wrist time as a result...

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    Yes its hyped up and its not the best chrono you can buy, but you can wear it every day, it looks good with a suit or jeans, it doesnt depreciate, and do you know the nicest thing about it? ..... it still makes me :) when I put it on
    And that's how it should be, for any watch :D

I really like it but then I can't think of a Daytona I haven't liked the look of over the years.

With the premium they are too dear but if one came around to me at the right price......... :twisted:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

They seem to sell at about £1400 over list, in eight years time the list price will be close to that I would think. :?

Master

To throw the cat amongst the pigeons.....
    I am trying to obtain the bezel, crown pushers and screw down collars for the Daytona. Then I am going to customize my 2 tone to become a stainless steel one.
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    I have had mine about 8 years now and I guess one of the things I liked was the fact that I did have to wait for it and that I couldnt just buy it a list price
    I like the fact that although it is still expensive its not out of the reach of a lot of people and its really nice when you see someone else with one on and you share a smile and a chat.

Enjoy it. These discussions with the Daytona mostly relate to the inflated price over retail--that's what bothers most of us that don't have one. Believe me, if my AD called me today, I'd be very tempted. But retail has gone up quite a bit over the last couple of years.