closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BBC War of the worlds

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    its also very annoying.

go back and watch something like the day of the triffids to see how it should be done.
    Perhaps they will and then sadly remake a terrible version of that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    We've just been discussing this in the office and the concerted opinion is it's too politically correct.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    its also very annoying.

go back and watch something like the day of the triffids to see how it should be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    Perhaps they will and then sadly remake a terrible version of that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Be very careful what you wish for...

Master
    Blog Entries
    this one gritty,well written and with a story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da...981_TV_series)

conveys the horror well.

The 1981 series is brilliant. A big influence on Day of the Dead and, in turn, 28 Days Later.

having watched it all (it was broadcast as a two parter overseas) - I was not impressed - the ending in particular.

I'm a huge fan of Wells, and love the Stephen Baxter official sequal to "The War of the Worlds", entitled "The Massacre of Mankind".

So I was open-minded to this new adaptation. Anything that brings Wells to a new audience is usually fine by me.

However, after two episodes I have to say I am very disappointed by just how boring this version is. The script is leaden, as is the pace of the production. I just feel that the writers and producers started with a weak idea, and followed it through. I will watch the final episode, for completeness, but I am not expecting much at all by this point.

There are a few nice ideas that could have been handled differently, but the whole "love story" aspect is poorly judged.

That isn't the worst thing though. What is really grating is the moving around in time between what appear to be current events, then some pointi n the future where they become flashbacks. It doesn't work, and really removes virtually all of the dramatic tension of the story, making it more about a missing father than the invaders from Mars.

The destruction wrought by the Martians is barely seen, and in one particularly poor scene where George has been apparently buried by an improbable pile of timbers in the street - you can clearly see as he struggles free that these supposedly heavy lumps of wood weigh nothing as they wobble in the way that a polystyrene block would.

Shame really, as given the source material the tension and despair of the onslaught should be front and centre, not relegated to the wings as the two leads struggle with their relationship woes.

In the face of the massacre of mankind, their marital issues seem not only irrelevant, but pretty irritating.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well..... what I've learned from this is I'm a sucker for watching all 3 episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    There are a few nice ideas that could have been handled differently, but the whole "love story" aspect is poorly judged.
    Yep, agree with everything you said. I feel like they must have thought, "well, everyone knows the basic story by now, so we'll just skim over that and make it a romantic period drama with a bit of sci-fi makeup instead". The most disappointing thing for me was the battle between the martians and the Thunder Child in episode 2. In so far as it happened. The scene was definitely in there, but at least one critical element was missing. Dramatic tension not being the only thing.

I feel like with a much higher SFX budget and some significantly better editing, this could actually have been quite good. I don't think there was actually anything wrong with the acting or the script (mostly). It's just that the finished result was like someone spliced together footage from a Jane Austen drama with some 1990s Lightwave renderings of aliens blowing things up.

Episode 3 actually had some scenes that reminded me of 70s-80s low-budget BBC sci-fi horror classics like the old Dr Who, which are always at their best when the rubber monsters are hidden in the shadows. Constant menace is implied, no jump-scares needed. Unfortunately it did not live up to that standard, but again, a bit of editing could fix most of it. Every single flashforward should have been left on the cutting room floor too.

watched the first episode. Thought it couldn't get much worse so watch the second. How wrong I was!.

Gave up after that.

Oh dear.

I have recorded the whole thing, but this thread really does not make me want to watch any of them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Oh dear.

I have recorded the whole thing, but this thread really does not make me want to watch any of them.
    There are better programmes to watch. I agree there seems to be a lot of dross out there at the moment but it's not hard to find something better than this.