closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 19/20

Seems like Brendan Rodgers may be going to Arsenal. Good call if true (and probably just a rumour).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Seems like Brendan Rodgers may be going to Arsenal. Good call if true (and probably just a rumour).

BR hasn't shown that he would be a success at Arsenal
    The Celtic team under Neil Lennon is now a more potent force than it was laterally under BR
    His signings left a lot to be desired.
    I'm not saying he couldn't be a success but let's see the full season first.
    He had Suarez at Liverpool and currently Vardy at Leicester.
    Arsenal have no such luxury.

Master
    Blog Entries

Premier League 19/20

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    The Celtic team under Neil Lennon is now a more potent force than it was laterally under BR
    PEA.........

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Aubameyang is at least as good as Vardy. Suarez is different class. Plus with Lacazette, Martinelli, Pepe etc Arsenal have a better attacking squad than Leicester they are just underperforming

I cant see BR leaving so quickly and going to Arsenal.

Vardy is a decent striker but not in the same class as pea. If pea was at Liverpool, City, or any other top team he would be top European goal scorer easily.

VAR corruption at Tottenham again. It's so obvious people are getting paid off. Will all come out in the future a la Juventus I'm sure

Master
    I honestly can’t believe that BR is watching Arsenal today and thinking yup, that’s the team for me...

Odds on Man City still being 4th by the end of the weekend?

VAR corruption at Tottenham again. It's so obvious people are getting paid off. Will all come out in the future a la Juventus I'm sure

The Blades up to fifth. I think everyone can be excused a little cognitive dissonance.

That said......

PS: i don't know who makes the Spurs number 8's invisible boots, but i can see them getting a lot of enquiries on Monday
    Last edited by raysablade; 9th November 2019 at 20:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post

Vardy is a decent striker but not in the same class as pea. If pea was at Liverpool, City, or any other top team he would be top European goal scorer easily.
    ����you reckon, many lol’s

Master
    2-1 slaughter at the Molineux.
    Happy days

They must be Scousers as well!
    I was at the Spurs game and we were lucky to get a point.

City will get buried here - defence all over the place

Master
    Ryan's kiss of death...let's see what the second half brings. City have a goal in them I reckon.

Master
    Sergio has other ideas

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

9 points clear. Nice result.

I really hope they now go on to win it this year. It has afterall been 30 years.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    If they want to leave it another 30 that would be fine with me

Master
    Man City ponderous in attack and hopeless in defence. They had a good first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes, but otherwise Liverpool were better in every department. Even Lovren played well!

Ironic that Stirling was the one diving in the penalty area after Pep’s comments last weekend. Sadie Mane really enjoyed his goal...

VAR continues to be a shambles. Only football can mess up the use of technology where it’s proved so useful in other sports.

Blog Entries

z

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Lol. Wondered where he was today :-)

VAR should only be used if its clearly the wrong decision.

As for the "penality shout". . The ball hit a Man City player before it deflected on to ATA. Accidental all day long.

If Man City has played to the whistle rather than trying to bully the ref, then Liverpool might not have scored.

Liverpool were the better team on the day and Pep, his team and MC Fans just need to suck it up.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    You realise that accidental handball is given these days?

I don't think it's a good rule I hasten to add, but that's beside the point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    VAR should only be used if its clearly the wrong decision.

Liverpool were the better team on the day and Pep, his team and MC Fans just need to suck it up.
    Despite the risk of feeding the troll, here’s my 50 cents ...-

It was - Current rules state...

• a ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger

This was enforced pretty ruthlessly early on this season - TAA (aka ATA?) would have fallen foul of this today.

Liverpool deserved the win - City’s defence was awful at times... but we need consistency on that ‘unnaturally bigger’ rule

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

• a ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger

This was enforced pretty ruthlessly early on this season - TAA (aka ATA?) would have fallen foul of this today.

Liverpool deserved the win - City’s defence was awful at times... but we need consistency on that ‘unnaturally bigger’ rule

z
    That’s how I saw it. No difference between today and Sissoko in the CL final.

Shity ffs 😳

It was a weakened City team today and Liverpool were just far too good for them. I know injuries play a key part in the season but that was nowhere near City’s best team and as a neutral I’d have liked to have seen a more competitive game.

City are still a great team but it’s Liverpool’s to lose now. I remember only too well being 12 points clear at Christmas so there’s still a long way to go.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great three points today, well chuffed. The Chelsea - Man City game will be interesting.

Imagine if Brendan Rogers wins the prem? Piping Liverpool by a point or GD?

Craftsman
    I don’t think Brendan Rogers will win the league because he will be managing Arsenal.

Great result for Liverpool and I’m looking forward to seeing how Pep and the Man City team respond.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    and you think that TAA (my mistake) arm/hand was making their body "unnaturally" bigger? But I agree the rule should be completely unambiguous. If it hits the arm/hand then it's an automatic foul might be better. No ifs, or buts.

Not that it matters - the only POV which is important is that of the ref and or VAR, and neither of them thought it was a penalty according to the current rule.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I was at the game today and havent seen the hand all incident yet so can't comment on that.

On the game as a whole Liverpool fully dominated for 70+ mins and City only came into the game in the last.

The game was won in midfield City's lads were anonymous in the middle.

9 points Is nowhere near enough to say it's over for the league. I still wouldn't be confident with a 15 point lead.

Apprentice
    As a Liverpool fan today's result was great but the Premier League really need to study how to use VAR. It's been very well integrated into rugby union but the PL haven't quite got it sorted yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    😂😂you reckon, many lol’s
    yes, pea is a different class to vardy. Arsenal on the other hand are just becoming a weekly joke, I can see pea and laca both leaving this summer unless something changes, emery out asap

How anyone can decide that's offside is beyond me. The way VAR's being used in the PL is ruining our game. I watched Athletico Madrid v Espanyol yesterday and VAR worked flawlessly; ref got a buzz to say he might want to have another look, went to the monitor and made a decision. Simple and effective and the crowd could see what he was doing. It worked in the World Cup, Women's World Cup and works in the CL.

Why on earth are we doing it so badly? If the ref at the Blades v Spuds game had looked on the monitor he'd never have given offside.

I've always loved radio debate and conversation about football, especially on a Monday morning drive into work. This morning I turned it off as it was all about VAR again and it's boring.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    The Blades up to fifth. I think everyone can be excused a little cognitive dissonance.

That said......

PS: i don't know who makes the Spurs number 8's invisible boots, but i can see them getting a lot of enquiries on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by neil-c-8 View Post
    As a Liverpool fan today's result was great but the Premier League really need to study how to use VAR. It's been very well integrated into rugby union but the PL haven't quite got it sorted yet.
    Rugby Union has used Television Match Officials since 2001. After eighteen years, they're still tinkering with the process.

The Premier League has had 12 rounds of matches using it. I'm not surprised there are difficulties, particularly since the EPL referee/VAR interpretations seem to be different from other countries & competitions.
    ______

​Jim.

No Premier League manager, not even BR, talks about himself as much as Phil Neville, it's all "I... I... I..." and never "we".

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    How anyone can decide that's offside is beyond me. The way VAR's being used in the PL is ruining our game. I watched Athletico Madrid v Espanyol yesterday and VAR worked flawlessly; ref got a buzz to say he might want to have another look, went to the monitor and made a decision. Simple and effective and the crowd could see what he was doing. It worked in the World Cup, Women's World Cup and works in the CL.

Why on earth are we doing it so badly? If the ref at the Blades v Spuds game had looked on the monitor he'd never have given offside.

I've always loved radio debate and conversation about football, especially on a Monday morning drive into work. This morning I turned it off as it was all about VAR again and it's boring.
    The problem is, and always will be, it’s still open to interpretation by an official in a box miles away . He will always back up the man on the field .
    That Sheff Utd decision took four minutes . The Salah goal didn’t take 30 seconds . The handball decision was actually embarrassing.
    I keep coming back to it but this game is corrupt .

Master
    City fans thinking 'outside forces' are trying to stop them winning the league is pathetic.

No-one is bothered about Man City enough. People in Manchester arent even bothered enough to go the games so why would 'outside forces' be bothered about you?

Conspiracy theorists wow.

Grand Master
    Have to laugh, Rugby League and Union have used video refs for years, the systems aren’t perfect but there’s a far greater chance if the correct outcome when a decision is made, and even when a decision’s contentious everyone just accepts it. Football has been very slow to adopt video technology, and now it’s arrived everyone’s moaning because they don’t like the fact that the laws can now be applied correctly and to the letter. Now there’s talk if conspiracy theories too..........maybe football and the fans need to stop moaning. Everyone moaned when the refs got things wrong, now they’re moaning when VAR gets it right, or someone makes a decision based on hard evidence rather than what they thought they saw in a split second.

FFS stop moaning, the pundits are the worst of the lot, they’re all sounding like a bunch of whingers.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Have to laugh, Rugby League and Union have used video refs for years, the systems aren’t perfect but there’s a far greater chance if the correct outcome when a decision is made, and even when a decision’s contentious everyone just accepts it. Football has been very slow to adopt video technology, and now it’s arrived everyone’s moaning because they don’t like the fact that the laws can now be applied correctly and to the letter. Now there’s talk if conspiracy theories too..........maybe football and the fans need to stop moaning. Everyone moaned when the refs got things wrong, now they’re moaning when VAR gets it right, or someone makes a decision based on hard evidence rather than what they thought they saw in a split second.

FFS stop moaning, the pundits are the worst of the lot, they’re all sounding like a bunch of whingers.
    I think the problem is the laws are not being applied to the letter. Yes for off sides it is black and white but so many other decisions have been called wrong by VAR, some do not even do to VAR. The system is good it is just badly implemented into the PL. Refs not going to look at the screen is just plain stupid.

Strangely enough, the worst VAR decision I saw over the weekend was when Guendouzi pulled back Soyuncu in the box in the Leicester-Arsenal game.
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

The problem is that it was originally designed to aid in the case of 'clear and obvious' error and is now being used when there is no clear and obvious error. If play is stopped and it takes 3 minutes to decide, you can argue that the 'error' is by no means clear and obvious. The major problem that is now leading to talk of conspiracy is that the usage is now being applied completely inconsistently. One case in point - Liverpool played Southampton away in August. One of the two Liverpool goals in a 2-1 Liverpool victory was flagged by VAR as there had been an offside in a previous passage of play. They decided the goal should stand as the offside was in a previous passage of play and had not been picked up at the time. Fast forward to Liverpool away at Chelsea in mid September. Liverpool were 1-0 up in the first half when Mason Mount scored an equaliser that was acknowledged by the ref as a goal. Then VAR interjects as they felt Mason Mount had been offside in a previous passage of play and rules the goal out. Liverpool went on to win 2-1.

Master
    The VAR decisions might be better if they used better quality video. The offside analyses always look blurred which doesn't help when an offside can apparently now turn on how short you cut your toenails.

Grand Master
    One problem the technology brings is when to use it and when not to. This hasn't been resolved fully in Rugby League, this year's Challenge Cup final was a good example where the referee ruled 'no try' in the first few minutes when the match was scoreless. Subsequent reviews showed the ref had got it wrong, he should've gone to referred the decision to the video ref. This could've influenced the pattern of the game significantly and it left the ref in an embarrassing position......this was a cup final!

Football seems to be struggling with VAR, they've had years to see how it works in other sports and to assess the potential pitfalls and I would've expected the introduction to have been less contentious.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    The VAR decisions might be better if they used better quality video. The offside analyses always look blurred which doesn't help when an offside can apparently now turn on how short you cut your toenails.
    I imagine that it would need a high speed film. The offsides are just stupid now particularly when you get the Sheffield Utd example with the amount of play that then passed before the ruling. If you have to spend 3+ mins fine tuning an imaginary line it is not clear and obvious and should just stand as is. They should have 30 secs tops to decide or leave it. The hand ball is also very inconsistent as is the way in which it probably favours the defending side. Then you have the stuff that the refs don’t see like the Cags foul just being ignored.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    They should have 30 secs tops to decide or leave it.
    That thought occured to me

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    The hand ball is also very inconsistent as is the way in which it probably favours the defending side.
    You aren't going to get any sense from VAR if no-one seems to know what the rule is!

Neil Swarbrick was interviewed on R4 at lunchtime. He sounds like a complete half wit so putting him in charge of VAR was never going to end well. It's a multi £m business and the "we'll get it right eventually" line doesn't cut it - even if you believe it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    The problem is, and always will be, it’s still open to interpretation by an official in a box miles away . He will always back up the man on the field .
    That Sheff Utd decision took four minutes . The Salah goal didn’t take 30 seconds . The handball decision was actually embarrassing.
    where is the corruption, outside forces trying to prevent city winning the league at liverpools expense? when did they switch sides,

to give a penalty in that scenario where a handball from a player on one team causes a handball by another would have been baffling.

city were there own worse enemies, their on field response to this cost them the goal, its no wonder when their manager is acting like a teenage girl on the sideline.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    where is the corruption, outside forces trying to prevent city winning the league at liverpools expense? when did they switch sides,

to give a penalty in that scenario where a handball from a player on one team causes a handball by another would have been baffling.

city were there own worse enemies, their on field response to this cost them the goal, its no wonder when their manager is acting like a teenage girl on the sideline.
    That is the crux to me, it was a handball by the city player that directed the ball onto the hand of the Liverpool player. How could one possibly be given and not the other?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

There's a really good article on the athletic showing why it was (correctly) given.

Correct or not, the way they're implementing offside/var is ridiculous.

It'll get better, the first season it was used in Italy it was a total mess, even worse than we're seeing in the pl. It's new tech, being implemented in a different way, and it's very early days. Going to have to accept the pain until it evolves.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Had they used VAR, the Liverpool handball would of resulted in a Liverpool free kick. It hits Silva's hand before the defenders. And as we know, there's now no such thing as accidental handball for attacking players.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post

Where did I mention the Liverpool bias ?
    Don’t cherry pick . I’ve been a critic from the start, not just in City matches.
    I’m not bothered about the penalty, it was the interpretation of the whole passage of play. It’s been well documented that Silva S arm was in a natural position whereas Arnold stretched his arm from his body . If no penalty, Liverpool should have been given a free kick, no ? There was no way that decision was going to be reversed. There would’ve been mayhem inside the ground .