closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4k tv advice

Blog Entries

4k tv advice

i know there have been many posts about this, but any advice on buying a 4k tv, 55" around £500, cheers.

Craftsman
    costco have 75" 4k tv's for £699 plus vat

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just bought a 65” Panasonic via richer sounds and very happy with the tv and service from richers.

How about this..https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...x49fx650b.html

jimp have a look in avforums, the what tv threads there should hopefully give you some good pointers.

Anyway, back to normal service, have you had a look at an mx5 or a 911

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Just bought a 65” Panasonic via richer sounds and very happy with the tv and service from richers.

How about this..https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...x49fx650b.html
    Got my parents one of these, its a fantastic tv for the price...

There's a lot of advice regarding viewing distances for to TVs. For example a max viewing distance of about 6 feet if to be able to discern the extra detail in a 4k TV. Is this advice worth listening to?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    There's a lot of advice regarding viewing distances for to TVs. For example a max viewing distance of about 6 feet if to be able to discern the extra detail in a 4k TV. Is this advice worth listening to?
    Personally feel its all rubbish, I have a 55 4k oled tv and sit about 8 ft away and it looks fantastic on Netflix 4k, get what you think is the best for you...

I’ve got a 65” OLED and sit about 10 feet away, according to the guides I should be watching it like a small child, plopped in front a few feet away but when watching Netflix HDR I think my retinas would burn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    ive seen them advertised but not seen in the flesh.

Master
    Sign up for richer sounds email letter, the deals they send through are crazy cheap sometimes. Last email I got had a 43” Samsung 4K smart TV for £299!

I’d recommend a decent level Samsung as mine seems solid and even the sound is good for an LED TV, my GF has a JVC that’s way newer than mine and it’s dreadful (pic and sound both running the same virgin TV)

Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    costco have 75" 4k tv's for £699 plus vat
    £699 plus vat is a fair bit over the OP’s £500 budget...

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    £699 plus vat is a fair bit over the OP’s £500 budget...
    Not to mention the additional 20"!!!!

Blog Entries
    looked at the reviews of the hisense 55U7A ULED HDR 4K Ultra HD, it looks great for the price.

ULED is getting close to OLED in terms of display quality so that Hisense sounds bob on for the price.

Master
    I'm still well happy with the Hisense I bout a year ago and would buy another quite happily.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I'm still well happy with the Hisense I bout a year ago and would buy another quite happily.
    I'm very happy with the two Hisense we have and the TCL has a good picture but really peeved that there is no app for Amazon Prime.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    ULED is getting close to OLED in terms of display quality so that Hisense sounds bob on for the price.
    I’m not so sure about this based on my recent treks around Curry’s and John Lewis.
    The quality of the OLED TVs stood out a mile as I was walking around comparing them.

^^^I bought a 55" OLED LG last month and I'm blown away by the quality of the picture. ULED is close but where it can't match the OLED is in the depth of the colours and the contrast ratio, with OLED each individual pixel can be switched off meaning the blacks are astonishingly, well, black!

No ULED or LED display can match this as their displays are back lit.

My point was when working to a budget ULED is an excellent alternative to OLED, the quality is superb.
    Last edited by Thewatchbloke; 25th June 2019 at 15:09. Reason: typo!!!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    i know there have been many posts about this, but any advice on buying a 4k tv, 55" around £500, cheers.
    I think Amazon has the prime day sale in a few weeks if you are not in a hurry. There are usually some good discounts to be had when that is running.

Master
    ^^^I bought a 55" OLED LG last month and I'm blown away by the quality of the picture.
    Funnily enough that’s the exact tv I ended up buying. The picture quality truly is superb. I can’t see me ever getting an LED tv again.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’m not so sure about this based on my recent treks around Curry’s and John Lewis.
    The quality of the OLED TVs stood out a mile as I was walking around comparing them.
    Those would have been in shop mode? Is there still the same difference (or possibly greater difference) using the settings you'd have in your home?

Funnily enough that’s the exact tv I ended up buying. The picture quality truly is superb. I can’t see me ever getting an LED tv again.
    They are good aren't they? It's the depth of the black that really impresses me, when I watch on any of the other TV's in the house the blacks seem grey now!

I ended up buying the LG OLED55E8, mainly because I like the floating design of the glass panel but it also has the benefit of the alpha9 processor which delivers big improvements in noise reduction, sharpness, depth enhancement and colour reproduction over the previous alpha7.

@Thewatchbloke I’ve got the same model but in 65” Love the floating glass style and the sound from the minuscule speakers that can’t be seen isn’t hat bad either.

Did you think you were going to break it when assembling it? Proper heart in mouth moments as me and my son put it together and then tried to stand it up

^^^^

Tightening the stand on to the glass panel was a cheek clencher! I'm constantly amazed at how thin it actually is, literally the depth of a sheet of toughened glass.

Master
    They are good aren't they? It's the depth of the black that really impresses me, when I watch on any of the other TV's in the house the blacks seem grey now!

I ended up buying the LG OLED55E8, mainly because I like the floating design of the glass panel but it also has the benefit of the alpha9 processor which delivers big improvements in noise reduction, sharpness, depth enhancement and colour reproduction over the previous alpha7.
    Mine is a slightly different (cheaper) model. I’ve got the 55B8

Mine is a slightly different (cheaper) model. I’ve got the 55B8
    It's still an outstanding OLED TV and in the real world I doubt I'd be able to see any discernible difference in quality between yours and mine

4k tv advice

When I put the stand on mine I obviously didn’t push the stand up on one side so after about a week I noticed that the tv was very slightly raised by a mm or 2 in one side. So Saturday afternoon just after lunch I decided to undo the stand screws and as I did so the tv dropped/plopped down on the stand, made what sounded like an enormous noise and then proceeded to shake back and fourth. My son who was still having lunch leapt over from the dining room to grab the top of the TV as he was sure it was going to topple over.

Won’t be doing any messing around with it after the above but the TV is now level.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Some of the reviews are not great :)

I'd like a 40-43" 4K OLED for the kitchen but nobody's making them :-(

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Some of the reviews are not great :)
    So which TV would you recommend if Hisense is not the one to go for?

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I'd like a 40-43" 4K OLED for the kitchen but nobody's making them :-(

Eddie
    Hey Eddie, I've just bought a Samsung NU43/7400 after 2 visits to Richer Sounds. I'm pretty critical of pic quality and researched this set it in depth.
    I've set it up and to me the blacks are excellent. Very happy with it. £369

Master
    picture quality is obviously the most important criteria but don't overlook sound quality (unless you use a soundbar or home theatre system) and operating system / interface.
    We have LG, Toshiba and android TV devices and the LG is by far the best to use.
    My sons Toshiba lost the netflix password last night - took me over 10 minutes to reconnect to netflix purely because the remote / tv interaction is so bad. When the LG needs a password entering it's buttery smooth.

Bargain?

Tesco’s are selling these for £299...seems remarkably cheap to me. Is there a catch? Or should I go and buy one now? Dearest TZers please tell me what to do!

Last edited by Kirk280; 29th November 2019 at 20:12.

I can’t find any online reviews which doesn’t bode well!

How good are the 50" plus tv's when they're not showing 4k transmissions?

Is a 65" tv capable of producing a decent picture if it's asked to lower itself to showing something that isn't even HD?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I can’t find any online reviews which doesn’t bode well!
    Good price mate but I suspect it might not be true 4k.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    How good are the 50" plus tv's when they're not showing 4k transmissions?

Is a 65" tv capable of producing a decent picture if it's asked to lower itself to showing something that isn't even HD?
    I've got a 55 Sony XF9005 and the HD picture is really good. I think the main benefit is the HDR that 4k offers. However it really comes down to how picky you are. Sometimes IMO people often spend time looking for flaws and pixel peeping rather than just taking in the bigger picture

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Good price mate but I suspect it might not be true 4k.
    How does one tell?

(I hardly ever get chance to watch TV in any case....)

I’ve got a 65” OLED and SD pictures look OK-ish but you see the grainyness. HD looks good and UHD with HDR looks stunning. Watching the new Attenborough series on iPlayer in UHD HDR looks simply stunning.

How does one tell?

(I hardly ever get chance to watch TV in any case....)
    I found similar models (it's the last couple of letters in the serial number that change) which suggests it might be a 'Tesco Special'.

If our house is any measure, shite TV is no better on an OLED screen.........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Tesco’s are selling these for £299...seems remarkably cheap to me. Is there a catch? Or should I go and buy one now? Dearest TZers please tell me what to do!

The processors also have a huge impact. As it often effects so much of what goes on. As they are basically big pcs these days. The software also plays a big part, most of the screens are made in only a few factories. So for a bigger screen you need a faster processor to build the image well and stop blurring, but also good software.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    The processors also have a huge impact. As it often effects so much of what goes on. As they are basically big pcs these days. The software also plays a big part, most of the screens are made in only a few factories. So for a bigger screen you need a faster processor to build the image well and stop blurring, but also good software.
    Understood. Any idea if that TV is any good?

Master
    I bought a Toshiba TV a couple of years ago, it wasn’t bad but they only ever did one software update and it dropped off there update site very quickly. Also some of the smart features ever really worked and there support was rubbish. Might have been a one off though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    Have you noticed that a lot of the oled demo's these days that you see in shops are played in slow-mo.
    I'm currently looks at deals on the Panasonic GZ2000 range as they seem to have good pictures and sound in one package.
    I bought the 55” GZ2000. Hope the built in Technics sound is worth it.

I'm sure it will be fine. It's the best specced tv on the market today that has a top screen and all the sound decoding and soundbar etc in one package.
    Please let me know what you think when you get a chance to put it through it's paces.
    Will do. Delivery booked for Thursday.

So I bought that cheap 55” Toshiba from Tesco, only to discover it is too big for the corner of the room! Sigh. So I went back and bought a 40” Sharp for £199 instead. It’s probably not the best TV in the world, but seeing as though it will be covered in sticky finger prints in a matter of days I don’t really mind...

Now I just need to buy a wider TV cabinet, the footprint of the Sharp is larger than my last TV!

The Toshiba will be returned tomorrow...

I'm sure it will be fine. It's the best specced tv on the market today that has a top screen and all the sound decoding and soundbar etc in one package.
    Please let me know what you think when you get a chance to put it through it's paces.
    It is the best specced TV on the market indeed :). Arrived a week late, but worth the wait!

Do you know what happens to DTS Master Audio when played on non DTS licensed TV/Speakers?

I have Panasonic GZ2000, with amazing Dolby Atmos sound, but no DTS support.

Blu-ray films still sound great (bitstream from PS4 Pro). But is it technically losing DTS Master Audio quality?

Thanks in advance.