closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPhone Battery Replacement

iPhone Battery Replacement

Morning all,

I've used the search function without success.

I bought a used iPhone 6 from a member here last week, excellent transaction and a cracking phone with a big memory for the price. However, the battery life is tragic. For all it reports 82% in the phone battery settings it's truly awful and has to be charged twice daily with moderate use.

Apple will replace the battery for £45 but this increases the price of the phone above what I wanted to pay.

So, is there a way to get the battery replaced other than by Apple? At what cost? Should I just shut up and put up and go to Apple?

Thanks.

Master
    No brainer - Take it to the apple store - trust me. They will also give you a report on the rest of the phone i.e. is the screen a joey, are the speakers OK.

Unless you know a local store that are good (references etc - they still use non apple stock btw).

We have a store in a local market that are good but they are only £20 cheaper than the apple store price. We have one also that charges £10 more than apple for the same job - I still went to apple.

B

Master
    You can pick a battery up on ebay with a tool kit for a tenner and there are hundreds of videos on Youtube showing you how to replace it yourself.

Its a little fiddly but if you want to save the money then that's the way to go.

You have to heat the screen and use really thin tools , if you don't heat it enough and pry too hard you will crack the screen!
    Its not difficult but you need to take your time and go slow don't push the tools in too far as you will cut ribbons wires ECT
    If you don't mind messing up the phone have ago yourself just be prepared for replacement parts

My 6s had the same issue. It was replaced by Apple for £25, including the postage costs, as the phone was one of those covered under their battery replacement scheme.

Even though it sounds like you have missed that boat now, I would still take it straight to Apple and soak up the cost. My phone has a new lease of life since the battery change and will probably keep going for another couple of years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    You have to heat the screen and use really thin tools , if you don't heat it enough and pry too hard you will crack the screen!
    Its not difficult but you need to take your time and go slow don't push the tools in too far as you will cut ribbons wires ECT
    If you don't mind messing up the phone have ago yourself just be prepared for replacement parts
    this is not really true-the screen does not need heating - I've done maybe 20 + for family and friend
    The hardest bit is removing the battery- you really need a heat source to loosen the tape that hold it in- I use one of those microwave wheat bags, just sit in on that for a couple of mins - if you damage the battery while removing it its liable to catch fire- honestly.
    If you methodical and careful its a 20 min job
    Last edited by lewie; 11th June 2019 at 10:30.

Thanks folks, I think a trip to Apple is the way to go!

Cheers :)

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    My 6s had the same issue. It was replaced by Apple for £25, including the postage costs, as the phone was one of those covered under their battery replacement scheme.

Even though it sounds like you have missed that boat now, I would still take it straight to Apple and soak up the cost. My phone has a new lease of life since the battery change and will probably keep going for another couple of years.

At that time a replacement battery at Apple was £79. They reduced it temporarily due to the "throttling" debacle, and then brought in a permanent reduction to £45.
    F.T.F.A.

Very straightforward to do it yourself and you don't NEED any heat source though as recommended by lewie, warming the battery to soften the adhesive strips that hold the battery in place is a good idea.

Full Instructions HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks folks, I think a trip to Apple is the way to go!

Cheers :)
    I think you can book a slot (to drop the phone in) using their website or by calling the store, so they try to do it 'while you wait'. Otherwise you may need to collect a day or so later.

If you do it yourself (or get a third party to) any future issue where you do take it back to apple - they will then not touch it ( if they detect its been fixed by someone else)

( This happened on a replaced screen rather than a battery )

cheers

matt

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I think you can book a slot (to drop the phone in) using their website or by calling the store, so they try to do it 'while you wait'. Otherwise you may need to collect a day or so later.
    THIS
    Book a slot, go for a coffee and pick up an hour later....

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    THIS
    Book a slot, go for a coffee and pick up an hour later....
    Cheers both :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Very straightforward to do it yourself and you don't NEED any heat source though as recommended by lewie, warming the battery to soften the adhesive strips that hold the battery in place is a good idea.

Full Instructions HERE.

I read as far as "A charged lithium-ion battery can catch fire and/or explode if accidentally punctured."!!!

I would love to have a go at something like that but don't have the nerve.

I have read that when it was £25, Apple did accidentally damage/break phones and replaced with new phones without quibble. I would rather go to Apple.

Appointment made at Genius Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I read as far as "A charged lithium-ion battery can catch fire and/or explode if accidentally punctured."!!!

I would love to have a go at something like that but don't have the nerve.
    Indeed they can which is why there are strict regulations in place for carrying them, for example, on aircraft.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Indeed they can which is why there are strict regulations in place for carrying them, for example, on aircraft.

Wow! That's a dramatic effect very quickly!

Craftsman

It is

A fairly easy job to do yourself but at £45 its worth letting Apple do it to be honest. I changed my screen and battery on a 6s+ in about 10 minutes and generally the tools needed come with the purchase. YouTube has some good footage guiding you through the necessary steps but they are fragile devices.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for taking it your nearest Apple store, swallow the extra few quid for complete peace of mind.

Master
    I did replace it myself, made a mess of it, and had to pay anyway!

Thanks all, my appointment is today :)

Craftsman
    Sounds like the OP is already doing this, but 100% take it to apple. Have replaced several this way now, great service - book it in, drop it off, pick up an hour or so later. Sorted.

Just remember to take the steps such as backing it up before and turn off find my iPhone as you drop it off (tells you what to do when you book it in).

£45 for a new battery? Seems cheap in comparison to what most jewellers will charge to unscrew a watch caseback, change the battery and screw it back. Why bother fiddling about with a piece of complex tech like an iPhone? Maybe if it was £145 but even then....ps I see the OP has booked it into Apple, that’s the only sensible option imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off-topic but it’s a shame Apple don’t have a reasonably priced service like this for replacing a home button with a manufacturing fault that manifested itself just three months out of warranty- they didn’t want to know and wanted to charge £260-odd to exchange a mini IPad that I’d bought new 15 months before. I’ve been a big apple user over the years but their attitude and lack of will to help totally stank.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Off-topic but it’s a shame Apple don’t have a reasonably priced service like this for replacing a home button with a manufacturing fault that manifested itself just three months out of warranty- they didn’t want to know and wanted to charge £260-odd to exchange a mini IPad that I’d bought new 15 months before. I’ve been a big apple user over the years but their attitude and lack of will to help totally stank.
    In my experience that's very strange Adrian, they usually can't do enough to help. Try taking it to a different Apple store.

Craftsman
    ismash charged £40. Half hour.
    So Apple price is reasonable if you can wait the time they take. In my case it was wait an hour to see the tech. Then 2 hours wait

I've just (had) replaced the battery on my Oneplus3

£48.50 including recorded postage

Www.squarerepair.co.uk in EC2, London

They did the work in about 120 minutes and I had the phone back in Cumbria the following morning. Battery life now back up to 3 days. Very good service

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Doesn't EU law cover you for this for 8 years?

I'm surprised they didn't help though as I've only had great service, including an old 5s phone that was four months out of warranty and I was expecting to pay to fix, but they replaced with a new phone FOC.