closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1st world problem - washing car :-)

Master

1st world problem - washing car :-)

On the home front we're (SWMBO+Self) are doing a temporary (c. 12 months) downsize move. As such we'll be going from a house with a double garage and big driveway to a 3-up-2-down with on street parking.... So how/where do people clean their cars when all you have is on street parking!? At the moment I spend at least an hour in the driveway with double snow foaming, 2 wash buckets, the whole 9 yards! Doing this outside on a poky side street is going to be interesting... I mean hose pipe running all the way through the house to get to the street for a start :-(

I value my paintwork so migrant hand job at the local supermarket or car wash is a no-no... better to leave it dirty!

Suggestions? :-)

Stay put and don’t move ?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Maybe consider a monthly maintenance wash from a recommended detailer who has premises locally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by speedypro1111 View Post
    Stay put and don’t move ?
    If I was honest that was my idea at the start but probably gone too far down the path now to turn back.

It was a choice to start the 'final' (well except for the pine box) move now or postpone for 3 years. Eventual aim is a larger retirement house in the lakes or dales but the 'lock-up-and-leave' is a necessity as a local crash pad closer to work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    Maybe consider a monthly maintenance wash from a recommended detailer who has premises locally?

I'm thinking this might be the best option. At the moment I clean the car every two weeks (used to be every weekend) but I might have to settle for a once a month with a mobile detailer at work.

Master
    Get an outside tap and get on with it, thousands are at it any given sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    migrant hand job at the local supermarket
    where do you shop?
    here in NZ im lucky to get a simple "hello" when shopping.

Get the car ceramic/diamond coated and don’t worry to much about cleaning it

@deerworrier: LOL!
    @OP: Try a non-migrant one instead, perhaps they’ll take more care of you.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 9th June 2019 at 08:03.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post

This is probably the best solution if you can't do it yourself.

D-I-Y Coin in the slot car wash ?

Haven't you got anything like this close to your new address ?

http://dscarwash.com/portfolio-items/vela-wash-england/

I use this local Vela car wash to get rid of the worst of the Winter grime, then hand finish @ home.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Get the car ceramic/diamond coated and don’t worry to much about cleaning it
    And then get on with life. Think how many hours/days/weeks of your life you’ve already wasted and how many more will be wasted. What could you achieve in that time?

How long do you even keep each car? If it’s a classic it makes a bit of sense but if you chop and change is it really necessary?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Buy a silver coloured car, they don't show the dirt! I've washed mine twice in the last 18 months. Whether it needed it or not ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    And then get on with life. Think how many hours/days/weeks of your life you’ve already wasted and how many more will be wasted. What could you achieve in that time?

How long do you even keep each car? If it’s a classic it makes a bit of sense but if you chop and change is it really necessary?
    If it's something he enjoys then it's not really wasted time......bit like browsing this site👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    If it's something he enjoys then it's not really wasted time......bit like browsing this site
    Agreed, I’m guilty of wasting time. I keep saying I should delete Tapatalk!

Now this sounds like a plan ....

I was just googling and found this recent article in my local rag:

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...h/?ref=mr&lp=2

Planners recommend approval of Swindon pub carpark carwash

Master
    Blog Entries
    Optimum No Rinse could be a solution

I currently have on street parking and do the whole 9 yards, get someone to install an outside tap then run an extension to the curb for the P/Washer - People do think i'm mental tho, I'm the only person in the street who even washes their car these days ( once a week, and a detail).

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post

Have you seen the stuff, I had it on my last car and my current car is booked in for it, all you do is point a hose at it or throw a bucket of water over it and all of the dirt falls off, that’s it, and it really is that easy. Dirt just doesn’t seem to stick to it. It’s worth the outlay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    I currently have on street parking and do the whole 9 yards, get someone to install an outside tap then run an extension to the curb for the P/Washer - People do think i'm mental tho, I'm the only person in the street who even washes their car these days ( once a week, and a detail).
    Outside tap/external mains socket is out because there is zero front yard/garden.... It's front door right onto the pavement which is probably only 3ft6". Too much temptation for someone to turn the tap on.... yes I know I could fit an indoor shut off but the other side of the front wall is the living room and a concrete floor so hard to hide these things.

In answer to a few comments: I like a clean shiny car so there

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Haven't you got anything like this close to your new address ?

http://dscarwash.com/portfolio-items/vela-wash-england/

I use this local Vela car wash to get rid of the worst of the Winter grime, then hand finish @ home.
    I use these type of places but although they do clean well, especially under wheel arches, the final finish can be a bit smeary. I over came this by buying some super type of squidgy plastic wiper blade thingy which I think I paid about £20 for at Halfords.

the car is now cleaned to perfection in less than 10 minutes. Hand washing on a drive is for masochists.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I use these type of places but although they do clean well, especially under wheel arches, the final finish can be a bit smeary. I over came this by buying some super type of squidgy plastic wiper blade thingy which I think I paid about £20 for at Halfords.

the car is now cleaned to perfection in less than 10 minutes. Hand washing on a drive is for masochists.
    I could actually feel my balls tightening and crawling up the pelvis while I was reading it..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I could actually feel my balls tightening and crawling up the pelvis while I was reading it..
    I don't care about your balls but the simple truth is that this squidgy plastic wiper blade thingy will wipe the water off in one stroke without leaving the slightest trace of water or smear and it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to go over the windows and paintwork of my Honda Civic.

It is simply brilliant. My ex boss bought one and recommended it to me and several of my friends have since bought one.

I don't care about my Honda Civic.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Downsize your car as well & buy something you don't care about. If you don't want to sell the existing one put it in storage.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    A Worx Hydroshot cordless PW may be worth a look - I’ve not tried one but the idea seems spot on.

I don't care about your balls but the simple truth is that this squidgy plastic wiper blade thingy will wipe the water off in one stroke without leaving the slightest trace of water or smear and it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to go over the windows and paintwork of my Honda Civic.

It is simply brilliant. My ex boss bought one and recommended it to me and several of my friends have since bought one.
    Never used buy a professional car detailer ever, for good reason.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Never used buy a professional car detailer ever, for good reason.
    I’ve got one of these, use it on the tiles and glass doors after a shower, and the windows after washing them.

Master
    I've never understood the combination of no off-road parking and fancy car. Get rid of the fancy car while you have no parking, buy one again when you do.

I parked my car on the road for years in London with no other option. I’m afraid multiple dings meant I treated the car with as much love as a fridge. It simply wasn’t worth worrying. A scratchy local hand wash never affected resale values one bit, nor did the odd ding. Now I have a double garage and a couple of nice (to me) cars, and I now wash them by hand and worry about dents in the local car park when I’m out shopping etc. On balance I preferred a mediocre car and not having to worry, personally I’d try not to worry and clean them/get a dent guy in once you’ve moved!

I'll show this thread to the Mrs, she hasn't had her car cleaned for best part of a year! Mine was only done because it had a bit of damage repair.

I salute people who spend large gobs of their life cleaning cars.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'll show this thread to the Mrs, she hasn't had her car cleaned for best part of a year! Mine was only done because it had a bit of damage repair.

Why thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

That's why I never shower, cut my finger/toe nails and go to barber.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Optimum No Rinse could be a solution

This or other water less car cleaners. I use mine with a spray bottle and few cloths , takes 15 mins and leaves a great finish

Craftsman
    I feel your pain! I like to do the whole 9 yards as well.

While I was working it was a regular Sunday afternoon once a fortnight job. Curiously now I’m retired it gets done less often.

I do Mrs C’s less often. The deal is I do the outside and she does the interior. Except she doesn’t. I’m convinced she’s making compost in the door bins

Master
    Pick a very wet day like now and drive fast on a motorway for 20mins. Cleans up nicely.

Master

Until it picks up some “grit” and gives nice even parallel scratches over the hole vehicle. Not recommended by any professional detailers

Craftsman
    migrant hand job at the local supermarket ... Snigger

It absolutely bucketed down last night, you could always wait for a good downpour and make with the wash brush etc. I did actually consider it as you never get water marks from rain as it is pure water without minerals as per tap water so easier to get a good finish. Plus you'll be doing your bit to save the planet.

Rain water picks up dust, pollen and other debris on the way down so it needs to be filtered or left for a few hours to allow any inclusions to settle. And you still need to dry paintwork manually after the wash otherwise residual water will pick up dust and what's not while it's drying.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Why drive yourself mad? find a decent car wash i pay £6 for the mini and £9 for the suv never had a problem will sometimes do it myself if i am feeling frisky but if so would rather think about the lady next door

Given the property details it suggests that your usual level of OCD in respect of car washing is going to be stressful to say the least!.

Pay somebody decent - only 12 months, a detailer would probably do you a decent price for a 12 month booking TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Rain water picks up dust, pollen and other debris on the way down so it needs to be filtered or left for a few hours to allow any inclusions to settle. And you still need to dry paintwork manually after the wash otherwise residual water will pick up dust and what's not while it's drying.
    Is pollen a problem? What about micrometeorites?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is pollen a problem? What about micrometeorites?
    Yep, wet pollen more precise, once it's stuck to the paintwork it will attract more dust and particles so the car will look dirty much quicker. Micrometeorites are fine, moon dust on other hand is a nightmare to clay out
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    It absolutely bucketed down last night, you could always wait for a good downpour and make with the wash brush etc. I did actually consider it as you never get water marks from rain as it is pure water without minerals as per tap water so easier to get a good finish. Plus you'll be doing your bit to save the planet.
    I have done that several times, two minute car wash!

Journeyman
    You could try ONR rinseless wash, highly regarded amongst detailers:

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...ight=rinseless