closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blancpain releases 2019

Blancpain releases 2019

I think the Blancpain have been pretty good so far. Definitely deserves its own thread.

Let us start with the new Air Command (bloody brilliant) though totally out of reach at CHF18,500 - https://www.ablogtowatch.com/blancpa...nograph-watch/

Next up the Barakuda - 40mm and again lovely with the FP 1151 movement (unusual choice).
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/blancpa...arakuda-watch/

I also believe there is a new FF in Titanium (seen on IG). When information comes out I'll update this post (and anything else!)

Craftsman
    The Barakuda will fly off the shelves at 40mm

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Hopefully should have a Barakuda incoming to join my Milspec.

Only annoyance is... why didn't they put the date at 3, and add the coin edge bezel to the Milspec :(

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Hopefully should have a Barakuda incoming to join my Milspec.

Only annoyance is... why didn't they put the date at 3, and add the coin edge bezel to the Milspec :(
    Jup - this elevates it beyond the Milspec. Whats the UK pricing? I really like the Barakuda, but would require me to sell some things off to acquire.

Some nice looking watches, shame they are way out of my price range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Jup - this elevates it beyond the Milspec. Whats the UK pricing? I really like the Barakuda, but would require me to sell some things off to acquire.
    £10.8k is what i was told this morning when I was chasing it up.
    (£300 more than the Milspec was if IIRC)

The strap is cool too, hopefully it comes in human and size and not for a 4” wrist, lol

Craftsman
    Barakuda looks pretty cool .Too expensive for me sadly

Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

£10.8k is what i was told this morning when I was chasing it up.
    (£300 more than the Milspec was if IIRC)

The strap is cool too, hopefully it comes in human and size and not for a 4” wrist, lol
    Ok, a fair enough conversion. Has the strap size been an issue in the past?

Blog Entries
    Both look fantastic but at only 500 of each I doubt I could get either .

Ok, a fair enough conversion. Has the strap size been an issue in the past?
    Ahhh The Milspec strap saga...

Short version is, the Milspec’s sailcloth is super short (almost as if it was intended to have a deployant clasp)
    I don’t exactly have large wrists and i was on the 2nd to last hole, which isnt ideal or secure.

I’m hoping the “tropic” is better sized so its wearable out the box. :)

Master
    Chrono looks very decent on the website. I'd be happy with the standard FF if it was reduced to 42mm and came on bracelet.

I’ve got the Barakuda on order. Looking forward to this but it will have to replace my 16610 in the collection.

Both of them look really smart

If I didn't already have the Mil-Spec I'd definitely be going after that Barakuda... gorgeous watch.

Blog Entries
    I’ve had no joy ordering, any advice by pm would be appreciated.

Master
    Lovely watches, the Barakuda ticks a lot of boxes and I would imagine will sell out quickly.

Master
    The chrono is great but at 30m water resistance not really a sports watch unfortunately...

Master
    That Barakuda is sweet!

The Air Command is one of the nicest chronographs I've seen in a while. As mentioned, not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    The Air Command is one of the nicest chronographs I've seen in a while. As mentioned, not cheap.
    Eddie comes close with the PRS-45 - best alternative for us paupers!

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    I’ve got the Barakuda on order. Looking forward to this but it will have to replace my 16610 in the collection.
    What ETA you’ve been given please?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I have the option of the Barakuda from a dealer (which is great as I missed out on the Mil Spec!), but they have requested an immediate 50% deposit. Is this the new norm? 50% seems a tad steep. I have another option at 20%, but much further away.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I have the option of the Barakuda from a dealer (which is great as I missed out on the Mil Spec!), but they have requested an immediate 50% deposit. Is this the new norm? 50% seems a tad steep. I have another option at 20%, but much further away.
    Seems high - when will they get the watch to you, and is it refundable if you decide you don’t like it?

Blog Entries
    looks like delivery of these is November

Master
    Seems like a very long time to be hanging on to that much cash

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Seems like a very long time to be hanging on to that much cash
    The deposit seems to be becoming a worrying trend - especially at 50%. I can understand for some micro brands where cashflow may be an issue, but don't get the reasoning here. Surely 10-20% is enough for 'registering' an intent to purchase. 50% seems really high.

The deposit seems to be becoming a worrying trend - especially at 50%. I can understand for some micro brands where cashflow may be an issue, but don't get the reasoning here. Surely 10-20% is enough for 'registering' an intent to purchase. 50% seems really high.
    I paid for the Milspec in full when it was announced.
    Admitedly this was more of a gamble to avoid bexit related price fluctuation.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, delivery in November, so 6 months. Admittedly any lost interest is relatively low (say 3% in offset mortgage) and cheaper than a trip to London or Guernsey. It’s more the principle than annoys me, where RRP is no longer the price you pay. I could pay on a 0% card I guess.

On the payment in full point, I didn’t think this generally avoided future price increases prior to collection (e.g. if paying 6 months in advance)?

Craftsman
    Might stop the flippers, if they have to put down 50% on every watch they have their name down for.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, delivery in November, so 6 months. Admittedly any lost interest is relatively low (say 3% in offset mortgage) and cheaper than a trip to London or Guernsey. It’s more the principle than annoys me, where RRP is no longer the price you pay. I could pay on a 0% card I guess.

On the payment in full point, I didn’t think this generally avoided future price increases prior to collection (e.g. if paying 6 months in advance)?

Yes I agree on principle it annoys me. As I said, understandable with a micro brand where it is likely to be a cashflow issue. As for avoiding future increases, I think it very much depends on brands as well.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Might stop the flippers, if they have to put down 50% on every watch they have their name down for.

Deposits are generally refundable. So you could shift money around or use 0% cards, but I guess it may make a few profiteers pause. Though a lot of them do this pretty much as a business so they likely have enough cash to play the game.

A couple of wrist shots taken this weekend,

The Air Command is a winner in my books :)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx4uO3FHiFU

Barakuda ain’t half bad!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx5LYZ2nTwR

Both are lovely👍

They certainly are lovely! Of all the reissues by any brand those two are way up there
    Gray

Master
    That air command is something else. Does the bezel ratchet the other way to most diver type watches as the 15 and 45 minute marks are the wrong way round ?

A couple of wrist shots taken this weekend,

The Air Command is a winner in my books :)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx4uO3FHiFU

Barakuda ain’t half bad!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx5LYZ2nTwR
    Brilliant mate - was wondering on IG how you’d got one so soon! As suspected the air command is the big winner, thinking of getting that?

I like the Barakuda, but actually think the your milspec is slightly nicer. Prefer the dial and in general I am not a ‘vintage’ lume fan. I’m assuming it’s a different movement in the milspec? Still a lovely watch this Barakuda.

There is also this

Master
    I put a deposit on the Barracuda this week. I haven’t bought a watch in nearly two years so I’m genuinely excited. Its with a BP boutique and I’ve been told I’ll be allocated the first that arrives.

I’m starting to lose a bit of passion for watches so I feel this could be my exit watch. Anyway, it’s going to be my daily wearer for a while as my collection almost exclusively vintage at present.

I wanted the Milspec since it was launched and came close a couple of times but lack of watch funds meant I couldn’t commit. I’d be happy with either but I’m glad I’m buying it new.

I’d be interested to see if it sells out, I know the milspec didn’t immediately but times have changed even in two years. It’s amazing that Omega can sell 7000 with ease while BP are only doing 500. I know there is a price difference buts it’s not as much as would have been a few years ago.

Master
    Lovely watch, if that doesn’t revive your interest in watches.......but it will.

I’m assuming it’s a different movement in the milspec? Still a lovely watch this Barakuda.
    Same movement in the Mil Spec and the Barakuda - the Frederic Piguet cal. 1151. Really like the Barakuda, was annoyed to miss the Mil Spec. Looking forward to a side-by-side comparison at some point.

Same movement in the Mil Spec and the Barakuda - the Frederic Piguet cal. 1151. Really like the Barakuda, was annoyed to miss the Mil Spec. Looking forward to a side-by-side comparison at some point.
    I put a pic up on instagram, just not had time to upload the rest of the Barakuda prototype pics i took.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx5zj9DnJwV/

They’re very similar, but stylistically different, the Barakuda definately has a better vintage tool vibe (matte dial, date at 3, coin edge bezel), Milspec on the other hand is more high end tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    That air command is something else. Does the bezel ratchet the other way to most diver type watches as the 15 and 45 minute marks are the wrong way round ?
    Bi-directional friction bezel, so there’s no clicks.

Master
    ^^^ Thanks, perhaps it's a deliberate accident like the Rolex air king double 9. Should be worth a fortune now. 藍

https://youtu.be/mDyFyynEe4U

Forgot to mention the 45/15 markers are the opposite way round as its a countdown timer which I believe is more useful for pilots/artillery than the count up/elapsed time bezels of dive watches.

In the real world, far more useful for timing pizza’s in the oven :p

update with some more pics from the weekend playing with the prototypes,
    there's more pics on instagram since it's the easiest way to dump pics off my phone, than trying to link every pic.

Blancpain Fifty Farhoms Nageurs de Combat - (gallery) Click for Instagram Gallery

Blancpain Air Command - Click for Instagram Gallery

And the ones folk are waiting for,

Blancpain Barakuda (with side by side comparison to the milspec) - Click for Instagram Gallery

The only criticism I could place on the Air Command is its a bit 'Bremont-y' with the rotor

Side by side, the Barakuda does look pretty awesome - the date at 3 makes a huge difference.

As a simple three-hander the Barakuda is absolutely beautiful. Everything about it, for me at least, is on the money. I've read quite a bit of criticism of the faux aged lume but for me it's an essential part of the overall aesthetic.

The only criticism I could place on the Air Command is its a bit 'Bremont-y' with the rotor

Side by side, the Barakuda does look pretty awesome - the date at 3 makes a huge difference.
    Admitedely, the rotor did make me sigh, its a bit gash and i'd prefer something simple, upside you can't see it when it's on the wrist lol, and they make up for it by the semi-skeletonized gears which look cool.

Date at 3, coin edge bezel, tropic strap, vintage white hands... almost perfect.
    Photoshop of what could have been

It's all about opinions Endo and mine is that the actual watch is way nicer than your mock-up.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It's all about opinions Endo and mine is that the actual watch is way nicer than your mock-up.
    Differences of opinon are good, otherwise we'd all be be clamouring at AD's for the same watches lol

The way I look at it is, the new Barakuda is a nice moderised re-reissue of the original Barakuda, it has clear references to the original but with design in line with the existing FF Fathoms (even if the case it's in is more than a decade old), and Its convey's the purposeful nature of the original watch well, matte dial (and reduced text), high contrast hands and visible date.

Then I look at the Milspec, which don't get me wrong I love otherwise I wouldn't own it, and the only real link to the original design is the moisture indicator. Despite the printed dial, the fact that the dial is sunburst makes it feel like more of a high end homage.
    I think with a few elements of the Barakuda even just the coin edge bezel and date at 3 (could be a black date wheel), would have elevated the design so it was more in keeping with the original.
    Plus the folk that moan about date windows on the skew would have less to complain about, at least they can't complain about the lume color LOL

Thanks for the update and photos Mike. I can only view on my phone (at work) but the Barakuda looks a little larger than the MilSpec (maybe the coin edge?). I'm still keen on the Barakuda, so definitely still going for it.

I've always envisioned my "ideal FF" as being your mocked up version (maybe 42mm instead of 40.3mm) with gloss dial but without the moisture indicator - but in reality the lack of colour might kill it.

How matt is the Barakuda dial in reality? In some photos, it doesn't seem very matt. It's maybe clearer when I can view full screen later.

Thanks again.