closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Used camera lenses

Journeyman

Used camera lenses

Has anyone bought used camera lenses on eBay? Just wondering whether it's worth doing or to play it safe and go brand new or even grey market. Does the glass or AF noticeably degrade?

Master
    Yes but not from eBay. Talk Photography Classifieds and MPB.com.

Currently have a Canon Fd 50mm macro which I use on my Sony. It’s 40 years old and gives very acceptable images.

Ffordes are great for secondhand lens.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Yes but not from eBay. Talk Photography Classifieds and MPB.com.

Currently have a Canon Fd 50mm macro which I use on my Sony. It’s 40 years old and gives very acceptable images.
    Thanks. Any reason you don't use eBay for lenses?

Master
    I've recently used MPB to great results.

London camera exchange “used” section has always served me well

Mark

Master
    Feeling a little nostalgic a few months ago, I bought a couple of 35mm Contax bodies and then sourced a few Zeiss lenses from eBay.

All were very accurately described (e.g."Exc++" etc) and sent from Japan. Great lenses IMHO though perhaps not quite what the OP had in mind.

Last edited by stiglet; 15th May 2019 at 06:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    Thanks. Any reason you don't use eBay for lenses?
    No real reason- for some reason just don’t feel as comfortable, but if paid for with Paypal then you do have comeback as a buyer if anything goes wrong.

Master
    I tend to use photo equivalent of forums like TZ-UK, but have used Ebay in the past with good results. Just check on arrival for operations, marks on the glass and any internal fungus - and good to pick a seemingly decent seller if there's option to do so.

In recent past I’ve purchased 2 x Fujifilm X-T1 bodies and a couple of lenses off eBay. As with any eBay purchase, do your research and avoid any deals that look too good to be true.

Both bodies in as as good a condition as MPB’s “like new” description but that’s another story, probably best posted in the Bear Pit...

Yes. I got a beercan, which was equally as good as it is hyped-up to be. You won't find them in Wex. The glass doesn't degrade as far as I know. My bins are 2000 pre-unleaded Nikon glass, still a superb view. Fungus can grow inside the lens so this needs a check.

Used camera lenses

I’ve bought and sold lenses on eBay w/o problem.

Think certain other categories (mobile phones, computer components, watches) attract scammers and I’d be wary of those.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 15th May 2019 at 11:18.

Master
    I sold a Leica Noctilux through ebay a few years ago but insisted that the buyer came to my home to inspect the goods and pay with cash.

Lens can suffer with fungus growth inside but you can see it if you hold the lens up to a light. It is however comparatively rare.

If I was buying, I would use ebay and pay with paypal and hence you have all the protection you need. I would also get the seller to confirm that there are no cracks, fungus or any other defect that requires a repair. That way you got him by the you know what.

Harrison Cameras of Sheffield are good to deal with, I've had various bits from them. They give a 12 month warranty on used equipment.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    bought plenty of camera gear off ebay, alot of the big camera shops are on ebay, so you can buy new if you wish

Have a look at eGlobal Central. Their new prices sometimes cheaper than used on eBay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Have a look at eGlobal Central. Their new prices sometimes cheaper than used on eBay.
    Presumably a grey importer (which many people don't have an issue with) but worth being aware.

I have, well worth doing. Just check out the seller the best you can. Some are 'proper' camera shops and also list on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Feeling a little nostalgic a few months ago, I bought a couple of 35mm Contax bodies and then sourced a few Zeiss lenses from eBay.
    Very nice! I still have my 139 from my film photography days - I always wanted an RTS or RTS II but couldn't afford one back then.

I think I may also still have my 50mm f1.4 Planar T*, which was regarded by many as probably the best 50mm lens in the world at the time.

Journeyman
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll check out the various websites to see what is available.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I always wanted an RTS or RTS II but couldn't afford one back then.
    Me too! Had to settle for a Yachica FR - which was a very nice camera. I wish they made a digital SLR as small and simple as the old 35mm SLRs.

Nice cameras, I had a 137MD.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Me too! Had to settle for a Yachica FR - which was a very nice camera. I wish they made a digital SLR as small and simple as the old 35mm SLRs.
    Might be worth looking at the mirrorless Sony A7 series, i’ve just switched from Nikon partly due to the small size and excellent image quality from the Zeiss lens.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Might be worth looking at the mirrorless Sony A7 series, i’ve just switched from Nikon partly due to the small size and excellent image quality from the Zeiss lens.

Thanks, I'll do that! I bought a couple of Canon DSLRs and they are great cameras but way to big and heavy.

Although size is (as ever important) it's also the confusion of options on a DSLR. The good old days it was shutter speed, aperture and focus - so you concentrated on the image not messing with settings all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    The good old days it was shutter speed, aperture and focus - so you concentrated on the image not messing with settings all the time!

That's available on the settings dial marked M (manual) on most cameras even now, so I believe . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That's available on the settings dial marked M (manual) on most cameras even now, so I believe . . .
    I have lenses that've never been used in any other setting.

eBay is eBay, diligence is needed with complete strangers. I've bought (and sold) a fair number of lenses on there without a problem.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I purchased a lens for my Sony 6000 from of all places Computer Exchange, they had one available locally to where I was working at the time and offer a years warranty as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    I went from Olympus EM-10 to a Sony A7iii. Use it with a Tamron zoom, a lovely manual Voightlander 40mm f1.2 and a couple of Canon FD’s.

The Sony is nice and compact, takes loads of different lenses (with an adapter) and once set up very easy to use and full frame too.

Journeyman
    Never purchased from eBay for used camera/ lenses.
    I have used LCE , Harrisons Cameras, Cliftons Cameras, all with excellent results
    There is a lot to consider buying used. Fungus on the glass, auto focus's and general condition.
    I might consider eBay if it was for a manual lens but for complicated electronics I personally would not.
    I recently purchased a refurbished XT1 camera and 18-135 lens from Fuji, fully guaranteed for 12 months and like new.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I’d prefer just the manual controls and smaller camera.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Very nice! I still have my 139 from my film photography days - I always wanted an RTS or RTS II but couldn't afford one back then.

I think I may also still have my 50mm f1.4 Planar T*, which was regarded by many as probably the best 50mm lens in the world at the time.
    It was! I had that lens on a 167MT and it was a cracker!

Craftsman
    Because although there seem to be a few happy ebay customers on here, ebay is also the place where people chance their arm at selling shite. No hope selling it to a reputable 2nd hand dealer so off to ebay it goes. You'll pay more at a dealer but guaranteed a quality product, ebay is mainly luck.

I’ve bought second hand from London Camera Exchange.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Because although there seem to be a few happy ebay customers on here, ebay is also the place where people chance their arm at selling shite. No hope selling it to a reputable 2nd hand dealer so off to ebay it goes. You'll pay more at a dealer but guaranteed a quality product, ebay is mainly luck.
    This is pretty accurate comment, you can find the odd ‘pearl’ but they are few and far between!

I love comments like No dust in the lens ‘as far as I can see’ and ‘I don’t know how to get a shutter count’

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    I must be very lucky then because I’ve never bought shite.

Journeyman
    As above, Talk Photography.

I've bought and sold cameras, lenses and all manner of accessories on there without issue. I am wary of eBay.

Journeyman
    I bought a few lenses fro eBay, always turned out just fine. As long as the seller has a good rep you should be fine.