closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help me value this please...

Help me value this please...

Spur of the moment madness finds me buying a new car last bank holiday Monday and really stretching myself. So I need a mass cull on the collection.

I have spoken to Watchfinder about some others which I know the going rate on but this GMTIIc is really puzzling me as they just had a considerable rise in value. It was serviced by Rolex in 2017 so I am 100% happy that all is ok. Its a 2007 watch, with cards and instruction book in the green box but no outer. The main concern with me is that at some point it was polished and its lost its sharp edges on the case shoulders. If it wasn't for this I would be able to put a figure on it.

Watchfinder are quoting me £5.8 -6K on inspection and I am sure this polishing will knock the price down but I don't know what I should realistically accept for it.

This isn't a sales post, I am just a bit lost on the market value of this one as it has shot up in price with the recent discontinuation.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want WF to pull my pants down.

better angle to see the polishing...

Help me value this please...

I’d send it to Watchfinder if you’re happy with what they’ve quoted. If they try to lowball you further then just refuse and have it sent back to you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    From bad experience they will try to pull your pants down and will probably offer £5000 as it will need a full polish etc, it'll then be listed on their site for around £9000.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    From bad experience they will try to pull your pants down and will probably offer £5000 as it will need a full polish etc, it'll then be listed on their site for around £9000.
    It wont need another polish as it is ok since the service but I am more concerned with what is the bottom line I should take from WF. Do they normally go lower than the minimum they quote? Never dealt with them before.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes you think it doesn’t need a polish but they will.

I sold a speedmaster to them a few years ago which I had always worn on a leather strap the bracelet had been used for approx 3 days and then put back In the box, they insisted the bracelet needed a polish before they could sell.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Watchfinder are pant pullers but this isn't news. If you aren't happy with what they quote post inspection, refuse it. They may raise. Plus there's a fairly large chance that they won't notice what you perceive to be softened shoulders as they're a volume company and unlikely to spend hours studying condition beyond cursory inspection.

That said, the *true* value hasn't risen massively since it was discontinued. People like to think it has but its a common watch with huge numbers available.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Watchfinder are pant pullers but this isn't news. If you aren't happy with what they quote post inspection, refuse it. They may raise. Plus there's a fairly large chance that they won't notice what you perceive to be softened shoulders as they're a volume company and unlikely to spend hours studying condition beyond cursory inspection.

That said, the *true* value hasn't risen massively since it was discontinued. People like to think it has but its a common watch with huge numbers available.
    OK good idea I wont even mention it. I will just go in to store as a normal non WIS and let them look. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    OK good idea I wont even mention it. I will just go in to store as a normal non WIS and let them look. cheers.
    Always do that regardless.

Craftsman
    Seems like a fair trade offer

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    I had the same dilema a while back with a Speedmaster, sold it on here in perfect condition and after a year or so traded it back off the same guy. The underside of the lugs were scratched to hell, so much so that I couldn't keep it, so off it went to Watchfinder. I was convinced they would notice and knock the price down, but nothing. I could even see the scratches on their listing and the thing sold in a few days.

So I agree, with volume they are just doing their series of routine checks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

I’d be very surprised if WF didn’t notice the soft edges on this watch, very obviously rounded.

I’d say they would be well within reason wanting it polished before sale, I’d certainly not want to buy a modern Rolex that had been softened like that on the case edges. Surely they can do this in house though so should it really effect their offer that much?

Might be worth ringing them and saying they’d need to polish it & asking about value then. It’s more likely you’ll get “sure it’ll be ok, send it in” then get the guy’s name and you have some ammunition. Then if/when they say “sorry sir it’s £500 less as it needs a polish” you can say you spoke to Dave on Wednesday and he said blah blah.

I have always found them really good when i have sold them anything.

As has been mentioned they buy in volume so I doubt they would even notice any over polishing. The cheapest is over £8k on the website so i would hold out for £6k.

Journeyman
    I almost sold my 2011 gmt to help buy a plot of land a few weeks ago just before it was discontinued. The best offer I had was a direct purchase from watchmaster of £7110. My watch is unpolished though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tell them nothing and see what they say.I found them ok on popular/desirable models.Sold my seamaster to them which cost me 800 and needed servicing , and they gave me 1600 against another watch so i was happy

Journeyman
    I’ve also sold watches to watchfinder and found the experience fine.

I mean you’re getting cash and cash is king so you’ve got to expect to take a little
    Hit.

I am not even sending it in. Will take it to the store personally. Let's see what they end up giving. Rolex gave it a polish at service last year so at least the PCLs look great.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I have always found them really good when i have sold them anything.

As has been mentioned they buy in volume so I doubt they would even notice any over polishing. The cheapest is over £8k on the website so i would hold out for £6k.
    Why would they not? Serious question, but they must still spend a little time 'evaluating' a watch before commiting to an offer, surely. If they don't then all they are doing is passing on, an overpolished piece that would by-pass the normal WIS scrutinty. But then we are in a minority I suppose, so fair-do's, that's their business model is suppose.
    I did purchase a Breitling SO chrono' from their Maidstone office a few years ago & to be fair it was immaculate & exactly as described, with all boxes & paperwork present at a fair price IMHO.

Journeyman
    Before the discontinuation WF were bidding around £5k for this watch, so they have actually increased their bid substantially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    There’s so much metal to play with on these, it shouldn’t be difficult to restore the sharpness.

TBH I'm a little amazed that Rolex didn't refinish it on a lapping machine and return it crisp as new.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    There’s so much metal to play with on these, it shouldn’t be difficult to restore the sharpness.
    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Agd47 View Post
    I almost sold my 2011 gmt to help buy a plot of land a few weeks ago just before it was discontinued. The best offer I had was a direct purchase from watchmaster of £7110. My watch is unpolished though.

Watchmaster tie you in for 12 months on commission sale, so figure always higher what I learned. And if you pull the plug within 12 months when they don't sell the watch they charger you the 19% they would have got.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Watchmaster tie you in for 12 months on commission sale, so figure always higher what I learned. And if you pull the plug within 12 months when they don't sell the watch they charger you the 19% they would have got.

That's if it's a commission sale. I had two offers one was them to sell and they'll take a cut of a higher price or do a direct purchase there and then for £7110 which I decided against.

Quote Originally Posted by Agd47 View Post
    That's if it's a commission sale. I had two offers one was them to sell and they'll take a cut of a higher price or do a direct purchase there and then for £7110 which I decided against.

Ok that never happened when I had quotes

I sold a watch with Watchmaster. Had the option of commission (13%, 3 month tie in) or sale.

They sold it in 2 months.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

update on this. They offered the bottom line £5800 for it which considering I need to pay for the summer holiday I accepted. I am glad they didn't knock me down more so its fine with me.