closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dealer misplaced Rolex warranty card

Apprentice

Dealer misplaced Rolex warranty card

Just looking for thoughts and next course of action on this. I purchased a Rolex Sub just over 2 years from an AD while on my travels. About 5 weeks ago, the watch just stopped one morning (probable needs a separate thread). The watch had not taken any knock that wouldn't have been considered normal wear and tear and there there no visible dings on the watch. I brought into my local AD and they said that they would send it straight to Rolex as it was only just over 2 years old. They asked for the warranty card and I supplied it to them.
    Fast forward 4 weeks, watch returned, seems to be working fine but no reappearance of warranty card. This is not a watch I intend to sell but I may think differently in 2 years time. If I do sell, the absence of a warranty card would affect the resale value. They first tried the - are you sure you gave us the warranty card? route and I was adamant that the sales assistant specifically asked for it in order to return to Rolex. I let them know that either the shop has misplaced it or Rolex have (not sure if the card is shipped with the watch for repair???)
    Any thoughts on what to do next? I was thinking of asking for the security footage which would show the assistant taking the card. But not sure if it would still be available or if they woudl offer it if it shows them in the wrong.

Phone Rolex and ask their advice?

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Replacement watch - defo

Master
    Google "Subject Access Request" --- they have to provide or show you cctv coverage of yourself in the store, unless of course they don't have it. Typically stores might keep cctv for only a rolling week or month, but it's worth considering.

Replacement cards are available to main agents under certain circumstances, but at a significant cost to them.

I think there is a chance your card will turn up yet, most likely at the retailer.

Rolex UK do make mistakes --- oh, indeed --- but generally they are solid on returning what they receive.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 6th March 2019 at 10:56.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Google "Subject Access Request" --- they have to provide or show you cctv coverage of yourself in the store, unless of course they don't have it. Typically stores might keep cctv for only a rolling week or month, but it's worth considering.

Replacement cards are available to main agents under certain circumstances, but at a significant cost to them.

I think there is a chance your card will turn up yet, most likely at the retailer.

Rolex UK do make mistakes --- oh, indeed --- but generally they are solid on returning what they receive.

H
    Thanks for reply - will hold out to see if it turns up in next few days before I go in guns blazing. Its been a month since I went in so unlikely footage is still available but will ask anyway.

Apprentice
    Does anyone know if the warranty card is sent with the watch to Rolex if its an under warranty repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Davd View Post
    Does anyone know if the warranty card is sent with the watch to Rolex if its an under warranty repair?
    Usually not. On the two times I’ve been asked to supply proof of warranty I’ve provided a photo of the warranty card by email to the AD.

Presumably you are saying you took it to a different AD from the one you purchased, and that you left the card with them along with the watch?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    They can get a replacement card, not sure if there is a time limit. I have had a new one ordered at cost. As the AD put my full name and address on card, with out asking. I said I was not confortable with my villa dress being on the card.

Quite annoying when they insist on retaining the card then prove they are incapable of looking after it tbh. I’m sure they will replace easily enough but not really the point.

Master
    This is really annoying, but it also occurs to me, what happens with the current dealers keeping the cards for a watch you buy now? What happens if they lose it, or get broken into and your card goes? I assume in that case Rolex sorts you out, but frankly it shows how crazy the withholding of warranty cards is.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    This is really annoying, but it also occurs to me, what happens with the current dealers keeping the cards for a watch you buy now? What happens if they lose it, or get broken into and your card goes? I assume in that case Rolex sorts you out, but frankly it shows how crazy the withholding of warranty cards is.
    Yes, we need a thread to discuss this.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Usually not. On the two times I’ve been asked to supply proof of warranty I’ve provided a photo of the warranty card by email to the AD.

Presumably you are saying you took it to a different AD from the one you purchased, and that you left the card with them along with the watch?
    Yes, this exactly. Bought watch in UK and brought to AD in Ireland. They requested warranty card before sending to Rolex. Then they asked if I was sure I handed in the card. Which led me to question whether cards are sent with the watch if under warranty? If they are, then why are they asking if I was sure I handed over the card!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, we need a thread to discuss this.

One is not enough, we need a dozen or so threads just so the topic is speculated upon thoroughly.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    One is not enough, we need a dozen or so threads just so the topic is speculated upon thoroughly.
    Sarcasm is deserved iMHO, but at the same time

"how dare we have multiple threads about something to do with watches on a watch forum" is not, really, worth worrying about :)
    Last edited by redsox78; 6th March 2019 at 12:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Davd View Post
    Yes, this exactly. Bought watch in UK and brought to AD in Ireland. They requested warranty card before sending to Rolex. Then they asked if I was sure I handed in the card. Which led me to question whether cards are sent with the watch if under warranty? If they are, then why are they asking if I was sure I handed over the card!
    Your repair will have been given a repair number by Rolex upon receipt of the watch.

Ask the AD for the Rolex repair number and then ring Rolex direct, quote their repair no. and ask them if they received the warranty card from the AD with your watch.

If they say no then that narrows down your search back to the AD.

Rolex do always want the warranty card for a correction job if it's the first time it has been sent back under that warranty.

If the AD has lost the card they will have to order a replacement card at their expense.

Master
    OP, without blowing his cover, let me tell you that Oracle writes with authority on this matter!

Anything else he writes may be rambling tosh, of course.

Master
    Do Rolex issue ‘replacement’ cards?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Do Rolex issue ‘replacement’ cards?
    Would translating post #4 into any other language help?
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 6th March 2019 at 13:22.

Master
    Would translating post #4 into any other language help?
    Finnish would be good. Especially the unspecified ‘under certain circumstances’ bit.
    What circumstances qualify...would the OPs case fit the criteria?
    I think we should be told.....
    Last edited by paskinner; 6th March 2019 at 13:30.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Finnish would be good. Especially the unspecified ‘under certain circumstances’ bit.
    What circumstances qualify...would the OPs case fit the criteria?
    I think we should be told.....
    Lähetitkö sinut häiritsemään?

Voinko osoittaa sinut suuntaan Watchuseek?

I've seen the note to main agents and it specifically says "where the client has a special relationship with his AD."

Ok, it doesn't, but I have seen it and it doesn't really set out criteria in detail, instead setting out what the main agent will pay under different circumstances, such as to replace a card that has been incorrectly completed at point of sale.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 6th March 2019 at 13:46.

Master

Voisinko osoittaa sinut kellosuuntaan?
    Laughed out loud at that!

OP, without blowing his cover, let me tell you that Oracle writes with authority on this matter!

Anything else he writes may be rambling tosh, of course.
    This is why I love Haywood so much

Voinko osoittaa sinut suuntaan Watchuseek?

I've seen the note to main agents and it specifically says "where the client has a special relationship with his AD."

Ok, it doesn't, but I have seen it and it doesn't really set out criteria in detail, instead setting out what the main agent will pay under different circumstances, such as to replace a card that has been incorrectly completed at point of sale.
    So you start at the Finnish Haywood?

Craftsman
    Very unfortunate. Let’s hope the AD makes things right

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    So you start at the Finnish Haywood?
    He's been to Finnishing School.

Master
    This made me think of a similar tale where I recall the missing item had been secreted into the accompanying box but the owner just hadn't realised. That was the gist anyway so mentioned just in case it's that obvious...

Dealer misplaced Rolex warranty card

It’s probably been said but the retaining of warranty cards is not Rolex policy.
    If your AD loses it, then its you and them. I suppose they could get a replacement from Rolex but it’s not a given.
    OP hope it shows up in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Rolex do always want the warranty card for a correction job if it's the first time it has been sent back under that warranty.
    Not in my experience. I have taken a Rolex to St James for slight adjustment as it was running a tad fast. I didn’t have the warranty card with me. I handed the watch over to the technician who checked the serial number on the case and did some magic look up on their systems. Took it as it was still under warranty. Correction was done within the hour and all sealed and they updated the records to have me as the owner as well.

Of courae being a fully paid up TZer I sold the watch on a few months later! (Full disclosure to new owner with service paperwork included I might add - and the warrantybcard included btw.)

Just putting this forward as empirical evidence. Not trying to dismiss anything anyone is saying.

Makes the whole warranty card thing a farce IMHO.

To the OP hopefully the AD will get a replacement sorted for you soon. They are made of plastic not unobtanium.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th March 2019 at 19:33.

Master
    Subscribed with interest; keen to see how this one plays out - the OP has my sympathy and I wish them the very best of luck in getting it resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Not in my experience. I have taken a Rolex to St James for slight adjustment as it was running a tad fast. I didn’t have the warranty card with me. I handed the watch over to the technician who checked the serial number on the case and did some magic look up on their systems. Took it as it was still under warranty. Correction was done within the hour and all sealed and they updated the records to have me as the owner as well.

Of courae being a fully paid up TZer I sold the watch on a few months later! (Full disclosure to new owner with service paperwork included I might add - and the warrantybcard included btw.)

Just putting this forward as empirical evidence. Not trying to dismiss anything anyone is saying.

Makes the whole warranty card thing a farce IMHO.

To the OP hopefully the AD will get a replacement sorted for you soon. They are made of plastic not unobtanium.

Martyn.
    I think St James have a slightly different policy to Kings Hill as they get many more "Drop-Ins". And since all warranties are automatically registered at Rolex tracking the date the watch was sold is instant.

My own Datejust 41 has had to go back twice for issues with timekeeping since I first got it last April . The first time Kings Hill insisted on having the Warranty Card which proves I get no preferential treatment as an AD. Because it has recently had to go back a second time they said there was no need to send the card again. Just got the watch back today so will be keeping close tabs on how it performs!!!