closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend a.... wireless doorbell!

Recommend a.... wireless doorbell!

A rather peculiar topic, however we've been through 2 wireless doorbells, and neither have been reliable!

First up, a reputable Byron doorbell. Worked ok but soon began to 'lose connectivity' to the internal speaker unit (which was plugged into power) - meaning we could not rely on it!

Now we've got a Honeywell (https://livewell.honeywellhome.com/en/doorbells/) and it's also started playing up, by not always ringing. E.g. if you press and hold the button outside, it will eventually communicate with the internal speaker and sound. However, your typical guest does not press and holldd, they simply press, as one would expect. The doorbell more often than not does not ring. We've missed deliveries because of it. So....

...can anyone recommend a wireless doorbell that, simply works?! (before we buy another Honeywell/Resideo) model

EDIT: not a smart 'Ring' type, a simple one that just works.
    Last edited by cman; 12th February 2019 at 21:43.

Interested in this too. Don’t get a ring 2, despite being about 3 metres from the router it won’t work properly, bought a chime pro and it still doesn’t work. A doorbell that won’t pick up a signal through a wall is useless...

Had one of these for 18 mths and it is not dead yet. Works as it should.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Required-Wi...JJJ07KGYT0KV3R

I got sick of missing the door due to non working doorbells, this is the latest one, no battery, which is great, only a few months in so far, but It works a treat!

Craftsman
    We were kindly given a RING doorbell by the local constabularly following a break in last year.
    Brilliant covert camera. Terrible doorbell. Not fit for purpose
    Countless times visitors were left standing on the front porch. Unbeknowinging to them that the device had chosen not to announce their presence, due to temporarily falling out with the internal speaker.
    In fact it was so bad that we stopped using it altogether. So available at a discount price if anybody wants it. Did I mention that it is totally rubbish......

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Ring is only worth it if you get the Ring Pro. I have the Ring 2 and its awful, I have motion fully turned off. However I know people with the Pro and theirs is 10x better - not to mention a normal size. The 1 and 2 are ugly and huge.

Blog Entries
    Funnily enough I was going to recommend the Ring Video doorbell 2. We have two of them and both work faultlessly. Battery lasts months between charges and if we're out we still get to see who's at the door and talk to them if we like. WiFi signal is important with these. Because of our WiFi Cameras and other stuff we have a couple of Wi Fi range extenders about the place as well. Cheap to buy and work a treat. I use the Arlo range extenders.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Have a Ring 2 and Ring chime extender. I get a device health of -70 (0 is perfect and -99 is worst) despite only being 5 metres from the router. However, it has worked remarkably well and I get notifications and chimes as needed. Also have live view enabled.

I got this knowing it would be hit or miss based on reviews, but it worked out. If it didn't then I would have replaced with either the Hive or Ring Pro and stumped up for the wiring.
    Last edited by mangoosian; 12th February 2019 at 00:23.

We've got the Nest Hello. Works well, but it requires a fairly cheap monthly fee to store five days' worth of video online for subsequent review--otherwise I think it's realtime video only. Easy to install and set up. We've had it for maybe six months now and not had any problems with it.

Craftsman

Wireless Doorbell

My experience of Friedland is very different - we have had a Friedland Libra door bell for over 5 years now and it's been faultless

Coincidentally, the batteries have just run out - I don't remember ever having replaced them before

I highly recommend

Craftsman
    Got this from Amazon for £10, tho' I see it's up a bit now (£14). Does both front and back doors and it can be heard all round the house at half volume. Just plug into a socket that's not used in the middle of the house, the buttons are led lit and double sided tape mounted. Some of the chimes are mental but there's enough of them to get one that suits.

Last edited by billymac; 12th February 2019 at 00:56. Reason: Typo

I had no end of trouble with interference from other doorbells so went for a Groethe which works on another frequency. It is also longer range and has useful features such as can add an additional push button for gate/back door etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Got my parents this and it's very good. There are different ones like this available now.

Master
    Anything by Freidland. Trouble free.

I have the same experience of the Ring doorbell, just terrible WiFi reception even though I have very fast internet and excellent WiFi routers throughout the house. The Ring support is awful and unhelpful. I imagine that it is designed for American houses made out of thin clapboard rather than UK bricks and mortar houses. It has been slightly better since Amazon took it over as I imagine they have put it on more solid infrastructure.

I would like a more solid mains and ethernet connected alternative to install when I have the house rewired.

Blog Entries
    If all you want is a plain simple door bell/chime the there a myriad of them on Amazon with either one or more receivers depending on needs. I have a simple plug in receiver that cost £6.99 and does the job my neighbour has a Ring and as i am retired always getting the postie asking if i will take a parcel as they never respond to him.

Master
    Bought WDB from Wickes for my mum.
    Bell works without fault over the years.
    Think the pack came with 2 chimes.
    I slightly altered mine by keeping the existing brass push button on the door frame, and connecting the wires to the Wireless door bell push which is located on the inside of door frame. When the brass button is pressed, the wireless door push connects to the chime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be cautious of Nest Hello. Works great but can be tricky install. Designed for American market.

I had to get a 24v transformer, run power down the existing bell swith cable to the nest hello. It doesn’t actually ‘chime’ in the house but does to your phone or google home. To make it chime traditionally it has to be connected to a doorbell, 24v one (not easy to find) so used a relay instead to active but previously wired in one. Pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since this is a watch forum I recommend the Imperial wind up doorbell. We've a wooden front door and the sound resolates through it making it very loud. It has been working flawlessly for 8 years and counting.

More recently we've also fitted a Ring 2 which is handy for deliveries and keeping track of the comings and goings of the kids. Busy household so battery life isn't great. Did have some early wifi issues. The aftersales support has been exemplary.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 12th February 2019 at 12:37.

Can't see Ring doorbells working in practice - what about when driving (no hands free), in a meeting, in Tesco (never a signal in mine) etc.

I have a hard wired ring2 and it works brilliantly. I also have google WiFi rather than virgins router which improved things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can't see Ring doorbells working in practice - what about when driving (no hands free), in a meeting, in Tesco (never a signal in mine) etc.
    Pull over. Go to the loo. Shop at Sainsbury's with free wi-fi. Mine works brilliantly in practice.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I like the idea of the wind-up bell. I remember then on some of the customer’s doors when I was doing a paper round. Certainly attention grabbing.

I can't hear people knocking on my door, so no-one gets answered*, but the delivery companies know where to put the packages. I assume that you are all using your Ring type devices to screen callers, otherwise you would just go back to the old effective method of a button to press, two-core cable, a power source, and some noise creating device?

*More often that not the callers will be god-botherers, and I am so far past redemption that they really are wasting their time.
    Last edited by Templogin; 12th February 2019 at 20:16.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Pull over. Go to the loo. Shop at Sainsbury's with free wi-fi. Mine works brilliantly in practice.
    Yodel or whoever aren't going to hang about whilst you pull over or go to the loo.

OP, are you looking for a simple wireless doorbell rather than a smart doorbell? It sounds like you are.

If so Byron have worked well for me.

Thanks for the input - far more than we were expecting!

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    OP, are you looking for a simple wireless doorbell rather than a smart doorbell? It sounds like you are.

If so Byron have worked well for me.
    Most definitely. Should've stated in the OP, that we wish to avoid the likes of Ring, as they seem more hassle than they're worth.
    Just a simple, wireless doorbell. That works every time the button is pressed.

Will look into Freidland.

EDIT: just saw that
    Freidland are in fact now 'Honeywell' - which has been causing us problems!
    Last edited by cman; 12th February 2019 at 21:57.

Craftsman
    For a simple wireless bell try 1 by One. Can buy multiple plug in chimes and they are a good price. I still have my one set up in tandem with the Ring 2.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Had one of these for 18 mths and it is not dead yet. Works as it should.

Seconded, similar amount of time two. We have the set with two plug-ins, one for downstairs and one for upstairs.

Master
    Sounds like a visit to doorbell world is in order https://doorbellworld.co.uk/index.ph...doorbells-c-71

my wireless door bell ran out of batteries ages ago - whenever there's someone coming to the gate I'll know because my cats go and hide under the sofa if its a stranger or go straight to the door if its someone they know

Doctor's knocker for me!