closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Anti (new) Rolex thread

Master
    Surely it is in the best interest of Rolex to allow the present situation to continue. They could easily increase their prices due to stifled demand and make more profit for less work, also the brand image would continue to rise.

Surely they do not want to return to the days when nearly every customer was trying to negotiate a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Surely it is in the best interest of Rolex to allow the present situation to continue. They could easily increase their prices due to stifled demand and make more profit for less work, also the brand image would continue to rise.

Surely they do not want to return to the days when nearly every customer was trying to negotiate a discount.
    I think that’s a foolish assumption.

Haywood, if correct that’s very good news indeed as the new GMT could be an only watch for me (and will probably end up being just that if I can get my hands on one).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I agree Tony, particularly when there are no shareholders etc. involved.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchfun1 View Post
    So true.
    Most of these posts/threads are a cry for attention or sour grapes or a combination of the two.
    The oft repeated assertions about not caring for Rolex at all or not caring for six digit models or 'used to like them but not anymore', 'wouldn't wear one if paid for it',playing the Seiko card, complaints about the business model, identification of brand with some imaginary personality trait etc are all more of the same. Nothing wrong with any of the above but repeated assertions of the same old cliches on every Rolex thread from the same old group of people is churlish and tiresome. If you are indifferent to the charms of Rolex why are you drawn to every Rolex thread singing the same tired tune for the hundredth time. Stay away. They are just watches, not to be confused with lifestyle.
    At the other end are people who have turned the act of acquiring a particular Rolex model into a milestone or a major life event. The act of buying a watch should be a pleasant and a fulfilling experience not an angst ridden one. No need to hype it up or overthink or over analyse.
    Just watches.....
    So very well put!

Personally I don’t have any ‘six digit’ models but, were they readily available at retail, there are some I would buy. They are by far better engineered and designed than anything that has come before from Rolex. When I put my old GMT against modern one, mine feels like some kind of fake. Beautiful watches the ceramic bezeled ones to boot and damn good value for what they are. It is no mystery that demand exceeds supply.

If you don’t like them then don’t buy but the constant whining is so obviously rooted in envy and frankly sounds pathetic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Haywood, if correct that’s very good news indeed as the new GMT could be an only watch for me (and will probably end up being just that if I can get my hands on one).
    It's not a foolish assumption at all. Two years ago, half the questions on the forum were about what size discount could you expect to achieve when buying from an AD and what price you could screw from a grey dealer.

Today the discussion is whether it makes sense or not to pay a premium over the MRP.

The market is showing that if the present shortage continues, prices can easily be increased due to the exclusivity factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I agree Tony, particularly when there are no shareholders etc. involved.
    The only brand enhancement I envisage would be in the eyes of the speculators who have relationships with bent AD staff.

It's not a foolish assumption at all. Two years ago, half the questions on the forum were about what size discount could you expect to achieve when buying from an AD and what price you could screw from a grey dealer.

Today the discussion is whether it makes sense or not to pay a premium over the MRP.

The market is showing that if the present shortage continues, prices can easily be increased due to the exclusivity factor.
    You are behind the curve (significantly).

Take the discussion back 10 years and the availability/prices being sold on here and elsewhere.

Master
    You are behind the curve (significantly).

Take the discussion back 10 years and the availability/prices being sold on here and elsewhere.
    That is waffle.

What counts is today and right now today Rolex is a sellers market, why on earth would they even think of changing that.

That is waffle.

What counts is today and right now today Rolex is a sellers market, why on earth would they even think of changing that.
    Please do not patronise me Mick, I have been collecting, buying and selling watches for over over 40 years.

The market for Rolex has changed over the years by virtue of the grey market forces and supply restrictions.

They have never been mass market and never will be and they were never going to stand by and watch sales for AD's tank on the back of the grey market conveyor belt.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 27th January 2019 at 00:00.

Great watches, grotesque and, by repetition, boring status quo.

The Anti (new) Rolex thread

Personally I am not anti-Rolex, I just wouldn’t pay over list for any watch on principle - irrespective of the brand.

It’s fairly easy for me in that a) the only Rolex I’ve ever wanted is a DSSD, b) I’m never going to have the spare cash to buy one new anyway, c) I always buy either new and discounted or second-hand and d) I picked up a second-hand DSSD on SC a few weeks ago so my Rolex buying days are now over!

Whilst I admire Rolex watches for their quality and think their business model is very clever, that business model treats potential customers poorly (as does the behaviour of some of their ADs).

Simon

Master
    Please do not patronise me Mick, I have been collecting, buying and selling watches for 40 years.

The market for Rolex has changed by virtue of the grey market forces and supply restrictions.

They have never been mass market and never will be.
    Stop being such a snowflake, no one is patronising you.

I have never used the term mass market, all I have said is that restricting the supply has pushed up the value of Rolex and it is in the interest of Rolex for that to continue.

Stop being such a snowflake, no one is patronising you.

I have never used the term mass market, all I have said is that restricting the supply has pushed up the value of Rolex and it is in the interest of Rolex for that to continue.
    Read my edit.

The only market that has seen the value pushed up is grey/NOS.

This is not in any way of any interest of Rolex in monetary terms - it simply protects their AD network to some extent.

Journeyman
    I thought about posting my opinion, but I think I'll wait for the next anti-rolex thread.

Master
    Read my edit.

The only market that has seen the value pushed up is grey/NOS.

This is not in any way of any interest of Rolex in monetary terms - it simply protects their AD network to some extent.
    Ok let us look at the new SS Skydweller.

I think the RSP is around £9.5k but grey dealers and private individuals are pumping them out for around £11k.

It makes sense for Rolex to make the RSP £11k.

They could easily make the RSP of the ceramic Daytona £14k and get away with it.

I think the RSP is around £9.5k but grey dealers and private individuals are pumping them out for around £11k.

They could easily make the RSP of the ceramic Daytona £14k and get away with it.
    No it makes no sense - if the supply chain remains the same. You have already said that the shortage is the issue (which it is).

Master
    No it makes no sense - if the supply chain remains the same. You have already said that the shortage is the issue (which it is).
    Yes agreed but it makes sense from Rolex point of view to let the shortages continue and then they can push up prices and make their ADs even happier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Expect supply to increase in the UK this year. Where main agents previously may have expected two or three Pepsi GMTs per year, it will in fact be perhaps four times that.

Not written in haste.
    Wow! That’s a game changer for prices. Presumably the 100% premium to RRP will be history pretty soon.

Yes agreed but it makes sense from Rolex point of view to let the shortages continue and then they can push up prices and make their ADs even happier.
    The Ad's are happy - they have multiple brands to suit all budgets.

The endless argument over Rolex supply issues seems to miss one fairly substantial point IMHO. It apparently takes a year to manufacture a Rolex watch so even if Rolex were to turn up the taps right now, it would be at least a year before availability started to increase and probably more like 2 or 3 before the waiting list backlog got cleared. That is if they could find the staff they would need to do that. Couple that with an apparently unquenchable demand built on decades of strategic marketing, Rolex being owned by a charitable foundation who's primary concern is the stability and continuance of Rolex, where profits are ploughed back into the company or donated to charity and the rumour that they could operate for years with zero income simply on what they have stashed away, normal business motivations would seem to have limited applicability.

Master
    The Ad's are happy - they have multiple brands to suit all budgets.
    But they would be even happier if the RSP was increased giving them bigger profits.

Anyway this is now becoming repetitive and boring and it's time for my beddie byes.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Life is too short for falling out over trivia.

Craftsman
    It's refreshing that there is still something, i.e. brand new Rolex SS sports, that we can't have the moment that we decide that we want it.

Who wants to be Veruca Salt !

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    For me Rolex is to to watches what Coke is to cola.

It is better and is the one that everyone aspires too.

Rolex is just too good a brand, and as a company they have been consistent and reliable throughout their history. No-one has been short changed or felt let down by Rolex (apart from the current can't buy one hype). Surely the knock on effect from their marketing and advertising effort has a huge benefit to other lesser, and especially the independent watch manufactures. They must contribute something to keeping the mechanical watch industry alive. In this day and age you would expect younger viewers to all be wearing digital technology from Apple and others, and to be turning their backs on old fashioned mechanical timepieces.

I agree that the modern watches have less appeal. I'm not a fan of shiny ceramic bezels, but accept they are practical. I can't wear larger watches, so again am limited and tend towards the older models.

I own one, which to the detriment of my other watches, is worn most frequently. It is the most uncomplicated watch I own. It was bought used and at a sensible price, without any of the AD hysteria. I love it. To be honest, it's so simple, if it didn't say Rolex on it, I probably wouldn't wear it so much. There's an admission. Of brand snobbery?? No different to any other expensive trinket (cars, handbags, cases, postcode, etc etc).

I have no guilt.
    Wasn't it the case that in blind trials people tend to prefer Pepsi? Personally, I'll have a Nautilus if we're being aspirational. The fact is that Rolex are today a mid market mass produced brand who have a speckled history of playing fast and loose with the facts in their advertising, a veblen driven economic model and they are, of course, the finest manufacturers of a brand ever.

That said, I have a soft spot for pretty much anything in a 34 - 36mm Oyster case.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    The endless argument over Rolex supply issues seems to miss one fairly substantial point IMHO. It apparently takes a year to manufacture a Rolex watch so even if Rolex were to turn up the taps right now, it would be at least a year before availability started to increase and probably more like 2 or 3 before the waiting list backlog got cleared. That is if they could find the staff they would need to do that. Couple that with an apparently unquenchable demand built on decades of strategic marketing, Rolex being owned by a charitable foundation who's primary concern is the stability and continuance of Rolex, where profits are ploughed back into the company or donated to charity and the rumour that they could operate for years with zero income simply on what they have stashed away, normal business motivations would seem to have limited applicability.
    It doesn't take a year to manufacture any mass market watch unless you are a fan of misleading statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    I've noticed that almost half of the thread content is always people complaining about the thread content. THAT is tiresome, not bringing up the same watch subjects again.

Good thread.

I have 5-digit Rolexes and love them. I don't care for the 6-digits so the supply problem doesn't concern me in any shape or form. I wouldn't wear them for free.
    Pretty much this for me as well. I own three 5-digit reference models, all from the 2001-2004 era. The case size/shape is spot on, SELs, proper lume, still have some vintage charm and when I bought them, were affordable.

Rolex used to be just another watch brand, with a bit of kudos sprinkled over. Now they’ve become some sort of demented life goal. I really couldn’t be arsed to go through the faff of trying to buy a new model, even I liked any.

I’m always wondering if the arse will fall out of the Rolex marketing model of unattainable desirability, but that’s probably exactly why it does so well.

I’ll stick with what I’ve got and will never need to worry about the stickers or warranty cards because they’ve long gone.

If you don't like something, don't read about it. simple as that.
    Or, if you like them don’t read this (anti) thread.

Master
    If my AD said that I had to leave a deposit and I was guaranteed a new Pepsi in say 6-12 months I would be more than comfortable with that set up. This would be a fair system in my view. Unlikely I know

What shortage? The amount with grey dealers is what I find confronting and surely new owners who allegedly"flip" can't all be to blame?:

https://www.chrono24.com.au/rolex/re...tm?loggedOut=1

They increase prices year on year regardless so if they make more they make larger profit as long as they don’t produce more than the demand which is hardly likely.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marschv View Post
    I thought about posting my opinion, but I think I'll wait for the next anti-rolex thread.
    Me too.

Although I might........aww go on then I will........no maybe not.

No...I've got to...I actually like Rolex watches. Old ones, new ones even not so old ones. Oh dear......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    I would agree with the above if the windows weren't full of DJ's etc. They could easily switch production to the SS sports and the shortage is well into years 2-3.

Maybe they been building new movements and running down old stock....that might be plausible?

Master
    I am inclined to open an anti ‘anti (new) Rolex thread’

I think Rolex have done something right. Those who love the brand talk about it and those who dislike the brand / its practices talk about it.

SS Pepsi at Schiphol this am. Weird that they would get a delivery on a Sunday and I doubt it would have hung around if a delivery had come on another day and it had been put in the window. ND Sub as well.

Here’s an idea - rather than starting another Rolex thread, why not start a new thread about a brand you do like? Then we can redress the balance a bit. All you’re doing here is making another thread about something you and I don’t care about.

Give the rest of us Rolex bored readers something more interesting to read.

Just another ground hog day. But it's a good that we all don't like the same stuff.

Personally I struggle to understand all the hype regarding the new Ceramic GMT's simply because they are so similar to the 16750 and 16700/710 (which are quite easy to find) and more expensive.

If 7-9k for a 16750/16700 is crazy, then 12-15k for a Ceramic Pepsi is mind boggling. Emperors new clothes springs to mind.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

for my part I am not a vintage watch fan ( which is strange seen as I live my life mostly in the past with other interests) I am fortunate that I am completely happy and wanted the DJ I have and can get at a good price but I am old so ss sport watches are not high on my wish list as I believe the DJ are considered for the older gentlemen anyway LOL. so this whole debate kinda goes over my head .

Craftsman
    Its all about choice
    You can wait and wait
    Or pay a premium at the grey dealers
    Or buy something else

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I’d really like a Sub no date, but if I walked into an AD and was told I’d need to join a waiting list for a year or more I’d say no thanks and go to one of the many other brands out there that produce watches of same or better quality. There’s just too much choice and diversity for me to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Its all about choice
    You can wait and wait
    Or pay a premium at the grey dealers
    Or buy something else

Haha this is a much shorter to the point version of what I said. Beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Personally I struggle to understand all the hype regarding the new Ceramic GMT's simply because they are so similar to the 16750 and 16700/710 (which are quite easy to find) and more expensive.

If 7-9k for a 16750/16700 is crazy, then 12-15k for a Ceramic Pepsi is mind boggling. Emperors new clothes springs to mind.
    Same here. The BLNR is far nicer as well. Not sure that the 216710 BLRO with its blocky case/lugs suits the jubilee bracelet.

Saying that, I’m still getting one. Wouldn’t dream of paying over RRP though.

Master
    ... it would be at least a year before availability started to increase and probably more like 2 or 3 before the waiting list backlog got cleared. That is if they could find the staff they would need to do that.
    Presumably waiting lists currently have lots of (a) duplicates (people on multiple lists) and (b) flippers. If there wasn’t a big profit and watches were available from your local AD with a “reasonable” wait, the current lists would shrink dramatically.

Craftsman

Just for info ... SS sky dweller is £11.1K rrp

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    I’d really like a Sub no date, but if I walked into an AD and was told I’d need to join a waiting list for a year or more I’d say no thanks and go to one of the many other brands out there that produce watches of same or better quality. There’s just too much choice and diversity for me to wait.
    But you will still really like the Sub no date in a year's time so why not register your interest with the AD now?

In 12 months, when you have found that the stop-gap watch didn't sate your appetite, out of the blue will come ring-ring: 'Hi there Mr Raff, it's Mr AD, I got that ND Sub that you're after....'

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Expect supply to increase in the UK this year. Where main agents previously may have expected two or three Pepsi GMTs per year, it will in fact be perhaps four times that.

Not written in haste.
    I wonder if we'll see a few people trying to kash - sorry, I mean cash - in on their new Rolexes ASAP to maximise profits before oversupply wipes out any profit Watchfinder would be willing to offer over list?
    "A man of little significance"

The Anti (new) Rolex thread

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    But you will still really like the Sub no date in a year's time so why not register your interest with the AD now?

In 12 months, when you have found that the stop-gap watch didn't sate your appetite, out of the blue will come ring-ring: 'Hi there Mr Raff, it's Mr AD, I got that ND Sub that you're after....'
    True. But it wouldn’t be a stop gap watch, there are loads I like as much as a sub, and if readily available when I’m in a position to purchase, I’d go for one of those.

I won’t be buying anything for the next few years anyway, as I’ve spent enough last year and have other priorities. GS Hi-beat, Nomos Club and a gshock meet my ‘needs’. When I’ve got 5-6k to spare I’ll not want to wait a year. And if you do put your name down and get the call when you don’t have the cash, that would just be soul destroying

Everyone to their own. Nothing wrong with Rolex, I get a lot out of owning a Steinhart lookalike or a 36mm PRS25 for a fraction of the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Everyone to their own. Nothing wrong with Rolex, I get a lot out of owning a Steinhart lookalike or a 36mm PRS25 for a fraction of the money.
    Yes I know what you mean. I love my Nomos as much as my GS at a fraction of the price.

Master
    This thread has made me dig out my 1967 5513 and wear it for the day on a £7 Zulu which I normally reserve for my 007

a quick wrist shot

Last edited by BillN; 27th January 2019 at 15:17.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    ...And if you do put your name down and get the call when you don’t have the cash, that would just be soul destroying
    You're right. That would be a very frustrating turn of events.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I wonder if we'll see a few people trying to kash - sorry, I mean cash - in on their new Rolexes ASAP to maximise profits before oversupply wipes out any profit Watchfinder would be willing to offer over list?
    That’s a fairly nasty little typo sir....Cept it wasn’t a typo was it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Presumably waiting lists currently have lots of (a) duplicates (people on multiple lists) and (b) flippers. If there wasn’t a big profit and watches were available from your local AD with a “reasonable” wait, the current lists would shrink dramatically.
    Totally agree if you take out the speculators
    Your wait would be acceptable