closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to give the white dial PRS-25 its own thread

Master
    This thing will never come to market at this rate.

Do what you want Eddie and it'll sell like hotcakes based on the current renders :)

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Look away you lume lovers... but I think V3 would look great with glossy pained numerals.
    But then that makes a nonsense of lumed hands. You look at the watch at night and you can see the hands but what they are pointing to!

Likewise, lumed numerals with unlumed hands is also nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mads Gorm View Post
    The problem with the sapphire domed crystal is the milky ring - you don't get that distortion in the same way as you do with a Hi-dome acrylic crystal. If you look at pictures of the first PRS-25 with the acrylic domed crystal, you will see that the acrylic is clear around the edge, and it really is a crystal that makes the watch.

Compare this - https://wornandwound.com/review/smit...prs-25-review/ to this

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7ecaf5e5dd.jpg

Do you see it?
    Yes, I know what you mean, but I can live with it, because for me the resistance to scratches is very important.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mads Gorm View Post
    The problem with the sapphire domed crystal is the milky ring - you don't get that distortion in the same way as you do with a Hi-dome acrylic crystal. If you look at pictures of the first PRS-25 with the acrylic domed crystal, you will see that the acrylic is clear around the edge, and it really is a crystal that makes the watch.

Compare this - https://wornandwound.com/review/smit...prs-25-review/ to this

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7ecaf5e5dd.jpg

Do you see it?
    I think the sapphire domed crystal is also the reason that the watch looks smaller than its 36mm, more like 34mm. Now that the honeymoon phase is starting to wear off I have to say that I really dislike the milky ring effect of the crystal. I wonder if it's possible to replace the sapphire with an acrylic crystal. Guess I'll have to talk to a watchmaker.

Journeyman

Question

Quote Originally Posted by derb.... View Post
    As everyone knows germans are always yammering... Eddies latest design works really well, but the A453 dial is simply superior. I wouldn't change anything! Why no relaunch of this dial (especially the font and size of the numbers)?

Just my 2 cents...

The A453 is stunningly good :)

I never noticed it before, but the thin minute hand and wide hour hand in the has been used before to create balance -

Any one know of other watches were they have done that?
    Last edited by Mads Gorm; 17th February 2019 at 12:50. Reason: added pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    But then that makes a nonsense of lumed hands. You look at the watch at night and you can see the hands but what they are pointing to!

Likewise, lumed numerals with unlumed hands is also nonsense.
    If it is on your wrist there shouldn’t be an issue... you don’t need the numbers to tell time really. If it’s in the dead of night you can get an idea by feeling for the crown. But I assume most would just look at the phone ;-)

I guess my one worry, is how will the lume look in the off white in the day (on both versions) will be very interested to see the prototypes!
    Last edited by OliverCD; 9th January 2019 at 00:30.

Master
    Look away you lume lovers... but I think V3 would look great with glossy pained numerals.

Not for me, thanks. Lumed numbers would get my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Not for me, thanks. Lumed numbers would get my vote.

I agree. Lumed hands and lumed numerals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My real worry with 'C' is how will the lumed numbers look in normal light on the light background.
    The B version the numerals are clearly being a lot chunkier and it will help... I think they may vanish at the smaller size.

Maybe a slightly thicker key line is needed.

I have gone off faux aged lume over recent years... but I think it might work better on the C

I have gone off faux aged lume over recent years... but I think it might work better on the C
    Sorry Oliver, that looks hideous to me!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Sorry Oliver, that looks hideous to me!!!
    Agreed. Again, super C3 please!

^^ I'm trying to find a solution to the problem that I think will be realised at actual size with normal lume... the numbers will vanish on the wrist. I am a designer and I spotted the issue immediately.

It is almost impossible for me to show here as everyone is looking at different size screens and is draws the images at different sizes. I have mocked it up to check and they become faint – a prototype might improve it over the drawings.

I do suggest that the key line around the lume could go a bit thicker.

Craftsman
    The vintage lume is fabulous on the PRS-82's black dial imho (and I suspect is one of the main reasons it is so popular) but not sure that it would work on the cream dial. The key line being a minuscule amount thicker could work but would be a more expensive idea to test at prototype stage I suppose. Ultimately, I think this is one of those issues that can only be resolved at prototype stage, wearing/handling the watch in differing lights and at differing angles. Tricky one.

To go back to the hands discussion for a sec I think the longer thinner minute hand, thicker shorter hour hand style is more balanced but I also prefer the hour hand tip to get a little closer to the numbers. Different strokes for different folks....

I think I've got the answer.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Is it 42?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    hahaha...glad that someone has!

Eddie
    We are only trying to help... But I think ends up as annoys!!!

I always love the design process, you come up with an idea... we kick it about... and you do what you first though was best! We all have fun with the process ;-)

The DIY reference is fair comment. HAHA.

Could you give any suggestion please Eddie, as to when when either/both white versions might be for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Could you give any suggestion please Eddie, as to when when either/both white versions might be for sale?
    I haven't ordered them yet, cashflow has taken a bit of a beating lately.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Understandable of course, thanks, good to have a sense of timescale, much appreciated.

I'm that confident the white version will be of the same quality of my last three purchases (29AM, 29A and the 36mm Everest), you can have the money and send the watch when its ready.

Eddie, why don't you try to crowdfund it, even within the TZ-UK community only? We know what we're getting, it could help with the cashflow issue

In other words,

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    [QUOTE=size11s;4990869] ... The key line being a minuscule amount thicker could work but would be a more expensive idea to test at prototype stage I suppose. Ultimately, I think this is one of those issues that can only be resolved at prototype stage, wearing/handling the watch in differing lights and at differing angles. Tricky one ...QUOTE]

Overall, I think Eddie's latest mock-up looks superb and the watch has the potential to be something really very special. I agree with you and Oliver though in that the detail of the key line will make or break it. The trouble is the difference will comedown to hundredths of an mm and, as you say, will probably only be possible to evaluate in the flesh via a prototype. Visually, I hope they can appear as close to the size of those in the 36mm without overpowering the dial.

Master
    I haven't ordered them yet, cashflow has taken a bit of a beating lately.

Eddie
    Perhaps I shouldn't say this - but have you ever thought about doing a type of 'crowdfunding' - say, once a design is finalised but before you order them, give people an opportunity to say pay a 50% deposit, and say the first 10, 20 or whatever number, would be entered into a draw for the watches with the first say 10 serial numbers - or whatever.

I guess there might be some consumer credit regulations you may need to be concerned with - but it might help (a bit) with cash-flow?

Edit - Opps Sorry Saint-Just hadn't seen your post.

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Edit - Opps Sorry Saint-Just hadn't seen your post.
    I’ll put a bigger picture next time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I’ll put a bigger picture next time
    LOL - well I did start off by saying 'Perhaps I shouldn't say this..." 😜👍

Eddie, why don't you try to crowdfund it, even within the TZ-UK community only? We know what we're getting, it could help with the cashflow issue
    Crowdfunding is an excellent idea, if workable for Mr EP. Especially with much stock being currently held of at least three recent releases.
    As I have and appreciate the quality of the current Everest releases, I’d be happy to pay now for a white 36mm prs-25, and receive when ready. Perhaps price could be the same as the current 36mm with buyers agreeing to a leeway of say 10%. Delivery date could be within a specified maximum number of months. Probably there’d be a minimum number required before the order could be triggered. I don’t know if this method is at all feasible for the business, but I like this idea!

I’m happy with the existing TF “I pay you, you ship it” business model. Very refreshing!

Given that Eddie had to shut up shop to process the initial 66 orders for the 36mm Everest, and the likely repeat when he re-opens on the 15th, where would he find the time to set up and administer a crowdfunding exercise for the white dialled version?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Given that Eddie had to shut up shop to process the initial 66 orders for the 36mm Everest, and the likely repeat when he re-opens on the 15th, where would he find the time to set up and administer a crowdfunding exercise for the white dialled version?
    It takes a few minutes for every 'victim of the system' to set one up so that should not be a problem.
    https://knowhow.ncvo.org.uk/how-to/h...nding-campaign
    Furthermore, unlike in the above example (depending on amount required) the crowdfunding could be limited to the forum, thus reducing to nil any effort to promote it beyond.

I mean, I know it's not Eddie's way doing things, and I respect this. But if it can make his life a little easier this can be a solution.

Anyone else find it a tiny bit embarrassing when people start telling someone with a successful business how to run it?

Craftsman
    Forums eh!.....who'd go on 'em??

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Anyone else find it a tiny bit embarrassing when people start telling someone with a successful business how to run it?

I've just (30 minutes ago) received 300 PRS-45 on bracelet and 100 on strap plus 200 Speedbird III and 100 Speedbird III with the PRS-1 dial and that's just about wiped me out financially. I'm not worried because I'm confident they will sell well but you have to bear in mind that even though there isn't a limit to how many orders might come in, there's a limit to how many watches I can pack. I'm confident that financial health will be restored in a month or so but until it is, everything else is on hold.

Eddie

Craftsman
    The best way to improve cashflow is surely simply to re-enable the website to actually allow people to place an order for watches in stock and pay you some money ?

If you are worried about delays in packing, just advertise a longer turnaround time ? I highly doubt anyone would mind ?
    Last edited by 459GMB; 10th January 2019 at 12:30.

I've just (30 minutes ago) recieved 300 PRS-45 on bracelet and 100 on strap plus 200 Speedbird III and 100 Speedbird III with the PRS-1 dial and that's just about wiped me out financially. I'm not worried because I'm confident they will sell well but you have to bear in mind that even though there isn't a limit to how many orders might come in, there's a limit to how many watches I can pack. I'm confident that financial health will be restored in a month or so but until it is, everything else is on hold.

Eddie
    Great news. I’ll be looking forward to pictures quickly followed by my money into your pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    The best way to improve cashflow is surely simply to re-enable the website to actually allow people to place an order for watches in stock and pay you some money ?
    I don't take payment until I ship so how would this help when I'm already shipping to capacity?

Eddie

Craftsman
    I don't take payment until I ship so how would this help when I'm already shipping to capacity?

Eddie
    Ok fair enough.

I thought you took payment at point of sale, so in that case it wouldn't help, assuming of course that you still have an order backlog that you are trying to clear.

I get the resource constraints of the small business, and my personal experience of my first order with you has only been hugely positive. Not being critical just trying to be helpful ! I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 36mm PRS-25 sells out very quickly once you come back online for ordering. I for one have been posting very positively about the watch on various social media sites. Good luck with the other new models as well :-)

I've just (30 minutes ago) received 300 PRS-45 on bracelet and 100 on strap plus 200 Speedbird III and 100 Speedbird III with the PRS-1 dial and that's just about wiped me out financially. I'm not worried because I'm confident they will sell well but you have to bear in mind that even though there isn't a limit to how many orders might come in, there's a limit to how many watches I can pack. I'm confident that financial health will be restored in a month or so but until it is, everything else is on hold.

Eddie

Looking forward to some quick and dirties later!!

Hire some local elves who like your watches (to pack), and pay them with watches!! 😉

Looking forward to some quick and dirties later!!

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

F.T.F.A.

It takes a few minutes for every 'victim of the system' to set one up so that should not be a problem.
    https://knowhow.ncvo.org.uk/how-to/h...nding-campaign
    Furthermore, unlike in the above example (depending on amount required) the crowdfunding could be limited to the forum, thus reducing to nil any effort to promote it beyond.

I mean, I know it's not Eddie's way doing things, and I respect this. But if it can make his life a little easier this can be a solution.
    I recalled this:

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Not sure this is quite the place ref. cost of ordering 300 watches, dangers of pre-pay (a la MKII) and customer support; however, some of the crowdsourcing approaches currently available provide an opportunity to gather project specific investment in a way that couches the investment as structured support to enable a particular project, with the potential to participate in purchase of product later (if necessary).

As ever, it takes effort to create the pitch, but does provide reasonably ready access to seed capital.

My business is working on this as an approach, and I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has!
    I've read this up but ultimately, money isn't free and using this approach would increase the price.

Eddie

Master
    I've read through most of this thread but not seen what size this will be available in.
    Will it be available in 36 and 40mm like the black dialled version?

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I've read through most of this thread but not seen what size this will be available in.
    Will it be available in 36 and 40mm like the black dialled version?
    36mm only.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ignorant_lobster View Post
    36mm only.
    Thanks

Craftsman
    Any hint of a release date for version b?

Master
    Eddie has a number of other watches coming on line this year, so it may be some time before these become available. Mores the pity.

Journeyman
    I'm really not a fan of Version C. It just reminds me of a cheapo Seiko SNK803.

On a more positive note, I received my 36mm PRS-25 last week and I love it.

Last edited by DennisK; 20th January 2019 at 20:01.