closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega pre-bond 200m

Omega pre-bond 200m

I’ve got the 36mm quartz version and really want to get hold of the larger 40mm automatic version.

I think these are going to come of age, but little is written about them / often overshadowed by its successor.

Anyone got one ? Post up piccies !
    I’ve heard the bezel insert isn’t available any longer and the automatic movement can be difficult to find parts for ? Is this true ?

Grand Master
    No problem getting movement parts, its ETA 2892.

Automatics are hard to find, at the time these were current quartz models were very much in the accendancy.

I have a bimetal quartz, owned it for years, one of my favourite watches.

Any inside track on bezel insert availability ?
    I’ve found one on Chrono24 with b&p which looks in lovely condition but he wants nearly £1800 for it and won’t budge on price ....

There is another, but needs a bezel insert ...

Master
    Other than striking lucky on Ebay, there is zero genuine bezel or bezel insert availability so don't buy one with a dodgy bezel. Omega or STS will offer a whole new case at a cost of around £500 if you ask about bezel replacement as the bezel is no longer available as a separate part. The insert was never available separately, if you see one on offer, it'll be aftermarket and even then most are for the mid size.
    Last edited by Padders; 16th December 2018 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Other than striking lucky on Ebay, there is zero genuine bezel or bezel insert availability so don't buy one with a dodgy bezel. Omega or STS will offer a whole new case at a cost of around £500 if you ask about bezel replacement as the bezel is no longer available as a separate part. The insert was never available separately.
    Thanks ... very useful information
    Makes the £1800 watch about right then in this crazy world ....

Love my large 1441 HAQ bi-metal !
    Great write-up here on the SM200 : https://forums.watchuseek.com/f45/fa...es-316149.html

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Love my large 1441 HAQ bi-metal !
    Great write-up here on the SM200 : https://forums.watchuseek.com/f45/fa...es-316149.html
    Brilliant review - thanks !

It’s a shame Omega dropped Thermo-compensated quartz in the Seamaster line until more recent models.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It’s a shame Omega dropped Thermo-compensated quartz in the Seamaster line until more recent models.
    I think they abandoned the 1441 owing to reliability issues, that's what I was told.

My own pre-Bond Seamaster had a 1441, the circuit died and I ended up buying a replacement ETA movement, standard 255.461. This watch is my everyday wearer for the simple reason that it's quartz! I use it to time mechanical watches after service, it runs around 3 -4 secs/month fast so it's fine for what I want. It either lives on my wrist or on the bench, it's a workhorse for me.

If I was looking to buy one of these I think I`d be happy to see a 'standard' replacement movement rather than the 1441. The only difference is the circuit, and the mainplate which is a slightly different pressing to accommodate the additional components in the circuit.

Two different case/bezel designs were used on these, even though they look similar at a glance the later ones (without Mercedes hands) had a heavier case with a more substantial bezel. Mine's the early one, I can get the bezel off with my nails and it could easily be knocked off if the watch got a whack. The later version is the opposite, its difficult to remove in the same way the Bond bezel is difficult.

Automatics are quite scarce, if I saw a bimetal automatic in exceptional condition I might be tempted.

I have an automatic with sword hands. It’s with Simon Freese for a service at the moment. It’s a favourite of mine, as much as my 5513. Not everybody’s cup of tea, I think because of the integrated bracelet, so very affordable for a vintage watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I have an automatic with sword hands. It’s with Simon Freese for a service at the moment. It’s a favourite of mine, as much as my 5513. Not everybody’s cup of tea, I think because of the integrated bracelet, so very affordable for a vintage watch.

Nice !
    I wonder what is realistic price wise for the 38mm quartz in S/s with b&p ?

As time goes on I might sell it and grab the auto from Holland !!

So having now sourced a fantastic example from 1992, its clear the watch needs a service ... losing 5-10 mins/day.

The bracelet/case/bezel are unmarked - I kid you not.

So .... is best to send it to STS or are there people here that could do the work ?

Omega pre-bond 200m

Quote Originally Posted by Ukboweldoc View Post
    So having now sourced a fantastic example from 1992, its clear the watch needs a service ... losing 5-10 mins/day.

The bracelet/case/bezel are unmarked - I kid you not.

So .... is best to send it to STS or are there people here that could do the work ?

On what basis was it sold to you? Good working condition or in need of a service or repair?

If the condition was not clear and any defect taken into account in the price, then I would ask your seller to contribute a fair chunk to your additional cost.

Mine is back from Simon Freese (ex-STS) http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/

Very happy with the service from Simon.

I’ve also used STS in the past and would be happy to recommend them.

There is a thread called something like Excellent Watch Repairers where a forum member has listed out some of the watchmakers who are frequently recommended. Off the top of my head: Duncan at Genesis, Olivier at Onatalier, Simon Freese, Brendan at the webwatchmaker, Duncan thewatchbloke, Rocco (can’t remember his company name), Steve at Ryte Time.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 6th January 2019 at 10:49.

Master
    I've had mine a few years now and really like it and can't see me ever parting with it. Accurate to within a second or so a month and love the quick change hour setting when travelling.

Cheers
    Neil

On what basis was it sold to you? Good working condition or in need of a service or repair?

If the condition was not clear and any defect taken into account in the price, then I would ask your seller to contribute a fair chunk to your additional cost.

Mine is back from Simon Freese (ex-STS) http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/

Very happy with the service from Simon.

I’ve also used STS in the past and would be happy to recommend them.

There is a thread called something like Excellent Watch Repairers where a forum member has listed out some of the watchmakers who are frequently recommended. Off the top of my head: Duncan at Genesis, Olivier at Onatalier, Simon Freese, Brendan at the webwatchmaker, Duncan thewatchbloke, Rocco (can’t remember his company name), Steve at Ryte Time.

Thanks, that’s really helpfully.
    I agree with your sentiment about the seller contributing - I’ve made contact with them to this effect.

It’s complicated by the fact the dealer is in Italy (through chrono 24), he gave a decent discount of 10-15% on the watch and being fair it was one of the cheaper ones available before discount. Combined with the fact that physical condition is outstanding, I don’t want to sour the relationship £200 ish !

Reading simon freese website is 2-3 mths his usual lead in time to complete ?

Omega pre-bond 200m

Thanks, that’s really helpfully.
    I agree with your sentiment about the seller contributing - I’ve made contact with them to this effect.

It’s complicated by the fact the dealer is in Italy (through chrono 24), he gave a decent discount of 10-15% on the watch and being fair it was one of the cheaper ones available before discount. Combined with the fact that physical condition is outstanding, I don’t want to sour the relationship £200 ish !

Reading simon freese website is 2-3 mths his usual lead in time to complete ?
    Simon, door to door was 5th November to 20th December which I think is a rapid turnaround for a watch repair.

Fair enough if you got a decent discount. I’m sure you will be very happy when spick-and-span.

I’ve had mine (quite) a long time and never considered moving it on.

A pre-service picture

Last edited by BillyCasper; 6th January 2019 at 20:16.

Simon, door to door was 5th November to 20th December which I think is a rapid turnaround for a watch repair.

Fair enough if you got a decent discount. I’m sure you will be very happy when spick-and-span.

I’ve had mine a long time and never considered moving it on.

A pre-service picture

https://imgur.com/CKx7XUt

Thanks.
    Paul Walker has kindly offered with the movement service - thanks

I’ll try and upload some piccies shortly. What was it with omega boxes from this era that apparently seems to self-destruct ? I wonder if the box has been in a shop window exposed to sunlight ?

Master
    here's mine

1455/452 Bracelet - Omega Sword Hands - later version - 38mm/40mm

Calibre 1111 - pre Bond - Fitted with an ETA 2892-2 (or Omega 1111) Chronometer movement

and the smaller quartz - Mid size Quartz Ref: 396.1042 - Mercedes Hands
    Bracelet = 1465/453
    Movement Omega 1441 to 1988 - then Omega 1438

I think that the above info is correct

Sod that... links don’t work

This is the 40mm 1111 - 1992 according to the card

This is my 38 mm quartz version - also 1992
    Was sold for £400 in 2000 according to receipt and I bought it from watchfinder in 2014-15 for £450

Hope the links work !
    Last edited by Ukboweldoc; 6th January 2019 at 19:30.

Master
    links do not work

do you need to use [IMG]...........................[/IMG]

Edit: links do work - I see your box and booklet are like mine!!!!!
    Last edited by BillN; 6th January 2019 at 19:29.

Thanks.
    Paul Walker has kindly offered with the movement service - thanks

I’ll try and upload some piccies shortly. What was it with omega boxes from this era that apparently seems to self-destruct ? I wonder if the box has been in a shop window exposed to sunlight ?
    That's good, you have it booked in and I'm sure it will come back perfect.

I did have an Omega box when I bought it, but it was a fairly standard red box. I don't have it anymore.

I bought mine 12 years ago from the Old Watch Shop in Southport and had it serviced and tidied by Omega pretty much straight away. Five years on it was serviced by Duncan Potter (Genesis Watchmaking) and more recently by Simon Freese.

Grand Master
    I think a watch from that era would’ve originally had a grey Omega box. I don’t place significant value on boxes etc, with a watch that age is should all be about the watch itself.

I’ve agreed to sort this one out, I always prefer working on stuff I actually like!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think a watch from that era would’ve originally had a grey Omega box. I don’t place significant value on boxes etc, with a watch that age is should all be about the watch itself.

I’ve agreed to sort this one out, I always prefer working on stuff I actually like!
    Yep, both of mine have grey boxes although one is rather flakey !

I had the smaller version and they are nice watches, i sold it on here for 200 quid a few years ago, so someones hopefully still enjoying it.

Master
    Blog Entries

Pre-Bond and 300 large triangle.

Just for a comparison. Here’s a picture of my old full size Seamaster pre-Bond besides it’s Seamaster predecessor (300). I think the pre-Bond was around 39-40mm and the 300 42mm. The pre-Bond is missed and had one of the best bracelets I have ever owned.

M