closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thinking of buying a Pelagos

Thinking of buying a Pelagos

Afternoon all
    I am thinking of purchasing a Tudor Pelagos, my understanding from seeing sales posts is that there are a couple of variants, my question is which should I go for. Accuracy is important to me so would like to go down the cosc route if possible, your thoughts please including where I would get one from without paying over the odds. Thanks

Steve

There are black and blue to decide between. There are eta - non cosc and in house - cosc movement too.
    To some the more pleasing dial is the eta version as the cosc dial has a paragraph of script on it.
    I chose a black cosc and it’s a great watch.
    They come up on SC reasonably regularly and probably this is a safe and cost effective environment to buy a used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie View Post
    There are black and blue to decide between. There are eta - non cosc and in house - cosc movement too.
    To some the more pleasing dial is the eta version as the cosc dial has a paragraph of script on it.
    I chose a black cosc and it’s a great watch.
    They come up on SC reasonably regularly and probably this is a safe and cost effective environment to buy a used one.

And a version for the left-handed

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Sorry I missed that. And the lh version has an aged lume effect on the dial.

Had a black eta a couple years ago, sorely missed. Is the in-house more accurate than the eta ? Version, 1-3 seconds a day surely won’t make any difference.

It's worth noting that there are one or two other subtle differences between the dials of the ETA and in house versions as well the quantity of text.

I had an earlier ETA version, and currently have a newer in-house version which I prefer. There is a lot of text if you bring it up close to your eyes, but for day to day wear it’s fine.

I dont like the shade of blue, and would prefer the LHD as a normal not aged example - so plain black for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Went blue to add some diversity to my collection. Love it and the text doesn’t bother me at all. You need to see them in person to determine which you like and if the text will bother you. I like the in house movement element of the new model.

Thanks guys, will pop over the merry hill centre to try one on and see if it feels right, I think reading the comments it has to be the cosc in house movement with Black dial

Craftsman
    I had an early ETA version, which was runny by at +/- 0 or near as I couldn’t tell. In other words don’t disregard it for not have big COSC certification.

Great watch by the way whichever one you go for.

Craftsman
    I have the blue with the in-house movement, one of my favourite watches.

Craftsman
    There is a brand new version 1 Eta on Chrono 24..
    The less cluttered dial makes it collectable in the future.. as the one criticism I have and many others have is too much on the dial..almost like an essay..
    As others have said Tudor really made the ETA their own and they run superbly and are very proven..easier to service and regulate also.
    So dont rule them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an ETA black which is a keeper. Any Pelagos represents real value for money. Have a look at how much you have to spend if you want a Rolex with 500m depth rating. Add in the innovative bracelet adjustment and titanium construction, and it is good value compared to the competition. The snow flake hands are divisive but if you like it, it’s a sound buy.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie View Post
    Sorry I missed that. And the lh version has an aged lume effect on the dial.

Such a pain. I'd have one in a heartbeat if it was actually white.

Master
    I have the in house movement and love it, don’t really notice the extra text to be honest.

Alas, like everything else, since the arrival of my UX nothing really gets worn as much as it should.

Matt

Craftsman
    IMO, eta version is nicer and also more collectible. Keep a lookout in the SC and post a WTB.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    IMO, eta version is nicer and also more collectible. Keep a lookout in the SC and post a WTB.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Interesting thing about the ETA (certainly at this moment) is it’s cheaper.

Find that quite strange in this hobby because you look at the early ETA black bay and they’re more sought after. Yet, even though everyone prefers the eta aesthetics of the Pelagos they’re the cheapest version. Seems to me people haven’t really cottoned on to the fact the ETA Pelagos should be more ‘collectible’ (which is good for those of us Who aren’t collectors)

It’ll be one of those watches in years to come that people will be moaning about “why didn’t I buy one when they were £1800!”

The ETA Pelagos is one of the best bargains out there IMO

The black ETA Pelagos was available for much longer than the black dial ETA Black Bay

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Interesting thing about the ETA (certainly at this moment) is it’s cheaper.

Find that quite strange in this hobby because you look at the early ETA black bay and they’re more sought after. Yet, even though everyone prefers the eta aesthetics of the Pelagos they’re the cheapest version. Seems to me people haven’t really cottoned on to the fact the ETA Pelagos should be more ‘collectible’ (which is good for those of us Who aren’t collectors)

It’ll be one of those watches in years to come that people will be moaning about “why didn’t I buy one when they were £1800!”

The ETA Pelagos is one of the best bargains out there IMO

£1800, the ones I have seen used have been more than that.

Some cheaper ETA ones sold for 1800-1900, last year and year before. I haven't seen any that cheap for a while though, and the COSC ones appear to hold their price a little better, so far at least.
    It's just a matter of time...

One thing with the ETA is you can get any decent watch repairer to service the movement. The in-house ones need to go back to Tudor. If you damage the bezel, crown or crystal on either you have to send it to Tudor for a service where they'll replace the bits, you can't apparently buy just the crown or whatever.

I really like the blue Pelagos but have never seen one outside the bright lights of an AD and don't know how it would look in normal use. Maybe it's time to pull my finger out and find out.
    "A man of little significance"

A couple of things to think of not mentioned yet.
    The inhouse movement power reserve is much greater.
    The eta has a balancing index at 3 which makes the dial look more symmetrical.
    The eta is the original version, which inmost fields is the preferred version over time.
    Dave

And on the in house version the minute markers are about 0.1mm closer in

(if you're wondering how long you have to spend comparing photos to notice that, the answer is, longer than is rational )

Also the "Swiss Made" is more nicely positioned on the in house version

Last edited by Der Amf; 9th December 2018 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    A couple of things to think of not mentioned yet.
    The inhouse movement power reserve is much greater.
    The eta has a balancing index at 3 which makes the dial look more symmetrical.
    The eta is the original version, which inmost fields is the preferred version over time.
    Dave
    Thanks, being on youtube this morning, For me I see the In house movement the way for me, although I could get lucky with an accurate eta one, there is no guarantee where as the cosc on will be tested to a certain spec, added to the extra power reserve, I am happy with the text on the dial. Just getting the best deal is the thing now

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Thanks, being on youtube this morning, For me I see the In house movement the way for me, although I could get lucky with an accurate eta one, there is no guarantee where as the cosc on will be tested to a certain spec, added to the extra power reserve, I am happy with the text on the dial. Just getting the best deal is the thing now
    You need to see the blue in the light of day. That’s what sold it to me. In the sun it’s lively and vibrant but in darker settings it almost looks royal blue.

I purchased a series one pelagos with ETA movement new a couple of years ago when the in-house movement appeared as the local AD put it in their Black Friday sale to clear it at a price it would have been stupid to pass on.

I really love wearing the watch, it has a great feel and quality to it and feel to it. Lume is amazing. There is nothing I would replace it with. Prefer the less text on the dial.

Only regret I with I had bought the ETA BB with red details that was in the sale too that was new for 1250, as well as that has really grown on me and would have been a nice one to own. However pelagos is fantastic and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Thinking of buying a Pelagos

Love my two-liner, replaced a Submariner 14060, case/strap quality, size, lume all better.
    Last edited by Lammylee; 9th December 2018 at 15:42.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    I purchased a series one pelagos with ETA movement new a couple of years ago when the in-house movement appeared as the local AD put it in their Black Friday sale to clear it at a price it would have been stupid to pass on.

I really love wearing the watch, it has a great feel and quality to it and feel to it. Lume is amazing. There is nothing I would replace it with. Prefer the less text on the dial.

Only regret I with I had bought the ETA BB with red details that was in the sale too that was new for 1250, as well as that has really grown on me and would have been a nice one to own. However pelagos is fantastic and hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    AD near me had the Pelagos at £1700 clearing them couple of years back.

I’ve had 3 Pelagos’s. ETA, blue and LHD. It’s a watch I want to love but it doesn’t feel special on the wrist that said I won’t rule out a fourth!!! The LHD was the worst, the aged Luke just dies go with the modern diver thing

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    And on the in house version the minute markers are about 0.1mm closer in

(if you're wondering how long you have to spend comparing photos to notice that, the answer is, longer than is rational )

Also the "Swiss Made" is more nicely positioned on the in house version

Is it just me, or are the hands missing on the eta version? Because that would really pi55 me off.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Is it just me, or are the hands missing on the eta version? Because that would really pi55 me off.
    There's not much in the way of a bezel neither.

Thanks everyone for your input, have put me a wanted for the Black cosc variant

Craftsman
    Any joy with your purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Frantastic View Post
    Any joy with your purchase

Yes thanks had several offers and am now waiting on delivery, I tried one on in watches of Switzerland and was happy with how legible the dial was. I cant wait to get my mits on the watch