closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Weekend mini project thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I spent the morning teaching gun safety to my friends 8 yr old son , he learnt quickly and had some great shots at 6yrds with a HW45.

mike
    A very good idea IMO. Also takes away the 'play' ideas with guns if they come across them later.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    Nice little project this weekend, and one I’ve been meaning to do for a while.

Rebuild and refurbish the leaking brake master cylinder on the Triumph.

Removed from car, dismantled, cleaned, new rubber seals and rebuilt. Put back in car.

Just need to bleed the brakes, but I’ll do that another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sold a fair few of those in the past! The good (bad?) old days of Lockheed and Girling hydraulics and lighting by Joe Lucas 'Prince of Darkness'!

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    The hour change, together with the arrival of colder weather meant that I dug out my ancient plug timer, to set my hall light to come on when it gets dark. You know, one of these horrible things, which are a pain to set or change as the hours of daylight shorten.

I had a look on-line and while not wanting to go the whole hog of Amazon Echo or Google Home, I found these "smart" plugs on Amazon at a tenner a pop.

I downloaded the controller app (Smart Life) to my phone and tablet and set them up on my wifi network. It only took about 15 minutes to get them connected and scheduled. I can now remotely control my lights and heating from anywhere. They can also be programmed for sunrise/sunset and temperature changes outside based on location. Some more playing experimenting is required but I've been impressed with them so far.

Thanks for this, I've been getting fed up with a few noisy mechanical timers and these are just the job. Likewise I don't want a fully smart home but these are very handy. One thing I found on an Amazon review worth mentioning is that when trying to connect to the smart plug make sure the appliance isn't plugged in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Installation of a couple of security cameras at home. Lovely little weekend project.
    I was doing a survey in a school yesterday and got chatting to some guys putting security throughout the school and they recommended the Hikvision system. I went shopping straight after!
    Just a quick observation if I may. It may be a good set up for a school which has a secure room to store DVR but not much use apart of being a deterrence for the home security system unless you complement it by UPS and it allows you to store triggered footage in a 'cloud' for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by VDG; 5th November 2018 at 15:56.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Row of sycamore figs in my back garden needed a 'haircut' for the winter. They provide tons of shadow on the patio in the summer, but when they start dropping their leaves... So I always try to be ahead of the moment. Always a monumental task. Those leaves contain some sort of dust that make me feel like I have severe cold! Out came the facemask to protect my nose and mouth! 👍 Lots of afternoon sun now on the patio and in the dining room!

Menno

A job that should be simple but one that I spend an inordinate amount of time checking and double-checking...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    A job that should be simple but one that I spend an inordinate amount of time checking and double-checking...

R
    Not only for you, for me as well. I know what you mean.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Just a quick observation if I may. It may be a good set up for a school which has a secure room to store DVR but not much use apart of being a deterrence for the home security system unless you compliment it by UPS and it allows you to store triggered footage in a 'cloud' for obvious reasons.
    More deterrent than anything. It would be good to find out how to store the footage on-cloud though.

More deterrent than anything. It would be good to find out how to store the footage on-cloud though.
    Have a look at this tutorial https://youtu.be/VrYW5ENCc3o Mind you, I could not find any price plan for cloud storage on Hikvision w/s so I am guessing they allow customers to use third party solutions like Google+, Amazon etc. Perhaps it's worth to give their tech support a call to find out.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

It was a very small project, and completed over the past week or so, but I’m pleased with it.

Cast iron Spongs Bean Slicer in need of a spruce up.

So off to the workshop for a shot blast

Few coats of enamel in traditional Brunswick Green

Blades sharpened and the detail lettering highlighted and it’s as good as new

Master

I’ve got a few left to hang but it’s gone quite well so far. I found the beams for two and the plaster fixing worked for the other

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I’ve got a few left to hang but it’s gone quite well so far. I found the beams for two and the plaster fixing worked for the other
    Looking good, my wife has asked for something similar in the bathroom.

Just one question, they aren't going to interfere with your motion sensor?

I've been looking for something to do over the winter to get me out of the house so have built myself a sturdy wood store down the side path. Fully ventilated with a galvanized steel mesh interior frame for strength and a sloping roof. I've spent this weekend cutting up dried logs and then splitting them with an axe. It's now full and ready for the harsh winter weather / Brexit / zombie apocalypse (delete as applicable).

After last weekend's wood store, I fancied doing something indoors (or at least under cover) so I cleared an area of the garage and made a small work area. A fairly quick job but self satisfying. Now all I need is a heater...

The wife’s coat hanger storage thingamajig gave up so got some sturdy cup hooks from ebay, scavenged the shaft from a worn out patio brush, a length of garden cane and a few dabs of epoxy . . .

F.T.F.A.

A quick build using spare bits of timber to get the bike up out of the kids way.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Needed another shed to work on bikes so picked one up from tiger sheds and kitted out the inside a few weeks ago.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

An hour produced the following.... my wife is trying to reduce plastic waste so showed an interest in my DE razor (another little hobby of mine is proper wet shaving).

So I made a nice little leather case for a nice Edwin Jagger DE razor of her own with a girly pink handle. I personalised the case for her with a Scotty dog (she’s Scottish and I nickname her Scotty )

Pleased with the outcome, but now I want one for my own travel razor... that’s another project for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    An hour produced the following.... my wife is trying to reduce plastic waste so showed an interest in my DE razor (another little hobby of mine is proper wet shaving).

So I made a nice little leather case for a nice Edwin Jagger DE razor of her own with a girly pink handle. I personalised the case for her with a Scotty dog (she’s Scottish and I nickname her Scotty )

Pleased with the outcome, but now I want one for my own travel razor... that’s another project for another day.

That is lovely , if you’ll make to order pls pm me

Master
    I removed all the “luxury” wood trim from my Jeep, wrapped it in something less offensive and refitted it. Not too bad for seven quids worth of vinyl. Just the gear knob to finish.

^^^ I note you als converted from left hand drive to right hand drive. Excellent work!

Master
    All in an afternoon’s work

Master
    No photos, and not the weekend, but spent a few hours this afternoon in the Cumbria torrential rain, putting up a new fence in my garden to stop my 6 month old labrador getting into the farmers field and being shot (he came round to warn me yeaterday). Wouldn't mind but his sheep keep coming into my garden as his field fence is knackered! Note: my dog has never harmed any sheep/lamb but he does get a bit excited so can't really blame the farmer.

Spent the sunny bits of today cleaning out my koi filters, changing my UV bulbs and generally giving the pond a quick once over. Luckily I seem to have the same amount of fish as when I last checked in November.

Hydromodded my new G-Shock
    100cst silicon oil. Works a treat, and even the auto el still works.

Farkle time.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Hydromodded my new G-Shock
    100cst silicon oil. Works a treat, and even the auto el still works.
    Sorry , I had to ask but what does this entail?

Maybe I could do mine ....

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Sad BBQ, lives outside. Wood on right rotted away. Hole in base where ash pan used to hang.

Now happy, spend=£14.75
    Serving area now steel and granite tile for chopping. £3 frying pan sans handle in the hole.

12 gauge also sad, stock has a few little splits and auto safety has been sticking. Not too bad for a £300gun that's done me the last 6 seasons.

Also, replaced the interior lights in my up! GTi with LEDs, much nicer and brighter. Mid job photo 1/3 done.

Now I'm going to diy a bottle of Caol Ila 12yr old open

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Sorry , I had to ask but what does this entail?

Maybe I could do mine ....

This was my inspiration
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

Tough Solar Hydro Mod Method

Master
    This was my inspiration

Looking at the guide would immersion in the oil and agitate to remove bubbles, prehospital a ultrasonic cleaner though that might lead to cavitation?

Blog Entries
    This was my inspiration

Thanks for the info. Out my depth though but much appreciated

Turned this old thingIMG_2685.jpg

Into this
    IMG_2702.jpg

Master
    2 new ‘fake’ lawns for my folks
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 10th May 2019 at 08:10.

Made some garden furniture today.

This is:

1.5 x 200 x 100 sleepers cut into 600mm lengths
    7.5m of 8” x 2” cut into 1500mm lengths
    Some 4” x 2” for supports

And a first coat of black Osmo oil

Got to to make another one tomorrow.
    Last edited by ed335d; 1st June 2019 at 15:35.

Master
    Nice work!

Master
    Picked this up locally (won on eBay for £29) after a bit of a clean it just needs a new brick and a bit of a spray on the internals
    Perfect for my new house
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Well, I spent a few hours hacksawing a seized choke out of a shotgun barrel, the gunsmith didn't want to touch it due to time and effort so aided by a loupe I gingerly cut through the choke and chiselled it out with a sharpened and hardened screwdriver, then using a new choke and cutting compound I recut the barrel threads and seated the new one, it feels tight as a drum just need to put a few rounds through it to check.

mike

Latest piece of garden furniture

Bit of modifying for the colour bar in the girls‘ salon.

They started off as cd racks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Bit of modifying for the colour bar in the girls‘ salon.

They started off as cd racks.
    Looks like a Nespresso counter!

The Weekend mini project thread

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Looks like a Nespresso counter!
    I’d not thought of that, I suppose it does! The hair colour tubes aren’t as long as a box of nespresso pods though.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 1st June 2019 at 15:54. Reason: F***ing autocorrect!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I let the gardener trim my other half's bush today...

It was far too hot to do it myself.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

This. A self made pot plant stand for my Mother-in-law to have in her garden. Made from pallet wood, it's taken me the last four weekends and multiple cups of tea. It's fairly square at each corner and level, it includes an integral drainpipe to catch rain and fill up a small jug so she can water the plants in the stand.

IMG_3130.JPGa little carpentry in the woodworking studio....lathe bench in pro....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

IMG_3239.JPG
    And some rubbing down on the (original 1884 porch woodwork

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Became this:

Another high quality but badly neglected tool back to being beautiful again.

As I don't have a heater in the garage, it's pleasant to be in there in the warm weather without having to have gloves, a fleece and a hat on. I've been working on this for the last few weekends. Its a combined bird and bee house for my niece to put in her garden.

Sent through the ether by magic

Another ship's lamp restoration completed. This one I have given to a great friend who made me a base for a previous lamp and a wooden mount for a WWII U-Boat clock.

Various major parts having been polished and are hanging here having been lacquered. The curved reflector hanging on the right had been sanded but was yet have the inner surface painted. If you look at the shelving on the right, on the second shelf up is the glass for the lamp. On the top shelf you'll see an identical lamp that I will restore when I can summon the enthusiasm to do the metal polishing.

The finished lamp.

Changed the head gasket today

Not a good sign when I got inside it. Lots of carbon as a result of the mixture being too rich.
    It will clean up, It is a 75 year old jeep after all its bound to be a bit grubby.

The cause of all the issues, a tiny nick in the existing gasket meaning cooling has been leaking in to the cylinder meaning lots of white smoke. The cylinders and valves are in good condition thankfully.

This project will run in to next weekend. It will take me a while to clean it all up and put it all back together again.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Too wet to take my weekend car out for a run today, so a little bit of detailing in the engine bay.