closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Clasp polishing

Journeyman

Clasp polishing

Hi all,
    After being lucky enough to get a submariner after being on the waiting list 10 days I managed to scratch the clasp within the first week.
    Nothing deep just surface but on an otherwise perfect bracelet it stands out.
    What product etc would you recommend for me to try and polish it out at home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can imagine the first scratch is quite upsetting especially on such a watch. I’d live with it and let Rolex deal with any ‘refinishing’ at its next service, by which time you’d have no doubt picked up a few more marks. Wouldn’t worry too much, it will make the next few scratches less painful.

Master
    A fibreglass refinishing pen, I use one on all my watches with a brushed SS finish

Journeyman
    Scratch it a little more and then it won’t stand out so much!

Grand Master
    If you need to ask how to rectify damage yourself, you're better off giving it to someone to do. People will make various suggestions, but you don`t really want to be learning on a watch of this value.

Take it to your Rolex AD, who may be able to help. Bill Rice at Beverley could sort it easily, he's very helpful and he'd probably do it whilst you wait.

Be more careful with it, or accept it'll get scratched and you'll have to live with it.

Paul

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    A fibreglass refinishing pen, I use one on all my watches with a brushed SS finish
    That'll make it less noticeable but it won`t rectify it.

I never understood why the term 'polishing' was used in the watch world for 'brushing'. The two are basically polar opposites.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I never understood why the term 'polishing' was used in the watch world for 'brushing'. The two are basically polar opposites.
    True. Refinishing is the correct term, that covers everything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    That'll make it less noticeable but it won`t rectify it.
    Depends on the depth of the scratch, desk diving swirlies can be brushed out completely, I’ve successfully done it on a Sub, EXP-II, EXP-39 and a PO-Ti

Journeyman
    Your right - being the first mark is annoying. And I guess trying to sort something on a watch of this price myself might be foolish. Best I don’t get a tin of brasso out?

Master
    First time really annoys you, after the tenth time, which happens fairly quickly, you learn to live with it.

My AD told me, the only time to remove scratches and dings is when you send it in for the 5 - 7 year service.

It's good advice which I have learned to live with.

Master
    As above, live with it until the first service, this will be the first scratch of many! I just got my SubC back from St James after its first service at 6 years old and it’s like getting a new watch all over again!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’ve noticed a mark on one of the links on my new watch.
    Not sure if I did it or if it was done when the watch got adjusted.

I was even thinking of getting a replacement link.
    But I’m sure that is silly money and it could happen again.
    Last edited by MDSWATCH; 18th September 2022 at 19:27.

Craftsman
    If you are going to wear it it will get scratched/marked. As others have said wait till the first service. I remember how sick I felt when I marked the right side of my subc the first week I owned it. Three years later it was the first of many.

Journeyman
    Beers guys,

How regular should I consider getting it serviced? And is going to an AD best advice for servicing?

Second time i wore my Sub cLV... wife and I got in car, reached for the gearstick and clashed my watch with wife’s engagement ring resulting in a scratch on the highly polished side of the case! Probably couldn’t have done it if we had tried!

Annoyed but also kinda relieved as it’s going to happen at some point and if i had managed to keep it pristine for ages to then mark it I would probably have been more annoyed.

Its life.

Try always to remember that it's a watch. It's an object to be worn, tell the time with and, in most if not all cases, show off a bit with.

I agree with those who think you should look after your things in general, but if you own a thing and are afraid to use it for fear of daily wear and tear then one has to ask oneself if one can really afford to own the thing - or at least wear it regularly for its intended purpose
    - "afford" not meaning "have the money to buy it initially"...

Craftsman
    Just leave it as it is. It won't be long before you add some more. I had the same problem with mine. I was a bit gutted at first,but then hey ho.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A fine Garryflex block - kept very strait with a guide.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmason View Post
    Beers guys,

How regular should I consider getting it serviced? And is going to an AD best advice for servicing?

Up to you, some do it every few years, some once a decade, some not at all until there’s an issue with time keeping.

The warranty on your new Rolex is 5 years, so if you feel inclined I’d suggest 4 years 11 months. It’ll come back like new and a 2 year warranty on work carried out and the replacement worn parts

Journeyman
    Up to you, some do it every few years, some once a decade, some not at all until there’s an issue with time keeping.

The warranty on your new Rolex is 5 years, so if you feel inclined I’d suggest 4 years 11 months. It’ll come back like new and a 2 year warranty on work carried out and the replacement worn parts
    Sounds like good advice- cheers

I've never received any replacement worn parts on any of the Rolex watches I've had serviced bar one vintage piece, were I had to pay a lot more for the privilege.

Don't send for a service at 4 years 11 months.

Time your watch carefully in the final year of warranty. If it's outside the cosc standard, I'd put up with it, if possible, until a few months remaining, then go to your AD and complain about the time keeping.

Rolex used to occasionally do a full service if the watch wasn't running perfectly. But... They no longer carry out a refurb as part of the warranty work - so you might just get a regulation of the movement, and as such it would only remain within the original warranty period - However, you should be fairly confident that it would run fur a few more years all ok.

Personally, I'd be thinking of around 10 years for a service, but all depending on the condition/look of the watch and the running. Having a modestly large collection there is no way in hell I'm having all my watches serviced every 4-5 years - that's a simple move to maximise profits!
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kwmason View Post
    Hi all,
    After being lucky enough to get a submariner after being on the waiting list 10 days I managed to scratch the clasp within the first week.
    Nothing deep just surface but on an otherwise perfect bracelet it stands out.
    What product etc would you recommend for me to try and polish it out at home?

Chill out more to come trust me.

Journeyman
    More to come - great chilled attitude:-)

It's true. Don't worry about the marks, it's just a part of ownership. All but the very worst dents can be sorted out (even some of those with micro welding) at a future service - just wear and enjoy.

My first Rolex was worn every day for around 5 years. I left it for a service after it fell (I dropped it on the crown) and it came back like a completely new watch!
    It's just a matter of time...