closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Introduction and a question about which Rolex Deepsea to go for

Journeyman

Introduction and a question about which Rolex Deepsea to go for

Hi All,

I’ve recently joined up and have spent a lot of time reading the forum with interest.

A bit about me...... my name is Mike and I live ‘ooop north’ (in the North West) I’m in my late thirties.... god, is this starting to sound like a dating ad?

Anyway, I’ve always been interested in watches, it started in my twenties with an Omega Seamaster Quartz, then an auto version of the same, then a Speedmaster and various others and finally an Omega PO (the 45mm model) which was accidentally lost earlier this year (gutted!)

I prefer larger watches, and my wrist can carry them easily without looking ridiculous, so I’m now in the process of looking for a Rolex DSSD. I’m on the waiting list at two ADs for a 126660 Black, but I’m way down the list and currently looking at 18-24 month wait.

My options are:

1). Sit back and wait for a 126660 from an AD (I have very little patience so this is going to be very difficult!)

2). Source a lightly used/recent 126660 from the likes of Chrono24. Where they can be purchased for £9600-£10,000 which isn’t a million miles away from new list price.

3). Go with a 116660. A 2008 to 2015 can be picked up for between £7 and £8k relatively easily.

I gusss I should consider cost as well, Is the new 126660 worth the £2500/£3000 premium over a 116660 in great condition with a two year warranty from a respected seller?

What do you guys think?

Craftsman
    Welcome!

I'd get a used 116660 and then when you get the call from the AD for your 126660 I'd sell the 116660, if the market stays as it currently is you probably wouldn't lose money on the 116660.

I prefer the mk1 ,the redesigned bracelet and movement don’t really bother me . The watch itself is cracker and so underrated,had subs ,seadwellers and gmts which in my view are nothing compared to the dssd

Grand Master
    I would never pay over list to own a watch, never. Patience is a virtue.

The alternative is to buy something else, at the end of the day it's only another watch and it could be argued that all the steel Rolex divers look pretty much the same anyway.

Welcome,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I would never pay over list to own a watch, never. Patience is a virtue.

The alternative is to buy something else, at the end of the day it's only another watch and it could be argued that all the steel Rolex divers look pretty much the same anyway.
    I am sure Mike like the rest of us value your answer to his question Paul.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    at the end of the day it's only another watch and it could be argued that all the steel Rolex divers look pretty much the same anyway.
    What is the point of engaging in any discussion on this forum if that's your way of looking at it?

I would agree with the suggestion above that you buy now at £8k and sell for not far off that when your number comes up at the AD. If you're in a position that you can wait to sell the 116660 until after collection of the 126660 then who knows, you might even find you prefer the earlier version for whatever reason.

Journeyman
    For me it has to be the D-Blue. I can’t stop looking at mine when I have it on. Like others say you can always chop one back in when your chosen one arrives. I do though like to think that the list are shortening with the card holding by some dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    If you want to wait and pay RRP buy a Deep Blue.
    If you want One now save a few quid and buy the nicest pre-owned you can.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the replies so far, really appreciated.

Ok, so I think the plan of buying a 116660 now whilst maintaining my place on the waiting list, is a good shout. I can always turn down the 126660 if/when the AD makes the call. Like has been mentioned, I may decide the 116660 is perfect for me and not want to change.

So, this leads onto my next question. I’ve seen a 2008 116660 which has the MKI dial (with distinctive long "F"). It’s from a reputable seller who I’ve dealt with before and offer a two year warranty. Great condition, boxes and docs all present. I can secure this for £7100.

OR, there are newer ones available from other suppliers with a one year warranty, and the prices are nearer £7700 to £8000.

I actually quite like the look of the MK1 face, Plus the two year warranty is reassuring. My thinking is that if I bond with the watch I could always get it serviced by Rolex toward the end of the two year warranty and I’d still have saved money over the slightly newer ones.

What do you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikelancs View Post
    What do you reckon?
    I reckon that sooner or later you have to make your own decisions, good luck with your choice.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Deep seas are not difficult to get hold of - at least the black version. You won’t be able to buy the first version from a dealer and sell that with no loss once the new version comes along - expect to make a four figure loss. (Edit - see you can get one for £7100, so maybe not a four figure loss, but probably not far off as it is a ten year old watch)

Best bet is go somewhere and try the old version on and then make a decision. I have the original Deep Blue and love it and see no justification to upgrade. It is certainly not worth an extra £2k plus

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Hi All,

I’ve recently joined up and have spent a lot of time reading the forum with interest.

What do you guys think?
    This is the best bet imho

https://www.miltonaires.com/product/7176

You can buy from a forum stalwart, 2 year warranty, good price and unlikely to depreciate much, and if you keep a couple of years maybe even appreciate a little.

Bonus time, you can visit and collect it!!!!!!

get nice early mk1 with flat"S" got to be a cert to increase like the LV flat 4....

Ok, so I think the plan of buying a 116660 now whilst maintaining my place on the waiting list, is a good shout. I can always turn down the 126660 if/when the AD makes the call. Like has been mentioned, I may decide the 116660 is perfect for me and not want to change.

So, this leads onto my next question. I’ve seen a 2008 116660 which has the MKI dial (with distinctive long "F"). It’s from a reputable seller who I’ve dealt with before and offer a two year warranty. Great condition, boxes and docs all present. I can secure this for £7100.

OR, there are newer ones available from other suppliers with a one year warranty, and the prices are nearer £7700 to £8000.

I actually quite like the look of the MK1 face, Plus the two year warranty is reassuring. My thinking is that if I bond with the watch I could always get it serviced by Rolex toward the end of the two year warranty and I’d still have saved money over the slightly newer ones.

What do you reckon?
    Welcome! :)

Good luck with your hunt and make sure keep us updated with pictures when you settle for one!

Master

What do you reckon?
    I would certainly go with the majority view and get a 116660 now. Doesn't cost anything (unless you have paid a non-refundable deposit) to stay on the 126660 list.

I'd consider service history in making a choice. Has the 2008 model had any attention from new? Having said that, I wouldn't necessarily have the £500/600 Rolex service. If the case and bracelet are in reasonable nick, I'd just get the watch serviced and seals checked.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

You can buy from a forum stalwart, 2 year warranty, good price and unlikely to depreciate much, and if you keep a couple of years maybe even appreciate a little.

Thanks for the link, I hadn’t spotted that one!

Reassuring that it’s from a well respected seller too.

Food for thought!

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    get nice early mk1 with flat"S" got to be a cert to increase like the LV flat 4....
    Yes, that’s my thinking. I actually prefer the look too!

thanks for the link

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Surely you jest... ?

I do not think you will go far wrong with the one from Miltonaires, you will also have the reassurance that it has been throughly checked and as described.

If not purchasing new from an AD then Miltonaires are as good as you can get.

I second this - your best option!

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Surely you jest... ?
    No, not in the crazy world of Rolex

Master
    £7100 for a DSSD, regardless of age, is a great price from a dealer providing it has the box and papers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    £7100 for a DSSD, regardless of age, is a great price from a dealer providing it has the box and papers.
    I'd agree with this, it's an amazing watch for the price. The advice of buying one and waiting for "the call" makes the most sense too.

Blog Entries
    Welcome and enjoy TZ.

Excellent choice although not everyone’s cuppa, I think no other Rolex divides like a DSSD.

For years I just did not get the beast but first time popping TooTall’s on at a Norwich GTG a few years back I was sold instantly.

It’s a chunk and you will get the ‘bracelet taper is wrong’, ‘top heavy’ and ‘doesn’t fit’ brigade chipping in but adjust the bracelet right and after a few hours it is just like any other SS Rolex.

I have not tried the new kid so can’t comment but as said buy a black or push to a JC and you will not go wrong, I think both of mine may have even appreciated a tad, not that factors one bit in their ownership for me.

They do pop up on TZ and you might even get a PM.

Have fun

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I remember when these went for 4.5k on here and you could not give then away... the watch world seems to have gone totally bonkers 

Journeyman
    Hi All,

Well I pulled the trigger on a 2008 116660 with the MK1 face. Purchased from Watch Club in London and got a very fair deal, two year warranty and it arrived this morning. I’m delighted with it.

Hopefully the pic upload works..

Last edited by Mikelancs; 6th October 2018 at 17:34.

Craftsman
    Hi All,

Well I pulled the trigger on a 2008 116660 with the MK1 face. Purchased from Watch Club in London and got a very fair deal, two year warranty and it arrived this morning. I’m delighted with it.

Great watch...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    Great watch...
    Thanks! I’m delighted with it. I will remain on AD waiting list for a 126660 and when/if I get the call I’ll make a decision. In the meantime, I’m intending to enjoy this beauty on my wrist as my daily wearer.

Thanks to everyone who helped and replied with opinions, really was useful.

Blog Entries
    Hi All,

As a matter of interest, I thought watchclub were very expensive personally, do you mind me asking how much it was?

Journeyman
    As a matter of interest, I thought watchclub were very expensive personally, do you mind me asking how much it was?
    No problem at all. I paid £7000, it was advertised at £7195.

Craftsman
    Can't go wrong at that price (IMHO) from a dealer-I've seen them go for more on eBay from a private seller.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Can't go wrong at that price (IMHO) from a dealer-I've seen them go for more on eBay from a private seller.
    Cheers. Yeah, that’s what I thought. I spent quite a lot of time looking at prices on various websites and this was by far the best condition for the money, plus a two year warranty.

Master
    Well done. Did it have the original warranty card?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Well done. Did it have the original warranty card?
    Hi Haywood,

Yes, it’s a complete set with the original warranty card, swing tag and booklet/boxes too. Serial number on card card matches the watch etc.

If this one hadn’t worked out for whatever reason, there was one on your site I had my eyes on, which looks very good value too!

Mike

Master
    Hi Haywood,

Yes, it’s a complete set with the original warranty card, swing tag and booklet/boxes too. Serial number on card card matches the watch etc.

If this one hadn’t worked out for whatever reason, there was one on your site I had my eyes on, which looks very good value too!

Mike
    Sounds good; surprisingly reasonable price. Enjoy it!

H

Journeyman
    Hi All,

Something is nigglign me, and I’m not sure if it should be or not! Would (yet again) appreciate your feedback.

In the last 24 hours the watch has lost 11 seconds. Now I know it’s a ten year old watch, but would this be acceptable? Obviously I have a two year warranty, but if it’s soemthing that might settle down on its doown over a few days I’d rather not jump the gun and send it back yet.

It was sent to me from London by Royal Mail, so has probably been thrown about like crazy, which may not help?

Thanks
    Mike

Blog Entries
    My 2012 DSSD lost 2 seconds after 5 days of being on my wrist, I use it for timings everyday for work and it’s the most accurate Rolex I’ve had! ... 11 seconds in a day isn’t great!

Hi All,

Something is nigglign me, and I’m not sure if it should be or not! Would (yet again) appreciate your feedback.

In the last 24 hours the watch has lost 11 seconds. Now I know it’s a ten year old watch, but would this be acceptable? Obviously I have a two year warranty, but if it’s soemthing that might settle down on its doown over a few days I’d rather not jump the gun and send it back yet.

It was sent to me from London by Royal Mail, so has probably been thrown about like crazy, which may not help?

Thanks
    Mike
    I would give it a week or so to settle down. You don’t know how long it’s been sat. Also you can try face up/face down or on it side crown down or crown up at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Very long rambling PM sent...... off