closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Pelagos woes

Craftsman

Tudor Pelagos woes

About a month ago I bought a black dialled Pelagos. It was a big purchase for me. I’m not a really a collector or a flipper and I’ve saved for a watch for a long time. I bought it from Hugh Rice in Harrogate.
    On the day of the purchase, coffee had been drank, hands had been shaken and I was just walking towards the door when I noticed something glint under the crystal. Sure enough there was something under the crystal. Closer inspection by the dealer revealed it to be a metal filing, presumably left over from manufacture. There was no other black dial in stock so I was allowed to go home with the watch until a replacement arrived.
    Over the past month I’ve really enjoyed the Pelagos. It ticks a lot of boxes for me and I almost enjoyed playing ‘hunt the filing’ as it moved around on top of the dial.
    I was contacted last Friday to say the replacement had arrived so today I went to collect it. I received a brand new Pelagos and on inspection everything was great.
    An hour later, whilst sat in a traffic jam I decided to set the bezel and noticed it had a gritty feel and got stiffer with every click until it jammed solid.
    I returned to the dealers and using quite a bit of force they freed the bezel but it would grind to a halt within a few clicks every time it was turned. The dealer tried suggesting that it was new and probably needed wearing in but changed his mind when he saw the look on my face!
    To be fair they were great after that and offered another exchange and hinted at favourable prices if I wanted to buy a different watch but due to the fact that it’s a 90 mile round trip to Harrogate, and I didn’t want to make an impulse purchase I went for a refund.
    Very disappointed really, I really like the Pelagos and had bonded well with it! More over it’s probably a simple fix with the bezel.
    I guess I’m just unlucky but has anyone else had any problems like this with a Pelagos or Tudor in general? Not sure if I’ve lost faith in the brand or not.
    On the plus side, I know I like the Pelagos so could probably be tempted with a second hand one, and I also get to go watch shopping again! First world problems and all that...

I think you have been unlucky. I bought my Pelagos 3 years ago and the bezel action is smooth, without any indication of stiffness.

Master
    A worrying tale for Tudor QC......

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I think you have been unlucky. I bought my Pelagos 3 years ago and the bezel action is smooth, without any indication of stiffness.
    Yes, the first one had a great bezel action.
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 3rd December 2017 at 22:05.

Craftsman
    Got my Pelagos last Saturday and.have nothing but praise for the watch.
    Build quality is great and no issues whatever.
    Must have just been unlucky, go for another and all being well with the issues you have had you should get a great deal.

Craftsman
    That’s is worrying, Beckham must be getting paid out of the QC budget

Unlucky mate. Maybe God is trying to tell you something? Like buy a Steinhart, for example
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I had one with lots of lint etc so that went back under warranty. A pal on here had one and experienced similar bezel issues too, when i saw his watch the bezel had dropped off!

Lovely watch so worth trying another one..

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Unlucky mate. Maybe God is trying to tell you something? Like buy a Steinhart, for example
    Well it's what God wears.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Very unlucky.

Mine was perfect and i posted in another thread I wish I hadn't flipped it.

It won't be too long until my have the blue dial version.

Apprentice
    What a mess, I’ve had nothing but perfection from my Tudor and it’s 3 years old. The idea that with the newer watches there’s a decrease in quality control is upsetting. Probably it’s just very bad luck, but after two tries, who can blame you for being gun shy. The old: “It will loosen up with time.” Isn’t acceptable. Tudor’s too expensive (big purchase for me also) and has too high a reputation for this kind of problem. Good luck with your decision. I’ve had good luck with second hand Rolex and Tudor, it is well worth considering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Very soon after buying my Heritage Ranger I noticed something sat on the underside of the crystal. Doesn't look like metal, could be dust, could be an imperfection. I've learned to live with it as this was my 40th birthday present to myself and I wanted to wear it without concern about the odd mark here or there. The fact that when they swapped the strap for me on the day of pick up they caused a nick in each of the lugs sort of forced my hand on this approach though.

Other than that it's been faultless.

Master
    No issues with my pelagos at all. Dial is lovely and smooth to use and the dial is free of any contaminants. Very robustly made watch. If you like it try again as finding a watch I like enough to fork over a lot of money for does not happen a lot. Also, FYI, I got 10% off rrp and the first service included in the sale. This is the in house movement variant.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 4th December 2017 at 10:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    the dial is free if any contaminants.
    Always a notable bonus when you pay thousands for a watch.

Craftsman
    Seems like I’ve just been unlucky which in a way is a good thing because I really like the watch. I may go back in January and see if I can strike a deal on another one. Third time lucky? I certainly can’t think of any other watch that I want at the moment. A second hand Rolex does sound very tempting but the potential pitfalls of buying one in the lower price ranges (which I would be) puts me off a bit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Ha! Maybe? After all, He has made my wrists flat enough to wear one...😀

Craftsman
    I tried one on the other day and thought the bezel was much stiffer than say the Black Bay...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Tudor has been great for me.

Craftsman
    Well judging by everyone’s comments I have just been really unlucky. I’ve had a think over the past few days and there is really nothing else out there (in my price range) which I like as much as the Pelagos.
    My plan is to get back in touch with the original dealer, who have been really good so far, and see if I can get a good deal on a new one as a good will gesture.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Well judging by everyone’s comments I have just been really unlucky. I’ve had a think over the past few days and there is really nothing else out there (in my price range) which I like as much as the Pelagos.
    My plan is to get back in touch with the original dealer, who have been really good so far, and see if I can get a good deal on a new one as a good will gesture.
    I manage 10% discount and first service free. Good luck.

Last edited by Stuno1; 5th December 2017 at 11:33.

Ha! Maybe? After all, He has made my wrists flat enough to wear one...
    Flat wrist? Try this:

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands...r-03-92-diver/

They've even got the case screws lined up correctly!

Well judging by everyone’s comments I have just been really unlucky.
    Agreed.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Flat wrist? Try this:

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands...r-03-92-diver/

They've even got the case screws lined up correctly!
    Strangely quite like that, but then I have been drawn to the traditional square B&R in recent months

Master

Think you're going to find issues with any watch, I always think it's not so much the issue but how the issue is handled by the company.

Incidentally there is a thread on WUS on the pelagos showing it has rust issues with the clasp. Few people who've used them for diving or just leisure in the sea have reported the clasp has started to rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I manage 10% discount and first service free. Good luck.

That's a cracking pic of the blue, probably not totally representative of how right it looks to my eyes in the metal though.

I'd love one, I go back n forth between black & blue. If the blue looked like that pic I think it'd be blue all day but would probably go black thinking of the longevity of ownership.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Think you're going to find issues with any watch, I always think it's not so much the issue but how the issue is handled by the company.

Incidentally there is a thread on WUS on the pelagos showing it has rust issues with the clasp. Few people who've used them for diving or just leisure in the sea have reported the clasp has started to rust.

That's a cracking pic of the blue, probably not totally representative of how right it looks to my eyes in the metal though.

I'd love one, I go back n forth between black & blue. If the blue looked like that pic I think it'd be blue all day but would probably go black thinking of the longevity of ownership.
    It does look almost royal blue in that picture. I have noticed in different lights it does look different. It’s quite vibrant in the day and direct sunlight then quite subdued in the darker lights. It’s a lovely colour.

Master
    That Blue one above does look great - if it was 300m rated to make it slimmer and had less text on it I would be 'all over it' ! to the OP, why not put up a WTB request for one on here? you could pick one up in great nick and save yourself a packet...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    That Blue one above does look great - if it was 300m rated to make it slimmer and had less text on it I would be 'all over it' ! to the OP, why not put up a WTB request for one on here? you could pick one up in great nick and save yourself a packet...
    I think I’ll see what the dealer can do for me but putting up a wtb is definitely an option. I had a good look at a blue one which they had in stock and it definitely appears lighter in the flesh than in the above picture. More of a ‘lego’ blue I would say. It still looks great as a more casual watch but as this is going to be a big purchase for me I need to find something which is a little more versatile.

Craftsman

Rust?

Are they not titanium clasps?

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Nope.

https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/p.../m25600tb-0001

Master
    I believe the clasp and case back are steel. The rest is titanium.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think I’ll see what the dealer can do for me but putting up a wtb is definitely an option. I had a good look at a blue one which they had in stock and it definitely appears lighter in the flesh than in the above picture. More of a ‘lego’ blue I would say. It still looks great as a more casual watch but as this is going to be a big purchase for me I need to find something which is a little more versatile.

https://www.chronext.co.uk/best-sellers-advent-calendar

Have a look here

Craftsman
    Yup,followed the link and it's steel clasp alright but surely it must at least be stainless? I don't get it,all my steel watches from the low to high end have spent time in salt water with no ill effects.what sort of steel is it for gods sake? recycled Ford Kas.

Master
    Yup,followed the link and it's steel clasp alright but surely it must at least be stainless? I don't get it,all my steel watches from the low to high end have spent time in salt water with no ill effects.what sort of steel is it for gods sake? recycled Ford Kas.
    Agreed. Hearing about rust was disappointment. Be interesting to see what Tudor does about it. Personally foe swimming and holiday mine will be on rubber but still, should not happen.

Ffs don't give bremont any more ideas
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Ha! Not a great fan either.

Craftsman
    In the interests of fair play I must say I love my BB red early ETA and have used it well with no problems (or rust)

Craftsman
    Which link? The only thing I’m seeing on the above link is Chronext’s best sellers?

Craftsman
    In the interests of fair play I must say I love my BB red early ETA and have used it well with no problems (or rust)
    I tried a Black Bay but like others I found the case to be a bit ‘slab sided’. I’m also one of those frustrating people who likes a date on their watch.

Journeyman
    No problems with either of mine (black and blue models), both purchased here! Love it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app