closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Smart" Jeans

"Smart" Jeans

I wear Levis all the time but I see these fly guys wearing slick looking jeans and mine just look like beater jeans in comparison (even when new).

I don't want anything too youth/fashion, but was wondering if there's something out there that's a bit more upmarket in denim?

I'd like to stay below a budget of £100 - I'm in Huddersfield, not Milan.

Nudie
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Try Henri Lloyd they do from beater to smart very well in my opinion

The best fitting jeans for me, classy and not “mid life crisis” hipster jeans, I’m way too old for the sort of sh!t
    Last edited by nunya; 10th August 2018 at 17:49.

Diesel in a depp blue and a slim fit are my go to for smart

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Nudie
    Second this. Best jeans I've bought.

Nudie
    ^^^ This. Nudie have lovely detailing and the organic denim Made in Italy jeans are excellent.

Edwin. A whole range of different fits and washes but the denim is always top quality.

I've got a couple of pairs of Levis selvege which don't look anything like your normal beater Levis.

I used to like Diesel jeans but I can't find a pair I like nowadays. Maybe I've just got old.

Replay jeans are OK – nice detail and denim.

Grand Master
    You are just getting into a good denim at that price point and if you can stretch yourself a little then Tellason are a great jean
    RIAC

Master
    There is no such thing as 'Smart' jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Second this. Best jeans I've bought.
    I've tried quite a few nice pairs of nicely made jeans.
    Nudie are my favourite and easily available in budget. It's just a question of finding the right fit

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    ^^^ This. Nudie have lovely detailing and the organic denim Made in Italy jeans are excellent.

Edwin. A whole range of different fits and washes but the denim is always top quality.

I've got a couple of pairs of Levis selvege which don't look anything like your normal beater Levis.

I used to like Diesel jeans but I can't find a pair I like nowadays. Maybe I've just got old.

Replay jeans are OK – nice detail and denim.
    Pretty much this advice, especially regarding Diesel, shame they used to be great.

For smart denim go uniformly dark (none of this fashion fading) and well fitted, so try them on and get a good fit. Straight or tapered leg, no baggy legs, not skinny and certainly not too long. Turn ups would be occasion dependent, but are not smart per se..

Nudie are my current favourites. Replay, while having great denim are a bit of an odd fit and sit a bit low on the hips. Guess it depends on the cut and your body shape

Japanese denim is very highly regarded, I wore Evisu in the 90's but it got a bit flashy in later years and some of them are stupid money now. This is a good overview..

http://hiconsumption.com/2017/08/bes...-denim-brands/

As an aside, my favourite casual jeans are the chavtastic Crosshatch Series FiftyFive, just one particular model though that cost me £12 a piece (I bought 4 pairs), which just goes to show that it's not what you wear, but how you wear it..

Momotaro for me as a smarter jean, Samurai for casual.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Momotaro for me as a smarter jean, Samurai for casual.
    Can you get those for his budget?

Only if you've got one leg.

Perhaps not currently with the exchange rate but used to be able to. Luckily they last a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Perhaps not currently with the exchange rate but used to be able to. Luckily they last a long time!
    You used to get a whole tray of milsubs for a hundred quid in the old days

Nudie
    Correct.

Craftsman
    Albam do some good raw and washed denim in slim, Regular and straight fit. Plain, no stitching on the back pockets. I've just bought some slim leg raw and they look great.

https://www.albamclothing.com/collections/jeans

Criminal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll be checking out Nudie after seeing this post, but for me I’d steer you towards G Star Raw denim, Replay Jeans and even Super Dry. Should all fall in the £60-£120 bracket and offer up most fits and reasonable cuts/quality; these occupy my wardrobe as a trying to look good 40-something; but I could just being doing it all wrong; who knows?

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

What fresh hell is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    What fresh hell is this?
    Kings new clothes stuff mate, first world probs where folk convince themselves that jeans that cost £1.00 to make really are worth +£100.
    they'll be banging on about 'never' washing them and keeping them in the freezer next.
    Last edited by number2; 10th August 2018 at 23:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    There is no such thing as 'Smart' jeans.
    They are generally all I wear for work, and I think they look “smart enough”

I prefer Levi’s, but can’t get the cut that fit best anymore so will try some other brands next time I’m travelling :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Marks and Spencer. Wrangler Texas.

ook

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

ook
    Another piece of the jigsaw falls into place,,,

Blog Entries
    Whatever.

ook

"This topic was discussed in 2014! How dare you start a new thread! Nothing has changed!"

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Kings new clothes stuff mate, first world probs where folk convince themselves that jeans that cost £1.00 to make really are worth +£100.
    they'll be banging on about 'never' washing them and keeping them in the freezer next.
    Meanwhile there's someone on a jeans forum somewhere saying that anyone who pays more than 200 quid for a wristwatch is an idiot because his timex keeps perfectly good time.

Hiut denim’s organic range is £150.
    Made in Wales, free repairs for life, excellent customer service.

Meanwhile there's someone on a jeans forum somewhere saying that anyone who pays more than 200 quid for a wristwatch is an idiot because his timex keeps perfectly good time.
    There was a nice 'Timex' in the Friday thread yesterday as it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

ook
    LMAO

There was a nice 'Timex' in the Friday thread yesterday as it happens.
    I also have one, I really like it. It has survived the cull that many much more expensive watches have not. But it doesn't mean that I think that anyone who likes their Blancpain is an idiot.

You used to get a whole tray of milsubs for a hundred quid in the old days
    I suppose I still harbour hopes that the exchange rate will improve in the future.

I also have one, I really like it. It has survived the cull that many much more expensive watches have not. But it doesn't mean that I think that anyone who likes their Blancpain is an idiot.
    Fair point Dave nor do I consider Hublot or Invicta owners idiots, however, and no doubt I'm asking for trouble here, Jeans were cheap work wear for the masses, so people buying them at inflated prices, sometimes pre-worn or even pre-torn makes something of a mockery of the whole concept, furthermore those little Indian, Chinese or Indonesian fingers stitching on the pockets rarely see much of the £100's that the ''on trend'' subscribers to ''What Jeans Weekly'' splash out in the name of the so called perfect fit, I'm guessing branding and marketing play no part in these choices.

Surf's up and the suns out have a good one.

Fair point Dave nor do I consider Hublot or Invicta owners idiots, however, and no doubt I'm asking for trouble here, Jeans were cheap work wear for the masses, so people buying them at inflated prices, sometimes pre-worn or even pre-torn makes something of a mockery of the whole concept, furthermore those little Indian, Chinese or Indonesian fingers stitching on the pockets rarely see much of the £100's that the ''on trend'' subscribers to ''What Jeans Weekly'' splash out in the name of the so called perfect fit, I'm guessing branding and marketing play no part in these choices.

You could say the same for most items of clothing you wear.

Another vote for Hiut jeans. They'll even make your jeans to order if requested.

Master
    Hugo boss do nice smart and still quite casual jeans for around that budget.

Nudie are about as ethical as you can get in a mainstream clothing company. Check it out.

Selvage in a good cut to suit your age and shape, pay attention to the rise as low cut is not smart. Edwin ED 55 is a good shape (for me) and just bought some black horse lane E5 in the sample sale for £80.
    Nudie if your budget is lower and they do loads of cuts.

I run about 6 pairs at a time and buy a new pair when a pair gets retired so always have a smart pair and faded

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Another vote for Hiut jeans. They'll even make your jeans to order if requested.
    Another vote here. Wear mine in the office and fit the ‘smart’ bit very well as they come very dark.
    Regular fit works well for me.
    Also like (a lot) the fact they are made in Uk also.

Journeyman
    For value for money you can’t beat Uniqlo. I use these for work.

My nicer pairs are nudie, 7 for all mankind and stone island. I’d read about Hiut and will be getting a pair next given above comments.

Grand Master
    Maybe I’m missing a trick somewhere, I’m happy with Levi 501s in black or dark blue, worn ‘em for years, tgey fit me nicely. Getting them cheap from Florida helps, my sister brings me a couple of pairs back every year. The bark ones aquire a genuine faded/worn look after a while, far better than the contrived distressd rubbish the youngsters buy.

Ironically, I binned a pair recently because the knees had worn into holes........should’ve put ‘em on SC

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Ironically, I binned a pair recently because the knees had worn into holes........should’ve put ‘em on SC
    That's all the rage again apparently.. I do find it weird that you can buy brand new jeans with holes in the knees and totally distressed, but that's what the youth want.

Even worse were those jeans that had no material except at the seams and hems, i.e. no legs at all!

Smart jeans = chinos. Or buy some any 5 pocket trousers like those worn by golfers.

But if demin is what you actually want then Edwin do a good range, but my personal preference is True Religion (especially those made in the USA). Failing that Armani stretch jeans, but more expensive.

Have a look on Brown Bag they do have lots of different brands.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I like quality denim and not really sure where all the Nudie comments are coming from to be honest. Uniqlo are a great budget denim or have a look at Edwin as previously mentioned. If you can stretch your budget then look at sites forLeonardo by Tramarossa

Craftsman
    Hiut👍

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Ermenegildo Zegna are the best.

You’ll have to buy the sales to get one in budget.

Journeyman
    The simple advice to go for a ‘smart’ pair of jeans is to go for dark raw denim, minimal detailing and a good fit.

Try on lots of pairs and finds something that fits well, they should feel small when new as raw denim tends to give. After a few wears they should be comfortable and won’t sag so still look good. I’d avoid anything with a stretch element as after a few wears and washes they start to sag at the knees and bum. Personally, a slimmer fit always tends to look smarter and offers a better silhouette when dressed up with shirts and shoes etc.

Avoid like the plague excessive detailing or artificial wear. Zips, holes even fancy pocket stitching are a big no

Brand wise it’s personal. At any budget something good should be available, uniqlo is great for the money and I personally wear Edwin and Tellason. Nudie offer a lot of options with different fits and great quality for the price point. If you’re near one of their store they offer free repairs And alterations

Master
    Another vote for Hiut made really well and in the U.K.

APC selvedge. No pockets details or stitching. Best quality. Nudie are bobbins these days