closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SKX mod - Coin edge bezel recommendations

Craftsman

SKX mod - Coin edge bezel recommendations

Hi all,

I have an SKX171 and would like to swap out the bezel for a coin edge. After a bit of browsing I've found them at dagaz, crystal times and murphy manufacturing.

Does anyone have experience of these? Recommendations on what to buy or avoid? I'm planning on using a standard SKX007 insert if that's relevant.

Thanks,
    George

I got a crystaltimes one and it fully broke my SKX. When it was placed on it wouldn't turn, and there was no longer any gap underneath it or play to remove it again.

I thought the gasket must be snagged, but no. When I finally removed it (using one of those vice type bezel removers with 4 blades that are really meant for removing the bezels from sports watches, not divers), the case got damaged. I was expecting this as it was not the appropriate tool and there was no gap at all that the blades could even get started in, but as there was no way anything else was going to get under there the watch was already lost to me.

I then experimented with the bezel to try and see what had happened - I put it back on several times over and it still was seized and similarly could not be removed by normal methods.

I then tried removing the gasket altogether, but the same thing happened (it was not the gasket getting snagged).

I then tried leaving out the click spring and the same situation - the bezel was seized and there was no play to try and pry it off using anything but the vice thing.

This left me with the conclusion being that the crystal times bezel was made to suit certain dimensions which my watch did not possess. I doubt very much the bezel itself was distorted causing these problems, as it clicked onto the case very pleasingly each time with no issues.

I had to break the watch for parts and sold these off individually, recouping more than the watch cost me, which enabled me to buy a brand new replacement and have change. I still have the case and bezel here now as these were both scratched up.

Herein ends my tale of woe with the crystal times coin edged bezel for SKX... Though many other people have fitted them without problem.
    Last edited by 200mwaterresistant; 9th July 2018 at 19:10.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I got a crystaltimes one and it fully broke my SKX. When it was placed on it wouldn't turn, and there was no longer any gap underneath it or play to remove it again.

I thought the gasket must be snagged, but no. When I finally removed it (using one of those vice type bezel removers with 4 blades that are really meant for removing the bezels from sports watches, not divers), the case got damaged. I was expecting this as it was not the appropriate tool and there was no gap at all that the blades could even get started in, but as there was no way anything else was going to get under there the watch was already lost to me.

I then experimented with the bezel to try and see what had happened - I put it back on several times over and it still was seized and similarly could not be removed by normal methods.

I then tried removing the gasket altogether, but the same thing happened (it was not the gasket getting snagged).

I then tried leaving out the click spring and the same situation - the bezel was seized and there was no play to try and pry it off using anything but the vice thing.

This left me with the conclusion being that the crystal times bezel was made to suit certain dimensions which my watch did not possess. I doubt very much the bezel itself was distorted causing these problems, as it clicked onto the case very pleasingly each time with no issues.

I had to break the watch for parts and sold these off individually, recouping more than the watch cost me, which enabled me to buy a brand new replacement and have change. I still have the case and bezel here now as these were both scratched up.

Herein ends my tale of woe with the crystal times coin edged bezel for SKX... Though many other people have fitted them without problem.
    Thanks for responding Rob, much appreciated. That all sounds a bit of a nightmare and slightly off putting to be honest! Maybe I'll just use a standard SKX bezel instead....

I've had Dagaz and Yobokies skx bezels and never had a problem. The last one I had was a Crystal Times bezel for a SRP Turtle, and that was also perfect. I reckon you had a rogue as I haven't read any negative feedback on the WUS Seiko mod threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I've had Dagaz and Yobokies skx bezels and never had a problem. The last one I had was a Crystal Times bezel for a SRP Turtle, and that was also perfect. I reckon you had a rogue as I haven't read any negative feedback on the WUS Seiko mod threads.
    I agree with this. It would definitely be common knowledge if there were problems across a batch - I was unlucky. Maybe I should contact crystal times (forget his name now, is it Alex?) and offer to send over the case and bezel to look at.

It was fine in the end as I got a replacement with no loss, but it was also the end to me modding any of my watches beyond a crystal swap or bezel insert that's for sure!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Thanks, I've not heard of them before. I'll take a look.

You could give Murphy Engineering a try. I've use both their coin edge and pilot bezels in the past and the quality and fit is excellent but they are not ratcheted so you lose your clicks. Further details of my experiences here and here and a snapshot below.

Martin

I’d highly recommend Dr Seikostan on eBay. Excellent quality.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/onesecondcloser

The one I got from Yobokies for my Turtle is a great fit .......... could be a little tighter though - but I guess it could be fixed with a slightly thicker “spring-wire”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another endorsement for the Yobokies coin edge bezel. I have one on my skx and it works great. It was easy to fit and works with the OEM insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Draygo View Post
    I’d highly recommend Dr Seikostan on eBay. Excellent quality.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/onesecondcloser
    Same guy as the "one second closer" site. Heard it's good quality stuff.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the comments. I'd prefer to keep the clicks so that's murphy out, and the yobokies website drives me mad! He seems to have a great reputation but I get frustrated trying to browse his photobucket pages.
    I didn't appreciate that OSC and Dr Seikostain were one and the same. Thanks for their ebay link, there's a really nice looking bezel insert there too so that could be the answer.

Cheers,
    George