closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chrono Oris at great price

Chrono Oris at great price

I promised I would not post another Massdrop, but I have seen people mentioning wanting one of these and the price is very good.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/oris-ch...35369293656693

Master
    Saw this today, got a few Oris, but this one doesn't do it for me.

Master
    what is the price please? I'm not a member. And do you have to pay import VAT? looks like a US based site?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    what is the price please? I'm not a member. And do you have to pay import VAT? looks like a US based site?
    $999
    Plus the dreaded HMRC fun

Master
    These do look nice, but at 39mm seem a bit small. Anyone know how they wear?

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    These do look nice, but at 39mm seem a bit small. Anyone know how they wear?
    39 mm is not small. it is the ideal size for someone under 120 kg and 2 m plus in size.

All that rubbish about 44mm plus watches is annoying the hell out of me. It was not long ago when 36 mm was considered a standard gents size.

Please just think about what seems to be comfortable on your wrist. It won' t be something oversized, I'm quite confident when it comes to that.
    Last edited by Bernard; 5th March 2018 at 10:43.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    39 mm is not small. it is the ideal size for someone under 120 kg and 2 m plus in size.

All that rubbish about 44mm plus watches is annoying the hell out of me. It was not long ago when 36 mm was considered a standard gents size.

Please just think about what seems to be comfortable on your wrist. I won t be something oversized, I'm quite confident when it comes to that.
    I think I know what I like, and don’t need you to tell me!

I have a 40mm watch on, and it is fine due to the design of the watch. This watch has a lot of case and not so much dial - look at the design - therefore at 39mm it seems small.

Have you seen one or tried it on? If not, then how about wait for someone who has??

Craftsman
    I like the aquis, but this doesn't do it for me..

I think I know what I like, and don’t need you to tell me!

I have a 40mm watch on, and it is fine due to the design of the watch. This watch has a lot of case and not so much dial - look at the design - therefore at 39mm it seems small.

Have you seen one or tried it on? If not, then how about wait for someone who has??
    If you talk about what you like you won't hear me.
    Taste is personal.

However if I see people say some watch measuring 39 mm is small I disagree.

Master
    Looks small to me...which I think is due to the thick case sides, small dial and black ring on the dial. I have another 39mm which wears fine, but I wouldn’t wear this one

That does look small without the benefit of actually being a small case. The lack of definition on the case sides and small dial mean it just visually shrinks.

They wear brilliantly. Lovely watches, from memory I paid less than that for mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Looks small to me...which I think is due to the thick case sides, small dial and black ring on the dial. I have another 39mm which wears fine, but I wouldn’t wear this one

In what way does that look small?

Maybe you should stick to fashion brands.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

+1!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

Maybe you should stick to the bearpit

Maybe you should stick to the bearpit
    I believe his comment to be quite appropriate.
    You might consider a move to the bearpit yourself.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like it,but how is it a chronograph or am I missing something?

Journeyman
    Looks small. As for fashion brands; have you seen the size of the aquis? It's huge.

Master
    I believe his comment to be quite appropriate.
    You might consider a move to the bearpit yourself.
    I asked a simple question, based on proportions about how it wears which is perfectly reasonable

I think you were the one who started this route by instructing me what I should and shouldn’t do and think. You are far better suited to he bearpit.

To suggest I should stick to fashion brands is idiotic - which makes you idiotic for agreeing.

Master
    There's no doubt this is small by recent fashions and definitely by Oris's own trends (small seconds? Ouch if you don't have 8" wrists!) I'm not surprised that they're having to offer such a discount, as very few seem to appreciate the more subtle and elegant models at present.

In my opinion it's nigh-on perfect for a retro style chrono. I'm very tempted.

I asked a simple question, based on proportions about how it wears which is perfectly reasonable

I think you were the one who started this route by instructing me what I should and shouldn’t do and think. You are far better suited to he bearpit.

To suggest I should stick to fashion brands is idiotic - which makes you idiotic for agreeing.
    You are the idiot who seems to think watches 39 mm in size are small. By suggesting that you have qualified yourself for the fashion brand category. Now please go play there.

If you actually could read, you would have noticed I didn't tell you what to do. Stop posting rubbish about your interpretation of what was posted.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post

In my opinion it's nigh-on perfect for a retro style chrono. I'm very tempted.
    Agreed, there's subtle and there's silly, subtle every time for me,

Michael Korrs for some.

Master
    You are the idiot who seems to think watches 39 mm in size are small. By suggesting that you have qualified yourself for the fashion brand category. Now please go play there.

If you actually could read, you would have noticed I didn't tell you what to do. Stop posting rubbish about your interpretation of what was posted.
    Hmmm - this seems to tell me to think about what seems to be comfortable....

All that rubbish about 44mm plus watches is annoying the hell out of me.

Please just think about what seems to be comfortable on your wrist.
    Not sure where I mentioned 44mm, but I did ask how it wears which shows I was already thinking about that.

Not sure how thinking about how a 39mm watch wears can annoy the hell out of you!!

Anyway, I won't engage with you anymore (ignore function I think). I need to go look for some gaudy fashion watches...

PS - my other 39mm watch which wears just fine due to the DESIGN...

And a couple of my other 40mm that clearly show I'm into fashion brands..

See you later limp wrist...

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    It's not. They do a (larger) chrono version, but this is a 3 hander.

Hmmm - this seems to tell me to think about what seems to be comfortable....

Not sure where I mentioned 44mm, but I did ask how it wears which shows I was already thinking about that.

Not sure how thinking about how a 39mm watch wears can annoy the hell out of you!!
    Thank you for proving that reading and understanding what you just read is above your capabilities.
    I didn't say that thinking about how a 39 mm watch annoys me at all.
    If you had actually READ my comment, you would have noticed the reference to 44m and bigger watches was a general one.

Anyway, I won't engage with you anymore (ignore function I think).
    Hurray, off to the bear pit!

I need to go look for some gaudy fashion watches...

Be my guest. Enjoy.

See you later limp wrist...
    Very mature. Showing your true colors.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    It's not. They do a (larger) chrono version, but this is a 3 hander.

But isn't that the whole reason for the name "Chronoris"? The originals were Chronographs.

Seems weird

Mark

Master
    I really like that, very cool 60-70s feel. Reminds me of the speedy Mk II.

Craftsman

Such wording (and your overall aggressive conduct) is absolutely uncalled for. mtagrant simply stated that for him the watch seemed a bit small. No other judgment was made. The next post was yourself getting rather agitated for no
    discernible reason.

For the record, to me 39mm would also seem on the small side (especially on the posted photos) - but that is based on my wrist size.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Such wording (and your overall aggressive conduct) is absolutely uncalled for. mtagrant simply stated that for him the watch seemed a bit small. No other judgment was made. The next post was yourself getting rather agitated for no
    discernible reason.

For the record, to me 39mm would also seem on the small side (especially on the posted photos) - but that is based on my wrist size.

I wasn't the one starting to call someone else an idiot. mtagrant was.
    I clearly expressed that
    1) 36 mm was quite a normal size for men until very recently;
    2) that 39 mm is by no means small;
    3) 44 mm etc. - basically "oversized" watches are annoying me and ;
    4) usually they aren't comfortable.

This forum is changing. More and more people want Rolex, AP and bigger bigger bigger watches.
    The interest in nice, well designed pieces seems to be deminishing more and more and I am sad about that.

Master
    Maybe Chrono just means Chrono, which is time, there is no mention of a graph anywhere.

I wasn't the one starting to call someone else an idiot. mtagrant was.
    I clearly expressed that
    1) 36 mm was quite a normal size for men until very recently;
    2) that 39 mm is by no means small;
    3) 44 mm etc. - basically "oversized" watches are annoying me and ;
    4) usually they aren't comfortable.

This forum is changing. More and more people want Rolex, AP and bigger bigger bigger watches.
    The interest in nice, well designed pieces seems to be deminishing more and more and I am sad about that.
    Hmmm. Look for what it worth, I'd say Mtagrant wasn't judging the watch as somehow inferior at 39mm, just that it might appear small mostly, he explained, due to the design (wide bezel, optical illusion of small black ring on dial etc). He even asked if someone could vouch for how it wore. Seems to me he doesn't have a problem with all 39mm watches. Or indeed any 39mm watch, given that he didn't even discernibly have a "problem"with this one, just fearful that it might appear small due to the dial/bezel design unless someone who actually owns the watch could vouch otherwise. He also owns at least one 39mm, as he's shown. He certainly isn't suggesting that only larger watches are "nice and well designed" and that smaller watches are universally undersized.

But that's very different from your position isn't it? That all "oversized" watches, across the board, are uncomfortable, irritating, gauche and suitable only for fashion victims or fat people. Is that right? Or am I wrong and do you think people should be allowed to judge for themselves what size watches they feel comfortable wearing?

Personally I love some smaller sized watches but couldn't ever wear one because they make me feel uncomfortable on my fat arms. Just as wearing a too small T-shirt would make me feel uncomfortable. I don't judge people's taste for watch sizes any more than I would judge a small sized T-Shirt vs an XL. Wear what fits you. Or what you like. Your choice of size alone won't prove you are more elegant or have better taste than anyone else. In fact, it seems to me that people who care about such judgements are more interested in "fashion" than someone who couldn't care less about what other people wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Maybe Chrono just means Chrono, which is time, there is no mention of a graph anywhere.

See the timeline here:

https://www.oris.ch/en/history/1970-1988

It was originally a chronograph, which is why it seems odd to change it to a non chrono now

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Croftrock View Post
    Hmmm. Look for what it worth, I'd say Mtagrant wasn't judging the watch as somehow inferior at 39mm, just that it might appear small mostly, he explained, due to the design (wide bezel, optical illusion of small black ring on dial etc). He even asked if someone could vouch for how it wore. Seems to me he doesn't have a problem with all 39mm watches. Or indeed any 39mm watch, given that he didn't even discernibly have a "problem"with this one, just fearful that it might appear small due to the dial/bezel design unless someone who actually owns the watch could vouch otherwise. He also owns at least one 39mm, as he's shown. He certainly isn't suggesting that only larger watches are "nice and well designed" and that smaller watches are universally undersized.

But that's very different from your position isn't it? That all "oversized" watches, across the board, are uncomfortable, irritating, gauche and suitable only for fashion victims or fat people. Is that right? Or am I wrong and do you think people should be allowed to judge for themselves what size watches they feel comfortable wearing?

Personally I love some smaller sized watches but couldn't ever wear one because they make me feel uncomfortable on my fat arms. Just as wearing a too small T-shirt would make me feel uncomfortable. I don't judge people's taste for watch sizes any more than I would judge a small sized T-Shirt vs an XL. Wear what fits you. Or what you like. Your choice of size alone won't prove you are more elegant or have better taste than anyone else. In fact, it seems to me that people who care about such judgements are more interested in "fashion" than someone who couldn't care less about what other people wear.

Whatever. You clearly haven't read my initial post.

I don't feel inclined to waste another minute explaining.

Whatever. You clearly haven't read my initial post.

I don't feel inclined to waste another minute explaining.
    Fair enough. I did read your original post though, and the subsequent ones; I refer to them all throughout my post, even quoting you directly a few times. That's why I posted, as I honestly thought they all added up to something a bit unpleasant.

Genuinely, if you think I hadn't considered your first post maybe it doesn't read as you intended. It's not as if you were responding to someone who'd said something ridiculous or reactionary like "small watches are for losers". So your posts seemed belligerent and snobbish to someone admittedly sensitive to the issue, such as me.

I'll continue to wear watches I think suit me best without thinking they are inherently better or worse than smaller watches or that I'm better than other people based on the size of watch I prefer.

Actually, I do think I'm better than other people but that's because of my amazing ability to make perfect scrambled eggs. Honestly, they're just unbelievably good. I'd have much thinner wrists if this wasn't true.

Journeyman
    Just looking at that on massdrop, then went and looked around at other stuff on sale: a jacket designed to conceal weapons!? Bit insensitive that, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by acis View Post
    Just looking at that on massdrop, then went and looked around at other stuff on sale: a jacket designed to conceal weapons!? Bit insensitive that, at best.
    Not really. Some states don't allow for open carry (even printing through a shirt revealing what's beneath) so there's quite the market for things designed to maximise concealment. The current circumstances aren't really 'current' given the nation's history, so these things will have always been available and therefore may always be seen as insensitive if you view things from certain perspectives.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 5th March 2018 at 21:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    See the timeline here:

https://www.oris.ch/en/history/1970-1988

It was originally a chronograph, which is why it seems odd to change it to a non chrono now

Mark
    Oris explained it as a tribute to the original. They already produce chronograph versions, this is the smaller/cheaper date version.

Chronoris is being treated as a range of watches, all racing inspired.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Not really. Some states don't allow for open carry (even printing through a shirt revealing what's beneath) so there's quite the market for things designed to maximise concealment. The current circumstances aren't really 'current' given the nation's history, so these things will have always been available and therefore may always be seen as insensitive if you view things from certain perspectives.
    I do find the whole concept appalling, I admit. Why would a person want to walk around with hidden guns, plus hidden extra magazines apparently? It strikes me as a fetishisation of war, walking around, going down to the shops, whatever, all the time believing you are at war with other people, who are going down the shops ....

Anyway, given the number of companies that have recently pushed back on that NRA mentality, perhaps Massdrop isn’t being insensitive, maybe that’s just the type of company they want to show themselves to be? I don’t like it so have written to them, explained my feelings, and asked that they delete my account. Don’t mean that to sound sanctimonious, it’s all personal choice and opinion obviously, but just to clarify I do think they are wrong and won’t buy from them for that reason.

I like the cut of your jib, well done.