closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so - what were you wearing 11 years ago

Craftsman

I'd have been wearing this. Still about two years away from buying my Speedmaster at that point. I would have had a Sony Ericsson mobile of some description (w8??), and I seem to recall I had an iRiver MP3 player before succumbing to the iPod classic (which I still have).

so - what were you wearing 11 years ago

I had been a member here for one year. I owned a Motorola RAZR flip phone (which I thought was very cool), a Palm PDA and I had just bought my first Seiko - a blue dial/blue bezel Seiko Flightmaster...

I carried cash notes in a silver money clip with an 'Indian head' penny on it - that at least hasn't changed as I still carry cash in the same clip. I have never kept cash in a wallet....

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mycroft; 5th July 2017 at 23:38.

Master
    11/12 years ago was a bit of a turnaround point for me,

My old man and uncle had some 'quality' watches Omega, Oris, IWC and Panerai etc. which had perked my interest in watches,
    prior to 2005 I'd acquired a few 'homage' watches in the far east but didn't have a decent genuine watch.

I got married in April 2005 and prior to the date I decided it was time for my first 'proper' watch so I bought my Seamaster midsize for the occasion, shortly followed by my first Panerai on our 'Honeymoon'

So in July 2006 it would have been these 2

Panerai long gone but Seamaster still here (keeper)

at the time my phone would have been a Nokia 6310 and is now a Motorola G4

I've never been a smart dresser so money was a couple of scrunched up notes and a few coins in my pocket, I have progressed to a card/note clip though

I think it's great you guys were taking photos of your 'set up' back then

Journeyman
    I was wearing one of these

I thought is was nuts spending 500 pounds on a watch. What's even more nuts is I just had it serviced and it cost 200 pounds !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Superb. Do you still have it?
    Sadly...no

Journeyman

image gets rotated by the forum...!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Does anyone carry cash these days?

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes, I do. What's with people buying a few quids worth of groceries and paying by card? Takes ages for the transaction to be authorised. Meanwhile I have cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Craftsman
    Tag Monza sold because at some point it became too small when I purchased my first Omega PO.
    Still love it though and regret selling.
    Phone I think was some Samsung Clam!

Today probably still wear my PO most, but have a selection of other "larger" watches to choose from.
    Phone - I Phone with functions that you would never have dreamed possible 11 years ago.!

Which begs the QN - Did they really land on the moon in 1969!? / do all you speedy fans believe?.....one for another day perhaps.

Master
    LOL......

I ran one of these.......

..and one of these, before company decided to stick a sim in the BB.

and wore this - (stock pic as wasn't a TZ member back then so didn't take a million pics of watch)

Banned
    Sold this tw steel California recently... 😐

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Master
    I had a Tag 2000 classic which was my first (and at the time) only proper watch which I bought about 2 years before. Can't recall the exact phone but around the time I either had the Sony Eriksson T610 which was rather popular at the time or what I thought was very fancy, a Samsung X828 which was the thinnest phone you could buy! Always wanted one of those Nokias above though but as I recall, they were the same price as an iPhone now 10 years ago!

Wallet has changed but contents pretty much the same.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    2006, my first "grown up" watch! An Omega Seamaster 300 Chrono (black face, not sure on exact ref number). Sold on eBay a couple of years ago to fund the BLNR on my wrist today.

Phone was, I think a Blackberry Pearl.

Wallet was Mont Blanc, which I still occasionally use, and is still looking like new!

Craftsman

My only watch 11 years ago and got it on my wrist today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

This! £45 from Argos in 2005. It has climbed mountains, snorkelled in the med and survived in the freezing cold and baking deserts! It also gets a hard time in its day job. It's outlasted a g shock and two Nite's and is still going strong. It's had about 5 straps now. Ill be a sad man when it finally packs up.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post

This! £45 from Argos in 2005. It has climbed mountains, snorkelled in the med and survived in the freezing cold and baking deserts! It also gets a hard time in its day job. It's outlasted a g shock and two Nite's and is still going strong. It's had about 5 straps now. Ill be a sad man when it finally packs up.

Do you drag it around behind your car?! I don't think I've ever seen so man scratches on a watch!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Do you drag it around behind your car?! I don't think I've ever seen so man scratches on a watch!
    It probably has been at some point!

Watch:

Phone:

PS: this is a shot from 2012. I had just moved from Sweden to Luxembourg and for a short period carried phones and Blackberries from both jobs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    It probably has been at some point!
    I bought a 6139 which you could barely see through to the dial it was so scratched, was quite cool seeing how perfect the dial was underneath, after I serviced it and fitted a new crystal it was like a totally different watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was wearing my newly acquired 16610 which I had spied in an AD window whilst on my way to a funeral!

I had wanted one since I saw Thunderball in the 60s but sadly never really bonded with it - I think it was the flat crystal.

It was one of my first sales here - though of course would be worth a lot more if I'd kept it!

The watch it replaced in Feb 2006 was a 1603 - by chance I took it in for a service today and saw its innards for the first time - it dates to 1971 and the movement looked brand new!

Craftsman
    This was about 11 years ago. My first grown up watch.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A green Heineken wallet, a Mitsubishi phone (!) and my only watch, the one my parents had given me on my 18th birthday:

Today: a nice leather wallet by Castelijn & Beerens, an LG Nexus and a Tudor BB 36.

11 years ago it would have been a Quiksilver Velcro wallet, an office provided Nokia and a Suunto Vector that I had bought new in Singapore in 1999. At that time all excess funds were going to overpay the mortgage.

The wallet is now a Samsonite, Trove or Velcro of similar design to the Quiksilver and I carry an office provided iPhone. I still wear the Vector regularly but have a couple of other choices.

2006 it was a Dunhill wallet (sidecar) which is still going strong although using a Secrid recently. IWC Spitfire Mk XIV with a white face bought in New York and either a Nokia 8800 or E75 can't quite remember when switched over.

Blog Entries
    It was this...

... & only this... Until 2008 - when I found this place...

Many watches later - I still have it, only it now looks like this...

z

Craftsman

so - what were you wearing 11 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I bought a 6139 which you could barely see through to the dial it was so scratched, was quite cool seeing how perfect the dial was underneath, after I serviced it and fitted a new crystal it was like a totally different watch.
    A new crystal plus fitting will probably cost three times as much as the watch originally did! I'm quite used to them to be honest. All part of the character. I certainly don't ever wear this watch anywhere I'm bothered about it's appearance!

Edit: I'm referring to my 11 year old Citizen from earlier in the thread of course, not your 6139!
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 6th July 2017 at 23:46.