closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite holiday watch and why ?

Craftsman
    I was unfortunate to be beaten unconscious and mugged several years ago in Marbella, and since that time my holiday watch has always been the one below. I know for most destinations I'm no more at risk on holiday as I am in English cities, but rational or not that event has determined my holiday watch choice ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    > Actually I was commenting on the suggestion that a valuable watch can just be added to your home policy at no extra cost, which I don't think is generally true.
    I didn't make that suggestion. My advice was to check your policy; the details vary a lot between insurers. With mine, anything under a certain value (I think £1500) is automatically covered. Above that you need to specify it on the policy. A £5K watch adds about £30 to the annual premium, which is fine. A small price to pay for peace of mind, really: if it wasn't insured, I would probably never wear it out of the house!

Quote Originally Posted by nellyh View Post
    I was unfortunate to be beaten unconscious and mugged several years ago in Marbella, and since that time my holiday watch has always been the one below. I know for most destinations I'm no more at risk on holiday as I am in English cities, but rational or not that event has determined my holiday watch choice ever since.
    Nice watch for the hols anyway - and awful tale: the only time I was mugged, it was at knife-point (2 big black thugs in Paris: I didn't resist - though I'm not quite sure if I should be proud or ashamed of that!) but they left me whole at least (and they didn't even bother to look at my watch - quartz anyway!).

Banned

It's a beauty , i'd be proud to call that my holiday watch, skx009 on a super oyster is a great combination

Seikoboy

Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Why thank you :)

Anyone else take a trio with them? Or am I breaking the rules by picking three.
    I usually take three when we head off on a cruise. We're going in a couple of weeks and I'll be taking these three :

BBN does daytime duty and shares evenings with the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    I usually take three when we head off on a cruise. We're going in a couple of weeks and I'll be taking these three :

BBN does daytime duty and shares evenings with the other two.

For a cruise - why not? I'd probably take a couple at least............

Al

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    For a cruise - why not? I'd probably take a couple at least............

Al
    I'd be worried that if I were on a cruise I'd end up buying something on board. Definitely need to take three at a minimum just to remind yourself that you have too many already :D

Sent from my SM-G925F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    This isn't going lo be a popular answer on a watch forum.

Holiday watch = zero

I never take a watch on holiday, as while vacationing I never really have to be anywhere at any particular time, most relaxing as my working day is mainly appointments, meetings and deadlines, the usual work BS

Apprentice
    Off to Florence and Barcelona this year, so bought a Seiko 5. SK809? Both cities are rife with pickpockets at the moment and therefore my Rolex DJ and my Speedie will be staycationing.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I never take a watch on holiday, as while vacationing I never really have to be anywhere at any particular time, most relaxing as my working day is mainly appointments, meetings and deadlines, the usual work BS
    What's a watch got to do with telling the time?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    What's a watch got to do with telling the time?
    Very little of course, but if it's on the wrist I'll look at it subconsciously, as we all do, then glean an approximation of the time, which I have no need for that information while vacationing.

Besides ruins the tan lines

Holiday watch = zero

up to you of course.........

I'd laugh if you missed your check-in though..........

Al

Banned

This is the one for the beach though , bit of snorkelling , swimming , rolling around on the sand , best leave the GMT in the safe for this one

Seikoboy

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Agree with Matt. Recent thread on similar issue convinced me that g shock is the way to go for holidays and travelling. And 1 watch only. Hotel safes are Andy pandy made.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    +2. I Never take any watch which I would regret losing or dying over on holiday. Professional robbers are exactly that , they will know how to fleece a tourist. Keeping a Rolex in a hotel or apartment room safe is not a guarantee. For me I take either a G shock or Seiko Prospex Pepsi bezel on a NATO.

Banned

Great beer , great beach , great weather , gyros on the way doesn't get any better

Seikoboy

Master
    Last couple of holidays I have taken my Seiko Sumo. We tend to go on fairly busy active "holidays" rather than cruising or beach-based so a beater fits the bill nicely. That said, I am currently in Holland wearing a Rollie 14060m. I suspect that this will be my future holiday watch. No decent sports Rolex in Gassan's in Schiphol ATM by the way !

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Rollie
    Surely "Covfefe"?

Craftsman

Cool

There can be only "1"

Monster does fine

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Surely "Covfefe"?
    Glad that you think I am so bang-on-trend ! Doubt that I invented the word though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Glad that you think I am so bang-on-trend ! Doubt that I invented the word though.

Edit: a quick Google search indicates that the rap community uses this term.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NIGELW View Post
    There can be only "1"

Monster does fine

Now this is a watch I can appreciate , 1st generation monster ! It's the best monster they made , and my favourite

Seikoboy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    up to you of course.........

I'd laugh if you missed your check-in though..........

Al
    You'd laugh at my misfortune? That's nice ;)

Journeyman
    I usually take my Pelagos for beach and pool and BBR on leather for eves.

Master
    My 15yr old tag diver for developing countries and more expensive pieces for developed and lounging hols. Got to be water proof though. I have no issue with leaving a nice watch in a safe of good hotels as I imagine the staff are faced with many many opportunities to steal if they wanted to and they would have been fired or the hotel got a bad reputation if it was an issue.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Seiko SKX009 for the beach but wouldn't mind a second for the evening... maybe a Seiko Sarb035 or Hamilton Khaki.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Seems popular on the thread but I'd say the SKX is a good shout for a 'holiday watch'. Respectable looking, won't have to take it off for the water and cheap enough if it gets nicked.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    My 15yr old tag diver for developing countries and more expensive pieces for developed and lounging hols. Got to be water proof though. I have no issue with leaving a nice watch in a safe of good hotels as I imagine the staff are faced with many many opportunities to steal if they wanted to and they would have been fired or the hotel got a bad reputation if it was an issue.

I'm guessing you haven't read Ryan's story on here then?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Did he specify which hotel was it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Nope..But presume his watch got nicked from hotel safe? Not changing my mind though, fully aware of the risks, but I live in a relatively safe suburb and there are still going to be the odd mugger around in the streets of London who could take a fancy to my watch but I see it as a risk that comes with the hobby. As long as I feel like I've done the sensible thing I can reconcile it if something bad happens..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    Now this is a watch I can appreciate , 1st generation monster ! It's the best monster they made , and my favourite

Seikoboy
    Thanks Seikoboy, Almost always use this on holiday. Also have Skx007 & 031 best three Seikos

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post

Seikoboy
    Thanks Seikoboy, Almost always use this on holiday. Also have Skx007 & 031 best three Seikos

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    Did he specify which hotel was it?
    Not that I'm aware of.

I generally take my Timex digital, it's cheap, accurate and easy to adjust the timezone.

Craftsman
    I usually take one of my submariners, great for in the pool / sea, a quick wipe down and classy enough for the evening. I never take more than one though, if someone's going to rob me they'll have to take it off me rather than raid my room

I was unfortunate to be beaten unconscious and mugged several years ago in Marbella

[G]
    Really sorry to hear that mate.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Holiday watch = zero

I believe we have a winner!

I totally agree - and I feel the same about weekends nowadays. (In fact, what am I doing on this Forum? lol)

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post

I totally agree - and I feel the same about weekends nowadays. (In fact, what am I doing on this Forum? lol)
    And you will no doubt proclaim this to all who listen..........

Until you miss your check-in for the flight..............

(Then, there may be folk who mutter "that's the fud who refuses to wear a watch!"

It's not compulsory to actually LOOK at your watch, you know?

Al

Craftsman
    How I see it watches are for wearing and enjoying so have been taking at least 2 or 3
    Last time I went away I took ap for evenings and skyracer for pool beach etc
    Looking at adding a blnr so that will become beach pool watch
    Only problem I have is when leaving and have to leave room early but always get a safety deposit box at hotel reception
    I have all watches insured on a high end home and away insurance policy

Holiday's over now and back at work :(

Craftsman
    Currently away and have taken these three.
    G-shock for mountain biking and exploring.
    SARB033 for evening and meals out.
    Mako for everything else.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Off to Rhodes next month and I'll have the following with me as usual

Beach - Trusty G-Shock which can take the punishment of water sports
    Daytime - Oris Small Seconds
    Night, One of the following - DSSD
    Breitling Seawolf
    Navitimer
    Ploprof

I've done this for years now and is part of my enjoyment when on holiday, I've had a few comments when passing my hand luggage through the x-ray machine but all positive

Craftsman
    Just the one for me, GMT meaning I can easily have home and holiday time.

There can be only "1"

Monster does fine

It looks like you could use at least one additional link in that bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post

While I can appreciate the sentiment, it is actually BS.
    Unless your holiday is by yourself and involved nothing other than bumming on the beach.
    One has more freedom to have a less structured day on a holiday, time is still important- if you have a dinner reservation or to take a trip or a guided tour or meet someone etc.
    and, we would be fooling ourselves if we claim that we wear a watch only to tell time.

There can be only "1"

Monster does fine

If this was my holiday watch, I would rather not take a holiday! Prefer a G-shock to this monstrosity!

I think the new Breitling skyracer colt could be a good contender. Light, water resistant, rubber strap, scratch resistant. Im just trying to convince myself that's it's not to big (it is but do I really care)

A choice of my Dreadnought Voyager, which is perfect for long haul - and not so - diving holidays, as I can dive in it and wear it all day and keep track of the time at home, and my Breitling B-1, better for less active holidays, as I can set alarms and have a second timezone set for home and on display (easier for my ageing eyes to read than the GMT hand on the Voyager.

I also like wearing my Sinn Arktis on holiday, because it usually means I'm skiing

M.

This Grand Seiko GMT SBGM009 is my favourite holiday watch. Easy time zone change, fabulous accurate 9S56 movement, and being a Seiko, nobody notices it.

Master
    My penchant is for skx009 on the bracelet (jubilee). Sporty for pool/beach. Dressy enough for evening. The pepsi bezel pops in the sun. If stolen/damaged, not a bank breaker.
    Last edited by stefmcd; 15th June 2017 at 13:31.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    If this was my holiday watch, I would rather not take a holiday! Prefer a G-shock to this monstrosity!
    Then you have no taste fella !!!!!!!!

Journeyman

aqua-lung 200m diver

Bought new today from a padi shop changing ownership. It was cheap for seiko quartz lume like a torch and wear and forget practicality. I was gonna buy somebody on here's much more expensive chinese copy iphone but as he wouldnt entertain selling it to me??? the karma just blew my way. I love it when it does that. Oh the price 40gbp... The phone was 95... Jingling all the way to the cashino... Gonna put it on red... Or black... Decisions decisions...